Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Samuels was better than all of them as a prospect. He started all 4 years and never gave up a single sack. Didn't even allow a single pressure his Senior season.

I'd say Orlando Pace and Chris Samuels were the two best left tackle prospects I've ever seen.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^^ Completely forgot about how good a prospect Samuels was seen as.

Bryant McKinnie was regarded pretty damn highly as well.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is he considered "Elite" though?

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Master Exploder
Rookie

Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say so.

He's definitely in the Jake Long, Joe Thomas, D'Brickashaw Ferguson tier in my opinion.
Master Exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
Is he considered "Elite" though?
I think so too. Here are all the top OT prospects selected in the top 10 in the past decade:

- Tyron Smith, Cowboys
- Trent Williams, Redskins
- Russell Okung, Seahawks
- Jason Smith, Rams
- Andre Smith, Bengals
- Eugene Monroe, Jaguars
- Jake Long, Dolphins
- Joe Thomas, Browns
- Levi Brown, Cardinals
- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets
- Robert Gallery, Raiders
- Jordan Gross, Panthers
- Mike Williams, Bills
- Bryant McKinnie, Vikings
- Levi Jones, Bengals

Out of all of those, I'd say the only ones I'd put above Kalil are Jake Long, Joe Thomas, and Robert Gallery. Gallery and Thomas are the highest rated, IMO, even if they didn't go first overall like Jake Long did. Gallery went after Manning though, who was VERY highly thought of, and Thomas went after Russell and Megatron, both of whom were elite prospects at their position (heck, Megatron could very well be the best WR prospect ever).

D'Brick is probably equal to Kalil's level, and then everyone is below him, IMO.

I don't know if I think higher of Kalil than most do, but I think he's got as much potential as an OT might have, and he's got great size to boot. He's listed as 6'7 and 295, so as long as he stays close to that and doesn't go down to 280 like D'Brick supposedly does.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
You do know Kalil was the reason why Tyron Smith is stuck at RT. No doubt Kalil is the better prospect and has better potential. Kalil is a elite prospect, lock top 3 pick while Smith was a top 15 prospect in an average draft last year.
If you put Smith at LT and Kalil at RT, you would have had 2 players in new positions. By having Kalil at LT, you only have 1 player in a new position. Both were elite OL.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
If you put Smith at LT and Kalil at RT, you would have had 2 players in new positions. By having Kalil at LT, you only have 1 player in a new position. Both were elite OL.
Exactly. USC didnt want two guys in new positions going into 2010. There is nothing wrong with being a really good RT either. The move seemed to work out well for everyone involved.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kalil just doesn't seem as elite as previous top offensive tackle prospects; Gallery, Ferguson, Thomas, and Long were all better prospects. I prefer Tyron Smith as well due to his substantial advantage in athleticism. Kalil would probably go above Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith although Andre was a more dominant player (excluding concerns about weight, etc.)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
He's listed as 6'7 and 295, so as long as he stays close to that
weigh in is going to be key at combine. If he's shorter than 6'7" (let's say he's 6'5") that would shake up his value.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
weigh in is going to be key at combine. If he's shorter than 6'7" (let's say he's 6'5") that would shake up his value.
Just going on the sight test he looks 6-6 to me. What's the differance really. 6-5 is perfect height for a tackle.

Arm length would probably be more of an issue than an inch of height.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well he's good for a FG block... or 4 a year ;)
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still not sure that I wouldn't take Reiff over kalil. I like Kalil, but I'm not in love with him, but that's me.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
ULT
Rookie

ULT hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.ULT hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
he's legit 6'7"
ULT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
I wouldn't disagree with this, either.

I've said it quite often: there are no Walter Joneses, or Bosellis, or Ogdens anymore. We witnessed the golden era of left tackles. Hope you all enjoyed it, because it's unlikely we ever see that many elite HoF caliber players all physical freaks to boot) at one position as we did in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I mean, hell, a guy like Tarik Glenn (who was seen as a very good, but not quite elite tackle in that era) could arguably be better than anyone in the NFL right now.
What about Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace? They're part of that era too.
That was a golden era.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
My rankings:

1-Thomas
2-Ferguson
3-Long
4-Kalil
5-J.Smith
6-T.Smith
7-Williams
8-Okung

similar to Long, not quite Ferguson or Thomas. Just barely better than the Smiths, better than Trent Williams and Russ Okung.
Lol at D'Brick being better than Jake Long. If you really think that, you are insane. Plain and simple. Is your name by any chance, D'Brickashaw Ferguson?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I though Ferguson was a better prospect than Long b/c of his athleticism and length and ridiculous upside in pass pro. There were plenty of GMs who thought Long would be an okay LT but better suited on the right side of the line. I could see putting Long #2 and Ferguson #3, but Long certainly was not 100% superior to D'Brickashaw as draft prospects.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I though Ferguson was a better prospect than Long b/c of his athleticism and length and ridiculous upside in pass pro. There were plenty of GMs who thought Long would be an okay LT but better suited on the right side of the line. I could see putting Long #2 and Ferguson #3, but Long certainly was not 100% superior to D'Brickashaw as draft prospects.
This is spot on. There were so many questions about Jake Long's ability in pass protection. And Ferguson was VERY highly thought of as a LT prospect.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
What about Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace? They're part of that era too.
That was a golden era.
I'm aware of that, but it's a point I reiterate often, and I don't mention every single guy every single time.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
This is spot on. There were so many questions about Jake Long's ability in pass protection. And Ferguson was VERY highly thought of as a LT prospect.
Thomas and Long went 3 and 1 immediately after, and both teams were better with those guys as rookies than the Jets were with D'Brick as a rookie.

Ferguson went 4 in a draft he could have went 1 in with alot of people calling it a smart pick (in the vein of Williams, but opposite side of the ball), and it was a draft that included great prospects like Williams, Bush, Davis, the big 3 QBs, Ngata...He could have went top 5 in '05 had he come out as a junior...1 considering how crappy that draft was at the top.

These next 5 seasons as D'Brick/Thomas/Long enter their late 20's/early 30's is when they will really separate themselves as players.