Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Sanchez vs Tannehill debate is a pretty good one. Both were full time starters for about a season and a half (although Tannehill has a little more playing time the year before he became full time starter). Tannehill is a superior athlete to Sanchez - more of a threat running the ball/was a very good WR prior to becoming QB/physical stature etc. I would argue Tannehill has better arm strength as well. Coming out of college I would favor Sanchez as the better decision maker (this is without judging his inconsistent play since he has been in the league). They both played in pro-style type offenses and put up similar numbers.

Sanchez seemed to be celebrated as the number 4 overall pick yet Tannehill seems to looked down upon even if a mid to late first round pick was used on him when if comparing them side to side Tannehill actually would be the more attractive pick.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of people dislike Tannehill, but he's going to end up surprising some folks.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
The Sanchez vs Tannehill debate is a pretty good one. Both were full time starters for about a season and a half (although Tannehill has a little more playing time the year before he became full time starter). Tannehill is a superior athlete to Sanchez - more of a threat running the ball/was a very good WR prior to becoming QB/physical stature etc. I would argue Tannehill has better arm strength as well. Coming out of college I would favor Sanchez as the better decision maker (this is without judging his inconsistent play since he has been in the league). They both played in pro-style type offenses and put up similar numbers.

Sanchez seemed to be celebrated as the number 4 overall pick yet Tannehill seems to looked down upon even if a mid to late first round pick was used on him when if comparing them side to side Tannehill actually would be the more attractive pick.
It's probably because Sanchez was both overrated and overdrafted. We're seeing the ramifications of that right now for the Jets. Sanchez had what, 16 starts at USC? And I remember not liking what I saw from those starts. Tannehill has a much better arm then Sanchez and while he doesn't have the footwork or mechanics of Sanchez at USC, he looks comfortable and natural in the pocket and has a nice, high release (crucial for a tall guy, none of that side arm BS). Moves well and throws well on the run, which I like. Odds are he's going to be running early in his NFL career, I can't see him getting out of the Top 12 at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i like tannehill if he ends up in a locker or mallet situation. i really dislike him if he ends up in a gabbert situation.
I feel bad for any player who is sucked into that blackhole in Jacksonville. (Sorry, DraftSavant.)

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some people also forget that while Tannehill only had a season and a half of starts as a QB, he had two SEASONS of starts as a receiver. He might be raw, but he understands the passing game.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Some people also forget that while Tannehill only had a season and a half of starts as a QB, he had two SEASONS of starts as a receiver. He might be raw, but he understands the passing game.
Is that anything like he knows what the QB is thinking?

For me he looks like he has some nice upside but i wonder if going in the top 10 is too high especially for teams that want to win in the near future. (basically everyone)
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to say he'll reach this level, I actually see a lot of Eli in Tannehill as far as their size, arm, issues and especially their movement. Both are in that 6'4 220ish with a deceptively powerful arm. When you watch both guys their arm doesn't necessarily 'pop' with the way the ball comes off their hands because neither have a really deliberate 'snap' in their motion. Still, with both guys we routinely see them making big time throws on time to the 1 and the 5 (areas outside the hashes) from the far hash, bucket throws vs 2 deep, stick throws on deep in-breaking routes, etc. Both players biggest issue is with their inconsistent decision making and judgement lapses as far as trying to force balls into coverage. At the same time, both are poised and seem to have 'amnesia' when it comes to bad plays. Some could view this as a negative I guess because the negatives plays can snowball (another thing shared by Eli and Tannehill) but it's more important that the QB isn't scared to make a challenging play on what he feels is the right decision even if the play is immediately following a turnover or poor decision with the football. The biggest factor that connects the two in my mind is their poise and movement within the pocket. Both are exceptional in this area. Their ability to sense and feel pressure and make subtle moves to avoid it while staying balanced the best trait shared by both. They don't get frantic or flustered by the blitz and stay patient and in control. In fact, Tannehill was blitzed 140 times this season on 3rd down and was sacked twice (according to Gil Brandt).

You will probably have to go through some lumps early on with Tannehill much like the Giants did with Eli. But knowing his issue's are fixable, I can't help to be excited about a prospect who is as natural, as physically talented and as skilled in the pocket as Ryan Tannehill is.

Last edited by TACKLE : 03-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i like tannehill if he ends up in a locker or mallet situation. i really dislike him if he ends up in a gabbert situation.
I see this line of thinking with Tannehill a lot, but I think it's the opposite.

He's not like Gabbert where he needs to be completely revamped mechanically, and he's not like Locker where he's a really, really big project from inside the pocket. Combine how far along he is with the "little things" of playing QB (pocket presence, mechanics, footwork, release, throwing on the run with velocity+accuracy) with his comfort zone in the passing game (intermediate passing game outside the numbers and rollouts/bootlegs with half-field reads), and you have a quarterback who you can protect schematically while keeping the defense accountable for all areas of the field.

I just don't know how much sitting benefits him, TBH, especially if he's behind a guy who will take the lion's share of snaps in practice during the week. This isn't the traditional raw QB we're used to seeing. What he needs is starts and to throw against live-action coverages.

People say that Tannehill needs to sit and Weeden is an instant starter, and I think it's exactly the opposite.
Steady Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Lurkin View Post
I see this line of thinking with Tannehill a lot, but I think it's the opposite.

He's not like Gabbert where he needs to be completely revamped mechanically, and he's not like Locker where he's a really, really big project from inside the pocket. Combine how far along he is with the "little things" of playing QB (pocket presence, mechanics, footwork, release, throwing on the run with velocity+accuracy) with his comfort zone in the passing game (intermediate passing game outside the numbers and rollouts/bootlegs with half-field reads), and you have a quarterback who you can protect schematically while keeping the defense accountable for all areas of the field.

I just don't know how much sitting benefits him, TBH, especially if he's behind a guy who will take the lion's share of snaps in practice during the week. This isn't the traditional raw QB we're used to seeing. What he needs is starts and to throw against live-action coverages.

People say that Tannehill needs to sit and Weeden is an instant starter, and I think it's exactly the opposite.
I tend to agree. He's far more adept at some of the nuances of playing the position than his lack of experience would indicate. I used to go back and forth on Tannehill whether it was better off to develop him by sitting or starting him. In the end I do think I side with him needing as many reps and making as many reads vs. live bullets as much as possible.

Last edited by TACKLE : 03-12-2012 at 04:22 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I don't think sitting a rookie QB is ever a bad idea. There's always more to learn about the QB position, and I'd love to see Tannehill get the Jake Locker treatment next year. Sit him for most of the season and get him a few starts late in the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do none of you talking about his starts not realize that he was a QB in HS and was recruited as a QB? He reshirted as a QB his freshman year and played QB in the spring. Some of you are acting like he never played QB before 2010.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Personally, I don't think sitting a rookie QB is ever a bad idea. There's always more to learn about the QB position, and I'd love to see Tannehill get the Jake Locker treatment next year. Sit him for most of the season and get him a few starts late in the year.
I agree with this. It's always better to sit rookie QBs.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Lurkin View Post

So Locker was this huge project and Tannehill is ready to step right in, doubt you'll get much agreement on that.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I don't agree. Learn by doing.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Steady Lurkin
Rookie

Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Steady Lurkin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
So Locker was this huge project and Tannehill is ready to step right in, doubt you'll get much agreement on that.
I'm not looking for agreement, just stating what I see.

In terms of pocket management (both in terms of dealing with pressure+confined space, and throwing accurately from the pocket with proper mechanics), Tannehill is SO much further along than Jake Locker was at a similar point in time, it's not funny. Locker was the better raw talent in terms of pure arm strength and athleticism, but Tannehill's not far behind in those categories.

Like I've been saying all along, he's not the traditional raw QB people think of.
Steady Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
i don't generally find high school qb to be a really reliable way to gauge nfl readiness. for all intents and purposes, he really only *has* played qb since 2010.
That I agree with, but some in this thread use language that sounds as though Tanne never threw a football before 2010.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

listen to the mods, they know what they're talking about

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
It's probably because Sanchez was both overrated and overdrafted. We're seeing the ramifications of that right now for the Jets. Sanchez had what, 16 starts at USC? And I remember not liking what I saw from those starts. Tannehill has a much better arm then Sanchez and while he doesn't have the footwork or mechanics of Sanchez at USC, he looks comfortable and natural in the pocket and has a nice, high release (crucial for a tall guy, none of that side arm BS). Moves well and throws well on the run, which I like. Odds are he's going to be running early in his NFL career, I can't see him getting out of the Top 12 at this point.
Cept he has a ton of passes batted down. And while he can throw on the run, it's not with the same mechanics or velocity. I do like him and he's got outstanding tools but I'm not sure he has the right feel for the game at this point. He's too mechanical. With his abilities he should have taken over games. In comparison with Sanchez, I think Mark had a better feel coming out-basically he was more capable in the crunch, and still is. Tannehill doesn't really step up. Huge concern for a guy you hope to lead your squad to a championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote