Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whitney Mercilus

Pros;

-Has the length and bulk needed to play either DE or OLB
-Very good speed
-Explodes while turning the corner
-Excellent functional strength
-Can set the edge in the run game
-Varied pass rushing moves
-Technically he is a very good player
-Good hand usage
-Can set OTs up. Counters very well with his bull rush when they are expecting a speed move
-Extremely productive this year
-Forces lots of fumbles

Cons;

-Is a one year wonder
-Has 18.5 career sacks and 16.5 were last year
-He doesn't have much experience if any dropping into coverage
-Isn't a disciplined player when it comes to gap control
-Will over pursue at times
-To nitpick he could develop a few inside moves to add to his repertoire

Overall;

Mercilus is someone I am warming to for the Pats if he is still around. He isn't going to wow anyone with straight line speed but he is very technically sound and uses a variety of moves to beat his blocker. He may be a bit stiff to play on the weakside at OLB for the Pats but he would definitely be a big upgrade of Jermaine Cunningham at OLB. He needs to be able to alleviate concerns that he only pressed the gas for one year but he has the ability to be an impact OLB.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Last edited by AntoinCD : 02-22-2012 at 01:28 PM.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Boykin

Pros;

-Tremendous athlete
-Probably has the most fluid hips in the draft
-Can play outside the hashes or cover the slot WR
-Pretty good tackler
-Offers elite specials teams value as a returner
-Elite change of direction skills
-Good ball skills
-Tracks the ball well
-Versatility
-Senior

Cons;

-Is a little shorter than preferrable-not by much much-5'9
-Isn't very phsycial at the line
-Probably only a zone corner in off coverage
-Not a great run defender
-Awareness isn't outstanding

Overall;

I like Brandon Boykin towards the end of the second round as a guy who can offer a lot as a four down player. The only thing that gets me is how much he reminds me of Darius Butler only he is better playing the ball. He could be a very good slot CB but I feel the Pats like Kyle Arrington in that role. I'm not sure I would be happy if the Pats drafted him despite his skills.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
George Iloka
FS/CB/SS, Boise State

Pros:
* Size+ (222@6035)
* Wingspan (6095 wingspan... yeah, an extra 6 inch range)
* 4.4 Speed
* Played Special teams [four down player]
* Solid Tackler [Room to improve though]
* Can drop in the box and cover TE and WRs (including big ones)
* Physical press
* Great pad level
* Excellent coverage technique
* Very fluid (surprising at his size)
* Plays the slot as well as a corner
* Good football IQ + Instinctual (played the sticks numerous times on 3rd down)
* Played corner for a few games
* Excels in both man and zone coverage systems

Cons:
* Doesn't always take good angles (but is improving)
* Below average initial burst
* Not a big hitter, but doesn't shy from contact
* Not a captain [that matters to some teams, including NE]

---

This is the kind of guy you want to keep away from teams in the AFC East. He has the ability to cover bigger and more physical receivers (like big TEs), while also having the ability to play center field.

Even though I listed him as a CB, I would be shocked to see him play CB at his size. He's definitely more of an emergency corner. Obviously a safety (which he played at Boise State)

He's going to be a high second round pick or a late first (as of the Senior Bowl). Overall, I think he's a starter for just about any AFC East team and would perfectly complement Pat Chung in the NE secondary.

He might challenge Mark Barron for first safety off the board.

BLESTO Grade: 7.0
I watched a bit of Iloka recently and the guy's a freak of nature. He has arms longer than some offensive linemen. I really like his fit in New England. He can cover TEs in man coverage and isn't lost in zone. I would like to see him react a little quicker but I definitely think that's teachable.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Derek Wolfe

6'5" 286lbs, 5.1* 40 time

2011: 65 tackles, 9.5 sacks
2010: 48 tackles, 4 sacks

Positives:

-Fantastic Motor
-Plays with great leverage
-Can read plays and disrupt running lanes
-Can line up at end and contribute as a pass rusher
-Anchors very well for someone his size
-Adept at shooting gaps
-Solid bull rush
-Nice rip move and inside counter
-Fantastic collegiate production

Negatives:

-Lack of girth is an obvious issue
-Awareness is an issue at times
-Needs to get better at tripping up ball carriers
-Doesn't always play to his height
-Wish he had a developed spin move in his repertoire
-Probably not a 3 down player in BB's system

Video:

Analysis for the Patriots:

He's a guy I like in round 3 for the Pats. He fits what they need in their defensive line rotation, and I see him as a replacement for Mike Wright. They've always had a pass rush DT in their rotation whether it was Green, Wright, or Hamiliton and it's certainly something they were lacking last year. I also see him playing RE in the 4-3 heavy look, and he's certainly a better fit there then Deaderick or Ellis.

It the Pats use him like the Bengals use Geno Atkins they'll get a lot of bang for their buck. If you can put aside the fact that he can't be Richard Seymour and do everything, you'll notice that there is a lot of things this guy does that others cannot. He's a guy that can put up 6 sacks a year which is production that a lot of teams don't get out of their DT's.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Brandon Boykin

Pros;

-Tremendous athlete
-Probably has the most fluid hips in the draft
-Can play outside the hashes or cover the slot WR
-Pretty good tackler
-Offers elite specials teams value as a returner
-Elite change of direction skills
-Good ball skills
-Tracks the ball well
-Versatility
-Senior

Cons;

-Is a little shorter than preferrable-not by much much-5'9
-Isn't very phsycial at the line
-Probably only a zone corner in off coverage
-Not a great run defender
-Awareness isn't outstanding

Overall;

I like Brandon Boykin towards the end of the second round as a guy who can offer a lot as a four down player. The only thing that gets me is how much he reminds me of Darius Butler only he is better playing the ball. He could be a very good slot CB but I feel the Pats like Kyle Arrington in that role. I'm not sure I would be happy if the Pats drafted him despite his skills.

It's that time of year again so I'm back. Been reading this thread. Lots of good stuff here guys. Just thought I'd comment on Boykin.

First off, if I had my way the Pats would draft and sign about 8 DB's this year, and it's probably a good bet that they'll pick one safety and one CB. I also like Boykin a lot. I agree though that I don't really see him as an outside CB, more of a slot guy. He is a playmaker though. Would be a nice pick if they don't have to take him too high. The good news (if you can call it that) is that they can draft almost any DB this year and be confident that whomever they take will be better than what they already have on the roster in most cases.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
It's that time of year again so I'm back. Been reading this thread. Lots of good stuff here guys. Just thought I'd comment on Boykin.

First off, if I had my way the Pats would draft and sign about 8 DB's this year, and it's probably a good bet that they'll pick one safety and one CB. I also like Boykin a lot. I agree though that I don't really see him as an outside CB, more of a slot guy. He is a playmaker though. Would be a nice pick if they don't have to take him too high. The good news (if you can call it that) is that they can draft almost any DB this year and be confident that whomever they take will be better than what they already have on the roster in most cases.
I actually don't hate our CB situation at the minute. Hopefully McCourty recovers from his down year (which IMO had a large part to do with the terrible safety play) and Dowling stays healthy. That should be the outside CBs for the next so many years. I actually think Arrington is a stud in the slot. He had help but he pretty much shut down Victor Cruz and is very physical and doesn't allow free releases. Sure adding talent is always a good thing but CB isn't as big a worry as a lot of people make it out to be. But let's be honest, Sterling Moore shouldn't be covering top WRs in big games like he did in the Superbowl, but he is not a bad 4th or 5th option at CB.

Safety? That's a different question altogether. I think we should look for two safeties relatively high. If Barron is there in the first he's a no brainer IMO. Then I would look at someone like Markelle Martin, George Iloka etc at the tend of the second/start of the third. Chung is pretty one dimensional and injury prone. Adding talent to push him should really improve the secondary.

Right now I'm starting to think the best draft may be

1 a. Barron
1 b. Konz
2 a. Vinny Curry/Cam Johnson/Andre Branch
2 b. Markelle Martin
3. Greg Childs/Chris Givens

Last edited by AntoinCD : 02-27-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Stephen Hill

Pros;

-Tall, rangy player
-Great explosion and long speed
-Gets deep in a hurry
-Can take the top of a defense and get behind the safeties
-Can make tough catches, both in coverage and over the shoulder grabs
-Fights for extra yards and isn't easily tackled
-Has arms and hands the size of some offensive linemen
-Huge catching radius
-Can high point the ball
-Makes spectacular catches
-Can run by defenders or outmuscle them
-Is a true outside WR
-Excellent run blocker
-Ridiculous yard per catch average this year of 29.3 yards
-Upside is phenomenal

Cons;

-Extremely raw and doesn't do the little things well
-The only routes he runs are 9 routes and comebacks
-Doesn't work the middle of the field
-Struggles at times with bad drops
-Very inconsistent
-Poor body control when the ball is in the air
-Solely depends on his physical gifts and maybe doesn't have a great football IQ
-Scored some long uncovered TDs inflating his stats
-Played in a gimmick offense

Overall;

Some team is going to gamble on Stephen Hill at the end of the first round. He will remind a lot of people of Deymarius Thomas (another tall, rangy WR from GT who only ran 9 routes) but is less polished but has better physical skills. No WR in the draft has the upside that Hill does. If he learns the game in a pro style offense he could be the closest thing since Randy Moss. My worry for Hill is he could be at best a guy who goes deep 9 or 10 times a game and gets thrown to maybe 3 times. He is exactly what the Patriots need in their offense and even the threat of him going deep would help. However his lack of polish puts me off in the first round. If he lastd to the top of the second I wouldn't be opposed to either trading up from the mid second, or trading down from the late first for him.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Janoris Jenkins

Pros:

-Silky smooth athlete
-Fluid when flipping his hips
-Breaks on the ball very well
-Willing tackler
-Reads screen plays early and flies to the ball
-Great route recognition
-Can play man or zone
-Isn't afraid to get up on the line and bump bigger WRs
-Has excelled against the best WR prospects in recent years
-Offers value as a return man
-Very aggressive and physical
-Good blitzer

Cons;

-Major headache off the field-kicked off UF team
-A little smaller than you would like
-Does not always locate the ball in the air
-At times too aggressive, will bite on play action and double moves
-Played against much inferior competition this year

Overall;

Purely on the field Janoris Jenkins is a tremendous prospect. He has flaws but from an on the field perspective he may be my top CB prospect. This guy isn't Asante Samuel as some make him out to be. He has way more to his game. He is physical and can play man coverage and disrupt bigger WRs at the line. His ball skills aren't close to Samuel's though. His issues off the field probably take him out of the first round though. Overall he needs the green light from former coach Urban Meyer to have a chance at coming to the Pats. If he gets that i would be excited to get him at the end of the first.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shea McClellin

2011 Stats: 50 Tkls, 7 Sacks, 2 Int's
2010 Stats: 30 Tkls, 9 Sacks, 1 Int

Combine

40 Time: 4.62 Bench: 19 Reps Vertical: 31.5″ Broad: 910 3 Cone: 7.07 Short Shuttle: 4.33

Positives:

-Relentless Motor
-Great Size and Athleticism
-Played DE, OLB, and ILB at Boise State
-Displayed Fluid hips at the Senior Bowl
-Solid Burst off the LOS
-Holds his ground in the run game
-Plays with good pad level when rushing the passer
-Solid Inside Rip Move
-Natural Blitzer and is good at disguising the route he'll take to the QB
-Makes more splash plays than what appears on the stat sheet

Negatives:

-Has some nice moves, but too often tries to just beat the tackle to the edge
-Has a hard time fighting across the face of blockers
-He's better at rushing from a 3 pt stance than a 2 pt
-Has yet to be a dominant rusher
-Still needs work in pass coverage
-Sometimes is a bit slow to react when in zone coverage at ILB

Video:

Analysis for the Patriots:

To me he profiles similar to Brooks Reed. Both guys were high impact guys in college despite not putting up impressive stats. Additionally they both tested well, and had the versatility and fluidity to play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE. He has the size and speed that BB looks for in his LB's, as well as the all around game. I think this is one of the more natural fits in the draft. He won't be a dominant JPP or A. Smith type guy, but the potential is there to be a 8-10 sack guy who has good all around game. His stock is on the rise so he'd probably either need to be picked in the first or at 48, but if we're going to transition back to the 3-4 he's one of the best guys to take.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Ryan Broyles

5'10" 188 lbs.
2011 Stats: 83 Rec, 1157 Yd's, 10 TD's
2012 Stats: 131 Rec, 1622 Yd's, 15 TD's

Positives:

-Extremely Tough
-Great Hands
-Superb Quickness
-Shows elusiveness and creativity when running routes
-Strong RAC guy
-For a really small receiver he catches balls in traffic well
-Underrated Speed
-Good PR
-Decent Blocker for someone his size

Negatives:

