Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make the NCAA. The NIT is embarrassing; they should do away with it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
12) Illinois
13) Arizona
Why? I don't see either as big time basketball programs. Maybe I'm missing something...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You think Maryland is really that high?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This got me thinking about what the top 15 jobs in college basketball are. Any disagreements?

1) UNC
2) Duke
3) Kentucky
4) UCLA
5) Syracuse
6) UConn
7) Kansas

These are the no brainers. Then I would go:

8) Michigan State
9) Indiana
10) Louisville
11) Georgetown
12) Illinois
13) Arizona
14) Ohio State
15) Maryland

Disagreements? It gets a little more fluid after 11.
I don't disagree with the teams you included, but I would bump Indiana up and consider Florida and Texas as well, despite them being football schools.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
You think Maryland is really that high?
I'm having trouble coming up with teams that really belong in the top 15, though.

Many really good teams, perennially, have major football teams that take the limelight, recruiting money, and whatnot.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Why? I don't see either as big time basketball programs. Maybe I'm missing something...
Arizona just had a 25 year NCAA tourney streak snapped. And Illinois regularly produces top talent.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-The only thing Illinois is really missing is a national championship. Illinois is a basketball school first, have great fan support, a great recruiting base, and a history of success (9 elite eights, 5 final fours).

-Lute Olson put Arizona basketball among the elites in the country. And unlike at Illinois, Arizona has won a national championship, and made another championship game (along with many final four and elite eight appearances).

-Maryland is basically the same story as the other two.

I'm not sure what teams have a much stronger argument. Michigan? Purdue? Pitt? Marquette? Villanova? Those were probably my next 5, but I think all have more flaws.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This got me thinking about what the top 15 jobs in college basketball are. Any disagreements?

1) UNC
2) Duke
3) Kentucky
4) UCLA
5) Syracuse
6) UConn
7) Kansas

These are the no brainers. Then I would go:

8) Michigan State
9) Indiana
10) Louisville
11) Georgetown
12) Illinois
13) Arizona
14) Ohio State
15) Maryland

Disagreements? It gets a little more fluid after 11.
Kansas 7th? It should be in the top 5 just based on history. UConn and Syracuse are products of Boeheim and Calhoun. They wouldn't be that dominate without them. And kids like good weather.

And I'm an Illini fan, but it's not as prestigious as Ohio State and Arizona. I'd put Texas 16th. NC State, Michigan, and Wisconsin are honorable mentions.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
UConn and Syracuse are products of Boeheim and Calhoun. They wouldn't be that dominate without them.
You could say the same about Duke, they were garbage before coach K. But at this point they are just good programs that could sustain a coaching change.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

They aren't all in order. I would put Kansas above Syracuse and UConn too, that was just my top 7.

Although I do chuckle at the notion that Kansas is desirable because of its weather.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-09-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Kansas 7th? It should be in the top 5 just based on history. UConn and Syracuse are products of Boeheim and Calhoun. They wouldn't be that dominate without them. And kids like good weather.

And I'm an Illini fan, but it's not as prestigious as Ohio State and Arizona. I'd put Texas 16th. NC State, Michigan, and Wisconsin are honorable mentions.
Wisconsin? Football comes first there and the high schools are filled with awkward 3 point shooting white kids. It's pretty amazing what Bo Ryan has done there but I don't think it's anything special as a program.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah I would much rather take the Minnesota job than the Wisconsin job.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The weather part was more aimed at UConn and Syracuse.

And I guess I'm just Big 10 biased.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like Florida has to be a top 15 job.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I could certainly see the argument for Florida, but, man, talk about a job that wasn't worth a damn 10 teams ago...Florida basketball is Billy Donovan.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I don't disagree with the teams you included, but I would bump Indiana up and consider Florida and Texas as well, despite them being football schools.
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that a top 15 would be without those 2 programs.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
I could certainly see the argument for Florida, but, man, talk about a job that wasn't worth a damn 10 teams ago...Florida basketball is Billy Donovan.
I don't disagree with you, but the same argument could be made for Duke, Syracuse, UConn, Arizona, and a few others.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I don't disagree with you, but the same argument could be made for Duke, Syracuse, UConn, Arizona, and a few others.
Eh....not really. For starters, most of those coaches have been/were at their jobs for 25-30+ years. Donovan has great for about a decade at Florida, but let's see if he's still there in 10-15 years and Florida is playing at a high level. He already almost left Florida once.

Also, while Coach K has made Duke what it is, for example, Duke had made two national championship games before he arrived in 1980 and had made four final fours. That's not a bad program at all. Florida, on the other hand, had only made one final four before Donovan came, and that was in 1994. Syracuse and UConn were both more products of their coaches. But, again, those coaches have been there for decades.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-09-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like your list bearfan_51...hard to argue anyone else for the top 15.

If we had to make a similar list for say the Top 10 mid-major jobs who would we add?

Here are a few suggestions, not in any order...

Temple
Butler
Memphis
Creighton
UNLV
Tulsa
Western Kentucky
Gonzaga
San Diego State
Davidson

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xavier, Iona and BYU.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Davidson's a product of Stephen Curry. Western Kentucky was a one-hit wonder. I'd add in Belmont.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Davidson's a product of Stephen Curry. Western Kentucky was a one-hit wonder. I'd add in Belmont.
Western Kentucky has been to the NCAA Tournament 22 times and has been to the Sweet Sixteen 7 times.

Davidson has been to the NCAA Tournament 11 times and has been to the Elite Eight 3 times.

Both seem to be very solid mid-major jobs. History backs it up.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I guess it depends on how one defines mid-major. If it's a program not in a BCS conference I would say:

1) Memphis (this is a clear #1, but again, depends how you define it)
2) UNLV
3) Xavier
4) Dayton
5) BYU
6) Creighton
7) Temple
8) Butler
9) New Mexico
10) Gonzaga
11) UTEP
12) Old Dominion
13) VCU
14) San Diego State
15) Witchita State

Combination of fan support + facilities + historical success

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess it depends on how one defines mid-major. If it's a program not in a BCS conference I would say:

1) Memphis (this is a clear #1, but again, depends how you define it)
2) UNLV
3) Xavier
4) Dayton
5) BYU
6) Creighton
7) Temple
8) Butler
9) New Mexico
10) Gonzaga
11) UTEP
12) Old Dominion
13) VCU
14) San Diego State
15) Witchita State

Combination of fan support + facilities + historical success
Really can't argue with that list.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I thought about Houston because of their historical success, but the city of Houston just doesn't care about the team, and they haven't been really relevant for years.