Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Put Cam Cameron in as a OC who runs a traditional scheme. and look at our offense.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do think that the NFL has evolved to the point that running a fundamentally sound scheme isn't as important as the end results. The only thing that matters is the W, and adaptability helps to accomplish that. Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers won't allow teams to give them the same looks all game. Adapt or die, especially with the rule changes.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Im suprised BBD isnt some sort of coach or something. guy definitely knows his stuff when it comes to football!
Yeah I always wondered BBD do you coach somewhere? whethere its a college or just helping out at a high school
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Your nickel defense IS your base defense. Your nickel CB is a starter. That 3rd or 4th LB is just a sub package player now.
Yeah. I could be wrong, but I believe the 49ers are one of the only 3-4 teams who's ILB's are always on the field.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM    (permalink
broncosfan
Rookie

broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.broncosfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah. I could be wrong, but I believe the 49ers are one of the only 3-4 teams who's ILB's are always on the field.
Not many teams have the 2 best lb's in the league
broncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Most 3-4 teams keep both ILBs on the field in their nickel. They just sub out the NT for a DB. Or they go big nickel and also sub out 1 ILB for a Safety. But the 49ers are unique in the sense that they don't have to run much nickel at all and stay in the 3-4 bc their 2 ILBs are so fast and cover so much range that they can keep them on the field, run a lot of Tampa (which they do), and be stout in the run and pass game with base personnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosfan View Post
All they do is take out the nose tackle and bring a defensive back, it's a nickel formation. It's an adjustment every team has made because of the passing game taking over.

And to add to the OP's post, yes, every team runs the same concepts at different times in a game or during the season. John Fox said during the season that every team in the NFL has the same running plays and they just added a few more in the option plays with Tebow.

All of the offenses have some plays in which the use zone blocking, pulling linemen or power blocking. All defenses run Cover 2, zone blitz and press as well.

The main difference, however, is how teams go after some kinds of players in the draft or free agency. The previous Colts regime loved the small, fast guys; while other teams running "the same defense" (Tampa 2)like the Vikings preferred the bigger, stronger types. Also with the Texans that run a ZBS they like their linemen athletic ad fast, while the John Fox offenses (panthers and now broncos) like their linemen big.

So, yes everybody in the NFL uses the same concepts during games and seasons. But that doesn't mean they're all the same, that's why they go after certain types of players: to execute their main system.
This is very true. And I think that's more of a coaching staff preference than a scheme thing. Which is why 2 Tampa 2 coaches can be totally different, 2 WCOs can be totally different etc. Great point.

Quote:
Im suprised BBD isnt some sort of coach or something. guy definitely knows his stuff when it comes to football!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Yeah I always wondered BBD do you coach somewhere? whethere its a college or just helping out at a high school
Nope. No coaching. I just love the Xs and Os of the game. In a different life maybe. Many people have told me that I should have went into coaching but I just never did it. Didn't have the stones I guess. I went into biotechnology and I'm a scientist now, it's too late for a career change. Especially now since I'm halfway done with my phd, I came so far I'm not going to switch up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Put Cam Cameron in as a OC who runs a traditional scheme. and look at our offense.
Yeah he's pretty terrible too. He has great running concepts, but he doesn't run it enough. And his WRs are just awful. Yet he loves throwing it, but not only throwing it, but throwing it deep with no consistent deep threats.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
eh, He is ok. Right, BBD! You get negative points for being a Knicks fan AND liking the defensive side of the ball! So fix that! : P
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
eh, He is ok. Right, BBD! You get negative points for being a Knicks fan AND liking the defensive side of the ball! So fix that! : P
hey, defense rules! i'd perfer a good defense to a good offense. not saying defense would give us a better chance of winnning but i just love the defensive sIDE of the game.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
hey, defense rules! i'd perfer a good defense to a good offense. not saying defense would give us a better chance of winnning but i just love the defensive sIDE of the game.
Boooo! See what you did BBD, I blame this and global warming on you!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, multiple defenses are seen throughout the NFL today but there are still tendencies which make each team unique. Not all teams blitz with the same consistency, many teams switch to a Cover 2 depending on who they are playing. If a team is facing a super elite QB, you are going to see a lot of Cover 2 from the defense even if it is a basic 3-4 defensive team.
Defending has gotten much more opponent orientated, by that I mean, a DC will examine the other team's offense and decide which defense might work the best against it considering the personnel he has to defend against it.
Defenses need to be very flexible in today's NFL since offenses can come at a NFL defense in so many ways. Teams that have great TE's can attack a defense using their skills, while the next team you play may rely on great WR's or a running attack. DC's must prepare for their opponent not some basic offensive system and that is why flexibility must exist in all defenses. Teams can no longer just sit back and play a 3-4 or a 4-3, they must be prepared for all possibilities but are still somewhat limited by their personnel.
Personnel is always going to put limitations on just what offense or defense a team can use and that is never going to change. Teams won't run a Cover 2 for long if they cannot get a pass rush out of their front 4 and they certainly won't play a lot of man to man coverage if their CB's cannot handle man to man coverage, etc., etc., etc. So there will always be limits to multiple defenses.