Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I agree and if Jenkins, Kirkpatrick, Poe and DeCastro happen to be gone, I think we could trade back and pick up a pick or so and go after someone like Konz.
I'm having a hard time determing where I want to go with this offseason on whether I want to stay at 14 or trade back. hmmm.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Post Combine Rankings: DEFENSIVE END

1. Michael Brockers, LSU
- 6050, 322 -- 5.33 Forty -- 1.77 10 yd Split -- 19 Bench -- 35 Arms

2. Devon Still, Penn State
- 6047, 303 -- 5.00 Forty -- 10 yd Split -- 26 Bench -- 33 1/4 Arms

3. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
- 6056, 284 -- 4.72 Forty -- 1.63 10 yd Split -- 25 Bench -- 33 1/4 Arms

4. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
- 6023, 308 -- 4.97 Forty -- 1.64 10 yd Split -- DNP Bench -- 33 Arms

5. Dontari Poe, Memphis
- 6034, 346 -- 4.87 Forty -- 1.68 10 yd Split -- 44 Bench -- 32 Arms

6. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
- 6040, 298 -- 4.79 Forty -- 1.63 10 yd Split -- 30 Bench -- 34 1/2 Arms

7. Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
- 6041, 299 -- 4.79 Forty -- DNP 10 yd Split -- 36 Bench -- 33 1/4 Arms

8. Jared Crick, Nebraska
- 6042, 279 -- 4.94 Forty -- 1.69 10 yd Split -- DNP Bench -- 32 Arms

9. Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati
- 6051, 295 -- 4.94 Forty -- 1.7 10 yd Split -- 33 Bench -- 33 1/4 Arms

10. Marcus Fortson, Miami
- 6030, 300 -- DNP Forty -- DNP 10 yd Split -- DNP Bench -- DNP Arms

11. Malik Jackson, Tennessee
- 6050, 284 -- 4.93 Forty -- 1.69 10 yd Split -- 25 Bench -- 33 3/4 Arms

12. Kheeston Randall, Texas
- 6045, 293 -- 5 Forty -- DNP 10 yd Split -- 28 Bench -- 33 3/4 Arms

13. Akiem Hicks, Regina
- 6045, 318 -- 5.21 Forty -- DNP 10 yd Split -- 26 Bench -- 35 1/8 Arms

Post Combine thoughts from yours truly. lol. :)
  • Brockers didn't have the kind of display that hopeful supporters were looking from him, but that certainly didn't bother me. I remain confident in what I saw of him on field and that is a non-stop motor player with excellent balance and aggression. I think he's got a lot of upside especially in the strength department. Some people saw his 19 reps as a disappointment. I saw it as a wow factor as in... damn, what's he going to be like when he IS strong?! Major major upside. Once he gets there, he will have the makings of one of the best DTs in the game. Up to now, he's gotten by with his sheer massive size and raw athletcisim and that's scary when you think about it. Besides, can you really blame him with those 35 in arms?

• Have become a big fan of Devon Still lately and he's sky rocketed up my board. He's just a guy that brings his hard hat to work everyday and is a frustration for linemen to handle. Once he breaks through the line, he has good target ability when getting to the ball.

• Love the versatility that Coples brings and being the same size as Mario Williams makes one wonder what could be possible. His combine numbers were good, but they are no where near Mario's, so I'm not going to have similar expectations. Still, he has untapped potential and that alone is worth taking a gamble on.

• Worthy is not as quick off the snap as some of the other guys here and he tends to play differently game to game based of motivation. When on, he's a freaking terror, but he seems to pick and choose his spots, so I've tempered my hype on him since falling in love after that Wisconsin game. Still, I think he'll turn out to be a tremendous player in the NFL. Moreso than the guys I've ranked below him. That said, I see him being taken by a 4-3 team. My nightmare says that team will be Philadelphia. I can already picture his name on their jersey.

• A lot of people have Cox near the top ever since Mel Kiper released his latest big board and I'm not going to follow the crowd on this one. A great combine will tend to overrate a player... and Warren Sapp calling him "ma man right there" might have worsened that. He has excellent feet, but he tends to get washed out of plays a lot and too easily and gets neutralized at the LOS. He doesn't have that "bubble butt" factor which helps DTs to hold their ground. That's why I think the combine benefitted him. If I want a DT, I want someone who are either going to overwhelm blockers or shed them and guys who are going to stuff the run. Cox too easily gets taken out and he also gives up if the play is not near him. I smell bust and I'm willing to call that one out right now.

• Poe is the guy that everyone wants to proclaim a God, but I wasn't there before the combine and I'm not going to change drastically now either. Yes, he's a rare specimen, but 40 times for DTs don't matter much to me. He's too raw and doesn't yet understand the game of football on the level of his peers imo. I've read scouting reports saying he doesn't look like a first rounder on film, so I'm staying away. The bench press was great but he lacks a natural born feel for the position, so who ever takes him on is taking on a project.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't mean to start another argument between us so just as constructive criticism, those ratings are terrible.

Your assessment of Cox is completely off base. I just compared his combine to JJ Watt's and it's very comparable. Cox is a bit quicker and Watt has better jump numbers. Cox is a hell of an athlete with 34 1/2 inch arms and good college production. He would be a great pick at 14.

As for Brockers, way to much bust potential. He has great physical attributes, but he didn't produce at all and he's a RS sophomore. Sure the counter argument is "wait till he is coached up," but that's way to much of a risk for me. Hopefully he is gone by 14 so we don't have that dilemma.

Coples senior year was 5th round pick quality just because of his size, and I just don't see it with Still.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I don't mean to start another argument between us so just as constructive criticism, those ratings are terrible.

Your assessment of Cox is completely off base. I just compared his combine to JJ Watt's and it's very comparable. Cox is a bit quicker and Watt has better jump numbers. Cox is a hell of an athlete with 34 1/2 inch arms and good college production. He would be a great pick at 14.

As for Brockers, way to much bust potential. He has great physical attributes, but he didn't produce at all and he's a RS sophomore. Sure the counter argument is "wait till he is coached up," but that's way to much of a risk for me. Hopefully he is gone by 14 so we don't have that dilemma.

Coples senior year was 5th round pick quality just because of his size, and I just don't see it with Still.
Sounds good.

So why the recent liking of Cox? and no mention of him before today?

edit: what do you mean Coples senior year was 5th round pick quality because of his size?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Sounds good.

So why the recent liking of Cox? and no mention of him before today?
Well I read a link somewhere (can't find it currently) about us being interested in him so I looked into into him. Don't know if it was combine interviews or a league source but whatever.

Anyway, he has great size for a 5 technique or a 3 technique if we switch to a 4-3 and would be a good penetrating on nickel if Ratliff needs a break. Good production (49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks in '11) for a guy who doesn't have much help compared to a guy like Brockers who probably has at least half of the defense he is playing on going to the NFL. Sub. 1.70 10 yard split shows great explosion, and a 4.79 at nearly 300 pounds shows you the athleticism.

Plus the kid has swag and confidence but not in an arrogant way. His combine interview was powerful and sounded like a guy you want on your team.

In hindsight, those ratings aren't awful, but I really think your opinions should be flip flopped on Brockers and Cox. I would love Cox at 14 if we get a CB in free agency.

EDIT: What I meant for Coples was that as a senior this past year he played like a 5th round pick, and would only get that consideration because of his measurables. His junior tape was top 10 worthy, but a drop as steep as that in play and production scares me. Did teams figure him out, was it his work ethic, or a combo or both? Either way, that's a red flag.

Sorry, I did word it a little weird.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 03-02-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Well I read a link somewhere (can't find it currently) about us being interested in him so I looked into into him. Don't know if it was combine interviews or a league source but whatever.

Anyway, he has great size for a 5 technique or a 3 technique if we switch to a 4-3 and would be a good penetrating on nickel if Ratliff needs a break. Good production (49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks in '11) for a guy who doesn't have much help compared to a guy like Brockers who probably has at least half of the defense he is playing on going to the NFL. Sub. 1.70 10 yard split shows great explosion, and a 4.79 at nearly 300 pounds shows you the athleticism.

Plus the kid has swag and confidence but not in an arrogant way. His combine interview was powerful and sounded like a guy you want on your team.

In hindsight, those ratings aren't awful, but I really think your opinions should be flip flopped on Brockers and Cox. I would love Cox at 14 if we get a CB in free agency.

EDIT: What I meant for Coples was that as a senior this past year he played like a 5th round pick, and would only get that consideration because of his measurables. His junior tape was top 10 worthy, but a drop as steep as that in play and production scares me. Did teams figure him out, was it his work ethic, or a combo or both? Either way, that's a red flag.

Sorry, I did word it a little weird.
So you haven't seen Cox play? OK. Maybe that's why we differ. I think my comments on him are pretty spot on. Doesn't have the thick base I like for DTs. He's a guy that gets blocked out of the play too much. Doesn't have a good repitoire of moves, plays too upright, and has a hard time shedding blocks to get to the ball carrier. If left unblocked he has good down hill ability though.

49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks in '11 for Cox and you're in love.
55 tackles, 15 TFL, 7.5 sacks in '11 for Coples and you think he played like a 5th rounder.

59 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 10 sacks in '10 for Coples and he plays like a Top 10 pick. 4 tackles less, .5 TFL less and 2.5 sacks less and you say he goes from Top 10 to 5th round.

It's no wonder we disagree.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So you haven't seen Cox play? OK. Maybe that's why we differ. I think my comments on him are pretty spot on. Doesn't have the thick base I like for DTs. He's a guy that gets blocked out of the play too much. Doesn't have a good repitoire of moves, plays too upright, and has a hard time shedding blocks to get to the ball carrier. If left unblocked he has good down hill ability though.

49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks in '11 for Cox and you're in love.
55 tackles, 15 TFL, 7.5 sacks in '11 for Coples and you think he played like a 5th rounder.

59 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 10 sacks in '10 for Coples and he plays like a Top 10 pick. 4 tackles less, .5 TFL less and 2.5 sacks less and you say he goes from Top 10 to 5th round.

It's no wonder we disagree.
I have seen Cox play. He bench presses lineman off of him like a champ.

As for Coples, it's not about the stats. I trust Mike Mayock, and that was his exact quote. Other draft experts have said the same. Coples was a non-factor this year. Stats don't tell the whole story.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I have seen Cox play. He bench presses lineman off of him like a champ.

As for Coples, it's not about the stats. I trust Mike Mayock, and that was his exact quote. Other draft experts have said the same. Coples was a non-factor this year. Stats don't tell the whole story.
Cox bench presses linemen off him??? hahahahaha.

I agree stats don't tell all, but that was your supporting argument for Cox in the first place. Now you wanna change course because Coples outdid him? All I did was a simple comparison.

The difference between me and you is that your opinions are based off what you hear or read. I formulate my own thoughts. If they differ from the masses, I'm ok with that. You can stay in tune with the mock experts and that's fine too.

But look at the history of drafts and how players turned out... then tell me how accurate all those guys are before you start to preach how credible they are.

This is an inexact science but the thing I always say is... "believe what your eyes tell you."

I think too much is put into stats and combine numbers and then people get fooled because they try to match those numbers into convincing themselves to like or not like a player. Even Senior Bowl practices are a joke for the most part.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coples played out of position last season... he chose to help the team and play DT, a position he had very little experience with. The technique is completely different and im sure his motor did run hot/ cold because he wasnt used to getting attacked by double teams for O-lineman.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Coples played out of position last season... he chose to help the team and play DT, a position he had very little experience with. The technique is completely different and im sure his motor did run hot/ cold because he wasnt used to getting attacked by double teams for O-lineman.
I don't get why this point isn't brought up more. ...which makes his numbers even more impressive.

That's why all these Mayocks and McShays are frequently leading the blind off a cliff.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Free Agency Day 3 - Brandon Carr signs with the Cowboys

The Cowboys have come to terms with cornerback Brandon Carr in what turned out to be an intense pursuit for the highly sought after free agent cornerback. The Cowboys outbid the Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, and Cincinnati Bengals for the services of Carr giving him a 5 year, $48M dollar contract.

Carr's got terrific size (6'0", 207 lbs) and excels in man coverage, which is essential in Rob Ryan's defensive scheme. Best of all, he's just now entering the prime of his career, and pairing him with Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick would instantly make a bad secondary look pretty solid. At just 25 years old, he probably hasn't even entered his prime yet. He is a guy with tremendous upside after just four seasons in the league.

- PFF.com comments on the Cowboys needs
Quote:
Primary Need: Cornerback

One of the reasons the Cowboys once again were kept out of the playoffs was that the secondary couldnít hold up, which was especially costly in Ryanís blitz-happy defense. If the last two seasons are any indication (-8.4 overall grade in 2010, -9.1 in 2011), Terence Newmanís days, at least as a starter, are over. On the other side, Mike Jenkins (+1.1) struggled with some injuries and didnít find his 2009 Pro Bowl form, but did improve on his horrid 2010 campaign. Despite recently getting a nice contract, slot cornerback Orlando Scandrick (-5.6 overall) doesnít seem like the answer and will likely remain in the slot.

With Jenkins not going anywhere, the Cowboys need to find Newmanís replacement, but probably donít want to commit as much to this new addition as they did with Jenkins or even Scandrick. Chiefs free agent Brandon Carr (+2.7) would be ideal. The Cowboys likely wouldnít have to break the bank and Carr is a solid starting DB, giving up only three TDs last year and ending with a +3.9 coverage grade.
Brandon Carr gave up completions 49.4% of the time he was covered, good for 13th in the league for all cornerbacks. Of those who finished ahead of him only 4 others were targeted more. Carr was targeted 79 times. For comparisons sake Mike Jenkins was targeted 54 times and gave up receptions 51.4% of the time he was targeted. Tied for 20th in the league. Orlando Scandrick was horrendous as he was targeted 62 times and gave up receptions 69.4% of the time he was targeted. Good for 96th in the league out of 109 CBs.

The beauty about Carr is that while 13th in the league is not neccessarily in the elite class for 2011, in 2010 he finished 5th in this category and that year was battle tested every game finishing with a staggering 110 targets against him! For being in the league just 4 years, Carr projects to being one of the league's best CBs for a long time as he begins to enter his prime.

With the Cowboys being able to ink both Mike Adams and Brandon Carr in free agency, their 2012 secondary should be able to see immediate benefits. The best way to get a quick fix is to bring in established veterans and the Cowboys have seemingly done just that. This also opens up the early draft to address positions other than the secondary. Their cap space has been cut in half as they opened the offseason with a little over $20M in space and have since given Adams a deal that opens with a $2M dollar salary and Carr a contract that opens with a $9M dollar salary.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Cowboys place Franchise Tag on Anthony Spencer

After much deliberation the Dallas Cowboys have elected to place their Franchise Tag on Outside Linebacker, Anthony Spencer. Spencer will play on a one year contract that will pay him $8.8M dollars in 2012-13.

After being selected in the 1st round in 2007 with the 26th pick, Spencer has had a productive yet lackluster career with the Cowboys. This investment seems to be a calculative move by the Cowboys. By waiting for the last moment to use the tag, it shows that they were not completely pleased with Spencer's recent play enough to give him a long term deal. Yet, he was one of the better players available at his position in Free Agency. The Cowboys now have a chance to evaluate his play one more year and also give them the flexibility to draft a potential replacement and watch that development. At the very least, the Cowboys know the floor production they can expect out of Spencer for one more year. Don't expect the Cowboys to place any less emphasis on OLB in the draft just because they franchised Spencer.

The Cowboys are now tight against the cap unless further moves are made to restructure salary. Laurent Robinson and Mat McBriar are still considered valuable, but they may have to take less than what they can get on the open market in order to stay with the Cowboys.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this is how we kick off the offseason I'm pretty sure I'll be in a state of eternal bliss.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
If this is how we kick off the offseason I'm pretty sure I'll be in a state of eternal bliss.
Haha. Thanks. But yeah, Mike Adams and Brandon Carr would instantly improve our secondary and give us flexibility in the draft. In a year where we are hoping to turn things around quickly, I believe you need to have established veterans come in to speed that turnaround. With rookies it's more like a wait and see approach.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Cowboys and Laurent Robinson still far apart

In what seems to be a stalemate between parties, the Dallas Cowboys and breakout receiver Laurent Robinson still seem divided on the terms of a new deal. Robinson's breakout season with the Cowboys has re-established his market value and Robinson's agent believes that more money can be made for his client in the open market.

The Cowboys had believed a saturated receiving class in Free Agency would calm those expectations, but the sides still remain far apart in negotiations. With the amount of money already tied up to the WR position and the amount already spent in FA so far this year, the Cowboys can't afford to break the bank for Robinson. Yes, his addition was a pivotal part of the Cowboys success on offense last season, but there is a lot of support in the front office that much of that credit belonged to the attention that was drawn away from Robinson due to the threat of Bryant and Austin. There is also some who think more targets should be thrown to Bryant as his sophomore campaign did not take off as entirely expected.

If the Cowboys cannot come to an agreement with Robinson, you can expect them to take a look at some of these names who could be more affordable: Donnie Avery, Ted Ginn, Harry Douglas, Steve Smith (PHI), Eddie Royal, Mario Manningham, Danny Amendola.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 AM    (permalink
D-Ware Nightmare
Rookie

D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How sweet would it be to bring Amendola back?!?!
D-Ware Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ware Nightmare View Post
How sweet would it be to bring Amendola back?!?!
I wonder how good he would've actually been if he were on a team with solid receivers. I just think he was a little overrated based on the fact that the Rams had nobody else.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Cowboys restructure contracts to create more cap space

With each offseason that passes by, Stephen Jones continues to build a reputation as a savvy financial magician. This year, the magic act continued as Jones was able to come to agreements with Doug Free (Tackle) and Orlando Scandrick (Cornerback) to restructure their deals in a way to create more cap space for the Cowboys this offseason.

Signing Brandon Carr and Mike Adams took out a big chunk of the Cowboys cap space and placing the tag on Anthony Spencer will nearly take them to their brink unless a more affordable long term deal can be compromised between now and the signing deadline.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Rob steals from Rex's back pocket to land Pouha

When the deadline to declare franchise players came and went without the Jets tagging NT Sione Pouha, he became open season for all... and that all included Rex Ryan's own brother Rob. With no love lost in between this never ending poking match between the two brothers this signing of Pouha probably took it to another level today.

"I am just thrilled with the addition of Pouha!" exclaimed Rob Ryan upon being asked about the signing. "He was the top run stuffing Tackle in the league last season and he just commands so much attention, that he's going to make this defense look 10 times better than last year's squad.... AND he's a tremdous leader in the lockerroom. Hatcher will like that!"

So the Cowboys came to terms with Sione Pouha on a 3 year, $18M dollar deal with help using money that they opened up by restructuring the deals of Doug Free and Orlando Scandrick earlier today. It didn't take long for them to use it.

"We knew we had to act fast in order to land Pouha and that's what we did." said Stephen Jones. "The Jets really tried to beat everyone to the punch by trying to make a deal with him before FA started, but as I heard one analyst say... If the New York Jets were any closer to the salary cap they'd be kissing it on the lips."

Jerry Jones had this to offer, "On the one hand, Pouha's position is one of the most physically demanding in football. He is asked to consistently take on double teams and sometimes even triple teams. Handing a 33-year-old nose tackle a long-term deal worth big bucks is a tough call.

On the other hand, his age may be misleading for the mileage he has on the tires since he entered the league late after serving a 2 year church mission, and has only played 53.5 percent of the team's snaps since 2009, so the past three years have really been more like one-and-a-half for him."

The Cowboys tried to hide their interest by saying Jay Ratliff wasn't going to move away from NT, after early rumors suggested that would be the case. Knowing Rob, he will continue to be versatile in showing offenses different looks, so Ratliff will never completely transition away from playing NT, but this is a great signing for the Dallas Cowboys. In attempting to turn around a disappointing season in 2011, the Cowboys are definitely showing that they are going to rely on veteran talent to surge this turn around.... something which is more sure to work than hoping for rookie help via the draft. ...and Pouha arrives already knowing the terminology of Rob's defense, so the transition should provide immediate dividends.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Cowboys still have a lot of question marks heading into the NFL Draft

In what seems to be a stalemate between parties, the Dallas Cowboys and breakout receiver Laurent Robinson still seem divided on the terms of a new deal. Robinson's breakout season with the Cowboys has re-established his market value and Robinson's agent believes that more money can be made for his client in the open market.

The Cowboys had believed a saturated receiving class in Free Agency would calm those expectations, but the sides still remain far apart in negotiations. With the amount of money already tied up to the WR position and the amount already spent in FA so far this year, the Cowboys can't afford to break the bank for Robinson. Yes, his addition was a pivotal part of the Cowboys success on offense last season, but there is a lot of support in the front office that much of that credit belonged to the attention that was drawn away from Robinson due to the threat of Bryant and Austin. There is also some who think more targets should be thrown to Bryant as his sophomore campaign did not take off as entirely expected.

If the Cowboys cannot come to an agreement with Robinson, you can expect them to take a look at some of these names who could be more affordable: Donnie Avery, Ted Ginn, Harry Douglas, Steve Smith (PHI), Eddie Royal, Mario Manningham, Danny Amendola.[/quote]
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woot Woot!!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

2012 NFL DRAFT - DAY 1

The draft stage is already set and millions of fans around the world and here in New York have gathered to become part of the excitement that has become the popular NFL Draft. As the countdown nears to the first pick of the draft, teams are actively hustling and bustling around preparing to hear their names on the clock.

Looks like the commissioner is already at the podium ready to kick start the days events.

Commission Goddell: Welcome to the 2012 NFL Draft... blah blah blah... The Colts are ON THE CLOCK!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Woot Woot!!!!
Ha ha! I love you man. The real fun is about to start!!! You ready for this???!!!

I'm excited just to type it out!

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-06-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Come at me bro, bring it!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

2012 NFL DRAFT - ROUND 1 (Part I)

Commission Goddell: With the 1st pick of the draft the...

1. Indianapolis Colts select QB Andrew Luck, Stanford.
-- Surprise pick of the draft.

2. Washington Redskins via trade w/CLE select QB Robert Griffin the 3rd, Baylor.
-- Redskins up the ante in the NFC East... at the cost of many draft picks.

3. Minnesota Vikings select OT Matt Kalil, USC.
-- Vikings have this pick locked in.

4. Cleveland Browns select RB Trent Richardson, Alabama.
-- Browns can rely on Richardson to provide stable offense in the Ground 'n Pound division that is the AFC North.

5. Tampa Bay Buccanneers select CB Morris Claiborne, LSU.
-- Rhonde Barber is old, okay?

6. St. Louis Rams select WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State.
-- Move down and still get thier guy.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars select DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina.
-- Jaguars need to find some pass rush. Thier DEs suck.

8. Miami Dolphins select OT Riley Reiff, Iowa.
-- I'm going to go out on a limb and say Marc Colombo needs to be replaced.

9. Carolina Panthers select DT Dontari Poe, Memphis.
-- Desperately looking for help stuffing the run. Poe is a gamble, but he's large.

10. Buffalo Bills select DE Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State.
-- The Marcell Dareus investment will start to really pay off now.

11. Kansas City Chiefs select ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College.
-- Pioli is not afraid of taking ILB this high (Jerod Mayo) and the Chiefs need a heart beat on defense.

12. Seattle Seahawks select QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M.
-- Pete Carroll can't afford to pass on QBs in the draft anymore.

13. Arizona Cardinals select OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford.
-- Is it ironic that Martin goes from protecting Andrew Luck's blindside to protecting Peyton Manning's?

14. Dallas Cowboys select Cord.....

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-06-2012 at 11:20 PM.