Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm not sure he's the most natural fit at OLB. I just don't see a guy who looks as fluid and quick as I like to see from those types of guys. He's got good size for the position, but I'm not sure the skillset matches.
I do agree that his best fit is in a 4-3 and he is not particularly fluid in space. However, I do like how his pass rush translate to a 34 OLB as far as his ability to attack the edge from a wider angle, dip low and turn the corner. Some guys pass rush style just doesn't translate as a wide alignement, stand up rusher but I think Curry's does.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I do agree that his best fit is in a 4-3 and he is not particularly fluid in space. However, I do like how his pass rush translate to a 34 OLB as far as his ability to attack the edge from a wider angle, dip low and turn the corner. Some guys pass rush style just doesn't translate as a wide alignement, stand up rusher but I think Curry's does.
Put it into words what I thought intuitively about him as a pass rusher for Los Yets. From there they can figure out the rest, because I think he'd figure it out.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
When it's all said and done, I still think he's behind Coples, Upshaw, Ingram, Irvin, Mercilus, Branch and Perry as far as pass rushers go. Mid to late second, probably. I just think the other guys will all have higher perceived upside on draft day.
I'd have to agree although I'm not sold on Irvin till I see him at the combine.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'd have to agree although I'm not sold on Irvin till I see him at the combine.
I'm a big Irvin fan. There's a little bit of Von Miller in him. He doesn't have quite that explosion or hip flexibility, but he's a playmaker off the edge who should be able to play in coverage and adapt to taking on some blocks in the NFL. I just think he's one of those players where if you put him in a 3-4 and just let him do what he does, he's a 10+ sack guy in the NFL. He does tend to stand up a little too high at times, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker.

I'm starting to warm up significantly to Mercilus too. He could be a terror in the NFL. Moves like Aldon Smith a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bump just because this prospect is awesome and getting ready to no longer be slept on. 8 days + whatever amount of days until DL work out before Curry hype gets a little more real.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's a very different game standing up than it is hand in the dirt. Vinny Curry could make that transition but it might take several seasons. Assuming he works out well I think end of the 1st round, start of the 2nd is a good place for him. Example, the Giants, cause they take a DE every darn year.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
it's a very different game standing up than it is hand in the dirt. Vinny Curry could make that transition but it might take several seasons. Assuming he works out well I think end of the 1st round, start of the 2nd is a good place for him. Example, the Giants, cause they take a DE every darn year.
It's not so different if you're good enough. Tackle the guy with the ball...Plenty of similarly productive and experienced guys have made the transition, and it's literally the least of my worries with Curry.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
It's not so different if you're good enough. Tackle the guy with the ball... .
agree there are certain things like rushing on 3rd and long that are the same

but on 1st and 2nd down it's a matter of finding the ball carrier, seeing the game.

see it from the trenches vs seeing it from the linebacker position it's a huge difference.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:

but on 1st and 2nd down it's a matter of finding the ball carrier, seeing the game.

see it from the trenches vs seeing it from the linebacker position it's a huge difference.
Yet teams consistently go to college DEs for their 3-4 OLBs.

It's not a worry for me when it comes to Curry. Other guys? Sure. Curry? Not so much. Too many positives that would work well in any system...most specifically his ability to rush the passer.

Last edited by SenorGato : 02-14-2012 at 02:51 PM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't understand why this is all of a sudden a big issue given that you can count on one hand the number of starting 34 OLB's in the entire league that weren't college DE's. Yes it requires a bit more of a transition and yes it means the player must develop of few new skills but if a guy can get after the passer coming off the edge, that's what matters most at that position above all else.

Last edited by TACKLE : 02-14-2012 at 03:49 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

et's look at every 3-4 team, and the draft picks they made for 3-4 OLB:

(not counting vet free agents, street free agents, undrafted, waiver wire pickups, trades, CFL signings, etc. only guys they drafted to play that position and still play it).

AZ
Sam Acho 4th rd
<backup> Obrien Schofield 4th rd

BAL
Terrell Suggs 1st rd
Jarrett Johnson 4th rd
<backup> Sergio Kindle 2nd rd
<backup> Paul Kruger 2nd rd

DAL
Anthony Spencer 1st rd
Demarcus Ware 1st rd
<backup> Victor Butler 4th rd

GB
Clay Matthews 1st rd (BUT PLAYED LB IN COLLEGE)

HOU
Conner Barwin 2nd rd
Mario Williams 1st rd (Probably going back to 4-3 DE)
<backup> Brooks Reed 2nd rd

KC
Justin Houston 3rd rd
Tamba Hali 1st rd

MIA
Koa Misi 2nd rd

NYJ
Bryan Thomas 1st rd

PIT
Lamaar Woodley 2nd round

SD
Shaun Phillips 4th rd
<backup> Larry English 1st rd

SF
Aldon Smith 1st rd
Parys Haralson 5th rd

What does this have to do with Curry? (or Perry, Mercilus etc.) he will likely have a higher grade from a 4-3 team than a 3-4 team. Alot of 3-4 teams use 2nd round or beyond. many use street free agents to round out that position. It seems less straight forward of a pick than others. If you pick a tailback he plays tailback. If you pick a wide out he plays wide out. Pick a college DE and make him stand up it's a higher risk situation, and the league is all about risk management. Don't get me wrong I like Vinny Curry. I'd like him more if I was drafting for a 4-3 team than if I was drafting for a 3-4 team. Maybe a round or more difference in grade. Vinny Curry in rd 2 or 3 to a 3-4 team, but he's a late 1st to a 4-3 team.