Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default **Official Boxing Thread**

Well, this is a very big weekend for boxing as there are two opposing PPV cards. One, Tarver-Hopkins, features two old fighters (Hopkins will retire after the fight), but is historically significant. The other, Cotto-Malignaggi, features one very young budding superstar(Cotto) taking on a very talented prospect in Malignaggi.

I would have to lean towards Tarver in the 1st fight, but it is close, really close. B-Hop could easily pull out the victory, because he will be laying it all on the line (I hope). Tarver is going to be way bigger though as he is naturally about 15 lbs. heavier, I think that gives him a big edge. While the fight is significant historically, style-wise it makes for a very boring fight and would be a strech to order for 50 bucks seeing as HBO will be replaying the fight next weekend.

I will be attending the Cotto fight and I am pretty amped about it. It is a fight that Cotto should win, but Malignaggi can frustrate people with his speed and slick boxing, Plus his trash talking can get under peoples skin. However, Malignaggi, by all accounts, cant punch for power. This will present a huge problem for him as Cotto should be able to walk him down and impose his will as the harder puncher and larger man. I think Cotto KO's him around round 8 or so.

If you want to buy a PPV this weekend I suggest you go with the cotto show. It is 15 bucks cheaper at $35 and features a 5 fight undercard, and the other fight will be replayed on HBO. It feature great prospects like John Duddy, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Julio Ceasar Chavez. Also, it has Tommy Zbikowski(sp?) fighting his debut. He is not a great prospect, but is getting attention, so it will be cool to see him.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to go to a bar to watch Zbikowski fight. Apparently about 20 of his teammates from Notre Dame are walking him to the ring in their jerseys.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
I have to go to a bar to watch Zbikowski fight. Apparently about 20 of his teammates from Notre Dame are walking him to the ring in their jerseys.
It should be cool. He is going to be in with a stiff though, no way in hell they let him lose. If you go to watch that make sure you stay for the other fights though, it is a pretty solid card, some future stars on there.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schubert
Quote:
It should be cool. He is going to be in with a stiff though, no way in hell they let him lose. If you go to watch that make sure you stay for the other fights though, it is a pretty solid card, some future stars on there.
I will be staying. Since both fights are on two different PPV stations, I have to go to this one bar to watch both. I've only seen Malignaggi fight once on ESPN but was pretty impressed, and he is the hometown kid fighting in MSG. Should be good.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:21 AM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i cant wait to see the Tarver-Hopkins fight.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Is Zbikowskis fight going to be on tv?

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:29 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Nevermind undercard of Cotto I got it

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 06-08-2006, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I will be staying. Since both fights are on two different PPV stations, I have to go to this one bar to watch both. I've only seen Malignaggi fight once on ESPN but was pretty impressed, and he is the hometown kid fighting in MSG. Should be good.
Malignaggi is areally good boxer, but he seems to lack the power to back Cotto off. Cotto's game is to walk you down and throw bombs at a methodical pace. I cant see Paulie backing him up. And, suprisingly the garden will be behind Cotto. Paulie is a NY guy, but all of the Puerto Ricans will be out for the fight and will outnumber the Malignaggi fans.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2
i cant wait to see the Tarver-Hopkins fight.
Do you think it will be a good fight? I think it sets up to be a really boring match style wise. I will watch it on HBO next weekend b/c it will be free, but I will be at MSG sat. I think the only way you buy this fight is if you really value historical significance and want to see B-Hop's last fight live.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Malignaggi is areally good boxer, but he seems to lack the power to back Cotto off. Cotto's game is to walk you down and throw bombs at a methodical pace. I cant see Paulie backing him up. And, suprisingly the garden will be behind Cotto. Paulie is a NY guy, but all of the Puerto Ricans will be out for the fight and will outnumber the Malignaggi fans.
That is true. Puerto Ricans get real into it. When I was living in the Bronx for a year, there was almost a huge riot after a Trinidad fight. For some reason I can't think of who he fought that night. It was either in late 2001 or early 2002.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That is true. Puerto Ricans get real into it. When I was living in the Bronx for a year, there was almost a huge riot after a Trinidad fight. For some reason I can't think of who he fought that night. It was either in late 2001 or early 2002.
Hopkins maybe. It was right after 9/11.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hopkins maybe. It was right after 9/11.
I had been out in the Bronx in some pretty shady areas, but that night I felt the most unsafe I did in the entire time I was living there.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:05 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is this fight at the temple in memphis??

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I think Tarver/Hopkins is in Atlantic City, because my friend wanted to get a room to gamble and not see the fight and the prices was ridiculous.

Cotto/Maliginaggi is in Madison Square Garden.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

yeah, the Hopkins-Tarver fight is in AC at Boardwalk hall.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Where is primetime, he usually owns these boxing threads?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Oh I'm here baby.

Thought I should start this sucker off by saying Rob, I'm sad to inform you that I called the cable company today and the Cotto fight is a whopping 39.99 PLUS local charges to order. If he was fighting a puncher or someone with a bigger name my dad and I would probably order it, but 45-50 dollars simply isn't worth it. Cotto will probably knock him out in the later rounds (as you predicted) or win by a decision.
This guy he's fighting might be slick but Cotto is young and tough so slick boxing won't deter his mighty march foward if this guy can't hurt him.

As for the Tarver vs Hopkins fight, I am excited to follow it online with espn.com round by round, but it is simply not worth 50 dollars to see a Hopkins fight. His fights with Taylor were 2 of his more exciting fights over the past decade.. they were good fights but not great.

