Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the best mlb?
Ray Lewis 23 13.14%
Brian Urlacher 104 59.43%
Zach Thomas 9 5.14%
Al Wilson 3 1.71%
Mike Peterson 3 1.71%
Jonathan Vilma 14 8.00%
London Fletcher 2 1.14%
Demeco Ryans 14 8.00%
Lofa Tatupu 3 1.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Well there is a comparison, the biggest difference of course being that Lewis was part of that great 2000 team. Urlacher is still in his prime though.

For those that claim Lewis is the best ever....eh....an argument could be made I suppose, but I tend to think that has more to do with a lack of exposure to linebackers in the past.
Im not gonna flat out say Ray Lewis is the best LB history, I cant really say that not having seen other LBs play, but he is easily the best defensive player of his era and without a question one of the top 5 LBs ever to play the game. The only LBs I can see being put ahead of him would be Butkus, Singletary and Lawrence Taylor.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:41 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
Well, what we do have to go on is how Demeco played this season. So far, Vilma has not had a season to match Demeco's. The Texans have a bad defense because Demeco and Dunta are pretty much our only playmakers. Mario was a bit, but not a force all season. Demeco was on the field a lot, but he didn't wear down, he was almost always first to the ball carrier. Since the rest of the defense was so awful, he didn't have the benefit of getting to blitz a qb who was frustrated and behind in points, we just got run against a ton. So he missed out on certain opportunities as well being on a bad defense and being on the field as much as he was. Also Demeco had to sort through a ton of trash because our DT's were pretty awful all year. I do really like Vilma, and he and Demeco are similar players, "undersized LB's" with great instincts, but I think Demeco is superior.
Vilma's rookie season was just as good, if not better than Demeco's. He didnt rack up as many tackles, but he also didnt start right off the bat and he made more big plays and played a big role for the Jets in a surprisingly good season. Also if u compare Vilmas 05 season to Demecos 04 season, Vilma is better in virtually every stat category. Vilmas stats sucked in 06 but thats because he got put in a scheme he doesnt fit into.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
People get carried away with Urlachers size and athleticism, but I like MLBs like Lewis, Vilma or Ryans who just fly to the ball laterally and carry the defense. I don't know if Urlacher would have the same success if he was playing for the Texans like Ryans did, but he's a very solid guy in the Bears system where his responsibilities are not as big. Al Wilson used to be one of the best, but he's beginning to decline. Zach Thomas is just a fiery competitor and I absolutely love that. Guys like that are invaluable to a defense. Urlacher definitely is in the mix for the best, but I don't think it should be a runaway competition. He's not a playmaker like Lewis and he isn't always around the ball like Ryans or Vilma.
Brian was very good even without a very good D when he played under Blache. Say what you want about him but go back and watch that Arizona game where he totally took over the game, had 20 some tackles, and by himself stopped the Arizona running attack.

Urlacher is probably one of the, if not the best coverage MIKE in the game right now, he's a surefire tackler, he's a big hitter, he's one of the best tacklers in the game, he's got incredible range, and he does some things that not many other MIKE's can do. I mean you look at his interceptiion against San Francisco where he tipped the ball to himself with an OL draped on him and your mouth just opens.

That being said, I do think Lewis in his prime was one of the best defensive players I've ever seen, and yes he was better than Urlcacher is now. But Brian is a great player, and he is the best MIKE in the game bar none. The guy does some things that not many other players can do on the field and he's incredibly fundamentally sound. He's not the flashy player that Lewis was but keep in mind that this same SB Chicago Bear team went 0-7 without him two years ago when he was injured, and 4-5 with him.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Urlacher as of now on that list, and in the NFL. Yes, he has his flaws, but he does a lot of things at an extremely high level to compensate.

Ray Lewis has declined a bit (I don't think he's the best ILB talent on the team), as has Zach Thomas and Al Wilson. London Fletcher as well, although it's been a few years since I really thought of London as a top MLB. Mike Peterson was more of a solid-good backer, than someone worthy of a top backer discussion, and Tatupu/Ryans are still a bit green for me to be considered, but could be there in time. Vilma needs to better adjust to the 3-4. DJ Williams, if he moves inside, could draw consideration by the end of next year.

Any top current MLB/ILB discussion should involve Antonio Pierce and Bart Scott. Depending on the size of the list, Trotter, Nick Barnett, and Wil Witherspoon could be in the mix as well. Probably a couple names I'm missing, but that covers most of it.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
It's Urlacher as of now on that list, and in the NFL. Yes, he has his flaws, but he does a lot of things at an extremely high level to compensate.

Ray Lewis has declined a bit (I don't think he's the best ILB talent on the team), as has Zach Thomas and Al Wilson. London Fletcher as well, although it's been a few years since I really thought of London as a top MLB. Mike Peterson was more of a solid-good backer, than someone worthy of a top backer discussion, and Tatupu/Ryans are still a bit green for me to be considered, but could be there in time. Vilma needs to better adjust to the 3-4. DJ Williams, if he moves inside, could draw consideration by the end of next year.

