Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Luke Kuechly: Why Not a Top 6 Pick?

Ok with his workout today why isn't this guy a top 6 pick? You'll come at me and say because he has no rush skills? Because he's a 4/3 MLB or a 3/4 ILB. Because he just make tackles... right?

They say the same things about Willis, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher.

Kuechly Willis Urlacher

40 - 4.58 4.51 4.56
3 cone - 6.92 7.23 ?
20 yard - 4.12 4.46 4.19
Bench - 27 22 27
Vert - 38 39 34
Broad - 123 inch 119 122

Up against two of the best MLB in the league he's stands up or bests them. Plus everyone say this guy has the eyes for the game... I don't get it. Because if the drafts that Willis and Urlacher were in had a do over both those guys would be top 5 picks.

Last edited by bigbuc : 02-27-2012 at 05:00 PM.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Positional value. It really is that simple.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where were Urlacher and Willis drafted? And its probably because teams value pass rushers and pass defenders over linebackers.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Positional value. It really is that simple.
Bingo. Kuechly is another one of those guys, not unlike DeCastro, who gets done in by the position he plays. Both of these guys are absolutely elite talents at the position they play, but unfortunately that position is just of lesser value to NFL teams then QB, LT, DE, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vidae's fairly spot on with that. There's a reason that Urlacher was drafted more as an OLB (that's where the Bears were initially going to use him until ... um ... I want to say Barry Minter, but my memory could be off, got hurt), and Willis "fell" to 11. While the value of a smart, athletic inside backer/mike backer has grown in recent years, it's still viewed as a position where you can find guys later.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is when players like Willis, Lewis or Urlacher come out all the teams that pass on them say the same thing two years later. That he was just a tackler, but that every team that passed also wishes they could go back and draft them. Why not just draft them at 5 or 6 or 7 and have a great LB for 10 plus years.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know that Kuechly will have the kind of impact that those guys have had, but when you're picking top 6 you generally have a lot of needs and picking an ILB that high when you have bigger needs isn't a great idea. LT/QB/WR/DE are viewed as being more important for a reason.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Kuechly, and we have a need opposite DJ at ILB, but even then I'd have a problem taking him 11th over NT/OT. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Kuech and what he can bring to the table.

Last edited by vidae : 02-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not impossible that some team falls in love with Kuechly and truly believes he's the next great Mike to enter the NFL at takes him top 10, but as others have said, it's the same reason RBs have fallen out of favor high in the first round.
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two reasons off the top of my head would be Aaron Curry and AJ Hawk. It's mostly a positional thing and you'd like to see a guy be able to get to the QB.

My guess is he went from being a top 20 pick to a top dozen pick after this weekend but he may slide to the Eagles/Chargers part of the draft.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is when players like Willis, Lewis or Urlacher come out all the teams that pass on them say the same thing two years later. That he was just a tackler, but that every team that passed also wishes they could go back and draft them. Why not just draft them at 5 or 6 or 7 and have a great LB for 10 plus years.
Well Ray Lewis wasn't drafted until Pick 26, so I don't think it's fair to lump him in with Urlacher or Willis, both of whom went Top 11. Willis ran a 4.37, which is absolutely astronomical all things considered. I think if he had of ran a 4.6, you would have seen him fall into the 15-20 range Kuechly is predicted for.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because he needs to fall to 32 and play for the giants!

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The same reason David DeCastro isn't a top 6 pick: non-pass rushing LBs and interior linemen just aren't worth as much as other positions, since they don't improve your team as much as other positions.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
Because he needs to fall to 32 and play for the giants!
I hope you guys get him! I'd love to see him on the Giants working behind that DL.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Chargerfn909
Rookie

Chargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairChargerfn909 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
The same reason David DeCastro isn't a top 6 pick: non-pass rushing LBs and interior linemen just aren't worth as much as other positions, since they don't improve your team as much as other positions.
Hard to really say that. If you are looking at a potential GREAT at ILB/MLB/OG/C, I believe they should be tossed into the category of game changers. In fact, i'd venture to say both Kuechly and DeCastro would be safer than other that will be drafted top 5-10. Instincts are instincts and i'd say both those men are both two of the most instinctive pure football players in the draft.
Chargerfn909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Well Ray Lewis wasn't drafted until Pick 26, so I don't think it's fair to lump him in with Urlacher or Willis, both of whom went Top 11. Willis ran a 4.37, which is absolutely astronomical all things considered. I think if he had of ran a 4.6, you would have seen him fall into the 15-20 range Kuechly is predicted for.
Dude did you just make up that number out of thin air? Willis ran in the 4.5's... I wouldn't take his pro day time.

Last edited by bigbuc : 02-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Dude did you just make up that number out of thin air? Willis ran in the 4.5's no 4.3 for him
"Linebacker Patrick Willis wowed scouts with a 4.37 40-yard dash during Mississippi's Pro Day. Willis, already a first round lock, could see his stock rise even further after this performance. He'll be given serious consideration by some teams in the top ten spots on draft day."

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...yard-dash.html

Literally the first page after I typed "Patrick Willis 40 time" into Google.
Quote:
Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfn909 View Post
Hard to really say that. If you are looking at a potential GREAT at ILB/MLB/OG/C, I believe they should be tossed into the category of game changers. In fact, i'd venture to say both Kuechly and DeCastro would be safer than other that will be drafted top 5-10. Instincts are instincts and i'd say both those men are both two of the most instinctive pure football players in the draft.
It seems to be less of an issue now because of the rookie wage scale, but most people just don't agree with that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that people don't see it that way.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
"Linebacker Patrick Willis wowed scouts with a 4.37 40-yard dash during Mississippi's Pro Day. Willis, already a first round lock, could see his stock rise even further after this performance. He'll be given serious consideration by some teams in the top ten spots on draft day."

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...yard-dash.html

Literally the first page after I typed "Patrick Willis 40 time" into Google.
You just got owned bigbuc ;)

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you don't draft middle linebackers that high, especially in today's NFL. The only linebackers who go top 10 are ones who can rush the passer now. No more AJ Hawk, Aaron Curry types are gonna go that high. Plus it's not like Kuechly doesn't have some questions, he isn't the perfect player. He's not a guy you can put in man coverage with some of these tight ends and running backs. You can put him in zone coverage and he'll excel, but he's not a Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher type.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the last dozen drafts, only three non-pass rushing linebackers have been taken in the top 6: Aaron Curry, A.J. Hawk, LaVar Arrington. None of them were particularly great picks.

Kuechly is not a once-in-a-decade kind of prospect; even Urlacher lasted to pick #9, Patrick Willis lasted to pick #11, and Ray Lewis lasted to pick #26.

It's not like the old salary system (or lack thereof) made people less likely to take non-pass-rushing LBs high, since those guys are generally perceived to be "safe" picks and the problem with the old salary scale was the financial risk involved in taking a player high who has a good chance to be a bust.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 02-27-2012 at 05:44 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a MLB/ILB. If Patrick Willis couldn't crack top ten then there's no chance in hell...Solid player though.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Two reasons off the top of my head would be Aaron Curry and AJ Hawk. It's mostly a positional thing and you'd like to see a guy be able to get to the QB.

My guess is he went from being a top 20 pick to a top dozen pick after this weekend but he may slide to the Eagles/Chargers part of the draft.
Those were both 4-3 OLBs, though, weren't they? That's probably the "least important" position on a defense, but a MLB is often the defensive signal-caller and ever team would definitely want to have a real playmaker in the middle of the field. I mean, Patrick Willis is a freak and everyone knew it before he was drafted, and if that draft was done over people would be calling him a good pick if he'd been picked 2nd or 3rd overall. People want to say that when you're picking top-10 you must have needs at these "more important" positions, but I think the reality is that those teams are most likely lacking in talent across the board. So in my humble opinion, if you see an elite player on the board and know he'll play on your team, you just take him. If you think Kuechly is an "elite" talent and you don't already have a stud MLB... I wouldn't want to get caught playing the "Well... we really need a wideout..." game. If you think he's Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher, you freaking take him, unless you think the wideout you're looking at is a Randy Moss or Larry Fitzgerald. Or whatever position. Ya'll know what I'm saying. Go for the talent. You're never going to turn around your team with one pick, excepting perhaps a truly transcendent talent like John Elway. Or maybe even Cam Newton last year. Who knows yet.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
you don't draft middle linebackers that high, especially in today's NFL. The only linebackers who go top 10 are ones who can rush the passer now. No more AJ Hawk, Aaron Curry types are gonna go that high. Plus it's not like Kuechly doesn't have some questions, he isn't the perfect player. He's not a guy you can put in man coverage with some of these tight ends and running backs. You can put him in zone coverage and he'll excel, but he's not a Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher type.
I'll take my chances with him covering every TE in the league not named Gronkowski and Graham. I guess that 4.5 today didnt convince everyone.

Overrall i agree you dont take ILBs that high.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
You just got owned bigbuc ;)
When it happens it happens... Can't knock the hustle.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
you don't draft middle linebackers that high, but he's not a Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher type.

How can you say that when he tested as good or better than both of them? Also everyone said the same thing about Kuechly that he's great with his eyes, knows what the play is before the team runs it...