Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't Spielman make it known who he's drafting every single year? I can always call their pick before it's made, because there are always reports that they want the guy ahead of time. Called Ponder, Chris Cook and Percy Harvin.

Point being, if he says he likes Claiborne better, he probably likes Claiborne better. Unless he suddenly figured out what a smokescreen is.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
Doesn't Spielman make it known who he's drafting every single year? I can always call their pick before it's made, because there are always reports that they want the guy ahead of time. Called Ponder, Chris Cook and Percy Harvin.

Point being, if he says he likes Claiborne better, he probably likes Claiborne better. Unless he suddenly figured out what a smokescreen is.
Doesn't happen this early though.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is also the first draft that Spielman has complete control over. When Childress was head coach, he had the final say on all roster moves(which was absolutely ******** BTW), and last year he and Frazier were supposed to work together in an equal partnership(which was just about as ******** as having Childress have the final say).

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Sven
Rookie

Sven hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
honestly, does it matter? they're in prime position to grab a premiere CB or LT, both of which are MASSIVE needs. they'll pick whoever they think is the better player.
You can get CBs through free agency whereas good or better LTs rarely see the light of day when it comes to free agency.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This better be a damn smoke screen

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
This better be a damn smoke screen
This is the same team that decided the best way to fill several holes on the roster was to pay a backup Tight End, who didn't play a single snap in 2011, 25 million dollars.

good luck
Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I research this, the more it seems like Spielman is actually against the idea of spending a premium pick on a LT. Maybe it's only because I agree with that line of thinking, but I don't think this is a smokescreen. You don't go on about how LT isn't that important and then spend the #3 pick on a LT. This is more like Spielman trying to keep fans from calling for his head when he passes on Kalil for Claiborne or Blackmon.

On the other hand.....their LT is Charlie Johnson. They need to fix that.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't the Vikings still run the Tampa 2?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:31 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have Claiborne as the 4th best player in the draft behind the two Quarterbacks and Trent Richardson. I don't see the "all pro" player in Kalil that some do and actually think Reiff will be the better pro.

If I were the vikes, I'd take Claiborne.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
Don't the Vikings still run the Tampa 2?
Yeah. I have no idea what's going on with their DC situation though....
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is the same team that decided the best way to fill several holes on the roster was to pay a backup Tight End, who didn't play a single snap in 2011, 25 million dollars.

good luck
The #2 TE plays over 60% of the snaps in the Vikings offense, so that wouldn't be considered a backup. Do I think $25m is too much for Carlson? Absolutely, but he is going to be seeing the field a lot, as much as some teams #1 TE.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see what the big deal about Carlson's deal is. Its not 25 million guaranteed, its 11 million. They have a young QB and bringing in another good TE as a target will help Ponder IMO. It's not like Carlson is some terrible player, he was actually very good - he had an injury last year and checked out medically before the signing.

The Claiborne /Kalil thing has to be smoke screen. Spielman will build the offense around Ponder. Say what you want about the value of a LT in today's NFL but someone needs to protect the QB. The Vikings o-line is terrible. Draft Kalil in the first and pick up a CB in the second.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
A left tackle is only worth whatever the quarterback he's protecting is worth. A left tackle's value is only enhanced because of what his job function is... to protect the blindside of the quarterback.

The worth of a QB isn't dependent upon other positions.

An elite left tackle is completely worthless unless he's protecting an elite quarterback.

People say that the left tackle position is "#2" behind the QB position in terms of how it determines the quality of the football team. Problem is, they don't take into account the size of the gap between "#1" and "#2" on the priority list. It's the Grand Canyon between the two.

An elite left tackle without an elite quarterback is nothing but a coach killer. You don't have to invest that heavily to find a left tackle you can win with.

Quarterback is a different story.
By this logic, every team that doesn't have an elite QB should just quit trying. Every position is worthless without an elite QB right?

Or, take any elite player you can, so they are in place if you are able to pick up that elite signal caller.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
how many of those teams had shut down #1 CB? the Packers maybe? Saints had a few good ones, none as good as Claiborne. the logic cuts both ways. in some sense the only position that matters is QB.
Uh? The Saints didn't really have much going on at CB:

However:

2007 Pats - Asanta Samuel (Not a SB winner but it's worth noting during a perfect regular season)

2004 Pats - Asante Samuel and Ty Law

2003 Pats - Asante Samuel and Ty Law

2002 Bucs - Ronde Barber

Also, the two Steelers SB teams and the Packers SB team had excellent safety help.

This is a passing league and DBs of any position are quite valuable.

I will also point out that the Pats, arguably the best dynasty of this era, won all 3 of their SBs with excellent CBs.

I won't try to argue that the CB position is a predictor of SBs but I just figured I would throw in my two cents about those teams not having #1 type corners.

However, I WILL say that defense has been a great predictor of SBs and definitely more so than LTs.

All but the Colts and Saints and the most recent Giants win, heavily relied on their defense and even the Colts Giants and Saints D had to step up in the playoffs to make it possible.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's 100% smokescreen. Speilman never lets info like this out, he's just trying to get the Bucs to think they have to trade up from 5 I'm sure.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

good luck
Actually, Carlson's deal is really only a 2 year $11 million deal that based on performance could become a 5 year $25 million deal. Link

And as Taber pointed out, the Vikings averaged 1.62 TE per snap last year, meaning that Carlson won't be a backup in any sense of the word, especially given that Rudolph is the only other worthwhile TE on the roster and is only in his 2nd year and will still be learning.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would LOVE to have Claiborne, I think he's gonna be a stud, but drafting Kalil fixes two positions, since you can then kick Charlie Johnson into left guard. We could completely solidify the left side of our line there, and I don't think that it is worth passing on that for a stud corner. We need to make the smart pick here and protect Ponder. He looked good when he had time last year, which was not very often. The dude got hammered every game. Gotta give the quarterback confidence and time to develop, and Claiborne does not do that.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
Uh? The Saints didn't really have much going on at CB:
And, Jabari Greer continues to be one of the most underrated CBs in the league.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Vikings really wanted Patrick Robinson over Chris Cook in the draft and were really shocked when the Saints selected him with the last pick of the first round.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
pappanorm
Rookie

pappanorm hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The teams picking #3, #4, #5, and #6 are all wearing their poker faces right now.

Those picks stand to be: Kalil, Claiborne, Richardson and Blackmon.

If any team wants Kalil or Claiborne it looks like they have to trade up with the Vikings. They are probably safe waiting on the other two players for at least one pick.

I don't see any smokescreen.
pappanorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
By this logic, every team that doesn't have an elite QB should just quit trying. Every position is worthless without an elite QB right?.

Yes and yes.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes and yes.
Joe Flacco and Alex Smith were the starting quarterbacks in the conference championships.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Joe Flacco and Alex Smith were the starting quarterbacks in the conference championships.

Who were the two starting left tackles in the superbowl?

BTW... cool story bro.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who were the two starting left tackles in the superbowl?

BTW... cool story bro.
straw man.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BTW... cool story bro.
Don't be like Ness.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I'm pretty sure the Vikings really wanted Patrick Robinson over Chris Cook in the draft and were really shocked when the Saints selected him with the last pick of the first round.
Yep, Chirs Cook was actually their 3rd choice that year. They were reportedly on the Phone with Kyle Wilson when the Jets selected him. Then they thought they could trade down a few spots and would still get Patrick Robinson.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote