Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mark Barron - Sell Me

Im not a huge Barron fan. But I am aware he is a very likely pick for the Bengals.
Can someone who knows more about him sell me on him?
All I got is that Zimmer helped turn Roy Williams into a Pro Bowl SS.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a lot to like about Barron but I'm not sure I like him that high, even though he is far and away the best safety in the class

Elite measureables
Well coached
Good work ethic
Can lay the wood
Versatile-could be both SS and FS-ideally SS though
Good straight line speed
Played very well in the SEC etc etc

However I think he can be too aggressive at times and doesn't really track the ball well in the air. Will be just ok in man coverage against some TEs. Won't be a guy who can cover the slot or big mismatches like Gronk or Graham at TE.

I think his value is probably around the end of the first round so 21 is a slight reach but not major

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, in logic world (where the Bengals are run by a competent GM) they would trade back a bit for Barron?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
So, in logic world (where the Bengals are run by a competent GM) they would trade back a bit for Barron?
Not in this year's draft where hes going to be the first at his position to come off the board and a lot of teams would like to be in the market for a safety. 21 is fine for Barron if there is no one else available that your team likes.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
Not in this year's draft where hes going to be the first at his position to come off the board and a lot of teams would like to be in the market for a safety. 21 is fine for Barron if there is no one else available that your team likes.
Yeah I agree with this.

In an ideal world the Bengals would trade back and pick him up around 28 or so, but safety is a really important position nowadays with the proliferation of TEs teams are going to start having to reach.

Normally you're hoping for an elite playmaker at safety in the first. Barron probably isn't going to be that but he will become a better than average safety in the league.

I prefer the value of a guy like Harrison Smith or George Iloka in the second over Barron but Barron is undoubtedly the better prospect and the Bengals have some flexibility with their two first round picks

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Yeah I agree with this.

In an ideal world the Bengals would trade back and pick him up around 28 or so, but safety is a really important position nowadays with the proliferation of TEs teams are going to start having to reach.

Normally you're hoping for an elite playmaker at safety in the first. Barron probably isn't going to be that but he will become a better than average safety in the league.

I prefer the value of a guy like Harrison Smith or George Iloka in the second over Barron but Barron is undoubtedly the better prospect and the Bengals have some flexibility with their two first round picks
I think Barron is a SS while Smith and Iloka are FS's. Barron's strength is his physical presence while Smith at least, is probably better in coverage.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think Barron is a SS while Smith and Iloka are FS's. Barron's strength is his physical presence while Smith at least, is probably better in coverage.
I don't necessarily disagree though I think nowadays it's harder to clarify someone as specifically a FS or specifically a SS. Versatility is something that is a requirement nowadays for safeties.

All 3 of those guys mentioned can play the deep middle if required and all 3 can come up into the box. Barron is probably the best of the 3 in the box, followed by Smith IMO.

If you are looking for a true FS to play centerfield for your defense then Markelle Martin is probably your guy in the second/third round.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree though I think nowadays it's harder to clarify someone as specifically a FS or specifically a SS. Versatility is something that is a requirement nowadays for safeties.

Quote:
It all depends on the defensive scheme, some teams still like that hard hitting SS who can play extensively in the box.
All 3 of those guys mentioned can play the deep middle if required and all 3 can come up into the box. Barron is probably the best of the 3 in the box, followed by Smith IMO.

Quote:
I think Barron is clearly the best in the box, Smith is far more comfortable in coverage as a FS.
If you are looking for a true FS to play centerfield for your defense then Markelle Martin is probably your guy in the second/third round.
I'd take Smith myself, after Barron and Smith, I think there is a huge dropoff in talent at the Safety position and I wouldn't trust Martin to be a starter.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Martin is an in the box safety as well who can tackle in the open field. Harrison Smith is the top free safety in this class. I see Martin, Barron, Iloka as strong safeties who excel in run support more so than turn & run or read/react in the deep third.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

This thread has a lot of useful info.
Just none of it comforts me when we pick Barron at 17
:/

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Barron is in play to picked in the 20's, the Bengals at 21 makes the most sense. Barron isn't the elite type prospect some try to make him, very solid 1st round pick though if you need help in the secondary.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best safety in the draft, that's all you need to know.

If you want him take him at 21 and be happy.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My concern with Barron is that while he is not terrible in coverage, he is definitely more of a thumper than a cover safety, and we need help in coverage.

Barron would be an amazing fit on the Bengals, but even if we draft him we'll still have secondary concerns (yes, that's how bad our secondary is). I'm not positive Hall will be 100% when he returns but even if he is, we still need someone who is capable of covering a TE / bigger receivers.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
My concern with Barron is that while he is not terrible in coverage, he is definitely more of a thumper than a cover safety, and we need help in coverage.

Barron would be an amazing fit on the Bengals, but even if we draft him we'll still have secondary concerns (yes, that's how bad our secondary is). I'm not positive Hall will be 100% when he returns but even if he is, we still need someone who is capable of covering a TE / bigger receivers.
A CB should be added through the draft too, I think Glenn and Barron in the 1st, Martin in the 2nd and a CB like Brandon Boykin or Leonard Johnson in the 3rd would make a ton of sense.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 PM    (permalink
I_C_DeadPeople
Rookie

I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we will go safety in 1. We committed significant dollars to Nelson and one of Mays, Sands or Myles will be looked on to step up and complete/replace Crocker. Had we lost Nelson, I am thinking Baron would be in the picture. Over the last 2 drafts though, the Bengals have gone BPA (and quite successfully) so if their board has Barron rated highly and they stick to the board we may grab him.
I_C_DeadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
This thread has a lot of useful info.
Just none of it comforts me when we pick Barron at 17
:/
Noting a pick before.

The Courtney Upshaw of the DB grouping this year. 30+ starts a piece for teams to see says this is a very good talent ready to go in the league from day one, but lack of workout numbers and perception of ceiling/upside cause fans to be leery. The worry is legit for both but the talent is standout and polished as well. One of the best bets in this draft to be a long term starter with Pro Bowl upside (ignoring that the Pro Bowl is a joke). Can play either S position like a proper safety should. The distinction only exists because most safeties suck.