Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
No depth?

Alex Boone and Mike Person? Not many teams carry more than 4. And if Snyder returns that would be 5 players capable of playing OT.

C and G need to be targeted far before OT.
who's to say those 3 guys come back? my perception was that kilgore would be playing guard and sf goes after a inexpensive center or a rookie free agent. rachael is as good as gone. so yes a tackle would be something sf should consider in the upcoming draft along with a center and guard. i wouldnt be shocked to see them go after 2 of those positions.

unlike other teams in the league sf doesn't need much....
Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
who's to say those 3 guys come back? my perception was that kilgore would be playing guard and sf goes after a inexpensive center or a rookie free agent. rachael is as good as gone. so yes a tackle would be something sf should consider in the upcoming draft along with a center and guard. i wouldnt be shocked to see them go after 2 of those positions.

unlike other teams in the league sf doesn't need much....
I don't understand your argument.

Boone and Person are under contract for several years. That gives them 4 OTs. If Snyder returns he's a swing at ALL-FIVE OL positions. If he doesn't, a C/G needs to be drafted to in competion with Goodwin, Kilgore, and Beeler.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My new WR I'm crushing on is Rueben Randle of LSU. They have put out some good WRs the last few years, and think that Randle is the next great one. He's a big physical guy who gets good yac yards. He probably would've had better stats if Jordan Jefferson wasn't throwing him the ball...
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
My new WR I'm crushing on is Rueben Randle of LSU. They have put out some good WRs the last few years, and think that Randle is the next great one. He's a big physical guy who gets good yac yards. He probably would've had better stats if Jordan Jefferson wasn't throwing him the ball...
I like him too the numbers he put up with the worst college QB play i've ever seen is amazing.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he reminds me too much of Crabtree: zero seperation.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
he reminds me too much of Crabtree: zero seperation.
Crabs seperates, but it has alot to do with how he's used. They keep him outside too much. He nees to be in slot more, so he has more space to operate underneath, using his short-area quickness to seperate. Problem is we usually put VD in the slot, so Crabs is stuck outside where he's limited because he doesnt have the deep speed to keep DBs guessing. If you watch the Ravens, they do this sucessfully with Boldin. They usually have in the slot on third downs, and he's the chain mover. Thats ideally how you would like to see Crabs used. Its one of the things I noticed when I re-watched the NFCCG. Crabs always seemed to be on the outside on third downs. Call me crazy, but I dont think thats a wise use of his skill-set.

A kid who hasn't really been talked about but is a WR I feel has a ton of upside is Stephen Hill. He's pretty raw, as you expect coming from a offense that asks him to run basically two routes. But for his size, he seems to have outstanding short area quickness and he has that sneaky speed where it doesn't look like he's moving real fast, but he's leaving his defender every time. He could be a gem for some team who coaches him up right.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Crabtree was going to be the receiver that could be used everywhere and anywhere. And you don't have to be a burner to get separation. Josh Morgan does this well. Having Crabtree in the slot a lot of the time just speaks volumes about how he might not be a complete receiver. Sad.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's everyone's thoughts on drafting TE Coby Fleener with our second round draft pick?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
AS11toFG21
Rookie

AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.AS11toFG21 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on drafting TE Coby Fleener with our second round draft pick?
He won't be there. He's a possible, though unlikely, first round pick and likely to be taken before the Niners pick in the second.

Matt Barrows has an interesting article up discussing the possibility of drafting him in the first. Not sure I'd be thrilled with that but he could create massive problems for opponents who already have to account for Davis.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...fleener-a.html
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I thought Crabtree was going to be the receiver that could be used everywhere and anywhere. And you don't have to be a burner to get separation. Josh Morgan does this well. Having Crabtree in the slot a lot of the time just speaks volumes about how he might not be a complete receiver. Sad.
Morgan does have decent speed though.....4.47 I believe he was timed coming out of college. But Morgan has had his problems creating seperation on the outside as well, against press coverage. If you see any of our WRs getting open on the outside, its usually against a zone. But Morgan has enough speed to get a step on a decent CB. Crabs doesn't have the foot speed.....it is what it is.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-17-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:21 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stephen hill is a guy that intrigues me, but it's impossible to find any video of him playing. Plus because of the triple-option, his sample size is VERY small. I would say he is more raw than Aldon was last year

But given the success of Calvin Johnson and Demarius Thomas (somewhat) he has to be looked at

Last edited by edgrenade : 02-17-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

updated mock:

1. kendall wright / malcom floyd - wr/ all depends on who is there

2. desmond trufant/jayron hosley - cb

3. william valchos - c

4. brandon taylor - fs

5. brett roy - 3/4 de

6. chris rainy - wr/rb/pr/kr

7. tashaun gibson - cb
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
updated mock:

1. kendall wright / malcom floyd - wr/ all depends on who is there

2. desmond trufant/jayron hosley - cb

3. william valchos - c

4. brandon taylor - fs

5. brett roy - 3/4 de

6. chris rainy - wr/rb/pr/kr

7. tashaun gibson - cb
It's Michael Floyd... easy mistake.

I'm confident Harbaalke will add an OLB. I can't imagine them spending big FA money or entering the year with only three (two if Brooks walks) on the roster.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I could see us signing a under-the-radar OLB in free agency. Brooks is the best OLB on the market IMO, and he should be a priority but outside of him, I could see us signing a couple of depth guys for OTAs/TC and see if anyone stands out.

But yeah, we're defintely drafting another OLB. The question at this point is where excatly in the draft will it be.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

I feel that Brooks is more important to re-sign than Rogers. Keeping this ELITE front seven in place is crucial. Plus, he's still relatively new to the position so he is only going to get better.

But yes, I agree that they will definitely be drafting an OLB at some point.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I feel that Brooks is more important to re-sign than Rogers. Keeping this ELITE front seven in place is crucial.
Definitely. Watching that front 7 destroy offensive lines and pound QBs was so gratifying after so many years of getting owned in those departments.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Reuben Randle WR, LSU
2. Chase Minnifield CB, Virginia
3. Amini Silatolu OG, Northwestern St. D2
4. Ronnell Lewis OLB/DE, Oklahoma

not too sure about rounds 5-7.

FA:
1. Re-sign our own. Carlos Rogers, Ahmad Brooks, and Josh Morgan
2. Sign a proven solid productive WR
3. Replace the players that we lose, if any.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

WR is so deep in this draft that I get the feeling that unless the guy Baalke has targeted is there, another position might be likely.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with you guys in regards to Brooks. Re-signing him should be our second priority after Alex. Goldson is third and not much of a concern because he'll be franchised if not re-signed. Keeping Brooks is a must in my opinion and yeah, $8m or so a yeah is probably high for him but its worth it because having him re-signed and continue to start along with Aldon Smith who is expected to start in 2012 would be far better than Haralson and Smith starting. Sending Haralson to the bench actually makes our starting LB core stronger and makes our backup depth at OLB stronger too.

I definitely see us signing/drafting an OLB in the fourth round to be 4th on the depth chart and play special teams. Of course, that changes if we lose Brooks. Hopefully, that wont happen. If it was up to me, Brooks wouldnt even hit the open market. Also see us drafting an ILB if we lose Grant.

As for Grant, while I would love to see him retained and extended, I know thats probably not going to happen. If we can get a second rounder for him, that would be great because with that extra second round draft pick, I send #30 to PIT for WR Mike Wallace and then trade a 2nd and our 3rd to move into the late first round to draft TE Coby Fleener.

Imagine....Wallace, Crabtree, Davis, Fleener, Williams and Walker. Of course, if they were to draft Fleener, I would try to trade Walker because there's two reasons I draft Fleener. One is to add a Jimmy Graham size type TE to the offense, second is because it allows us to let Walker leave in 2013 or trade him this off-season to get something for him.

In 2013, we only have five players who are UFA's. 2014 will be a different story but since we have a one or two year window in which our core remains intact, the team needs to add more offensive weapons for Smith because if we can score an extra TD a game to what we averaged this year, we would be just over 30 ppg and with our defense and running game, it will be extremely tough for any team to beat us.

Back to 2013, the five players are TE Delanie Walker, NT Isaac Sopoaga, NT Ricky Jean-Francois, CB Shawntae Spencer and P Andy Lee. Spencer will be gone before or during FA so he's eliminated. Re-signing Lee is a guarantee and Francois too. Sopoaga depends on his contract demands, how he plays in 2012 and how Francois and Ian Williams do. Walker will be a priority if we dont get a Fleener or Fleener type player in the draft. If we can get Fleener and trade Walker, having only three UFA's in 2013 will be great. And yes, I know that this year's RFA's will be UFA's next year but im not counting them just yet.

And according to ninercaphell.com, the 49ers rolled over their remaining cap room from 2011 which was $16.87m which should give them over $38m in cap room once all our UFA's come off the books. Quite honestly, we have plenty of cap room to re-sign Smith, Brooks, Goldson and our backups/special teamers, draft picks and get a number one WR in FA. We could probably also add veterans DE Adam Carriker and DB Jason Allen for depth too.

Cant wait for Free Agency and the Draft!!! :)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good post Dan. Although I just don't see any team giving us a 2nd rounder for Grant. I think you way overrate him.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

Quote:
Good post Dan. Although I just don't see any team giving us a 2nd rounder for Grant. I think you way overrate him.
I could see a team like the cowboys or steelers trading to get him. Any 3-4 team could get good value, in Grant, for a 2nd round pick
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
I could see a team like the cowboys or steelers trading to get him. Any 3-4 team could get good value, in Grant, for a 2nd round pick
I dont think that im overrating Grant because he played for Willis and the front seven didnt miss a beat and I saw those games. Rarely was he ever out of position and did good overall. He's only just turned 27 a few days ago and since he has very little wear and tear on his body, he could easily play another 5 plus years.

A team like the Cowboys could easily give up a 2nd for him. Hell, my friend Joey (Cowboys) wants to sign Brooks, trade/sign Grant, sign Goldson and Rogers. He knows that Brooks would be an upgrade over Spencer and that Grant would be an upgrade over James/Brooking. Rogers would be an upgrade over Newman even though he wouldnt want to overpay him because of his age. Goldson improves his secondary. Granted, they may need time to fit their schemed but I do see a team like DAL going after Grant. And also, no way in hell would I tender Grant at his original draft pick round. That would be stupid.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think Adam Carriker would be a solid signing to come in and compete. He has talent and I'm sure Tomsula could get the most out of him.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alot of mocks have us taking Coby Fleener in the 2nd. Making a WR?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I really think Adam Carriker would be a solid signing to come in and compete. He has talent and I'm sure Tomsula could get the most out of him.
I agree but we have a solid back-up in RJF, who can play anywhere, along the line, as well as two young guys the staff obviously likes in Dobbs and Tukuafu. Just would not make sense to add a player to a area where we already have sure-fired established studs(J. Smith, Ray Mac), solid depth, and young talent.
Closed Thread