Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL can now officially suspend players for off-field conduct. My problem, as I have said, is that they're going back and suspending players for things they did before the policy was put into place. It strikes me as incredibly unfair. Are they going to suspend Laverneus Coles and Peter Warrick because they took markdowns on clothing during college? Is Brandon Merriweather going to walk into the NFL and face a suspension for things that happened off the field? Is Reggie Bush going to be suspended because his family may have taken favors from a booster or agent? The league office is going way too far here. You can't set a policy because of incidents, then suspend people for things they did before the policy was put in place.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans10 View Post
Thats does make sense but its still ********...this kills our team
Does your team even want him anymore?
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When a player has had as many incidences as Jones had, it's naive to think that he had nothing to do with any of them. And if he didnt have anything to do with any of them, then he's dumb for choosing to continue to hang out with those people.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How is it irrelevant, he hasnt been convicted of ANYTHING, until then he is innocent...why should he be suspened the whole year for no reason
Because the NFL is a private corporation, and any private corporation reserves the right to hire, fire, or suspend any employee for any reason. That's just how it is. Image is absolutely everything in today's world, and if a company feels like an employee has done something to tarnish their image, then they'll do what they feel is necessary. The NFL is no different.

I have no problem with the league implementing new conduct policies. It's their right to do it, and any player who signs an NFL contract knows that they have to abide by the by-laws that the league and their respective teams make. I just don't agree with the decision to go back and suspend Pacman and Henry, since the policy was put into affect after their alleged incidents.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
DeMonikk1
Rookie

DeMonikk1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

So in that sense, because it kills your team, it's ******** he gets suspended?? Read what Goodell says..I gained alot more respect for the commish after this..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2832015
DeMonikk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Titans10
Veteran

Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
The NFL can now officially suspend players for off-field conduct. My problem, as I have said, is that they're going back and suspending players for things they did before the policy was put into place. It strikes me as incredibly unfair. Are they going to suspend Laverneus Coles and Peter Warrick because they took markdowns on clothing during college? Is Brandon Merriweather going to walk into the NFL and face a suspension for things that happened off the field? Is Reggie Bush going to be suspended because his family may have taken favors from a booster or agent? The league office is going way too far here. You can't set a policy because of incidents, then suspend people for things they did before the policy was put in place.

Nic point, i've thought about that before...pac and henry fot ******************************************

All-hail Bulluck

Last edited by njx9 : 04-10-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Titans10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Players enter the NFL on the substance abuse program and their watch list all the time. That has been going on for a while. College players enter the NFL with one strike against them in a lot of cases.
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think it stinks for sure. I am actually on your side here. I think it is way too long a suspension and way too much for incidents that weren't punished before.

That being said, I figure that Pacman will probably violate the policy within the next 18 months anyway, so it will probably end up being a moot point.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents where he was interviewed by police.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
a-dub83
Rookie

a-dub83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.a-dub83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The NFL had to send a message and man I hope these players listen up. The past season involved too many player incidents, Jones, Henry, Porter, etc. Shoot, even my Colts have had a few guys in trouble, Rhodes, Darell Reid and Dexter Reid. Playing in the NFL is a privilege and the sooner players fully understand that, the better.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Pacman's issues are well-documented, and I believe that the punishment for these issues is apt. My problem is that the Commissioner just got approval for this power, and he is punishing players for incidents that happened beforehand. It seems out of line with the rule of law.

For instance, if they raised the legal age for driving to 18, all 17 year-olds wouldn't be required to give up their licenses. Likewise, if they raise the age for Social Security to 80, all 79 year-olds currently on the program don't lose their benefits.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Over/Under on Tank Johnson's suspension when he gets out of the slammer?
=(
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones is the reason the policy was put in place. So while he may have done things prior to its implementation, his suspension was necessary to send a message to the rest of the league that this nonesense will not be taken lightly anymore.

I blame Tagliabue for alot of this. Most of this mess happened under his watch. Goodell is doing something about it, whereas Tags just sat there adn swept it under the rug.

I commend Goodell for taking the bull by the horns and addressing the issue head on. This needed to be done.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

And yes, I understand completely that this isn't a law, it's a policy set by a private organization. That being said, I'm shocked that the players union gave Goodell the right to make this happen.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Jones is the reason the policy was put in place. So while he may have done things prior to its implementation, his suspension was necessary to send a message to the rest of the league that this nonesense will not be taken lightly anymore.

I blame Tagliabue for alot of this. Most of this mess happened under his watch. Goodell is doing something about it, whereas Tags just sat there adn swept it under the rug.

I commend Goodell for taking the bull by the horns and addressing the issue head on. This needed to be done.
As always, BBD makes an excellent point. I firmly believe that the conduct policy probably wouldn't have curbed some of these problem children. Pacman probably would have gotten in trouble again if he wasn't suspended now. He would have tested it. I think the suspensions handed out are fair, I just feel like it's improper to put together a policy, then immediately punish players for things that happened beforehand.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very deserved and long overdue. players need to think about what they do and where they do it. if those 2 can't figure it out, get em out

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I think someone already mentioned Tank Johnson's jail term and such. Where is Goodell for that one? If he's going to suspend Henry and Jones, I think Johnson needs at least 4 games. Unllike the others, he was actually convicted...

Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Does your team even want him anymore?
The Titans released a response to the suspension and said Pacman will have his own criteria to meet with them before he can return and that they fully agreed with his punishment and feel it is in the best interest of the league and team.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
R.I.P DWILL DNASH

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2832015

Quote:
Adam "Pacman" Jones of Tennessee was suspended Tuesday for the 2007 NFL season and Chris Henry of Cincinnati received an eight-game suspension -- both for numerous violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

SportsNation
Did the NFL get it right with the punishment for Pacman Jones and Chris Henry? Vote!

Pacman Jones incidents

The two players are suspended without pay, the NFL announced. Jones will lose $1,292,500 -- his 2007 base salary -- as a result of the suspension. Henry will lose $204,705.88 in salary if the Bengals' bye week comes after Week 8. He will lose $230,294.12 if the Bengals' bye week falls in the first eight weeks of the season, meaning he will miss nine weeks of pay.

After they serve their suspensions, each player must apply for reinstatement.

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents where he was interviewed by police. The most recent took place in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star weekend. Las Vegas police have recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club that paralyzed one man.

Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, resulting in two benchings by coach Marvin Lewis and a two-game league suspension. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months.

Both the Titans and the Bengals said they supported the suspensions.

"While we regret the circumstances that called for it, it's good for both Chris and the Bengals to have the matter resolved," said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. "Our team will move forward, and now it is up to Chris to acquire a more mature understanding of his responsibilities as a player for the Bengals and a representative of the NFL."

The Titans released the following statement:

"We appreciate the Commissioner's thoughtful decision today and the discipline plan imposed on Adam Jones," the Titans said. "We respect this decision and are confident this is in the best interest of the league and the team. We are hopeful that it will achieve the goals of disciplining the player and eventually enabling him to return to the field of play. Our goals for Jones are consistent with the league's in that regard."

Jones' suspension carries the following conditions:

He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

He must obey the restrictions that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.

He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or workouts during his suspension. Starting June 1, he must visit the team facility once per week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other activities.

In conjunction with the Titans, Jones must develop a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the NFL for approval.

Henry will be reinstated after the Bengals' eighth regular-season game if he meets the following conditions:

He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

He is allowed to be at the Bengals' facilities during the rest of the offseason and he must meet weekly with the team's player development director.

If he fully complies with all conditions, he may participate in the training camp and Bengals preseason games.

During the 2007 season, he must meet weekly with the team's player development director, but he may not attend or participate in practice.

He must fully comply with all conditions imposed on him by any court, including requirements of community service.

If Jones and Henry do not fully comply with these conditions, they could be permanently banished from the NFL.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."
Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If the NFL is going to suspend these guys, I think it's fair to all of the teams involved and the players involved that these names are released immediately. The draft is very near, and these GM's and coaches need to be made aware, so they can plan accordingly.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good. Give Pacman a lifetime ban if he does anything again.

Its just too bad most of the thugs are in the AFC. NFC East stays out of trouble for the most part, so this isnt gonna have much effect on the G-Men.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
good. Give Pacman a lifetime ban if he does anything again.

Its just too bad most of the thugs are in the AFC. NFC East stays out of trouble for the most part, so this isnt gonna have much effect on the G-Men.
How is it possible that you miss the point 100% of the time?

Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
How is it possible that you miss the point 100% of the time?
I just laughed out loud at my desk after reading his post. It was so bad it was funny.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goodell is laying down the hammer. Showing he isnt playing around and unacceptable vehavior wont be tolerated.

oh, and GRF it does affect the Giants, because now Ten will be looking for a CB, as are the g-men, and they have the pick ahead of us-- but that was completly irrevelant
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Goodell is laying down the hammer. Showing he isnt playing around and unacceptable vehavior wont be tolerated.

oh, and GRF it does affect the Giants, because now Ten will be looking for a CB, as are the g-men, and they have the pick ahead of us-- but that was completly irrevelant
Even rookie members can make great points here and absolutely own GRF. You'd think he'd get the message...