-Size is undeniably an issue
-Can get knocked off routes by really physical guys
-Deep speed isn't breakaway type speed
-Sometimes is insecure with the football when he's running
-Coming off an ACL and Meniscus tear late in the season and might not be ready to go right away

Video:

Analysis For Patriots

Unfortunately he is what the Patriots currently have at Wide Receiver except younger and a little faster. He's basically a cross between the good qualities of Deion Branch and Wes Welker. However, with WW and the Pats in a contract dispute with his longterm future up in the air Broyles would be great insurance. Rarely do you find a guy who would fit in so well in an offense with such a high floor available as late in the draft as he is going to be. The combination of tantalizing receiver prospects and his injury leaving him unable to work out is sliding him down the board further than he should. He would be a very nice pickup in the 3rd round and could be a guy who catches 80+ balls a year for close to a decade out of the slot.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Well I figured somebody needs to get the ball rolling with the big uglies so here it goes:

Peter Konz:

6'15" 315 lbs, 33" arms, 18 Reps

Positives:

-Elite Size for the center position
-Comes from Wisconsin which has a great Oline lineage
-Heady player, reads blitzes well and can call them out and pick them up
-Mirrors effectively when 1-on-1
-Great at pulling
-Plays with good leverage
-Attacks the second level well
-Recovers well when knocked off balance
-Can counter quicker players inside with his good feet
-Good character guy

Negatives:

-Despite being the size he is, you don't see a ton of push out of him
-Is knocked off balance more than you'd like from a RD 1 center prospect
-Hand punch is pretty weak
-Has some ankle issues in his past

Video:

Analysis for Patriots:

I was a big Konz guy before I started researching him for this scouting report. I expected him to be a bit more dominating in the run game than he was. However, that's not to say I don't think he's a first rounder, but there are certainly some guys in the past 5 or so years I had rated higher than him. He's a technician and superb athlete capable of matching up with almost anyone inside, and certainly represents an upgrade over guys like Koppen and Connolly. However, I came in hoping for a typical mauling Wisconsin guy like Carimi, Moffitt, or Thomas, and didn't quite get that vibe. Maybe it was just the video I watched. That being said I'd still be happy with him in the first.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My opinion: Centers should never be drafted in the first round and the Pats have much more important things to address at the top of the draft (like defense for example). I will really be disappointed if they take Konz in round 1.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Here is one of my few prospect crushes this draft.

Kevin Zeitler, OG Wisconsin
6'4" 314lbs.
40 time: 5.33, 32 Reps

Positives:
-Amazingly powerful run blocker
-Didn't allow a sack his last 3 seasons in college
-Apparently had some of the best interviews at the combine
-Violent hand punch
-Knows how to finish his blocks
-Plays with a good pad level
-Mirrors well in pass pro
-Once he gets his hands locked in the run game it's game over
-Double teams extremely well
-Traps very well

Negatives:
-Looks lost in space
-Not a great athlete
-Feet can be inconsistent
-Technique gets sloppy when he's attacking linebackers

Video:

Here is some with pass pro, just watch for #70

Analysis For Patriots:

I love the guy, and I think if we picked him in the first their would be huge potential for running lanes on the right side with Zeitler, Vollmer, and Gronk beasting. However, he's less athletic than most of the guys we typically go for, and running screens may be an issue. However, I think power on the right vs. athleticism on the left could be a good way to go. It's tough to think about going offense in the first, but this will be a need in a year from now, and who knows if there will be another prospect on Zeitler's level.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Here is one for probably the most commonly mocked pick for the Pats:

Andre Branch DE, Clemson

6'4 259lbs. 4.7 40, 32" Vertical Jump

2011: 77 tackles, 10.5 sacks
2010: 54 tackles, 6 sacks

Positives:
-Outstanding size and arm length
-Lightning fast burst off the line
-Has experience rushing from a 2 pt. stance
-Uses his hands well to keep himself separated from blockers
-Can disengage and is a consistent tackler
-Shows tools and fluidity for pass coverage
-Plays until the whistle
-Gets stronger as the game goes along
-Can dip and get to a low pad level despite his height

Negatives:
-Virtually no creativity with pass rush moves
-Is incredibly streaky as a player
-A running back chipping neutralizes him instantly
-Too many examples of him getting single blocked by a TE
-Gets washed out on double teams
-Instincts are questionable and bites on a lot of fakes
-Clemson's History of DL

Video:

Keep in mind those are pretty much the 2 best games of Branch's career

Analysis for Pats:

I'm really not all that crazy about Branch. In most drafts I'd have him as a late second type player, but the lack of quality DE/OLB prospects probably will push him into the first. His pass rushing skills are entirely dependent off of the speed rush, and I think he will eventually end up being a more rounded version of Aaron Maybin/Mark Anderson. I like Shea McClellin more because of his versatility, and he has a variety of moves in his pass rush repertoire. Although tools for pass rushers are important, I don't see enough of the other stuff from Branch to be confident that he'll succeed in our system.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Branch's best game was against BC.

His worst game was against South Carolina, where he looked like he didn't even belong in the draft.

edit: I thought you posted GT and VT, which is why I mentioned BC.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Kendall Reyes

6'4" 298lbs.

40 Time: 4.79 Bench: 36 Reps Vert: 34.5″ Broad: 9’5″ 3-Cone: 7.43
Arms: 33 1/4″ Hands: 9 1/2″

2011 stats: 46 tackles, 13.5 tfl, 4.5 sacks

Positives:
-Great Size/Athleticism
-Consistently pursues the ball
-Scheme Versatile
-Good jump off the ball
-Developmental tools as a pass rusher
-Can hold up against double teams
-Can move/stunt laterally

Negatives:
-Questionable instincts
-Faced very little good competition
-Not a lot of power to his game
-Needs to work on improving his hand fighting technique
-Plays too high
-Can't fight across his face
-Wasn't dominant in most of his games

Video:

*Note* This was the only one I could find to post. This game is atypical of Reyes. Also, lol at the Sunseri comment at the beginning of the video.

Analysis for Pats:

A huge resounding meh. He's consistently being mocked to the Pats, but at this point he's mostly an upside guy. I don't like the lack of physicality in his game, but I don't think that his measurables and motor can be denied forever. I think that the Pats could find better guys to match what they're looking for, who are lesser risks. I think both Heyward and Wilkerson last year were better prospects, and the Pats passed on both in the first round. If they get to round 2 and McClellin and Smith are both gone then I'd be ok with going with Reyes there.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of Sunseri...his brother at Bama, Vinny, will be a Patriot in a few years. He's a safety, ST ace, and his dad is a coach. Plus he is an absolute nut. 100% bet your house on it, he was only a freshman this year but he will be a Patriot.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for Reyes, I am warming to him a little but I am not a huge fan. He is an impressive specimen just every time I see him I feel like he is playing high and just looks like he is following the play. Doesn't look very mean either on the field. Can't deny his physical ability though.

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Dont'a Hightower

6'2" 265lbs, 32 5/8" arms
4.68 40 time, 32" vert

2011 stats: 85 tackles, 11 tfl, 4 sacks, 7 QB hurries, 1 INT

Positives:
-Huge Frame, LB in a DE's body
-Good athleticism
-Physical when taking on blockers
-Has a lot of experience playing DE
-Can set an edge
-Accomplished blitzer
-Good pass rush repertoire
-Can match up with TE's in zone coverage
-Good character player
-Powerful tackler

Negatives:
-Very little suddeness to his game
-Slow to diagnose and react
-Not an explosive or quick edge rusher
-ACL history
-Inconsistent tackler
-Production doesn't match his hype

Video:

Analysis for Pats:
This is a guy who should be getting more attention for the Pats, and is somebody who could possibly be that WTF pick that we seemingly have every year. It would not surprise me one bit for BB to see Hightower as a guy who can play WLB in the 3-4 and SLB in the 4-3. If there is one advantage Hightower almost meets the size/athleticism/skillset requirements BB looks for in his OLB's, and has the Saban connection. He's never mocked to us because he's pretty universally mocked to the Steelers, but if they pass on him he could very easily end up in NE and play quite a bit.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

I could definitely see us picking Hightower. He isn't a perfect fit for our needs, but I think he would be a nice fit. Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower would be scary but I want to see more of Fletcher. Spikes is a good blitzer too and with out lack of pure pass rushers you could see us sending Hightower and/or Spikes in passing situations with Mayo and Fletcher dropping back. Hightower can get to the QB he just wasn't asked to do it all the time, he is one of those guys who is a good blitzer and can put his hand on the ground but isn't a complete pass rusher. Can do a little bit of everything.

Feed Moncrief
Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Not really a Pats prospect, but I figured I'd do one for him since I love him, and I've seen him the most of any prospect.

Luke Kuechly
6'3" 242lbs.
4.58 40, 38" vert., 27 reps

2011 Stats: 191 tackles, 12 tfl, 3 Int's, 3 pass Breakups, 2 Hurries
2010 Stats: 183 tackles, 10.5 tfl, 1.5 sacks, 3 Int's, 2 FF's,

Positives:
-Can play any LB position in 4-3 and ILB in 3-4
-Physical Specimen/Still room for growth
-Instincts are among the best ever to come out of college
-Fluid in pass coverage
-Closes on the ball carrier extremely quickly
-Navigates the scrum well
-Rangy
-Great tackling technique
-Great at reading QB's eyes
-Productive despite vanilla scheme
-Hardly is ever fooled
-Has every character intangible
-Made plays to close out games at least 3 times in his career
-Great ST'er despite being the star on his team

Negatives:

-Goes around blocks rather than through them
-Can get driven backwards when forced to square up
-Blitzing ability is a bit of an unknown
-Lack of splash plays
-What happens when you let him loose?
-Not an overly physical tackler

Video:

Analysis for Pats:
Not really a realistic possibility, but if he were somehow to fall to us I don't see how we could pass him up. He's the best LB prospect since Willis and has only been a LBer for 3 years. He's every bit as good of a LB prospect as DeCastro is a guard prospect, or Richardson is a RB prospect. His physique and pass rushing skills can be developed, and his work ethic makes anything possible. A linebacking core of Mayo, Spikes, and Kuechly would be downright amazing.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I could definitely see us picking Hightower. He isn't a perfect fit for our needs, but I think he would be a nice fit. Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower would be scary but I want to see more of Fletcher. Spikes is a good blitzer too and with out lack of pure pass rushers you could see us sending Hightower and/or Spikes in passing situations with Mayo and Fletcher dropping back. Hightower can get to the QB he just wasn't asked to do it all the time, he is one of those guys who is a good blitzer and can put his hand on the ground but isn't a complete pass rusher. Can do a little bit of everything.
That's definitely how I feel about him too. I think it'll be difficult for BB to ever get a great pass rusher who can fit his versatility requirements. He might need to start settling on guys like Hightower, and find more sub type guys (TBC, Anderson) to fill the void on 3rd down.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
That's definitely how I feel about him too. I think it'll be difficult for BB to ever get a great pass rusher who can fit his versatility requirements. He might need to start settling on guys like Hightower, and find more sub type guys (TBC, Anderson) to fill the void on 3rd down.
Read, impossible. Lombardi discussing 3/4 OLB's with Casserly recently: "Setting the edge, rushing the passer, able to play in space and cover receivers out of the backfield" - Casserly commented, "You mean Superman?"

However, I wonder if BB might be starting to think differently. We brought in Bruce Irvin for a visit; BB was at USF to scout a player there, Claude Davis. (see Reiss' blog), a speed/cover LB. If nothing else the 2nd round should prove pretty interesting ...

Edit: Just to be clear, not that Claude Davis is a 2nd round pick.

I also have a question: When trading for a future 1st, what is the future 1st worth? E.g., if Pat's trade 27 or 31, they get a 2 this year and a 1 next year? Or is that more dependent on where that 2nd round pick is, i.e. high middle low? Getting a 1 from say Jacksonville or Cleveland would be exciting, as that would probably translate to a Top 10 pick next year

Last edited by Blackluck : 04-07-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Read, impossible. Lombardi discussing 3/4 OLB's with Casserly recently: "Setting the edge, rushing the passer, able to play in space and cover receivers out of the backfield" - Casserly commented, "You mean Superman?"

However, I wonder if BB might be starting to think differently. We brought in Bruce Irvin for a visit; BB was at USF to scout a player there, Claude Davis. (see Reiss' blog), a speed/cover LB. If nothing else the 2nd round should prove pretty interesting ...

Edit: Just to be clear, not that Claude Davis is a 2nd round pick.

I also have a question: When trading for a future 1st, what is the future 1st worth? E.g., if Pat's trade 27 or 31, they get a 2 this year and a 1 next year? Or is that more dependent on where that 2nd round pick is, i.e. high middle low? Getting a 1 from say Jacksonville or Cleveland would be exciting, as that would probably translate to a Top 10 pick next year
This is the answer.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote