Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
What are you smoking? If we lose out on both Smith and Manning, that's a prime opportunity to see what you have in CK and Tolz. You still have the draft get another QB if Harbaalke so choses. We would probably go after Josh Johnson, since he and Jimbaugh have history and we would probably sign a vet and let JJ, CK, Tolz, and the vet duke it out for the job all off-season and training camp. But it wouldnt be a time to panic. Its one position you should never worry about from a Jimbaugh coached team and thats the QB position. His track record speaks for itself. Look what he did with Alex and such a short period of time. I would be very confident in him with a entire off-season with a guy like Johnson, who has some NFL game experience. I think he could give you solid play, especially because he's thrived in Jimbaugh's system before. But to blow up a VERY talented team due to ONE position is just a horrendous suggestion.
I consider myself one of the more levelheaded niner fans. I try to see the whole picture, it's why many of us can't stand many of the other forums...the fans are just too reactionary and unintelligent most of the time. However, I think it WOULD be a time to panic if we didn't land Alex or Peyton. This D, Willis, Justin Smith, who knows how much longer they are going to be playing at this level. Guys like Kap are projects, it will likely take 2-3 years for him to be a good QB...we can't afford that. The time is right now, it's not time for throwaway seasons that will inevitably fall short of the main goal. Not to mention, the other teams in the division are getting BETTER AND BETTER.

This would be an epic, epic screw up. What a letdown going into next season.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
By the time we get a good QB to replace Smith/Manning, the rest of the team will be old and thus, it would be rebuilding time.

Baalke/Harbaugh are taking a huge chance here and if the screw it up, I wouldnt be surprised one bit.
Oh ye of little faith, maybe Kaep isn't so ******* worthless with an offseason as QB1 and an entire year in the offense to prepare him. I mean, really, it wasnt as though Alex Smith was a ******* bad ass throwing for 300+ a game and carrying the offense.

Calm the **** down, guys.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Citing an NFL source, Klis is reporting that the Dolphins are working on a deal that would give Smith $8 million a year, approximately what the 49ers offered Smith in a three-year deal. Smith had intended to visit the Seattle Seahawks later this week, but that trip was scuttled when the Seahawks agreed to a three-year deal with Matt Flynn. The Dolphins also were interested in Flynn, but have now set their sights on Smith.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...lex-smith.html

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
tmljeh19
Rookie

tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think things can get ugly real fast is Smith goes to Miami and Peyton chooses DEN or TEN. Your team is built to win now and taking a huge step backwards in the QB position is not the answer. If you do get Peyton you are no doubt SB favs in my book but if not its going to be a real bad situation.
tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
I think things can get ugly real fast is Smith goes to Miami and Peyton chooses DEN or TEN. Your team is built to win now and taking a huge step backwards in the QB position is not the answer. If you do get Peyton you are no doubt SB favs in my book but if not its going to be a real bad situation.
I agree. I feel like those that think otherwise right now are quite simply being very naive. This was not how it was supposed to go down.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
I consider myself one of the more levelheaded niner fans. I try to see the whole picture, it's why many of us can't stand many of the other forums...the fans are just too reactionary and unintelligent most of the time. However, I think it WOULD be a time to panic if we didn't land Alex or Peyton. This D, Willis, Justin Smith, who knows how much longer they are going to be playing at this level. Guys like Kap are projects, it will likely take 2-3 years for him to be a good QB...we can't afford that. The time is right now, it's not time for throwaway seasons that will inevitably fall short of the main goal. Not to mention, the other teams in the division are getting BETTER AND BETTER.

This would be an epic, epic screw up. What a letdown going into next season.
I dont see it like that. Call me crazy, but I think Harbaalke is smart enough to have a plan in place in case they land neither guy. I dont believe they thought Alex was just going to sit around while they persued Manning. They undoubtly knew that if neither came they, a) Had enough faith in either CK, Tolz, or both that they could win with either or b) Have another plan in place to land a vet who they feel can get the job done. As upset as I am about them going after Manning, if they were going to hold ground over 5 million dollars with Alex tells me that they are already are sold on CK and didnt think the extra money was worth paying Alex. Now of course, they would love for CK to sit and learn for another year, but they feel confident in his abilities if pressed into action. I mean he was the #2 QB his entire rookie season so its not like they havent shown confidence in him before. And the way our O-Line performed for much of the year, its almost remarkable that Alex didnt miss any time and CK didnt see some significant snaps.

But like I said, I still wouldnt necessarily panic. Maybe a little worried but not much. I have the upmost faith in Jimbaugh to get the best out of the position. Maybe because i was really high on CK and Tolz last year coming out of last year's draft. But I wouldnt he too bummed at the prospect of letting either of those two lead this team. Seeing what guys like Newton, Yates, and Dalton did as rookie makes me believe it isnt as far-fetched as most may think to get young guys to play well there.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A series of almost comically unfortunate coincidences leads to disaster, it's turning out like a Shakesperean tragedy. You know...Othello Smith thinks Desdemona Harbaugh's messing around behind his back with Cassio Manning all because of Iago Condon manipulating things behind the scenes. Everyone ends up dead.

That sort of thing.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's not forget we were 29TH!!! in passing offense last year....

I don't see much of a drop off even if it's Johnson/Kaepernick
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post

Still, Alex did help us win games by not turning the ball over and making some clutch throws in crucial situations. We could have done a lot worse. Most young quarterbacks don't play well. There have been countless quarterbacks that get that chance and are never heard from again. Few rise to the occasion and play beyond their years. Very, very few.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
tmljeh19
Rookie

tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tmljeh19 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
I agree. I feel like those that think otherwise right now are quite simply being very naive. This was not how it was supposed to go down.
I'm pulling for you guys because I think you have a real good football team but I think Peyton is a gamble that you guys shouldn't take. Hell Smith who most cast off took you to the NFCCG. Give the kid some more weapons or add some players on D and watch what he can do with another year. When I heard you guys were the mystery team my first thought was that this wasn't gonna end well.
tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thank you, that's my point also. If Jimbaugh can get decent QB play out of Alex with only a month, imagine what he could do with either Johnson, CK, Tolz with a full off-season.

My concern isnt what we can expect from the QB position, my concern is did we go after the right QB? We had a good thing going with Alex. He should have improved by leaps and bounds next year. By going after Manning, you change the dynamics of the team. You alter the chemistry of guys who had failed so much, so often, and now had a swagger about them, that now is there time to shine. Alex's resurgence was a major part of that. Now your trying bring in a guy who's has small window to get something done. Itd more of a business trip for Peyton. Your putting everyone of your players on notice that we're putting all our eggs in the Manning basket when before it was the team, the team, the team. Your taking a HUGE risk going after a guy who's played in one scheme, one pace his entire career. Now your asking him to try to fit into what your trying to do. Alot of Manning's good play comes from familiarity and knowing his offense, inside and out. Can he replicate that confidence in Jimbaugh's offense? Can 36 year old Manning still be a upper echelon QB? Just seems like big gamble and a huge shake-up to a tesm that seemed to be headed in the right direction and had alot of momentum with Alex at the helm.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:

weren't we last in passing attempts too? That doesn't really mean much.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Wow Alex.....who's your daddy?

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/...an-to-manning/
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
This made me smile.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Should we land Manning it wont be too much of an issue (maybe off to slow start offensively, need defense to keep us in it) assuming he can stay healthy but if we dont sign him then ........

Kap, Tolz or who ever else we may sign is again going to be year 1 into a program. Harbough & the coaches have said all along that they expected significant improvement out of Alex & the offense in year 2 & beyond. We'll again be where we were this year - reliant on defense & special teams to keep us in it.

Sorry guys but I'm just not buying into it. This play for Manning is all or nothing & may just come back to bite Harbough & Jed on the ass. This whole process has been classless & unbecoming of our team

Hopefully it ends up well cause if it doesnt then we are ******!!

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I definitely know who the classy one is all of this is. Alex I applaud you if its true!!

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well that certainly throws a monkey-wrench into Freakout 2012 that we had going on today.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Is anyone else just sick to death of waiting for Peyton to pick? Make up your goddamned mind!

I've been done since the rumors of the Broncos offering part ownership if he signs started cropping up.

Just pick so we can move on.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

You folks have to check this out. Apparently the Titans have a better offense than the 49ers and it's more logical for Manning to sign with them for that reason. Even though the team didn't make the playoffs. This board cracks me up:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50981&page=166

Quote:
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
nope, Alex is gonna save us from that.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In Alex's defense though, you cant say that Harbaugh let him air it out or pass more. Look at the Saints game. He had to pass since it was a shootout and he won. Maybe, just maybe, if Harbaugh was to let Smith pass more and take the chains off of him, he would actually become a damn good QB and win games instead of depending on his running game, defense and special teams.

Either way, I'll be shocked if Smith decides to wait until Manning makes up his mind. Thats just stupid of him unless he's playing the Niners. Manning goes to DEN/TEN and Smith still leaves. Wouldnt be surprised if he's just saying what everyone wants to hear.

And how anyone can be confident going into 2012 with Josh Johnson, Kaepernick or Tolzien is beyond me because I just dont see it.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Freakout 2012 ... it's back.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea I wish Manning would just sign with us and get R done already. I mean seriously we have the best defense compared to Titans.Plus with the addition of Randy Moss and Manningham . We've got to have the better team all around period ..I just don't see why all the hold up is dam you Peyton decide already.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Yea I wish Manning would just sign with us and get R done already. I mean seriously we have the best defense compared to Titans.Plus with the addition of Randy Moss and Manningham . We've got to have the better team all around period ..I just don't see why all the hold up is dam you Peyton decide already.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote