Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The 2012 Panthers Draft Discussion

I havent seen any of these in here yet so I decided to make one. This is going to be a very critical draft for this staff seeing as we look to be a team on the upswing. We have plenty of needs on both sides of the ball, but defense seems to be in need of an upgrade. I have the top needs for the Panthers in this order.

DE/DT
CB
WR
OT
FS

As of now we are in the 8th spot with two games left. At that point it seems like a lot of top guys like Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon, etc will be gone. Reaching for a guy like Kirkpatrick, Martin, any of the DTs dosen't seem like the right decision. A guy that seems to be an interesting option is Quinton Coples. He fits multiple needs on defense and probably wouldn't be that much of a reach. Another scenario I would like is a double dip in the South Carolina pool if we finish out of the top 10. Draft Alshon Jeffery in the first and Gilmore in the second. Both fill pressing needs at this point. What are everyone's thoughts?
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will be pissed if we take Alshon.

We are pretty much playing ourselves into the place in the draft where I would want to trade back. Kirkpatrick is decent but probably not a top ten pick. Seeing as we already traded our third rounder I would like to get an additional pick and move back.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a lot of interesting talent in the middle of the first. By that I mean guys at the LB/DT/CB position.

I think the safest and possibly the best for the long term for us to make is to look at one of the tackles and protect Cam. Byron Bell is possibly the worst RT in the league right now and Gross is getting old. Wharton is also a player on our line who is not holding up well at all, he is actually doing really badly as well.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

idk man unless it's Kalil I don't want an OT. Martin and Reiff are projects to me and I would rather take a defensive player or a WR to help Cam.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
idk man unless it's Kalil I don't want an OT. Martin and Reiff are projects to me and I would rather take a defensive player or a WR to help Cam.
It depends on how the players grade out. I actually think a solid tackle who could eventually become the LT would be more beneficial to Cam then a receiver. As of now, our offensive line is poo and it's preventing our offense from being as explosive as it was at the beginning of the year. Newton isn't even trying to go deep anymore because he doesn't have enough time.

If you're trying to start a team that can be competitive year in and year out I think you need mainstays at QB, C, LT, DT/DE and MLB.

Of course there are other combinations that work, but having those sealed in place makes sticking other players around them a lot easier.

If we trade back, I would think about Janoris Jenkins being a possibility although his issues might be too much risk for a young team.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We do need a future #1 receiver but we'll be fine through next year with Gettis coming back to take LaFell's role while LaFell likely steps into Naanee's role (Naanee is a UFA and hard to imagine him being back given our cap situation). Add in Pilares, Edwards, and possibly Adams or Ajirotutu for depth along with Steve Smith as the current #1 and our receiving core is fine.

I'm a UNC fan and I'm not big on Coples. He'll be drafted more on athleticism than on actual production. Half of his sack total this season came in two games (Duke & James Madison). There were games where he just totally disappeared, and it wasn't because he was constantly double or triple teamed. He was just being handled one on one by non-NFL propsect linemen.

I'd rather take a Kirkpatrick or an O-linemen in that spot. I like Jeffrey but with our biggest holes being on defense and along the O-line, that's a luxury pick.

Last edited by JPF : 12-27-2011 at 10:24 PM.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Looks like most people are mocking Brockers to us at #9. Depending on how he does tomorrow though could his stock rise even more to the point where another team would try to jump us to get him?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
Looks like most people are mocking Brockers to us at #9. Depending on how he does tomorrow though could his stock rise even more to the point where another team would try to jump us to get him?
Brockers had 19 reps on bench and an average 40.

Dontari Poe had 44 reps on bench, ran a 4.87 40 at 350 pounds.

I need to know more about both of them, but Poe is owning the metrics right now. Those numbers are all better than Ngata and Raji's at a heavier weight even.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Brockers had 19 reps on bench and an average 40.

Dontari Poe had 44 reps on bench, ran a 4.87 40 at 350 pounds.

I need to know more about both of them, but Poe is owning the metrics right now. Those numbers are all better than Ngata and Raji's at a heavier weight even.
Just got done watching Poe's 40 and high jump holy ****. I know players stock's can get overblown after a strong combine performance, but he looks like the real deal.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Scott Wright has Fletcher Cox to the Panthers as the first DT off the board. I really have no idea who the best DT is at this point. It's a merry-go-round. I really like this second round pick for the Panthers: Stephon Gilmore. He's got size, speed, he hits, did well in the combine drills and has nice hands.

What about drafting linebackers? Thomas Davis has obvious issues, Beason is also coming back and Conner might leave. What about Ronnell Lewis or Lavonte David? Rivera can't fight the urge to draft a LB like himself back to back years can he?

A team offering a third rounder or a second would also interest me in moving back in the first.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are Davis' issues?

Shutdown, Fletcher Cox is definitely the best DT. My concern with that mock projection is that the Carolina GM has come out and said he's not specifically looking for DTs in the first round. He may be just BSing, but it's worth noting.

I've thought about mocking Michael Floyd to the Panthers at 9....
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
What are Davis' issues?

Shutdown, Fletcher Cox is definitely the best DT. My concern with that mock projection is that the Carolina GM has come out and said he's not specifically looking for DTs in the first round. He may be just BSing, but it's worth noting.

I've thought about mocking Michael Floyd to the Panthers at 9....
Davis has had three straight knee surgeries, nobody has come back from that.

Scott Wright mentions that Cox is really popular amongst the coaches and GMs.

I know Hurney isn't looking specifically at DT, if Blackmon or Claiborne fell I don't think anyone would pass. Floyd had a really nice combine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453
Poe looks standard, Zach Brown is a bit different but bringing in linebackers is definitely a need. Is Josh Robinson from UCF in your mock? If he were available I think we would take him over Brown, our secondary is the pits.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Jordan Senn is going to test free agent waters. Not that big a hit, but maybe we are all overlooking the linebacker position some? Beason and Davis are both coming off injury, Connor might leave as well.

I'd really love having two second rounders to pick up a talented corner and linebacker. Or maybe pick up a veteran in free agency.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
xposipx
Rookie

xposipx hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here's my dream draft as of 3/10 pre FA

1. Luke Kuechly (moving Beason to OLB and assuming Connor/Senn are gone amd Claiborne is off the board)
2. Kelechi Osemele (Otah is too unreliable and this makes OL a big strength)
3. Jamell Fleming (Obvious need if not addressed at this point)
4. Brandon Taylor
5. Drew Butler (Baker needs to go)
6. Russell Wilson
xposipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposipx View Post
Here's my dream draft as of 3/10 pre FA

1. Luke Kuechly (moving Beason to OLB and assuming Connor/Senn are gone amd Claiborne is off the board)
2. Kelechi Osemele (Otah is too unreliable and this makes OL a big strength)
3. Jamell Fleming (Obvious need if not addressed at this point)
4. Brandon Taylor
5. Drew Butler (Baker needs to go)
6. Russell Wilson

I'd like the Kuechly pick if we were to trade back a few spots. I don't think I would take him in the top ten. Beason just doesn't seem to be as affective when moved outside.

Are these picks by round or just order? We don't have a third round pick currently but Flemming is a strong choice. I like the 2nd-3rd round talent at corner.

I like the last two picks, especially Drew Butler and I'm glad you brought that up. Baker sucks, I also wouldn't mind if we drafted a new field goal kicker to replace Mare. Baker and Mare have $9M and $12M contracts respectively. It would be nice to get some rookies who are better for cheaper.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
xposipx
Rookie

Quote:
I'd like the Kuechly pick if we were to trade back a few spots. I don't think I would take him in the top ten. Beason just doesn't seem to be as affective when moved outside.

Are these picks by round or just order? We don't have a third round pick currently but Flemming is a strong choice. I like the 2nd-3rd round talent at corner.

I like the last two picks, especially Drew Butler and I'm glad you brought that up. Baker sucks, I also wouldn't mind if we drafted a new field goal kicker to replace Mare. Baker and Mare have $9M and $12M contracts respectively. It would be nice to get some rookies who are better for cheaper.
I was just saying the picks in order. Now that the Eagles are targeting Dan Connor I think trading down a little would be fine. Everyone mocking had Kuechly to PHI. I agree with the Mare thing as well...honestly I think Medlock isn't that bad of a kicker and should be able to take his job. Also, Kasay, Nick Folk and Feely are cheaper free agents at this point as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
xposipx
Rookie

All of a sudden our OG position is a weakness and we have no depth at OT. I think if we get ANY offer to trade down in the 1st we should jump at it. 4-5 spots should land us a 3rd rounder. We should still draft the BPA and be set.

