Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think we may, it's all just part of the negotiation tactics Pioli employs. It's almost a battle of attrition, to see who is the last man standing. He'll hold out as long as he can because, well, he can. So we'll see. I mean don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want him to be traded, but I would rather get some big pieces for him while we can if he is going to leave.

I seriously doubt Arizona is going to go for that trade, so it's almost pointless to talk about the possibility, but if we were sitting at #5, 24 and then had two thirds, one being the fifth pick of the third, I'd be pretty content that we could add the pieces we need. Hell, we could even trade down from five, throw in our three and move up some and still get our guy, be it Willis, Landry, Nelson, etc. Then Eugene Wilson can move back to corner and we go from there...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I at least like the way Assante is handling it.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Well I at least like the way Assante is handling it.
"Ass-ante"

Spelling error, or pun intended?
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Drew R. the agent for Asante? Haha I hope he is, this makes the offseason alot more interesting! lol. If not, what are the chances Asante fires his agent to get Drew to close a big deal? Man, i love the offseason drama!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

he will end up signing a 1 year deal that states he cant be franchised next year
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:46 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's worth the money he's going to get next year though. I wasn't sure if he was midway through last season, but the guy is a legit top tier corner. Makes a ton of big plays, and not just with interceptions. Covers guys great.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do u think that if he is traded for a 1st the pats might trade into the #2 spot in the draft using their 3 first round draft picks and take CJ?
________
Glass Pipe

Last edited by OSUGiants17 : 05-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
Do u think that if he is traded for a 1st the pats might trade into the #2 spot in the draft using their 3 first round draft picks and take CJ?
Not likely. We trade down, not up. You can never be completely sure with the BB and Scott Pioli...after all, they took Logan Mankins in the 1st(and it worked out). Still, doesn't sound like something we would do.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Muckluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
If the Pats wanted to get to number 2 they could probably just deal directly with the Lions who definitely need corner help.

#2 for Samuel, 24 and 28. That trade values Samuels as a #12 pick. Assuming Samuel forces a trade I think that's fair value. I believe that the skins deal valued Briggs as a #16 pick.

I really think Samuel's getting a big deal from the Pats though. He's too young and productive to let go IMO.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Santos-Stanton47
Veteran

Santos-Stanton47 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i can see what our strategy is now. as much as a big pats fan would hate to say it, i think we signed him to a one year franchise deal to draft a first round CB, groom behind samuel, then let samuel leave after that. plus, with all that money getting tossed to morris, welker, washington, certainly unNEEDED players, you would expect for us to get a serious talk with Asante, but that seems to not go on

i think we're going top CB in round one, and not sign asante, and i hope we dont trade him, or at least not for a pick this year. im thinkin a first next year would be nice, but thats if we HAD to trade him
Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I agree with Santos, but I think he gets franchised again next year and then traded...
Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hope he doesn't wanna go any where. He's a great CB and if the Pats lost him it would be a great loss.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.
Default New Info

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=193534

Pats painted into corner: But Samuel solutions remain workable
By Albert Breer/Metrowest Daily News/ Patriots Notebook
Sunday, April 8, 2007

The mantra in Asante Samuel stat’s camp for the past month-and-a-half, was “everything is good.”

And now, clearly, it’s not.

But really, was it ever?

In the days leading up to the franchise tagging of Samuel, according to a source close to the player, the Patriots cornerback let people around him know that he wouldn’t be happy if the team slapped him with that designation. That was following comments near season’s end that he wanted to hit the open market.

And yet, when the Patriots pulled the trigger, Samuel’s camp suggested he was fine with it. His father, Jasper, said “We expected them to want to franchise him.”

Then in mid-March, weeks after the tag came down, Samuel acknowledged that much himself. “I talked to them right before they did it,” he said. “And under the circumstances, no, I’m not upset about it at all.”

Read between the lines, and you can see the hedging. Consider his father’s comments last month that Samuel “just wants the team to come up to par, to what’s expected at that level. He likes playing for the Patriots, and he likes the organization. But he also wants to be compensated.”

Meanwhile, Asante Samuel refused to rule out a holdout.

What it all says is that he was playing the good soldier because he took the team’s word in good faith.

Then, he sat and watched as the Patriots forked over $20 million in guarantees to Adalius Thomas. And put more and more money into other newcomers.

Eventually, the “Where’s mine?” questions crept into his head, and it became too much to bear.

So Samuel spoke out to the NFL Network’s Adam Schefter last week, saying he’s “not happy anymore,” adding that if the team doesn’t come to the plate with something more substantial, he’ll ask for a trade.
Three things can prevent it from reaching that point:

Samuel agrees to the one-year tender at $7.79 million.

It’s clearly not what he wants and almost certainly would take a promise that the team wouldn’t franchise him again in 2008.

In talking to Schefter, Samuel made it clear he’s willing to sit out, rather than play under the tender and get franchised again. An agreement would buy the team a year to develop other players at the position - bracing for his departure - and mirror the deal the Bills struck with Nate Clements last spring.

Samuel and the Patriots come to a long-term deal.

This, of course, is what both sides want. But the terms of such a deal are where things get sticky.

Samuel and his agent, Alonzo Shavers, are on record as saying that Clements’ deal, worth $80 million over eight years with a $22 millionguarantee, is a barometer for negotiations. He might be willing to come in under that. But you better believe he’ll want more than the $16 million guaranteed (part of a 5-year, $33 million deal) reaped by Dre’ Bly, who’ll be Denver’s No. 2 corner and is nearly four years older than Samuel.

The Patroits remove the franchise tag and set Samuel free.

The benefit here for the team is minimal. There’s still enough cap space floating around the league for Samuel to cash in, and the brain trust must know - after the Deion Branch fiasco - that some team will spend.

It’d be a bit far to go to prove a point and would leave the Pats relying on a lot of injury-risk players at corner.

But the Patriots have to be careful here.

Like Branch, Samuel initially kept his mouth shut and trusted that a fair deal was in the works. The difference is that, unlike Branch, Samuel didn’t have to get permission to find his worth.

He’s already gone out and found just how deep the gulf is between the numbers the Patriots have offered and those that other teams are willing to pay. Because of that, and because of the likelihood that there’s someone willing to come close to what Clements got, the Patriots’ assessment of his worth becomes irrelevant in the eyes of Samuel’s camp. What matters now is his market value.

Where those figures lie, no one is saying. But if they’re more than what the Pats are willing to spend, then the solution becomes easy:

Tell him he won’t be franchised in ’08, sign him to the tender and draft a defensive back with either the 24th or 28th pick to develop behind him. Either that, or just trade him to a team willing to spend and get value for him while you still can.

In either case, that’ll give the Patriots time to find a replacement. In doing so, as we all learned through the Branch dealings, the team could prevent a potentially great season from being reduced to merely a good one.

Landry on list?
The rumored trade with the Redskins, which would likely ship the 28th pick and Samuel to the ‘Skins for the sixth overall pick, might be out of character for the Patriots.

But it also could bring an impact player who’d be ready to start the opener on Sept. 9. His name is LaRon Landry.

With Rodney Harrison’s injury troubles over the past two years, the Pats have gone through long stretches without a premier safety for the first time since Lawyer Milloy joined the team in 1996. Landry could be the next one, a 6-foot-1, 213-pounder who ran a 4.35 at the combine and played his first two years at LSU under Belichick confidant Nick Saban.

Getting the sixth pick would move the Patriots ahead of the Falcons, who are eyeing Landry with their No. 8 pick. Of course, there’s a lot of projecting there, but it’s worth a thought. . . .

-----------------

I assume that there is a trade on the table now. As a Redskins fan, I would be willing to fork out the money to get him. Harrel or Tyler would be available at 28, and we would get a very solidified backfield with the addition of Samuel.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

I'm all for it. The only thing I worry about is a trade coming AFTER the draft where we won't feel the impact until next years draft.

Getting up to #6 would put us in a position to take Laron Landry or Patrick Willis, which I am completely for.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
I hope he doesn't wanna go any where. He's a great CB and if the Pats lost him it would be a great loss.
It would be nice to be able to keep him but it doesn't sound like resigning him will be an easy task. Cutting your losses and grabbing Landry and another top linebacker would be worth the loss in my opinion.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hes asking for a Clements deal. 3 year $30 mill
GTFO
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote