Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
VikesWookie
Rookie

VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm not sure if i'd spend 8M+ on an OG again...
take the money and make a run at SuperMario imo.
VikesWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but why throw that much money at an area of our team that is one of our few strengths rather than work on one of our major weaknesses?
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Signing Vincent Jackson, drafting Kalil and moving Johnson over to LG would be a solid step in the right direction to protect Ponder and give him a down field option. The rest of our picks can be used on DBs and another guard. What other free agents are out there that could help us?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
VikesWookie
Rookie

VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VikesWookie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
but why throw that much money at an area of our team that is one of our few strengths rather than work on one of our major weaknesses?
a solid pass rush can help mask coverage deficiencies. however our team addresses the DB positions, having two stud ends should help develop our schemes.

i'd like to see the Vikes address the WR position in FA, yet i'm not sure i'd pay a bloated fare for any that are in the pool currently.

Brandon Carr would be interesting... at the right price tho. Not a huge fan of Landry at what he'll be asking imo...

Interior O-Line should be developed through the draft and in most cases, players that are coming from rounds 3 or later. I wasn't a big fan of the 7/49M contract we gave years back to Hutch.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesWookie View Post
i'm not sure if i'd spend 8M+ on an OG again...
take the money and make a run at SuperMario imo.
Cedric Griffin was also released, which opens up another $4 mil in cap space.

EDIT:
Quote:
Tom Pelissero
‏ @TomPelissero

Griffin had $1 million in unamortized bonus proration remaining. So, cutting him saves $3.65 million. #Vikings about $23 million under cap.
First of all, there's a less than zero percent chance we sign Mario Williams, and a very slim chance we even make a run at him. There's no way we can afford to have that much money tied up in one position, especially when you consider that Robison is a solid or better starter opposite Allen.

I'm with you on the guards, though. Rather than seeing us go after Nicks or Grubbs, I'd much rather see us go after a WR. I don't think we'll have much of a chance at Vincent Jackson, given that he'll have a pretty big market, and that we don't have a whole lot of selling points to him other than offer him a lot of cash and there are other teams that will do that just as much. I'd much rather just go after Colston, who can be a good #1 for us. That way we don't have to worry about WR in the draft and can instead focus on OL and DB.

Go with something like Kalil, Gilmore, Brandon Washington, and then a S(I'm having a tough time getting a read on the S class and who will be available late 3/early 4, so I'll refrain from throwing out any names at this time). Then if we can get a MLB and DT and then some depth in the later rounds we're well on our way to rebuilding.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Last edited by marshallb : 03-10-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added tweet about Griffin
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
VikesWookie
Rookie

Robison's effectiveness appeared to end after the nutstomp incident. The coaching staff didn't feel Everson was ready enough to step in. I'm not sure they have any confidence in Everson other than in ST.

Whether we make a run or not at Mario, Brandon Carr would be a welcome addition IMO. VJax would be nice, but he's going to command an outrageous lump sum.

I'd love to see the draft fall with us taking Kalil, Gilmore... hopefully Markelle Martin falls to us in early 3rd. Use the 3rd rd comp pick on best WR or DT, then grabbing the other early 4th. LB would be my only concern with my scenario, so maybe instead of a run on Mario, a run on a LB would be money wiser spent...
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really feel like this off season should be focused on supporting Ponder. We need to give him weapons, and people up front to keep him standing. We have too many holes to try and fill everything in one off season, and I don't think anyone thinks we are one off-season away from making the playoffs, especially in the best division in football. If we give more emphasis on offense this year, next year we can have a more defensive outlook.
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would be content with pierre garcon over colston.

just sayin'....
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
i would be content with pierre garcon over colston.

just sayin'....
Yeah I would be fine with Garcon over Colston. Cheaper and probably the same amount of production. I wouldn't be surprised if he do go after Garcon and then go OT/CB in Rounds 1 and 2.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not sure how much Garcon is looking for, he did turn down a 5 year deal from the Colts so he may be asking too much for what he gives. If he is at a reasonable price, he would be a good signing, just don't want to over spend on a guy with the drop problems hes had.
Taber21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 PM    (permalink
VikesWookie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
I really feel like this off season should be focused on supporting Ponder. We need to give him weapons, and people up front to keep him standing. We have too many holes to try and fill everything in one off season, and I don't think anyone thinks we are one off-season away from making the playoffs, especially in the best division in football. If we give more emphasis on offense this year, next year we can have a more defensive outlook.
i hear ya... i'd like the focus on O to include a young vet WR and possibly another proven piece along the OLine... not breaking the bank on either.
To be able to address multiple areas would be key, although i think to keep Ponder upright, we need to get solid, known production upfront... other than Kalil (i'm hoping).
I don't expect consistent production from most rooks. i'll take my shots with this depleted DB core on investing higher in this draft with D. just my thoughts ;)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vikings re-signed Letroy Guion to a 3 year deal.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Just when you thought we couldn't need a #1 CB any more than we do...
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/...73272761401344

Quote:
Vikings reached agreement with former Seahawks tight end John Carslon on a five-year, $25 million deal.
With all the holes on the team, 5 million a year on an injury prone TE? Can't say I like the signing.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

We definitely need 2 quality TE's for what we do offensively, but like you said, $5m/year for a guy who can't stay healthy is a questionable decision.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have like it be $3.5-4 mil a year, but he is only getting $11 mil garunteed and will basically be a starter in Musgrave offense. A big part of making this deal was the weakness of this TE class.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Ya they are saying he was getting interest from at least 8 other teams, so it is understandable why they wanted to get him a deal he wouldn't turn down. As a player, if he can stay healthy, it is a great signing/fit for the Vikings.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with the signing. With Musgrave's offense, you need 2 TEs. It was a little more than what I would have liked to have seen, but the guaranteed money is the only part that really matters, and that makes the deal worth a little over $2 mil a year. We also need to surround Ponder with weapons of some sort. The top WR have all signed, leaving only Manningham and Laurent Robinson as the best options available, so we might as well sign somebody who can help out Ponder in some way or another. I'd still like to see us sign a WR, but if the market is as high for those guys as it has been so far, I'd be more than fine to see us pass on those guys and then focus on WR in round 2 or 3 in the draft.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully this turns out like the Schincoe signing. Everyone thought the Vikes were idiots for giving him 3.5 million a year, but he was well worth it.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
I'm fine with the signing. With Musgrave's offense, you need 2 TEs. It was a little more than what I would have liked to have seen, but the guaranteed money is the only part that really matters, and that makes the deal worth a little over $2 mil a year. We also need to surround Ponder with weapons of some sort. The top WR have all signed, leaving only Manningham and Laurent Robinson as the best options available, so we might as well sign somebody who can help out Ponder in some way or another. I'd still like to see us sign a WR, but if the market is as high for those guys as it has been so far, I'd be more than fine to see us pass on those guys and then focus on WR in round 2 or 3 in the draft.
I'm a bit optomistic that we can get Manningham for a decent price as the market doesn't seem to be very big for him.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings4ever View Post
Hopefully this turns out like the Schincoe signing. Everyone thought the Vikes were idiots for giving him 3.5 million a year, but he was well worth it.
Haha, yea a lot of people were upset about signing him.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Apparently the Vikings reallllllyyy wanted Carlson, so much so Spielman convinced him to completely skip his visit to the Chiefs facility... Also they have some more visits scheduled.

Tom Pelissero‏@TomPelissero
Spielman says there are "a couple" more visits lined up with #Vikings. Won't say names.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Carlson signing.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
VikesWookie
Rookie

would anyone favor bringing in Brown or Winston to replace Loadholt?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Obviously having Winston would be awesome, but I just think we have too many holes to spend money to improve on a guy who is not terrible. Would it be a considerable improvement? Absolutely. That said, we need CB, S, WR, DT, LB, G. I just think the money could be spent better elsewhere.