Any top current MLB/ILB discussion should involve Antonio Pierce and Bart Scott. Depending on the size of the list, Trotter, Nick Barnett, and Wil Witherspoon could be in the mix as well. Probably a couple names I'm missing, but that covers most of it.

I like Pierce alot. Im looking forward to seeing what he does this year. He struggled a little in Tim Lewis's pseudo Cover 2 scheme this year, but thats a given considering the type of player he is. Under Spag's, he should reemerge as a legitimate candidate in this argument. He's probably the smartest MIKE in the NFL, and he's a great run stopper.

But right here right now, I cede that he doesn't belong in this conversation. Because he didn't do that great this year. He has to prove it on the field. I think he'll have a better 07/08 season because of the scheme change, but I can't say anything until he goes out there and does it.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thing is, I don't think MLB/ILB's are all that deep first of all. Second, I felt that he didn't really have that much support, although yes, I'd agree he could've had a better year in many respects. But the last thing being that he has enough of a track record such that, his name, combined with the first two thoughts, imo, deserves to be tossed into the ring, moreso than Mike Peterson, London Fletcher, and a couple others.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Vilma, he's just currently out of position as an ILB right now.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Im not gonna flat out say Ray Lewis is the best LB history, I cant really say that not having seen other LBs play, but he is easily the best defensive player of his era and without a question one of the top 5 LBs ever to play the game. The only LBs I can see being put ahead of him would be Butkus, Singletary and Lawrence Taylor.
I think it's hard to put ANY defensive player ahead of Lawrence Taylor. He is a player that essentially changed the way the game is played.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

ive actually never been that impressed by urlacher-not even cuz im a packers fan-i think thomas is the best but morrison and ryans are on their way up
Old 04-08-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In 3 years Patrick Willis will be in the mix.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ryans season last year was a playmaking and highly impressive year, and even i would agree that it was better than all of Vilma's. but one season isn't a trend, lets see if it continues before he gets title of best MLB

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Brian Urlacher. And while it is by a fair margin, it's not "by a landslide and this question shouldn't even be asked" kind of margin some people are making it to be.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
It's Brian Urlacher. And while it is by a fair margin, it's not "by a landslide and this question shouldn't even be asked" kind of margin some people are making it to be.
It's not close, it's not even close to being close. Sure it might not be as wide as some people make it seem, it's still not close.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only people who insist that it "isn't close to being close" are Bears fans. You have a few knowledgeable and unbiased posters who have Urlacher as the second best linebacker in this thread, yet Bears fans insist that Urlacher is by far the best and no one is even worth mentioning in the same paragraph. Get over yourselves. You have the best MLB in the league, be happy with that.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I think it's hard to put ANY defensive player ahead of Lawrence Taylor. He is a player that essentially changed the way the game is played.
I agree LT is the best LB ever and maybe the best defender ever. Ray Lewis would be somewhere from 2nd to 4th on my list of all time LBs.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
The only people who insist that it "isn't close to being close" are Bears fans. You have a few knowledgeable and unbiased posters who have Urlacher as the second best linebacker in this thread, yet Bears fans insist that Urlacher is by far the best and no one is even worth mentioning in the same paragraph. Get over yourselves. You have the best MLB in the league, be happy with that.
I agree. You can make arguments for a number of guys including Donnie Edwards and Ray Lewis, both who have had more decorated careers than Urlacher.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I find it hard to put any player period in front of LT.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Big Mike
Veteran

Big Mike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

How is Trotter not on the list. Anyways I'm gonna pick Vilma.

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post

I don't see how you could say that Mike Peterson isn't someone worthy in a top backer discussion, but Nick Barnett and Will Witherspoon are.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I don't see how you could say that Mike Peterson isn't someone worthy in a top backer discussion, but Nick Barnett and Will Witherspoon are.
ROFL Peterson iz a WILL he sux at MIKE lol u iz stoopid. Witherspoon=tru MIKE never WILL & Barnett=Packer nuff said

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm tell you, the Bears going to the Super Bowl was the worst thing that could happen to this forum! :D

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
I'm tell you, the Bears going to the Super Bowl was the worst thing that could happen to this forum! :D
Good thing they got smoked ;) lol
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
How is Trotter not on the list. Anyways I'm gonna pick Vilma.
After last season, I'm not surprised he's not on the list. Given what he has done over his career, he should be on the list, but anyone who thinks he is the best MLB in the NFL right now I would strongly disagree with. He's pretty much the opposite of Donnie Edwards, he's great against the run(although not this season), but has little to no coverage ability. He's good in our scheme but there are plenty of LB's who can do both who are more valuable. Trotter is a thumper, he's not able to make plays sideline to sideline, but he anchors the middle. He may be the best in that category, but he shouldn't be mentioned as the best, at this point he's maybe top 10 if he plays better this season.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Packman1957
Veteran

Packman1957 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the answer to this is clearly Urlacher, although I wish people would give Zach Thomas a little more respect.