Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sean Spence is really growing on me. He reminds me of young Jonathan Vilma. Great instincts, great speed, great form, great leadership, his only issue is size, but I think he can overcome it. He'd be a great 2nd round pick for us.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't he play OLB?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both. Like Beason. He's going to be good. Worst case scenario you move him to will and boley to Sam.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Williams a lot. I think he's going to be very very good so I don't want to see him on the bench. Spence seems a little like London Fletcher to me which would be awesome. If he can play in the middle I'm all for it.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Im confident he can play inside. I like Williams too, but what I love about Spence is he can be our Mike all 3 downs, so we have 2 fast LBs without having to substitute in our nickel.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm all for it then. I'll try to watch some video of him as well ASAP.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I just hope he's there in the 2nd round. He might go mid 2nd.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder what WR we may get. I guess that is one position I am excited to see. This WR class in terms of depth reminds me of the Jackson, Kelly, Thomas, and mario M draft class. Seems like there are some first rounders, and then 2nd and 3rd round depth too.

It's an interesting thing, but I hope we can get a great guy who slips because of a reason, say perhaps on a run for a specific position.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Im down for a wr in the 1st. Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill. Both would be good choices. Or Glenn from Georgia to play RT.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Sanu and Spence and call it a draft. :)

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I love Sanu but he's not the right fit for us. We already have a Sanu in Barden. I want a guy who can stretch the field.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I love Sanu but he's not the right fit for us. We already have a Sanu in Barden. I want a guy who can stretch the field.
Listen I'm almost the only one here still beating the Barden drum but I don't see him as that similar to Sanu. Barden is more of a WC as to what he can do because even I'm not really sure even though I think he'll be a good 3rd/4th still. Sanu can open up the whole middle of the field which is what we need now that we have don't have a TE.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im down for a wr in the 1st. Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill. Both would be good choices. Or Glenn from Georgia to play RT.
If we draft Glenn I want him to play OG, and be a mauler not a RT. Do you expect Wright to drop to us?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I think Wright might very well be there when we pick. Also, I might pull the trigger on him over Sanu if both were available but I have no idea right now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Listen I'm almost the only one here still beating the Barden drum but I don't see him as that similar to Sanu. Barden is more of a WC as to what he can do because even I'm not really sure even though I think he'll be a good 3rd/4th still. Sanu can open up the whole middle of the field which is what we need now that we have don't have a TE.
The problem is, you don't want to clutter the middle of the field. You want guys on the outside to stretch the defense out and provide Cruz with as much space as possible in the middle. Sanu would crowd the middle.

Our 3 needs to be a guy who can go deep, get some back shoulder throws, and give us a redzone threat for fades so teams can't slide towards Nicks in the end zone.

That's why Hill and Wright are on my radar. I know Wright ran slow, but he's a guy who's faster in pads than in shorts. I think he'll run better at his pro day as well. He's a legit deep threat. And he has good size as well.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 03-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
If we draft Glenn I want him to play OG, and be a mauler not a RT. Do you expect Wright to drop to us?
I'm fine with him in either spot. I think he's capable of playing RT, which is why I would put him there. He played LT in college, he can play RT in the pros. He has the athleticism and size for it. And with our running concepts, he can still maul in the run game as a RT. It won't be a problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
The problem is, you don't want to clutter the middle of the field. You want guys on the outside to stretch the defense out and provide Cruz with as much space as possible in the middle. Sanu would run crowd the middle.

Our 3 needs to be a guy who can go deep, get some back shoulder throws, and give us a redzone threat for fades so teams can't slide towards Nicks in the end zone.

That's why Hill and Wright are on my radar. I know Wright ran slow, but he's a guy who's faster in pads than in shorts. I think he'll run better at his pro day as well. He's a legit deep threat. And he has good size as well.
I'm about to go out so I'll make this short but most of Cruz's big plays were on the hashmarks or outside of them. He wasn't in the middle all that much. I have no problems with Wright and would love that pick even though I would be upset if Sanu were still there. It would be similar to when we took Nicks but Britt was available. I loved the pick but I wanted Britt for selfish reasons.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I'm about to go out so I'll make this short but most of Cruz's big plays were on the hashmarks or outside of them. He wasn't in the middle all that much. I have no problems with Wright and would love that pick even though I would be upset if Sanu were still there. It would be similar to when we took Nicks but Britt was available. I loved the pick but I wanted Britt for selfish reasons.
His big plays came on the outside, but a lot of those routes originated when he was on the inside. The good ol inside outside pick play that a lot of teams use to beat man coverages, where the outside WR motions close to the slot, runs a skinny post inside and the slot runs an outside release fade route.

To see his impact in the slot, just go back and watch how teams defended him in the playoffs and towards the end of our regular season. He really impacted the defense in special ways because he was so deadly in the slot. You had to double him bc he could beat you deep, and having to defend a slot guy like that really opened up the offense for everyone else.

Rob Ryan actually put 2 guys at the LOS to defend him inside/outside. That left their outside CB in zero coverage with Mario all game long.

The 49ers ran a ton of Cover 2 with their best CB on him in the slot. That opened up the Mario again but he just didn't take advantage of it, and Nicks couldn't either bc he got hurt during that game and couldn't get a clean release off the press with his injured shoulder.

The Pats damn near tripled him with their zone looks and Cover 2 looks all game long in the SB.

All because of how dangerous he was in the slot. You put Cruz on the outside, you actually make it much easier for the defense to defend him. All they have to do is press our outside WRs and play 2 deep to take him and Nicks out of the game. That's why Cruz is so much better in the slot. The dynamic of what you can do on defense changes when he's in the slot.

Which is also why I'm clamoring for a deep threat as our 3. Bc with Cruz in the slot getting the coverages he gets, and with Nicks requiring a safety up top as well, that generally leaves your 3 in zero coverage for most of the game. Mario was in iso coverage all game long, but bc he's an idiot who can't run the right routes half the time, Eli didn't trust him enough to take advantage of that.

Can you imagine how dangerous our offense would be with a legit deep threat to destroy that zero coverage? That's why the thought of Stephen Hill developing in our offense makes me drool. That's why I have a hard on for Randy Moss. That's why I would love Kendall Wright. That kind of WR is the perfect fit for what we want on the field with Nicks and Cruz.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Bostonblows91
Rookie

Bostonblows91 is a cocksman.Bostonblows91 is a cocksman.Bostonblows91 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Sean Spence is really growing on me. He reminds me of young Jonathan Vilma. Great instincts, great speed, great form, great leadership, his only issue is size, but I think he can overcome it. He'd be a great 2nd round pick for us.
Let's avoid vilma comparisons today rofl.
Bostonblows91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

GF1080,

I saw some youtube highlights of Vinny Curry. He seems like a raw explosive edge rusher. He's all speed, has no inside move, and is a liability vs the run. But he seems like he can be coached into something. Reminds me of Osi coming out.

The problem is, I went and checked out his combine, and he supposedly ran a 4.98?! That's way too slow. Granted, he played at around 245lbs and showed up at the combine at 265, but still that's a slow time.

So I don't know what to make of him. I'm concerned about the level of competition he played as well. He's a boom or bust guy to me, and that 40 time really concerns me. I want to see how he does at his pro day, and I need to get a hold of some Marshall games to really see how he plays for 4 whole quarters.

He seems high motor, which is a good sign. But I need to see more right now.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm also intrigued with Cordy Glenn as a RT prospect. The guy might be there at 32, and with his freakish athleticism, at the very least he can kick inside to G and be a force. I'm hoping he can translate his game to RT and replace McKenzie. But if not, he can still kick inside at G, and when Snee is on the way out, we can replace Snee with Petrus or Glenn depending on how things shape up.

Snee only has a couple of years left. He's already falling off, hes not dominant anymore.
I really want the giants to draft Glenn or Osemele. A lot of people think both are Guards at the NFL level but IMO have the length, balance and feet to do a great job at RT. Unfortunately Glenn's not likely to last to our first round pick and Osemele probably won't last to our second pick. :-(

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see us taking a WR early unless there is an amazing talent available when we pick. I think it is more likely to happen in the mid-late rounds.

I do think Manningham leaves, but I think we could bring Steve Smith back if he checks out medically. It will be over 12 months since his micro fracture surgery he should be right. We could give him a 2 year 'prove it' contract like we did with Kiwanuka.

That gives us a WR group of Nicks, Cruz, Smith, Barden, Jernigan and Hixon

Add a cheap guy through the draft, free agency and we have excellent depth. I wouldn't mind seeing Devin Thomas resigned.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deleted, duplicate post

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
GF1080,

I saw some youtube highlights of Vinny Curry. He seems like a raw explosive edge rusher. He's all speed, has no inside move, and is a liability vs the run. But he seems like he can be coached into something. Reminds me of Osi coming out.

The problem is, I went and checked out his combine, and he supposedly ran a 4.98?! That's way too slow. Granted, he played at around 245lbs and showed up at the combine at 265, but still that's a slow time.

So I don't know what to make of him. I'm concerned about the level of competition he played as well. He's a boom or bust guy to me, and that 40 time really concerns me. I want to see how he does at his pro day, and I need to get a hold of some Marshall games to really see how he plays for 4 whole quarters.

He seems high motor, which is a good sign. But I need to see more right now.
I understand the apprehension about the 4.98 but one thing that is being overlooked was his highly impressive 6.90 3-cone time which was the third best of any D-Lineman at the combine. It shows up in his game with his ability to dip low and turn the corner. He's not a elite athlete but his ability to bend and "run the arc" still make him a potential threat off the edge.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I understand the apprehension about the 4.98 but one thing that is being overlooked was his highly impressive 6.90 3-cone time which was the third best of any D-Lineman at the combine. It shows up in his game with his ability to dip low and turn the corner. He's not a elite athlete but his ability to bend and "run the arc" still make him a potential threat off the edge.
He looks a lot faster on the field than his 40 time indicates. I'm not sure how I feel about him yet. He seems like a guy who is great at burning the edge, but he has a lot to work on as well, bc he's soft vs the run, and has no inside moves.

He's a guy you develop. He reminds me of Osi. But I'm interested in seeing how his pro day turns out.