New dream mock is:

1. Kuechly/DeCastro/Cox/Poe in that order.
2. Osemele/Zeitler or BPA DT
3. (3rd rd through trade) Cyrus Gray or Jonathan Massaquoi or Derek Wolfe
4.Jamell Fleming
5.Brandon Taylor
6. Drew Butler
7. OL depth (will blackwell?)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposipx View Post
All of a sudden our OG position is a weakness and we have no depth at OT. I think if we get ANY offer to trade down in the 1st we should jump at it. 4-5 spots should land us a 3rd rounder. We should still draft the BPA and be set.

New dream mock is:

1. Kuechly/DeCastro/Cox/Poe in that order.
2. Osemele/Zeitler or BPA DT
3. (3rd rd through trade) Cyrus Gray or Jonathan Massaquoi or Derek Wolfe
4.Jamell Fleming
5.Brandon Taylor
6. Drew Butler
7. OL depth (will blackwell?)
Yeah, I'd agree that an offensive lineman now becomes a stronger possibility without us signing anybody. Wharton was nice to have but he was on the decline.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, Cowboys fan here. We just picked up Mackenzy Bernedeau and apparently gave him starters quality money. Do you guys have any insight on him? Can he play?
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Hey guys, Cowboys fan here. We just picked up Mackenzy Bernedeau and apparently gave him starters quality money. Do you guys have any insight on him? Can he play?
He is a decent backup, but no starter. He is very strong and has above average run blocking skills, but is really weak in pass blocking and can get pushed around very easily at times. Basically if your bringing him in to be a backup, it's a good signing. As a starter though? Good luck with that.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you all really think it's possible they draft Kuechly and move Beason to OLB?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Do you all really think it's possible they draft Kuechly and move Beason to OLB?

I don't like Beason outside. I'd rather take a true outside linebacker to fill TD's role.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
xposipx
Rookie

Quote:
I don't like Beason outside. I'd rather take a true outside linebacker to fill TD's role.
I was wrong, Kuechly would be a WLB if we took him. Beason would stay MLB. I really like the FA players we are looking at in Nakamura and Jason Brown too. Opens up a lot more possibilities leaving LB and CB and OT depth as the biggest holes to fill.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

We signed Nakamura to a three year deal. After reading articles about why he left Baltimore (He loved the team but wants to start) I am convinced Rivera told him that if you come in and help our special teams you will have a legitimate shot to win the starting job form Martin.

He doesn't have any real experience on defense but being in Baltimore behind Reed counts for something. Nakamura isn't huge so he was never the natural compliment to Reed like the bigger in-the-box safeties such as Pollard.

I hope this signing turns out to be something like Chris Harris or Marlon McCree. I think he is a lot younger than both of them so I also hope he is a longer fix than they were. McCree split for a paycheck after his success with us.

With the way the Ravens fans and coaches talk about him I could see him beating Martin. He sounds like an intelligent, athletic, hard working player who hasn't gotten the opportunity. Martin never struck me as someone who cared all that much. Maybe that's what happens when you don't have anyone competing for your job.

I like what Richardson said about Martin in an interview:

Quote:
Q: Sherrod Martin?

RICHARDSON: What about him?

Q: What do you think about him?

RICHARDSON: I think he plays safety.
Nakamura can win this job by being where he needs to be and making open field tackles.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
xposipx
Rookie

Here are the FA's of next year to consider. May need to groom a starting T, CB, FB. Bringing in Tolbert tells me we will be looking at a FB/RB combo back if we don't sign him. Goodson will be gone IMO as will Sherrod Martin. It also looks like we are interested in mid-round WRs for this year.

Steve Smith (WR)
Jeff Otah (RT)
Darius Butler (CB)
Sherrod Martin (FS)
Jason Williams (OLB)
Mike Goodson (RB)
Ben Hartsock (TE)
Captain Munnerlyn (CB)
Andre Neblett (DT)
Kion Wilson (LB)
Jyles Tucker (LB)
Ogemdi Nwaguo (DT)