Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Landry signing is pretty good, adds a lot of athleticism to the safety position. Not a ton of risk since it's a one year deal, and they had cap room to make the move. Wonder what happens with the other 6 million or so.

As for the FS spot, couple of interesting options but no slam dunk. I'd be alright with signing Atogwe/Leonhard, drafting a guy, and having a competition for the spot. Shouldn't be too expensive, and both guys are injury prone so an insurance policy is necessary even if it's a round 4, 5 type.

Another guy who gets lost in things a bit is Tracy Wilson. Believe he entered the supplemental draft and didn't get picked, so he probably would have been a mid-late round guy this year. Was on the active roster for the last 5 games of the season, knows the defense, almost like a draft pick this year. After a year learning the defense, if nobody solid is brought in I'd guess he'll get a chance to compete for some play time.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We will know whether or not the Landry signing is solid until the end of this season.

Pro Football Week had Jets about 13m and some changes under the cap. After Landry signing and draft projection (roughly 4.5m). Jets will have only solid 3m left. That means Jets wont cut Bart Scott. Give or Take, of course.

3m is good for covering emergency or last minute trade during the season so I don't see Jets will sign any FA until they actually trade Scott away. Signing few June 1st victims is another possibility.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Atogwe would be a nice signing but i think its unlikely. Id be more then happy to bring back Leonard and draft a safty to possible get some playing time. Im more worried about wr and lb now that we at least have landry who i have high hopes for
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
We will know whether or not the Landry signing is solid until the end of this season.

Pro Football Week had Jets about 13m and some changes under the cap. After Landry signing and draft projection (roughly 4.5m). Jets will have only solid 3m left. That means Jets wont cut Bart Scott. Give or Take, of course.

3m is good for covering emergency or last minute trade during the season so I don't see Jets will sign any FA until they actually trade Scott away. Signing few June 1st victims is another possibility.
Fair on knowing how the Landry signing is at the end of the season. Since it's fun to speculate now anyway though, at least it's not a long-term deal or a huge money contract. Floor is probably just Eric Smith getting playing time again.

Not sure if you've ever visited NYJetsCap, but the guy there does a pretty good job breaking down cap numbers. He had about 12m in room after the Stanton/Schilens/O'Dowd signings. Take away 4m for Landry that puts it at 8m, and then rookies should only be roughly 2m because you have to take into account that they're replacing minimum salary players. Total salary for them is around 4.5m like you said, but they'll only increase the cap by about 2m. So I think there's actually around 6m in cap room, which does leave a little wiggle room.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I am aware of nyjetscap.

Joe Montana= Mark Sanchez.
Steve Young= Tim Tebow.

Is that what Jets have portrayed?

I looked around draft prospects. Oh boy! this year's draft class is not good for Jets' needs.

My projection for Jets' 7 round picks.

1. OLB Andre Branch, Clemson ....
2. ILB Keenan Robinson, Texas....
3. OT Donald Stephenson, Oklahoma....
4. WR Juron Criner, Arizona.
5. FS Aaron Henry, Wisconsin.
6. OLB Jacquies Smith, Missouri....
7. QB Dominique Davis, East Carolina....

Although the defense is solid, it is not locked for 3 years plan so that is why I would like to bolster LB depth now with those kind of talents. S and CB depth will fill out by June 1st cut or UDFA for now.

The offense sounds badly but they still have a starting OL back with young developmental players like Schlaudaff and O'Dowd. Donald Stephenson has athleticism to play LT if necessary in next 4 years. Davis is a promising QB with wildcat skill for Sparano to play stupidly wildcat offense.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Pffttt.. my draft projection is worthless. I am sick to stomach. I don't know what to say.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I honestly dont know how i feel about trading for tebow. Ive been trying to look at the bright side and how well saprano would use him but i cant help but feel hopeless and think are we really that desperate
Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Oh yea btw atogwe left detroit without a contract but he does favor them. Hopefully we make a move on him id love to pair him and laron back there thats a sick secondary if they all stay healthy
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Regardless of what you think of Tebow, this whole day has shown how chaotic and reactionary the Jets front office is. No long-term plan, no patience. Everything is to grab the back pages away from the New York Giants. Meanwhile, our locker room is getting more divided everyday, our quarterback not only is average at best on the field, but is roundly talked about as if he is a 13-year-old girl that will cry when her boyfriend looks at another girl.

Good franchises have a long-term plan, with backup plans, and try to maximize value wherever they can. The Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Packers all do this. They have an identity that is unwaverable. The Patriots are Belichick - you do it his way or you're gone. It works because Brady buys in to it and they win. The Giants are built around Eli Manning, and a defense that thrives on pressure and sacks.

What identity do the Jets have? A loudmouth Rex (and I'm a fan of his), a quarterback with self-esteem issues and a defense that, by the end of the season is exhausted, injury-riddled and fed up with watching their offense go 3-and-out.
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebkreb View Post
Regardless of what you think of Tebow, this whole day has shown how chaotic and reactionary the Jets front office is. No long-term plan, no patience. Everything is to grab the back pages away from the New York Giants. Meanwhile, our locker room is getting more divided everyday, our quarterback not only is average at best on the field, but is roundly talked about as if he is a 13-year-old girl that will cry when her boyfriend looks at another girl.

Good franchises have a long-term plan, with backup plans, and try to maximize value wherever they can. The Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Packers all do this. They have an identity that is unwaverable. The Patriots are Belichick - you do it his way or you're gone. It works because Brady buys in to it and they win. The Giants are built around Eli Manning, and a defense that thrives on pressure and sacks.

What identity do the Jets have? A loudmouth Rex (and I'm a fan of his), a quarterback with self-esteem issues and a defense that, by the end of the season is exhausted, injury-riddled and fed up with watching their offense go 3-and-out.

Yup... that is what Tanny is all about for Jets. Super Bowl team not developmental team.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Trojanback02
Rookie

Trojanback02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebkreb View Post

Yea tannenbaum is terrible, constantly ignores the draft trying to find a 'get rich quick' fix to improve this team, but in reality all he's been doing is throwing sh*t at the wall to see if it sticks.
Trojanback02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

I ******* knew we were going to end up paying half of that owed money. This is probably only going to get sanchez even more rattled but i really hope it works out for us
Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I might be alone with this but i heavily approve of the Tebow trade. Entering the off-season, didn't we all agree that we needed a QB to push Sanchez and compete with him? Well we literally just got the best possible guy to do that. Timmy will bust his ass every single day in practice, in the film room, etc. to try and earn that starting job. Having someone who works that hard will rub off not only on Marky but the rest of the team as well.

Secondly, we just got the 2nd best short yardage/goalline back in the league (second only to Cam). The jumbo QB draw gains at least 2 yards 95% of the time cuz it's basically impossible to stop. And the first time we come out in the Tebowcat on 4th an inches at midfield and hit Keller 40 yards downfield is gonna be awesome too.

For all the media attention this move is gonna get, I dont see it as a very high risk move. He's gonna see the field 5-10 snaps a game max. He's gonna push Sanchez to be the best possible QB he can be. Where is the downside?

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
I might be alone with this but i heavily approve of the Tebow trade. Entering the off-season, didn't we all agree that we needed a QB to push Sanchez and compete with him? Well we literally just got the best possible guy to do that. Timmy will bust his ass every single day in practice, in the film room, etc. to try and earn that starting job. Having someone who works that hard will rub off not only on Marky but the rest of the team as well.

Secondly, we just got the 2nd best short yardage/goalline back in the league (second only to Cam). The jumbo QB draw gains at least 2 yards 95% of the time cuz it's basically impossible to stop. And the first time we come out in the Tebowcat on 4th an inches at midfield and hit Keller 40 yards downfield is gonna be awesome too.

For all the media attention this move is gonna get, I dont see it as a very high risk move. He's gonna see the field 5-10 snaps a game max. He's gonna push Sanchez to be the best possible QB he can be. Where is the downside?

First two years under Rex Ryan were finished one game away from Super Bowl with this kind of pound and ground offense with wildcat package. Last year without Brad Smith, Ryan wanted to change the offense to vertical offense. Once it was failed, Jets could not revert to ground and pound offense without Brad Smith's wildcat.

This year, Ryan knows only ground and pound offense with wildcat package will put Jets back to Super Bowl contender. Tebow is vastly upgraded to Brad Smith without a doubt. Even though I absolutely hate wildcat package, I can see why Jets being aggressive on Tebow.

Inside the franchise, Tebow wont replace Sanchez if Sanchez struggles because the offense will rely heavily on the run game as it will take off some pressure on Sanchez. Unfortunately, media and fans will avert it if Jets are not winning. I am curious how strong Ryan's head will be during the season.

I dont see any downside on having Tebow, indeed.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Trojanback02
Rookie

Trojanback02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well the big downside to tebow and my biggest fear is what happens when mark is clearly not the answer at qb anymore ( I still think he can be a very good but not great) does the coaching staff front office move foward with tebow, or do we look for another qb.

If tebow does eventually get starts if mark is under performing, I fear the fact he will pull in a small winning streak giving false hope that he can be a franchise qb. I don't want to be stuck in a situation for years when we go back and forth with tebow instead of trying to target a real franchise qb.

He is still young, but seeing him last year I dont have much hope that he can turn into a franchise signal caller.

and yes, hopefully competition will bring the best out of mark, and I'm excited it's tebow because there probably isn't a better backup in the league for this job.
Trojanback02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanback02 View Post
Well the big downside to tebow and my biggest fear is what happens when mark is clearly not the answer at qb anymore ( I still think he can be a very good but not great) does the coaching staff front office move foward with tebow, or do we look for another qb.

If tebow does eventually get starts if mark is under performing, I fear the fact he will pull in a small winning streak giving false hope that he can be a franchise qb. I don't want to be stuck in a situation for years when we go back and forth with tebow instead of trying to target a real franchise qb.

He is still young, but seeing him last year I dont have much hope that he can turn into a franchise signal caller.

and yes, hopefully competition will bring the best out of mark, and I'm excited it's tebow because there probably isn't a better backup in the league for this job.

I believe both Sanchez and Tebow are good for two years and Jets envision McElroy as a quarterback of the future. That means we wont sign or draft a QB until after 2013 season. Ryan may have 2 more seasons to coach as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanback02 View Post

This move was not made to make Tebow the franchise QB, he is going to be a situational player

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the mock I am writing I have the Jets taking Riley Reiff. What do you guys think about that? Is that a need position? Think its realistic? Who is atop your wish lists?
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Reiff is terrible at run blocking and Jets are committed to the running on ground so it has to be a terrible pick. Jets already have Ferguson at LT and RT is still up in the air with Hunter and Ducasse. I am not sure if Jets will waste 1st round pick on RT.

Pass rusher and WR are more logical for Jets' first round pick. If you plan to have Jets chase rookies for starting jobs then OLB, WR and FS are a good start.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Not a bad combo trades by Jets.

Jets lose 4th round and lower 6th round picks.
Jets get Tebow, higher 6th and 7th round picks.

Prior to obtaining several compensatory selections without the Lowery finalized trade, Jets will have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 7th.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Not a bad combo trades by Jets.

Jets lose 4th round and lower 6th round picks.
Jets get Tebow, higher 6th and 7th round picks.

Prior to obtaining several compensatory selections without the Lowery finalized trade, Jets will have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 7th.

Wow, I did not see that. Jets got merely 7lth round pick from Jaguars for Lowery? That is laughable. Anyways, that pick goes with Stanton to Colts.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Reiff is terrible at run blocking
I stopped reading after that. Reiff might be the best run blocking OT in the draft, very strong at the point of attack and rarely gets pushed back. I agree RT isn't a likely option at 16, Michael Floyd/Stephen Hill or a pass rusher make the most sense.

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I stopped reading after that. Reiff might be the best run blocking OT in the draft, very strong at the point of attack and rarely gets pushed back. I agree RT isn't a likely option at 16, Michael Floyd/Stephen Hill or a pass rusher make the most sense.

ZBS run blocker, sure. Power mauler, he is not.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Compensatory picks:
Jets got 2 6s and 2 7s. Comp picks cannot be traded, but they do free up your team to trade their own picks and still have a choice in the round. Rumors are Jets might target some special teams aces with these picks, possibly including a kicker and punter.
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

4 comp picks in last 2 rounds mean Jets could afford to burn picks to trade up for starting jobs in OLB, WR, FS and maybe TE without losing some depth.

I doubt Jets will ever draft P or K ( they still heart Folk) but with those 3 7th round picks they could land a much strong legged punter.