As I stated earlier, I believe Hopkins will outsmart Tarver who will be too anxious to make a statement and knock Hopkins out. Hopkins will circle, grab, and punch when the ref. isn't looking and make this fight very sloppy in route to a decision victory.

Don't forget, Hopkins started his career at Light Heavy... and was 0-1.

Did any of you see that KO by Demetrius Hopkins last night? Wow. I was watching it live and almost turned it off because Demetrius is SUCH a boring fighter but I tell you what, I'm glad I kept it on. He knocked that dude the **** OUT! I was legitamitely afraid when I saw that guy drop. Thankfully, he was only unconcious for like 5 seconds and than doctors rushed in to help him.
It will probably win KO of the year and it was SportCenter's top play.

Demetrius has really grown into a solid puncher and is no longer a straight up pitter patter boxer anymore. He's KO'd 5 of his last 6, and he should be 6 for 6 but the fight he had before lastnight he couldn't put the guy away.

Demetrius has all the makings of a champion but he is
1. Boring
2. Lacks a killer instinct
3. Unsure of himself

I truely believe after consitently following his career on ESPN2 that he is a solid puncher and has great speed and talent at 140... he just doesn't have that "it".
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21335
Quote:
Oh I'm here baby.

Thought I should start this sucker off by saying Rob, I'm sad to inform you that I called the cable company today and the Cotto fight is a whopping 39.99 PLUS local charges to order. If he was fighting a puncher or someone with a bigger name my dad and I would probably order it, but 45-50 dollars simply isn't worth it. Cotto will probably knock him out in the later rounds (as you predicted) or win by a decision.
This guy he's fighting might be slick but Cotto is young and tough so slick boxing won't deter his mighty march foward if this guy can't hurt him.

As for the Tarver vs Hopkins fight, I am excited to follow it online with espn.com round by round, but it is simply not worth 50 dollars to see a Hopkins fight. His fights with Taylor were 2 of his more exciting fights over the past decade.. they were good fights but not great.

As I stated earlier, I believe Hopkins will outsmart Tarver who will be too anxious to make a statement and knock Hopkins out. Hopkins will circle, grab, and punch when the ref. isn't looking and make this fight very sloppy in route to a decision victory.

Don't forget, Hopkins started his career at Light Heavy... and was 0-1.

Did any of you see that KO by Demetrius Hopkins last night? Wow. I was watching it live and almost turned it off because Demetrius is SUCH a boring fighter but I tell you what, I'm glad I kept it on. He knocked that dude the *********** OUT! I was legitamitely afraid when I saw that guy drop. Thankfully, he was only unconcious for like 5 seconds and than doctors rushed in to help him.
It will probably win KO of the year and it was SportCenter's top play.

Demetrius has really grown into a solid puncher and is no longer a straight up pitter patter boxer anymore. He's KO'd 5 of his last 6, and he should be 6 for 6 but the fight he had before lastnight he couldn't put the guy away.

Demetrius has all the makings of a champion but he is
1. Boring
2. Lacks a killer instinct
3. Unsure of himself

I truely believe after consitently following his career on ESPN2 that he is a solid puncher and has great speed and talent at 140... he just doesn't have that "it".
Good to see ya in the thread. Yeah, I saw D-Hop's KO. He is a pretty good prospect and that was a damn good KO. I've seen a few of his fights and I am not really a huge fan. I dont have much patience for very boring fighters unless they are displaying outstanding boxing skill against great competition (like Winky vs Trinidad). D-Hop will probably win a belt eventually (although he is not close to Bernard) and will ahve a very solid pro career.

Anyway I am extremely nervous right now for the cotto fight. I have great confidence in him, but Malignaggi looks to be in great shape and Cotto is having a lot of trouble making weight. He will make it, I think, but he looked drained at the press conference. I am a little worried that he might tire if the fight goes to the later rounds. And, if you wanna see the cotto fight (which has a great UC), just get 4 friends together, then it is 10 bucks each. Thats what I do when I m low on cash. Anyway, I am real excited for tomorrow, I just hope Cotto makes weight on his 1st try so he has a ton of time to replenish the nutrients he has lost this week.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:56 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Hopkins is almost a 3-1 underdog. Anyone think he has a legit chance in this fight?

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 06-09-2006, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

He has a legit shot, no doubt. He is a good boxer and always fights a smart fight. He also knows how to use dirty tactics better than anyone. Being his last fight, he will probably be looking to pull out all the stops. To say he has no shot would be ignorant. The 3-1 odds come mostly out of the big size differential, and I do agree that it will be significant. It is the main reason I have Tarver winning, but B-hop has a good shot imo.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Steelcurtain1970
Rookie

Steelcurtain1970 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They both better be good for 50 bucks on Pay-per view cus im watchin them

Made by stephenson86
Steelcurtain1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not big if Winky Wright isn't boxing

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Winky will be on next week against Jermain taylor, no worries Hawkeye. Also, steelcurtain, the fight probably wont be all that exciting, just warning you. If you dont like tactical fight, save your cash and catch the replay next saturday.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:07 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Winky will be on next week against Jermain taylor, no worries Hawkeye. Also, steelcurtain, the fight probably wont be all that exciting, just warning you. If you dont like tactical fight, save your cash and catch the replay next saturday.
Alright! Thanks man!

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:15 PM    (permalink
familyguy555
Pro Bowler

familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcurtain1970
They both better be good for 50 bucks on Pay-per view cus im watchin them
thats such a rip-off

sig made by BoneKrusher
familyguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote