Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I'm avoiding a DL in round one this year for a 3-4 defense. I just don't feel there's anyone worth a 1st round pick. Maybe Cox, MAYBE!
Why is everyone loving Cox now? Because of his combine???
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Didn't you read me say MABYE?
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We still do have plenty of room after restructuring some deals and cutting Newman:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...y-spencers-tag
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I liked him a lot prior. I just think some of his numbers (explosion) moved him up in some folks mind. I would have been very happy with him at 14 prior to the combine.

It's been said many times, it's pretty rare to find impact DL after the first round. If we have a chance to get an impact DL, we need to jump.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know about "plenty of room" now that we tagged Spencer, we just cut our spendings in half with 1 slightly above avg player.
2012 cap numbers haven't been set. Dallas has a TON of money they can move around via restructuring. And the cherry on top? Stephen Jones. That man managed to reign in years of bad "Jerry" contracts and wipe them off the table in one swoop w/o major repercussions. I'm not doubting his ability to balance the books. Ever.

As far as the Cox comment I've been higher on him than Brockers through the entire process. I disliked Brockers even before his atrocious combine. I wouldn't draft him in the 1st round let alone at 14 :P

My reasoning behind Poe over Brockers was that I trust Rob and the staff to mold his incredible physical talents into a disruptive force more so then believing Brockers will develop into a top 5-tech. I do 100% agree that Poe could be a major bust and that's why we cannot draft him at 14. We HAVE to nail this draft especially the first couple picks.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
2012 cap numbers haven't been set. Dallas has a TON of money they can move around via restructuring. And the cherry on top? Stephen Jones. That man managed to reign in years of bad "Jerry" contracts and wipe them off the table in one swoop w/o major repercussions. I'm not doubting his ability to balance the books. Ever.

As far as the Cox comment I've been higher on him than Brockers through the entire process. I disliked Brockers even before his atrocious combine. I wouldn't draft him in the 1st round let alone at 14 :P

My reasoning behind Poe over Brockers was that I trust Rob and the staff to mold his incredible physical talents into a disruptive force more so then believing Brockers will develop into a top 5-tech. I do 100% agree that Poe could be a major bust and that's why we cannot draft him at 14. We HAVE to nail this draft especially the first couple picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I liked him a lot prior. I just think some of his numbers (explosion) moved him up in some folks mind. I would have been very happy with him at 14 prior to the combine.

It's been said many times, it's pretty rare to find impact DL after the first round. If we have a chance to get an impact DL, we need to jump.
None of you guys made a peep about Fletcher Cox before the combine.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012...in-bench-press

You guys need to come off the cliff on Brockers too. Apparently he didn't even do the bench press drill. LOL.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brockers isn't going to get a lot of love on this board. Because we don't tend to project underclassmen the same way we project seniors. Think about how this board works...people watch college football and come here to talk about prospects. Then senior bowl...then combine. Anyone who has a NFL network subscription now has the essentials at their disposal to grade and rate draft prospects.

My point is that some of the people on this board might do all 3 and do all 3 well but they aren't the guys signing the check. A guy like Brockers isn't going to get much love here from the average draft follower because noone got to see anything this offseason.

But put on the tape and I'm not talking about 1 game...I'm talking about watch Brockers work against different type of lineman. This is where the ball of clay term comes from. While he doens't have top 10 tape or measurables at this time. He's 20 years old and has traits that show he might be the next richard seymour. It's not that NFL teams think he will be...but his build and potential and some things that he flashes on tape as a 20 year old prospect are what leads scouts to say this guy is a top 10 pick. It's not because of anything specific but thats why the draft isn't an exact formula.

Brockers is a top 12 talent and if he falls any further he'll be considered a steal by the scouts. I've seen a couple articles now that talk about Poe's combine and how teams like the cowboys are just fine with Poe moving up because it's dropping elite DT's outside the top 10. Poe, Coples, Cox, Brockers are all guys who could play 5tech for us. The chances we have a shot at one of those guys at 14 would be a blessing.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because up until the combine he was just a 6'4 300lb DT from mississippi state. I would wager to bet that not many posters took in a mississippi state game last year...let alone watched that game and paid any attention to a player on that team.

But when you put his size and numbers up against other DT's that we were probably talking about 2 months ago say...ex) Devon Still or Jerel Worthy or Alameda Ta’amu....all guys that play for big schools that I'm sure our posters have atleast seen on TV. Thus we talk about them.

But it'd be stupid not to want Cox after you put the numbers next to his name and stack him up against the guys we've been talking about for 9 months. Now this is where if any of us were real scouts we'd have to go back and look at the tape just to see how dominate he was and if the numbers match the tape.

I'm not a scout and although I might pretend to be I usually stick to what the experts are saying and try to make my best judgement from there. Everything that I'm reading is saying that he is a hard worker and proved to be a tough matchup for other teams...often scheme'ing the play away from him.

So I think you are see'ing a lot of people warm up to Cox simply because they now have the information needed to project him to us. Before the combine he was just another big body from mississippi state. Now he's a guy who's drawn more research and thus as we've seen in the scouts rankings cox has been on a steady incline since the combine.

I think where you see some of the other outdated scouting services still have him rated in that 25-35 range...they obviously haven't went back and put the tape on him vs. a devon still to see why one is rated higher than the other.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some thoughts on how the interviews went at the combine. Pulled out my favorites will link on the bottom. Pretty much none of these surprised me.

Quote:
Vontaze Burflict, Arizona State LB: Multiple front office men were not impressed. One said he was rough around the edges. Another said he was not convincing explaining his lack of on-field discipline.

Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State DT: He helped himself in the drills, but he also helped himself in the interview room. Cox projected himself as a player who teams would feel comfortable making a big investment in.

David DeCastro, Stanford G: He rates high on the intangible chart based on his interview. DeCastro showed football was important to him, and he has a no-nonsense approach. One personnel man said he liked the fact that DeCastro came across as somewhat ornery.

Cliff Harris, Oregon CB: He had a chance to present a mea culpa for being kicked off the team and having run-ins with the law. Instead he told NFL teams it wasn’t his fault.

Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama CB: Representatives from three NFL teams indicated Kirkpatrick did not interview well. One said he did not explain his story well about being arrested on marijuana charges. Another said he came across as difficult to trust.

Luke Kuechly, Boston College LB: His interviews confirmed he is the complete package, impressing numerous teams. One praised him for his leadership. Another said he was smart, well spoken and had an all-American type personality.

Harrison Smith, Notre Dame S: He impressed by knowing the Notre Dame scheme, coverages like the back of his hand. What’s more, he came across as bright and confident.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-the-test.html
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brockers stock fell after the combine. I wouldn't be mad at taking him at 14, but I would much rather get him later in Round 1.

Brockers and Poe are not similar players. One is a football player the other is a gym rat.

Poe's potential lies in his ability to learn the game. Brockers' potential lies in him gaining strength. Bust factor is so much higher on Poe.

Brockers is so young, he hasn't even scraped his potential. He's a guy who plays with great balance and athleticism. He stays on his feet and continues to push his motor until the whistle is blown. Poe is a sloppy DT who gets too easily neutralized at the point of attack and is always picking himself up off the ground.
Everything Ive been reading says no way he gets out of the top 10. 4 teams ahead of us have scheduled an interview with him before his next workout. Cox will probably be there but not Brockers.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Everything Ive been reading says no way he gets out of the top 10. 4 teams ahead of us have scheduled an interview with him before his next workout. Cox will probably be there but not Brockers.
Scott's mock released today has him slipping to 18 to the Chargers.

I definitely think Brockers will ultimately be off the board by the time we pick, but it would be nice if he was there. I like him as "an" option, but I'm not tied to just one guy.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
No I agree we won't have a shot at Brockers at 14. I was just quoting an article where they talked about the hype of Poe garnering a top 10 selection and how it'd push the other guys down...I'd take any of the 4 I mentioned above over Poe.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
No I agree we won't have a shot at Brockers at 14. I was just quoting an article where they talked about the hype of Poe garnering a top 10 selection and how it'd push the other guys down...I'd take any of the 4 I mentioned above over Poe.
Interesting that you still think highly of Ta'amu. His stock has been getting hammered lately.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am curious to see what you guys think of Jared Crick DE Nebraska. He was a real big deal till he got hurt. I have only seen one person on this forum mention him, which is surprising to me. I doubt he will last till the 4th, but that is what someone else thought. I would love him in the third, but in the 4th I think he is a no brainer.

Any thoughts?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I am curious to see what you guys think of Jared Crick DE Nebraska. He was a real big deal till he got hurt. I have only seen one person on this forum mention him, which is surprising to me. I doubt he will last till the 4th, but that is what someone else thought. I would love him in the third, but in the 4th I think he is a no brainer.

Any thoughts?
He has been discussed on a here a little bit. I wouldn't mind the pick, but I think he is what we already have here. He's a run stuffer with average at best pass rush ability. He just a white Marcus Spears. I know he had 9.5 sacks in both 2009 and 2010, but he really isn't that impressive as a pass rusher. I wouldn't mind him in the 4th, but I doubt he lasts that long and I think other players would help this team more. There are definitely other players in the 3rd better for this team.

We already have a better Crick on this team in Lissemore. Lissemore is just bigger and more athletic. Biggest sleeper on the team going into 2012. If we address the defensive line I want it to be in the first or 2nd round and get a real impact player. It's similar to the situation along the interior OL. We have enough average guys, we need difference makers. Either get a stud or leave it alone and let what you have fight it out/develop.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 03-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Interesting that you still think highly of Ta'amu. His stock has been getting hammered lately.
Poe, Coples, Cox, Brockers were the 4 I was tlaking about...I see how that could have been confusing tho.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
None of you guys made a peep about Fletcher Cox before the combine.
I don't know if I posted here because I frequent a couple of sites, but I've liked cox for a while now.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mercilus had a nice showing today at Illinois' Pro Day.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6142952.story

I think the franchise tag being slapped on Spencer makes me even more on board with drafting an edge rusher at 14. We're just going to be in the same position next year if we don't draft someone into the pipeline. I'd sacrifice a part time job next year for my 1st Round Pick if it meant insurance against handing Spencer a big contract. Plus, Nickel edge rusher is a NICE part time job for a rookie.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

I think the franchise tag being slapped on Spencer makes me even more on board with drafting an edge rusher at 14. We're just going to be in the same position next year if we don't draft someone into the pipeline. I'd sacrifice a part time job next year for my 1st Round Pick if it meant insurance against handing Spencer a big contract. Plus, Nickel edge rusher is a NICE part time job for a rookie.
I'll always have a fondness for Mercilus. ...even when he's tearing things up over the next decade for the Ravens as one of the best OLBs in the league.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I wouldnt mind an edge rusher either but Im not 14 high on Mercilus. I'd rather take Curry or Chandler Jones in the 2nd. There is also Massaquoi, McClellin, and Irvin. Better value later IMO

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldnt mind an edge rusher either but Im not 14 high on Mercilus. I'd rather take Curry or Chandler Jones in the 2nd. There is also Massaquoi, McClellin, and Irvin. Better value later IMO
I can respect that, I guess it depends on how you view Mercilus. But I like his odds of becoming a stud at the next level and those other guys have a more "solid" type ceiling to me. Except Irvin, he's boom/bust but I'd be cool with a gamble on him. Since we franchised Spencer potential has risen to the top of my checklist when ranking my favorite pass rushers for us.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 03-06-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I can respect that, I guess it depends on how you view Mercilus. But I like his odds of becoming a stud at the next level and those other guys have a more "solid" type ceiling to me. Except Irvin, he's boom/bust but I'd be cool with a gamble on him. Since we franchised Spencer potential has risen to the top of my checklist when ranking the pass rushers.
I saw a mock with Mercilus going to the Giants and it gave me a headache.

Imagine that horror.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I saw a mock with Mercilus going to the Giants and it gave me a headache.

Imagine that horror.
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind...
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

A woman called into "The Lunch Break" today and made an obvious but great point about the Anthony Spencer situation and how it personifies why our team struggles to be consistent.

Her basic point was that we never draft ahead of the curve, meaning we never draft a player where he may not be at a position of need that coming year, but in 2-3 years he will fill a void caused by either age or a guy leaving in free agency. Her other point was that we don't build on strengths, which is a direct consequence from the first point. (and what I have been saying for a while now)

I used to defend Jerry Jones on most things, but I am really starting to see why everyone hates him as a general manager. We may have some good starters in place, but we have absolutely no back-ups ANYWHERE. Maybe Victor Butler and Laurent Robinson if he comes back, and a bit of depth on the DL although we don't have good starters so it doesn't matter. Until we change this philosophy of drafting (and i'm hoping Garrett sees this and will do better) we will never be consistent winners. We may have a good team 1 year, and the next year we suck because guys either get old or leave in free agency, or get injured during the season and we don't have enough resources to replace them. You only get one first round pick.

Until the depth of this football team gets drastically better, we will never have a chance. That's why we always falter in December. I used to be a homer who thought it was coincidence, but I have seen the light.

I have no faith in this team. We don't build. We take 1 step forward and then 4 steps backwards. Sorry for being negative nancy, but there really is no way around it. The Anthony Spencer situation is the epitome of this. It's what the good teams and what the teams like us don't do. Don't cover your bases at even your positions of strength and you will never get better.