Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
People are "scape goating" him simply cause they see has made zero adjustments since coming back and the team is losing again. While when he was out the team was winning and playing good on both ends of the court. Granted against lesser competition then now.

Ya your right on paper they are better team then 4 games under .500.

Maybe if they stop digging themselves into large holes they wouldn't have to fight as hard to get the games back within reason and can actually win games. I know it sounds so simple yet they make it so difficult.
I would also like to see D'Antoni mix and match our units better. He doesn't play situations very well. He is capable of putting a defensive unit out there for times when we need it, he's capable of putting an offensive unit out there when we need to run and create a lot of floor spacing, and he can have a decent mix of the 2 as our starting unit, but he just doesn't play situations.

I think that win streak was a combination of the team playing weak competition, teams not understanding how to defend Lin, and the Knicks were having a lot of fun out there.

They're not playing loose right now. Too much thinking. Melo is trying too hard not to screw up and in turn is screwing up, Lin is trying to hard to adjust his game and in turn is screwing up, Stat just can't get the floor spacing he needs with Chandler on the court, there's just a lot of parts that just aren't gelling and it's really frustrating to watch.

And I think this team is mentally weak.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I would also like to see D'Antoni mix and match our units better. He doesn't play situations very well. He is capable of putting a defensive unit out there for times when we need it, he's capable of putting an offensive unit out there when we need to run and create a lot of floor spacing, and he can have a decent mix of the 2 as our starting unit, but he just doesn't play situations.

I think that win streak was a combination of the team playing weak competition, teams not understanding how to defend Lin, and the Knicks were having a lot of fun out there.

They're not playing loose right now. Too much thinking. Melo is trying too hard not to screw up and in turn is screwing up, Lin is trying to hard to adjust his game and in turn is screwing up, Stat just can't get the floor spacing he needs with Chandler on the court, there's just a lot of parts that just aren't gelling and it's really frustrating to watch.

And I think this team is mentally weak.
Well they were having fun because they were playing well and didn't have to cater their games to make certain players happy. They were just going out there and playing basketball.

Well its not like he can go and bench Stat or bench Melo for long periods of time. he is basically forced to put the best lineup he can around them.

Really the only move you can make is the move he made which is making Fields your 2nd unit 3 and moving Shumpert into the starting lineup and letting JR Smith play his natural position off the bench.

The hope of it I assume was Shumpert plays better D then Fields and would be a better shooter which would open things up for the rest of them if he knocks down his shots making the d account for him more.

The downside is less time Lin and Fields are together.

They are playing good teams and trying to make things work on the fly in a shortened season.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually like Shump's energy off the bench. I don't want us to throw Shump into the fire this year, I rather let him develop off the bench, and maybe after an offseason where he works on that jumpshot, we can plug him into the starting lineup next year.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually like Shump's energy off the bench. I don't want us to throw Shump into the fire this year, I rather let him develop off the bench, and maybe after an offseason where he works on that jumpshot, we can plug him into the starting lineup next year.

What fire? he would not be relied upon as if he was a top guy. There are plenty of teams that start off with guys in the starting lineup but they end up playing most of their minutes with the 2nd unit.

He is a better 2 guard then Fields. Fields is better of being a small forward. Since he is to slow to guard two's and his jumper is still a straight line drive. Also Iman is better as a starter then JR smith.

JR is a bench scorer.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I was hoping JR would merely be a guy who can come in and take Billy Walker minutes. I don't want JR playing too many minutes, not a huge Smith fan.

I agree that he's a better 2 guard, he's a better player period. But I feel like he gives us a spark coming off the bench, I like him in that role for this year at least. Just bc you come off the bench doesn't mean that you play less minutes. He can be like Manu was for the Spurs, coming off the bench and giving the team a lift in the middle of the 1st quarter.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This isn't a video game bro. Guys need to play together to develop chemistry and be able to smoothly move the ball. The team just hasn't had that opportunity this season so Mike's having to use games to practice and grow the team. I think that's why we saw him stick so rigidly to his 2 separate units until Chandler and Jeffries got hurt. It's just too simple to say that everything's Mike D's fault, I'm sure a couple guys like Popovich and Phil Jackson could be doing better with what Mike's had to deal with this season, but not by much.

Our starting PG wasn't even on the roster when the season started. Our backup and only other PG wasn't healthy to play until just before the Allstar break. Neither of them have had a chance to get any chemistry with our most good-pass-dependent player other than Novak and Chandler, Stat. Our best player has missed a lot of games. And now our starting Center and defensive anchor is missing games. All while having very limited practice time and a barrage of games.

I still think Mike's a good coach in many ways. He really preaches a fluid and ball moving offense, which makes a team more efficient, gets everybody involved and lets your big shot makers get into a flow by taking easier, more comfortable shots early. Most of the time he draws up good plays off of the in bounds, something a lot of NBA coaches are terrible at. He's a creative coach who finds ways to create mismatches and take advantage of his players' talents once he trusts guys and they have chemistry.

He does have his issues that he'll get criticized for, he's not the type who tinkers much and that does bite him in the ass when he's slow to call a TO to end a run or switch up the rotation to bring in a guy he doesn't trust, but overall I look at the good and the bad and now that we have Woodson to help run the D I gladly take Mike D.

Lin still has a lot to learn and I think he will, but right now I think he's a little overwhelmed and once Chandler's back I'd like to see Amar'e spending most of his time on the court with Baron, that way Lin can have a Chandler, Novak and Melo front court so there's room in the paint, he has the PnR to Chandler that he's figured out to fall back on and he can focus on figuring out how best to work with Melo. Meanwhile Baron and Stat get to build chemistry and Amar'e can start building on his better play off late, especially once the team stops sucking at passing him the ball.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 03-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** YOU, JAMES "HEY ISIAH, THIS IS HOW WE BASKETBALL, RIGHT?" DOLAN. Yeah our team is struggling but they were going to struggle this season and I really feel like Mike D would be perfect with our pieces once they had time to grow together and into the system. *sigh* This better be because Phil Jackson has shown genuine interest in signing with the Knicks and not because we're planning getting that fucknut from Kentucky.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm not a D'Antoni fan. Never was. Never will be. So I don't mind him being fired.

But having that said, I hate WHY he got fired. Let's be real, he got fired bc Melo said fire him or I want a trade, and management listened to that locker room cancer.

Melo has to go too. I'm done with Melo. He's a cancer.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'm not a D'Antoni fan. Never was. Never will be. So I don't mind him being fired.

But having that said, I hate WHY he got fired. Let's be real, he got fired bc Melo said fire him or I want a trade, and management listened to that locker room cancer.

Melo has to go too. I'm done with Melo. He's a cancer.
I think it's ******** to fire a coach who's had the kind of success Mike D has in a season like this with a team like this. Especially when it means Mike Woodson and his beloved "everyone get out on the perimeter and we're guaranteed to have an iso mismatch!" offense, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that that was just the tards on the roster in Atlanta, but our second unit was doing that tonight and I hate seeing a team waste the fact that there's 5 of them.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm willing to give Melo another chance. Just because he can be so ******* good and I'm not a fan of D'Antoni (at least not with the roster we have. Easier to replace a coach than a whole roster).

In regards to Melo however, I don't know if it's being out of shape/hurt/whatever, but the dude has no explosion around the rim anymore (much like Amare). What made Melo such an amazing scorer was his ability to play bully ball and completely manhandle his defender with the threat of a jumper. Now it's just constant jumpers (and he's not exactly Durant like there) or misses/blocked shots when going to the rim.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I give credit to the team for not getting swept but we still have a lot of needs and very little room to maneuver this off-season.

Despite what you've said in the past BBD, the bench is not good. It is crap. And getting a quality bench is harder than you think. Jeff van Gundy highlighted our needs pretty well. We need an offensive post presence and shooters. Good ones. Not one's like JR Smith and Steve Novak. Novak is a good shooter but he's afraid to shoot the ball if anyone comes even remotely close to him.

And I don't know what the hell is wrong with Woodson. I mean, Landry Fields isn't that good, but my god he's a thousand times better than JR Smith. JR Smith is a rare player who actually hurts your team just by having him on the court with his ****** defense and shot chucking. I know Toney Douglas is a chucker and Fields isn't good but at least they don't hurt us when they're on the court.

We have a lot of needs and no cap space. We'll need to execute some solid trades or find some other way to build the team. And sadly we have no draft picks because this years draft is fairly deep.

The biggest thing we have to hope for is that Jeremy Lin wasn't just a flash in the pan. If he continues to bring a high level of play like he did this year, this team can be really good. If he regresses or just doesn't improve over last year then we're pretty much dead in the water.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring back:
Landry Fields- Bring him back as a backup.
Jared Jeffries- Good defender off the bench.
Steve Novak- If defenders actually stick him, he’s useless but too many guys leave him open so yeah…
Jeremy Lin- I want him back. Undecided on whether he is a starter or not.
Josh Harrellson- Good post defender.

JR Smith has a player option. I hope he goes elsewhere.
Davis, Bibby, Walker, and Gadzuric- We should let them walk.

As Stephen A. put it, I hope the Knicks can find a sucka that will take Amar’e off our hands.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Outside of Harrellson and Lin I don't care if most of the guys don't come back. I would certainly not give any of them pay raises.

Fields: I will offer him his Qualifying offer of a million nothing else if someone wants to pay more for him trade him and take back what you can

Smith: Let him chase the MLE from somebody in FA

Novak: If he wants to take the minimum ok otherwise you can go.

Jeffries: Again I would only offer the minimum. If he wants more I have no problem going with Harrellson.

Bibby: Rather have Bibby over Toney Douglas.

Douglas: Trade him for w/e you get. If somebody offers you a 2nd round pick for him take it cause I don't think anybody will offer you a player with even a bit of a pulse.

Baron: Let him retire
Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Lin and Harrelson have to come back. Doesn't leave us with many ways to add to our team. Fields, Novak, Jeffries and JR all better than what we'd be able to bring in for their salaries, Fields his QO, Novak and Jeffries on minimum salaries and JR on his option. We'd still need a backup Center amd a backup point guard.

Lin/???
Shumpert/JR/Fields
Melo/Jeffries/Novak
Stat/Jorts
Tyson/???

What we need is a coach that'll get us out of this isoball that Mike Woodson preaches and Carmelo adores. Any system that moves the ball and keeps us from stagnating.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

You mean similar to a coach we already had but got ran out of town? lol
Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I have no problem with Mike Woodson. Look at the hand he was dealt. A team decimated by injuries and that had no identity or will, he went on a tear with them to end the sesason then faced the best team in the East in the 1st round and faced even more injuries and got bounced out of the first round.

Woodson is a good coach. Give him a healthy roster and a full year and we'll do just fine. I am not a Landry Fields fan at all, I think he's awful, so I don't necessarily care if he comes back or not. The guy has such a terrible shot. And sorry, as bad as Smith is, he's better than Fields. At least he can create his own shot, Fields just knows how to run a fast break, and slash to to the basket, that's it. Cut off his lane and he's toast. He's not even a great defender or passer.

Novak is a good regular season player. He'll help us win in the regular season with his floor spacing. And he's cheap, bring him back.

What we need is more shooters. We have a post presence, Melo posts up plenty. But we need shooters to create floor spacing, right now we have too many guys who need to attack the hoop to score, and there's a log jam. We need shooters. They'll space out the floor, maybe free up some space for Amare to operate, and Melo to work the elbow like he always does.

The problem is Shump will never be a shooter, Lin won't ever be a consistent one, and Chandler clearly won't ever be one. So that leaves us stuck.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have no problem with Mike Woodson. Look at the hand he was dealt. A team decimated by injuries and that had no identity or will, he went on a tear with them to end the sesason then faced the best team in the East in the 1st round and faced even more injuries and got bounced out of the first round.

Woodson is a good coach. Give him a healthy roster and a full year and we'll do just fine. I am not a Landry Fields fan at all, I think he's awful, so I don't necessarily care if he comes back or not. The guy has such a terrible shot. And sorry, as bad as Smith is, he's better than Fields. At least he can create his own shot, Fields just knows how to run a fast break, and slash to to the basket, that's it. Cut off his lane and he's toast. He's not even a great defender or passer.

Novak is a good regular season player. He'll help us win in the regular season with his floor spacing. And he's cheap, bring him back.

What we need is more shooters. We have a post presence, Melo posts up plenty. But we need shooters to create floor spacing, right now we have too many guys who need to attack the hoop to score, and there's a log jam. We need shooters. They'll space out the floor, maybe free up some space for Amare to operate, and Melo to work the elbow like he always does.

The problem is Shump will never be a shooter, Lin won't ever be a consistent one, and Chandler clearly won't ever be one. So that leaves us stuck.
That is just not true. No offense BBD but JR Smith is ******* terrible. Like one of the worst players in the NBA terrible.

He is a worse defender than Fields and unlike Fields he's never seen a shot he doesn't like. He's a career 43% shooter from the field. That is putrid and he shot 40% this year from the field. That is beyond horrible. Worse, unlike other players who are intelligent, he will continue to take stupid shots and chuck up the ball even when he is having a miserable shooting night. At least Fields is a solid perimeter defender, rebounder, and doesn't take a ton of dumb shots. He's not good either but he's not a moron like Smith. And Smith isn't even that good at creating his shot. He just take stupid threes even when he has a man in front of him.

Also I don't know why you're talking so definite about Lin and Shump. Developing a jump shot is arguably one of the few skills a player can continue to improve upon as they gain more time and experience in the NBA. What is harder to teach is athleticism, defense, and ability to get to the rim - all thing Shump can do. Look at Russell Westbrook. He had all the things you couldn't teach and has since developed a sweet mid-range jump shot. Same with Derrick Rose.

As far as Lin goes, there is no reason why he can't gain consistency. His main issue is turnovers - another thing that is correctable (more so than other attributes a player may or may not have).

Now, I'm not saying they will fix it but honestly I don't see why you're writing them off. Even Fields could improve his shot - but I wouldn't retain him unless the price was very low.

And Woodson is not that good of a coach. I feel like any coach could have had the record he did down the stretch when Lin and Melo were playing out of their minds good. I'm not saying we should replace him, but if there is a better option I am all for bringing in someone else.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Mike Woodson was clueless in Atlanta so I'm not just judging his ability to coach offense based off of what he did with this team. Melo might not like it, but the way we play is never going to get us deep in the playoffs and it'll keep our offense disjointed and inconsistent.

Fields isn't a bad backup wing, his D actually got better this year, but he needs to find his shot and finish at the rim to be a worthy rotational piece. This year he was terrible.

IMO the biggest needs are a second PG who can either push Lin, or run the second unit, if the coach isn't going to give the team any structure an on floor court general is going to have to. Our other biggest need is a backup C, Jorts is an awesome backup for Stat, but we need someone who can step in when Chandler's on the bench without us having to go small.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Bump. Lets get this thread going again. Stop hiding Knicks fans!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's good. Kidd needs time off he's still effective but he's plodding right now and we need him in May and June not now.

Felton's D scares me at times.

It's just a lot of inconsistency in terms of contributions from night to night. I don't think that helps chemistry but it is resulting in Ws which is awesome. There are a bunch of questions.

Can we stay healthy going forward? We are old and our guys traditionally get nicked up, even this year.

Who's doing what and where? Is Amare a finishing 5 player? Is Shumpert a finishing 5 player or even someone who can contribute offensively at all? What about Camby/Sheed? Are they really going to do anything at all for this team?

Prigioni has not improved much which isn't good. I thought he'd be able to get used to the NBA game and develop into a real good player. Just something I've noticed.

If Melo, Chandler, Felton, Kidd, and Amare are all healthy in June, they could make a SERIOUS run. It would all come down to JR Smith even if we were at 100%. If Smith can keep it up, and make no mistake he's been a completely improved and solid player (look at the post above from last year lol), we really can compete with anyone and it will just come down to how well we play (and I think we'd need Miami to play a little down to actually beat them).

Homecourt advantage would be huge but I think what's just as important is that the Pacers are our 2nd round matchup. The Bulls scare me.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Staying healthy for the playoffs is critical for us. I think Camby has a role. I'm concerned about perimeter and transition defense. Pirguoni is awful. If we can trade for a better PG I wouldn't mind that.

Stat needs to give us 20 minutes a night to provide bench scoring. I want to see better ball movement too. We get lazy and I don't like that.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Meh, I won't say too much because I'm fairly negative about this Knicks team. I'm usually more of an optimist but it's just depressing and somewhat comical how we've gone from a super young team to a super ancient team in such a short time. I'm not talking about trading for Melo or any of that either. I don't really have any issues with that, even though I hate Melo as player/person. He's been good this year though. Stat has aged like 200 years since we got him. What an awful deal that turned out to be. Still never will be a fan of the Chandler signing. Giving up a chance at a third star for a one dimensional player? Silly to me.

I suppose unlike other sports, 90% of the time you can basically predict who has a chance at the finals in basketball. I just don't see it being us. Nor will it be anytime soon and considering how damn old we are I don't see it getting any easier as the season and playoffs commence.

Our ball movement isn't lazy either, it's that Mike Woodson likes iso ball. He's a good defensive coach but sadly a god awful offensive mind.

I just hate a lot of the players on our team too. Melo is a douche. Kidd is a piece of **** human being. No one else is super likable.

Also funny how gpngc is saying what I said months ago about Felton's defense and I got slammed by BBD and Rob for it. He's not a good defender. He's a bad scorer. He's just not that good. He's a very good ball handler and a solid distributor but overall I don't consider him a good player.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Staying healthy for the playoffs is critical for us. I think Camby has a role. I'm concerned about perimeter and transition defense. Pirguoni is awful. If we can trade for a better PG I wouldn't mind that.

Stat needs to give us 20 minutes a night to provide bench scoring. I want to see better ball movement too. We get lazy and I don't like that.
I'm not really too concerned with the perimeter D. A part of that is because of Shumpert. It's obvious that he's not fully back yet from the injury. I think once he gets back into game shape and gets comfortable on the knee, he'll get back to what he was last year, defensively. It's just gonna take some time.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Meh, I won't say too much because I'm fairly negative about this Knicks team. I'm usually more of an optimist but it's just depressing and somewhat comical how we've gone from a super young team to a super ancient team in such a short time. I'm not talking about trading for Melo or any of that either. I don't really have any issues with that, even though I hate Melo as player/person. He's been good this year though. Stat has aged like 200 years since we got him. What an awful deal that turned out to be. Still never will be a fan of the Chandler signing. Giving up a chance at a third star for a one dimensional player? Silly to me.

I suppose unlike other sports, 90% of the time you can basically predict who has a chance at the finals in basketball. I just don't see it being us. Nor will it be anytime soon and considering how damn old we are I don't see it getting any easier as the season and playoffs commence.

Our ball movement isn't lazy either, it's that Mike Woodson likes iso ball. He's a good defensive coach but sadly a god awful offensive mind.

I just hate a lot of the players on our team too. Melo is a douche. Kidd is a piece of **** human being. No one else is super likable.

Also funny how gpngc is saying what I said months ago about Felton's defense and I got slammed by BBD and Rob for it. He's not a good defender. He's a bad scorer. He's just not that good. He's a very good ball handler and a solid distributor but overall I don't consider him a good player.
I don't get you man. So you liked our team when we sucked, we had ****** players and a ****** coach, but now were the 2 seed with a good coach and good players you're not into the makeup of the team? Wth?

I admit, I didn't like the Chandler signing at first but he's been worth his weight in gold. That was an excellent signing. Our mistake wasn't amnesting Stat but what's done is done.

And age is overrated. The Celtics have been ancient for the past 3 years and have fielded competitive teams. You just have to manage your roster differently. As long as we monitor minutes and keep guys healthy for the playoffs we'll be fine.

And yeah we have turds on the team. Most good players are turds. Give me e turd that is Melo over a nice guy like Gallo any day of the week. You don't win with nice guys. Not everyone is Durant.

I think this team can contend. Miami is obviously the team to beat in the East, but if you pay close enough attention, Grunwald built this team to beat the Heat. The size in the front court will give them problems. We have shooters as well. We beat them convincingly both times we played them. We have a punchers chance. And that's all you could ask for. This is a good team. Even if they're old.

And the great thing about an old team is short contracts. By the time Stat becomes expendable we can reshape the roster in 2 years. We'll be fine.

And Woodson got to 50 wins faster than any Knicks coach ever, including Van Gundy who I loved. Not too shabby. He's a hell of a coach. Never got the credit he deserved in Atlanta.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't get you man. So you liked our team when we sucked, we had ****** players and a ****** coach, but now were the 2 seed with a good coach and good players you're not into the makeup of the team? Wth?

I admit, I didn't like the Chandler signing at first but he's been worth his weight in gold. That was an excellent signing. Our mistake wasn't amnesting Stat but what's done is done.

And age is overrated. The Celtics have been ancient for the past 3 years and have fielded competitive teams. You just have to manage your roster differently. As long as we monitor minutes and keep guys healthy for the playoffs we'll be fine.

And yeah we have turds on the team. Most good players are turds. Give me e turd that is Melo over a nice guy like Gallo any day of the week. You don't win with nice guys. Not everyone is Durant.

I think this team can contend. Miami is obviously the team to beat in the East, but if you pay close enough attention, Grunwald built this team to beat the Heat. The size in the front court will give them problems. We have shooters as well. We beat them convincingly both times we played them. We have a punchers chance. And that's all you could ask for. This is a good team. Even if they're old.

And the great thing about an old team is short contracts. By the time Stat becomes expendable we can reshape the roster in 2 years. We'll be fine.

And Woodson got to 50 wins faster than any Knicks coach ever, including Van Gundy who I loved. Not too shabby. He's a hell of a coach. Never got the credit he deserved in Atlanta.
Well I liked when we were young because we had SO much potential in terms of bringing in great players. We had a chance at so many guys, even after we signed Stat. We had a REAL chance at Melo, Stat and CP3. We blew that when we were idiotic and signed Chandler. Sorry he will never be worth his contract or having him on the team because signing him cost us much more than just 60 million dollars. It cost us a chance at building a team capable of competing with the Heat year in and year out.

Age isn't overrated at all. Big deal, the Celtics won a championship. Not only that but it was BECAUSE of their age they didn't win more. Constant injuries, guys getting wore down, etc. And if you think we're good as the Celtics were you're fooling yourself. Pierce was fantastic, KG was like Chandler but with an offensive game, and Allen was just a lights out shooter. Look at the Celtics now. They are going no where in the near future and are foolish enough to keep aging guys around in some faint glimmer they might repeat.

Oh and they had a fantastic coach in Rivers. Woodson isn't that special. He's a great defensive coach but those are a dime a dozen in the NBA. He is terrible offensively. You're not a great coach if you're inept on one side of the ball. Fortunately for us we have a bunch of ball dominating guys so it works right now. It won't work in the playoffs, where as you say, it's a different animal.

And we're built to beat the Heat? So laughable. An ancient Camby and one dimensional defender in Chandler is the size that will beat the Heat? A limited Stat? Absurd. Heat will run all over us and take their defense to another level in the playoffs like they always do. I don't care we've beaten them twice. Means absolutely nothing.

I'm sorry, I just have a hard time taking you seriously when it comes to the Knicks for two reasons: 1) You're a massive homer, 2) Unlike Rosebud and LtGiants you never gave a **** about the Knicks when they sucked. It was only once we did started preforming well that you gave a damn. So don't mock me when you're saying I loved this team when we sucked and don't when we're decent. I love the Knicks, but not the team we're fielding.

I'm just a realist when it comes to basketball. It's not like football, hockey or baseball. It's different. We're not beating the Heat. I don't understand how you can even think of that when have had ONE playoff win under Woodson. That's garbage. You're already talking of crushing the Bulls and facing the Heat. I'll be happy if we win more than one damn game for a change.

And being old does hurt us. Mike Woodson doesn't know how to manage an old team properly.