Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with it. Pass rush was CLEARLY the biggest problem on defense last year, and there comes a point where you either keep going after your prototypical H-W-S guys because they supposedly fit your "scheme" better, or you just say **** it and try to fix the biggest weakness on the team. I feel we did the latter, and I like it. Whether or not it works out remains to be seen, but I like Wimbley as a player, and I'd much rather have DEs that can rush the passer than ones that play the run more consistently. Now, more than ever, that's the way you close out games on defense - rush the passer, wreak havoc, force turnovers.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Also, anyone else think the FO signing Wimbley is odd? Seems like this move would make total sense under Washburn, but from everything we've heard and seen, the currect staff wants bigger DE's. Wimbley is listed at 6'4, 255 lbs. Maybe after last year's struggles, they decided to make a philosophical change?

I do like the signing though. People will say it's too much, but the money is pretty spot on market value. Antwan Odom could only notch 8 sacks with AH, KVB, and Tony Brown next to him, and he got $30 million from Cincy. Ray Edwards got $30 million last year despite not being a double digit guy. Kamerion at least has the same production, but also the upside of never being a full time DE in his pro career.
I really don't think it is odd at all, people went too far saying the Titans wanted to "get bigger" at DE and I think it was primarily meant for the DT and LE position.

In his history with the Bills, he had Sam Adams & Pat Williams, both are 330+ and that's why we signed Smith to play that part. Also, in Buffalo he had Aaron Schobel at DE who played around the 240-255 range his whole career. While with washington (although not DC) he saw what Aaron Carter could do at 250.

Now at LE he likes a guy closer to 280, and this is why I think JJ is gone. JJ played best at DT, and he's just average at DE. Gray doesn't want a 285 pound DT.

This is why I've been pondering what the Titans are going to do with Karl Klug. On one hand they can play him at under tackle and be fine, but he did play some defensive end at Iowa and I wonder if this has been discussed to play him more at a DE and DT role that they reportedly were interested in playing Jones in this season.

This is why I think the Titans are quietly interested in adding a 310+ DT in this years draft such as, Michael Brockers, Dontari Poe, Brandon Thompson, Alamada Ta'amu etc. I also think the Titans will express interest in someone like Aubrayu Franklin before long.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BRING BACK BO SCHOBEL... I think we are starting to create a quietly very talented team. Which I like, I think we will make a lot of noise in the AFCS this year and likely win it. Hutch could be a brilliant signing, as long as we bring in a centre who can make a bigger impact that Amano we will be firing on all cylinders at the front as Amano/Harris are good guards.
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Now at LE he likes a guy closer to 280, and this is why I think JJ is gone. JJ played best at DT, and he's just average at DE. Gray doesn't want a 285 pound DT.

This is why I've been pondering what the Titans are going to do with Karl Klug. On one hand they can play him at under tackle and be fine, but he did play some defensive end at Iowa and I wonder if this has been discussed to play him more at a DE and DT role that they reportedly were interested in playing Jones in this season.

This is why I think the Titans are quietly interested in adding a 310+ DT in this years draft such as, Michael Brockers, Dontari Poe, Brandon Thompson, Alamada Ta'amu etc. I also think the Titans will express interest in someone like Aubrayu Franklin before long.
I don't think we'll see Klug moved to DE. Even though he's an undersized DT, we witnessed last year how capable of a pass-rusher he is from that DT spot. His speed/motor against opposing interior-OL is his best asset and that asset would be undermined by moving him to DE, where he would face faster and more athletic OTs. Basically, we should learn from the Jason Jones failed-DE expriment here. I don't think Klug's a true "starter" for us anyway -- more of a rotational guy who we can put in during obvious pass-situations and at the point where opposing OL are a bit tired/sluggish. All that said, I wouldn't mind seeing us move Klug around a little -- just so long as his primary spot is still at DT.

As far as the draft, I think a lot will obviously depend on who's available at our picks; but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we went DE & DT with those first two picks (in some order). Honestly, there are lots of DE/DT combos that I would be ecstatic to get: Mercilus/Thompson; Perry/Reyes; Coples/Chapman; Still/Curry; Brockers/Crick; etc. etc. etc. Any of those DE/DT combos (or other combinations) would be an improvement.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicktheGreat View Post
I don't think we'll see Klug moved to DE. Even though he's an undersized DT, we witnessed last year how capable of a pass-rusher he is from that DT spot. His speed/motor against opposing interior-OL is his best asset and that asset would be undermined by moving him to DE, where he would face faster and more athletic OTs. Basically, we should learn from the Jason Jones failed-DE expriment here. I don't think Klug's a true "starter" for us anyway -- more of a rotational guy who we can put in during obvious pass-situations and at the point where opposing OL are a bit tired/sluggish. All that said, I wouldn't mind seeing us move Klug around a little -- just so long as his primary spot is still at DT.

As far as the draft, I think a lot will obviously depend on who's available at our picks; but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we went DE & DT with those first two picks (in some order). Honestly, there are lots of DE/DT combos that I would be ecstatic to get: Mercilus/Thompson; Perry/Reyes; Coples/Chapman; Still/Curry; Brockers/Crick; etc. etc. etc. Any of those DE/DT combos (or other combinations) would be an improvement.
I agree, Klug is best at DT and that should be his primary spot. If they did any moving I'd want it to be where he could just kind of fill in every spot for a few plays but primarily be a 3rd down pass rusher at DT.

There's some guys I don't think would be good for the Titans, like Chapman I don't see much potential or upside in him. With that said, I'm excited to see what happens in the draft. A DE and DT combo with the first two selections, taking an interior lineman and DB in the 3rd and 4th may be the best scenario for us.

But we still have some time in free agency and may grab a DT and CB
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's some guys I don't think would be good for the Titans, like Chapman I don't see much potential or upside in him. With that said, I'm excited to see what happens in the draft. A DE and DT combo with the first two selections, taking an interior lineman and DB in the 3rd and 4th may be the best scenario for us.

But we still have some time in free agency and may grab a DT and CB
I like Chapman more than most, I think. I watched almost every game that Chapman played in college, and he can be a legit run-stuffing DT in the NFL. Plus, he played through an ACL injury almost all season last year, which tells me that he's a team-first kind of guy. Yes...he's still recovering from that ACL injury; but he's going to be a contributor for some team during the second half of the season (and for seasons to come).

The interior OL situation is interesting. With all the interior offensive-linemen that we have been rumored to be interested in (e.g. Myers, Wells, Saturday, Jackson, etc.), it seems that...

(A.) The team is seriously committed to replacing Amano at C.
(B.) The team wants a veteran making line-calls instead of a rookie.

Heading into this offseason, I would've thought that interior OL would've been an early draft priority. However, assuming we sign a veteran lineman, I think we could actually wait until the mid-to-late rounds and draft a developmental guy.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Personally, I'd rather have a bigger DT than Chapman. He's 6007 316? We already have short DT's in Jurrell Casey (6005 300) and Sen'Derrick Marks (6016 306). Worthy is a guy that really intrigues me, people either love him and think he's a first rounder, or some think he's a 3rd. When I look at him, I see a dominant guy that reminds me of Sam Adams and Pat Williams. I don't want to go DT round 1, but if he's there round 2 I'm all over that pick. My favorites are Worthy, Thompson and although I haven't seen Ta'amu much I think he'd fit Grays system very well. I also love Akiem Hicks who should be available in the 4th or 5th.

Now if the Titans really like Chapman, I'm fine with that. They know more than I do.

My view on the interior line is somewhat simple. We've got a few guys the roster that the staff seems to like in Velasco, Durand, Kropog (could play guard). In addition, Leroy Harris may come back at for a very reasonable salary next year, and I've never thought he was the weak link. I remember reports of Harris looking like a future pro bowler a few years ago. So if there's value I think they take it, otherwise I think they wait.

If a guy like DeCastro is there in the first, despite reports I have a hard time believing they pass on him. They may even convert him to center if they want.

Other than that I don't think they take a OL first round. In round 2 however, I think the Titans will look seriously at Konz, Zeitler and Silatolu if available.
In the 3rd, Ben Jones, who I'm personally not a huge fan of.
In the 4th Michael Brewster. Brewster has intelligence that I think Munch respects, he has good technique and tools. I think Munch and Bruce will look at him and know they can turn him into a very good player.
In the 5th David Molk seems like a perfect fit for us. He's undersized at 6'1" 298, but is very athletic and very strong (41 reps). In our scheme we don't need a huge bulking center, we need someone whos strong and powerful and can pull. Molk is that guy, I think Munch and Bruce will look at him and be reminded of a guy Bruce played with and Munch coached, Mark Stepnoski.

If you look at the history of the Titans, we often take underclassmen who have fallen into the middle rounds in that area.

I really don't know if we will, but I suspect the Titans will look at and possibly sign some veteran guys like C Todd McClure, DE Andre Carter, DE Aaron Schobel, DT Aubrayo Franklin, LB Leroy Hill, CB Marcus Trufant.

Right now i'm expecting (or wanting) the draft to look something like: (using CBS Sports overall rankings)

1) DE Whitney Mercilus Illinois
2) OL Amini Silatolu Midwestern State
3) DT Alameda Ta'amu Washington
4) CB Coryell Judie Texas A&M
5) C David Molk Michigan
6) WR Ryan Broyles OU
7) DE Donte Paige-Miss NC

With that being said, I would complain with
1) DT Jerell Worthy Michigan State
2) DE Chandler Jones Syracuse
3) CB Trumaine Johnson Montana
4) C Michael Brewster Ohio State
5) LB Travis Lewis OU
6) DE Jacquis Smith Missouri
7) RB Bryce Brown Kansas State

I really like the guys in the 2nd/3rd/4th round of this draft with the areas we need. I would be more than thrilled if we could work out a trade to move down into the late 1st, early 2nd and pick up another 3rd or 4th this year
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well mightytitan you'd like the 1st round of my mock, in which I have the Titans taking Mercilus. Are the Titans deadlocked on taking a defensive end or are there other positions to consider?
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Prior to signing Wimbley I'd say they were pretty deadset, now I think we are really going to look BPA.

We still only have two good DE's on the roster, so I'd expect us to address it once early and once or twice again later in the draft unless we sign one between now and the draft.

I really don't see us going offensive line unless DeCastro happens to fall which I don't see happening. I really think if there's a team that wants to trade down we may. In the first I think we'd consider DeCastro, all first round worthy DE's, Brockers, Poe, Worthy, Still, Barron, maybe Kirkpatrick. It's really hard to determine where they'll go with that selection, but In my opinion, if it's not DeCastro it won't be offense
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we go DT early, I want him to have pass-rush ability. Even if Jurrell Casey may max out at 305, his skillset is still that of a NT. Dude's way better moving laterally than north/south, which is really a compliment. I'd like someone next to him with both the size to fit our scheme and the skillset of a 4-3 UT to battle the current passing trend of the NFL. Then sub in Klug to do what Klug do, which is rape.

I wasn't into football back when Pat Williams and Sam Adams were in Buffalo, but I don't think that would work in today's NFL. At least, not as effective. Defenses need to be able to collapse the pocket. So in order to get that size/skill combo, it'll probably take our 1st RD pick. Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers, Devon Still, Fletcher Cox, and Jerel Worthy all fit this for me, and are all projected to be 1st RD'ers, so odds are they won't be there in the 2nd RD. Poe has a size-to-athleticism ratio comparable to Haynesworth. Brockers is the 6'5, 320 lbs. prototype. Devon Still has the All-American production, and is 6'5, 303 lbs. Fletcher Cox is sub-300 lbs., but he's still growing and has the pass-rushing skill and height. Jerel Worthy is the shortest at 6'2, but is stout at 308 lbs. and he could end up being the best of the bunch if he puts it all together. Good chance all these guys can get up to 310 lbs.

I want a 3-down starter at DT. We drafted three last year in Casey, Klug, and Zach Clayton, and have vets in Shaun Smith and Question Marks. We have one starter in Casey, who can play every down but if probably best suited to sit on passing downs in lieu of better pass-rushers. We have a 3rd DT in Klug, who is just an ace (I actually like Klug at DT no matter what the down and distance. The dude just makes plays, whether it be sacking the Brees for a safety or stripping the ball from Ricky Williams.). Smith, Marks, and Clayton for depth (although I think we may see Marks cut). So really the place where a DT's role is needed is an every down guy skillset with the talent to start.

Also, I think with the signings of Hutch and Wimbley, I'm not if they really affect the draft as much as we may think. Hutch is a 3-year bandaid, they staff and FO seem eager to replace Amano, and Leroy Harris is a borderline starter heading into his last year. If DeCastro is there, then he'll probably be BPA and would fill a current and future need. If Konz is there, then he's a guy you can take to play RG for a year and then move to C to replace Amano (I don't want a rookie C making line calls for Locker, so that's how I'd handle it at least). I know MightyTitan isn't high on Konz, but he's probably not making it past the Ravens.

Wimbley is a totally unknown commodity, and we need another DE regardless. Wimbley could settle into RE, and show it's his natural position after racking off double-digit sacks. Then again, he could be such a liability in the run-game that Gray decides another DE would be better off starting in his run-stopping priority scheme. So it wouldn't surprise me if the FO, who been pretty vocal and proactive about addressing the pass-rush, decides to take a DE in the 1st and try a trio of Morgan/Wimbley/Rookie at the two DE spots.

Ideally, I think it would be a coup if we nailed Michael Brockers in the 1st and traded our 2nd RD'er for Osi Umenyiora. We'd have our #1 DE, our massive DT who can collapse the pocket, and then in the 3rd RD go BPA at C, G, S, CB, or DE.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:13 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the first time in forever, I'm just gonna sit back and chill and hope to be pleasantly surprised on draft day. The only guy I really want is DeCastro, but I've talked myself out of believing that there's even a 1% chance of him being available at our pick. The only thing I'm really against is going with a secondary player in the first or second. I hate this year's safety class, and I'd rather sign a veteran corner at this point.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the year that I hope the Titans identify a player they really like and do what it takes to get him. I just feel like we are a really talented pass-rusher away from being the makings of a good defense. Klug, Casey, Ayers, McCarthey,McCourtey, and Verner all have shown flashes of being play-makers, we just need someone who can pressure the QB into making mistakes. I still have my hopes that Derrick Morgan will turn it around and be that player (he looked better as the season went on), but we can't afford to wait for him.

also I really want Jared Crick in the 2nd or 3rd round. He is like the perfect balance between Klug and Casey. I'm just salavating at the thought of him as the 3 tech, Jurrell at nose and Karl cleaning up bitches in relif duty and on 3rd down. DT heaven......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I wasn't into football back when Pat Williams and Sam Adams were in Buffalo, but I don't think that would work in today's NFL. At least, not as effective. Defenses need to be able to collapse the pocket. So in order to get that size/skill combo, it'll probably take our 1st RD pick. Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers, Devon Still, Fletcher Cox, and Jerel Worthy all fit this for me, and are all projected to be 1st RD'ers, so odds are they won't be there in the 2nd RD. Poe has a size-to-athleticism ratio comparable to Haynesworth. Brockers is the 6'5, 320 lbs. prototype. Devon Still has the All-American production, and is 6'5, 303 lbs. Fletcher Cox is sub-300 lbs., but he's still growing and has the pass-rushing skill and height. Jerel Worthy is the shortest at 6'2, but is stout at 308 lbs. and he could end up being the best of the bunch if he puts it all together. Good chance all these guys can get up to 310 lbs.

I want a 3-down starter at DT. We drafted three last year in Casey, Klug, and Zach Clayton, and have vets in Shaun Smith and Question Marks. We have one starter in Casey, who can play every down but if probably best suited to sit on passing downs in lieu of better pass-rushers. We have a 3rd DT in Klug, who is just an ace (I actually like Klug at DT no matter what the down and distance. The dude just makes plays, whether it be sacking the Brees for a safety or stripping the ball from Ricky Williams.). Smith, Marks, and Clayton for depth (although I think we may see Marks cut). So really the place where a DT's role is needed is an every down guy skillset with the talent to start.

Also, I think with the signings of Hutch and Wimbley, I'm not if they really affect the draft as much as we may think. Hutch is a 3-year bandaid, they staff and FO seem eager to replace Amano, and Leroy Harris is a borderline starter heading into his last year. If DeCastro is there, then he'll probably be BPA and would fill a current and future need. If Konz is there, then he's a guy you can take to play RG for a year and then move to C to replace Amano (I don't want a rookie C making line calls for Locker, so that's how I'd handle it at least). I know MightyTitan isn't high on Konz, but he's probably not making it past the Ravens.

Wimbley is a totally unknown commodity, and we need another DE regardless. Wimbley could settle into RE, and show it's his natural position after racking off double-digit sacks. Then again, he could be such a liability in the run-game that Gray decides another DE would be better off starting in his run-stopping priority scheme. So it wouldn't surprise me if the FO, who been pretty vocal and proactive about addressing the pass-rush, decides to take a DE in the 1st and try a trio of Morgan/Wimbley/Rookie at the two DE spots.

Ideally, I think it would be a coup if we nailed Michael Brockers in the 1st and traded our 2nd RD'er for Osi Umenyiora. We'd have our #1 DE, our massive DT who can collapse the pocket, and then in the 3rd RD go BPA at C, G, S, CB, or DE.
Nice post TitanHope.

Regarding Sam Adams and Pat Williams, I believe that is a valid point and I don't want to try to implement that because they are not pass rushers. However, they collapsed the pocket and had the strength to generally leave the DE's one on one (Schobel and ??? Denney maybe???). When referring to this, I am actually referring to a more modern version like the Jaguars had for years in Henderson and Stroud, or the Vikings had with Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. Two guys that demand 3 blockers on every play freeing up the DE's.

Also, I agree about Casey, he can be played at the NT position (at 300-305 it'd be fine, it's not like we're running a 3-4). So if you look at that it'd be Smith/Casey and Rookie/Klug. One of my favorite underrated guys in the draft is Brandon Thompson, he'd be a great fit at this position and should be there round 2. My biggest problem with Brockers is his inability to rush the passer

I also agree with Hutch and Wimbley, but what they do is allow us to go BPA and not need to draft that position early if we don't want to. I still expect a DE in the first 3 rounds, and at least an interior lineman at some point in the draft.

It's not that I don't like Konz, it's that I don't think he's worth pick 20. I think he's a very good player, but I think Munch can make a good starter from a 3-5th round pick if it's a guy Munch believes in. Since 2000, the best center in each draft class generally goes in the middle of the 2nd round. Guys like LeCharles Bentley, Dominic Raioli, Jake Grove, Ryan Kalil etc of course there are exceptions Jeff Faine at 21, Chris Spencer at 26, Nick Mangold at 29, Alex Mack at 21 , Eric Wood at 28, and Max Unger etc etc

If you solidify the rest of the O-Line, I feel centers don't have to be overly talented.

Like I've said before, I'd love to trade back if possible. But there are a lot of guys I would like taking. The only thing I really disagree with is trading a 2nd for Osi. We'd be getting a 30 year old defensive end in the last year of his contract, if he resigned as part of the trade we'd likely still be paying him 10m/ yr
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
This is the year that I hope the Titans identify a player they really like and do what it takes to get him. I just feel like we are a really talented pass-rusher away from being the makings of a good defense. Klug, Casey, Ayers, McCarthey,McCourtey, and Verner all have shown flashes of being play-makers, we just need someone who can pressure the QB into making mistakes. I still have my hopes that Derrick Morgan will turn it around and be that player (he looked better as the season went on), but we can't afford to wait for him.

also I really want Jared Crick in the 2nd or 3rd round. He is like the perfect balance between Klug and Casey. I'm just salavating at the thought of him as the 3 tech, Jurrell at nose and Karl cleaning up bitches in relif duty and on 3rd down. DT heaven......
I'd really like Crick as well
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

On a side note, the more film I watch on Andre Branch the more I'm starting to like him as a darkhorse for the #20 spot
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What other forums do you post on, MT? *nickname christening* You're too polished for a newb! :)

As for Osi, I emphatically think he's worth a 2nd RD'er and a cushy 4-5/year contract. JPP is getting the spotlight cause he's a freak, and people like Tuck cause of his versatility and his five dollar footlongs. But whenever I watched the Giants play, it seemed that it was Umenyiora who stepped up and made a play when they needed it. He's an elite pass-rusher, and DE's can play into their mid-thirties. This would likely be his last big money contract, and there's a chance he hits the age wall before it ends, but our team has a shot to win the division next year and make the playoffs. Lets use that 2nd RD'er on a sure thing that would greatly improve our pass-rush as well as the overall defense, and accept the fact that we may only get 4 good years from him as opposed to drafting a guy who is younger but may or may not pan out. I'll take the guy who'll average ten sacks a year over a 2nd RD-caliber draft prospect.

Our track record with bringing in vet DE's isn't half bad either. Kevin Carter way back when (I actually met him when I was a kid at St. Jude's. Dude was as big as a house!). KVB unexpectedly unleashed hellfire and brimstone. Kearse was a shell of what he used to be due to injuries, but he reinvented himself into gap-responsible base end who was actually strong against the run. KVB is still chuggin' too and nabbed 8 sacks last year... I miss him. :'(

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I started out on a board nfldraftblitz, whenever the former part founder left and created New Era Scouting I followed him there for a while. Being the only Titans fan on that board kind of got to me, and I left that and joined titanscentral, after they started making you pay I decided I'd give this board a shot since it's a website I've always respected. So i've been around various sites and hopefully will stay on this for a while.

Regarding Osi, I'd be more than content with a 3rd, with the potentail to jump up to a 2nd if he performs well. Just not a fan of giving that up for Osi, but I am a big fan of Osi in general.

On one hand you're getting a 30 year old that you know the results (or at least think we should) on the other hand your passing up a potential 22 year old that can help for years. I agree it's definitely worth a shot though, and if the price was right I'd go for it. What do you think Osi would want, 4 yr 40m is the number thats in my head but I'm just throwing that out.

I've always admired guys like KVB and Babin, one's that motors never quit. I can't even imagine if we still had them two and had Klug in the middle. I do think we got rid of KVB at the right time though, two seasons 27 games with 12 sacks is pretty average numbers.

We've let a lot of guys walk over the years, I can't imagine how good we'd be if we could have kept our players. I'm hoping the new CBA allows/makes us do this, the quality of FA is going to go down, and I hope we resign our playres before they ever hit free agency. I've always felt we can develop our players with the best of them, we just need to keep them
Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

PS we kind of got screwed in the compensatory picks. We lost Babin and Tulloch, signed Hasselbeck and Smith and Ruud who hardly played. Surely that should have netted us something?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When titanscentral went down and subsequently changed and went to a pay site, most of the community just moved to a different board.

http://www.titansreport.com/index

All the same people from the old board, everything picked right up where it left off.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Team boards give me the heebie jeebies. Yuck.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Team boards give me the heebie jeebies. Yuck.
Volnation has killed any chance of me ever wandering to a Titans' team board.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Volnation is god awful. TR is solid
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

thanks for the post pit bull, i may have to come check it out.

New Era Scouting got pretty bad, it was a bunch of people who had been with each other forever, so if anyone had a different view as them they'd just attack you because pretty much all of them had the same view.

Can't remember how many post I tried to verify the reasons Jimmy Clausen was not a first round QB, in fact many believe he was better than Sam Bradford only be replied with "Vince Young is your QB" or when I was arguing Jason Pierre-Paul was heads above the next best DE in the class. I'd go into deep analysis on what I saw on film of each player, and get responses like "he's dumb as a box of rocks" or "there's rumors he's 26" or "he only had (blah blah) amount of sacks"

Very happy not to be there anymore
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Volnation is god awful. TR is solid
The only reason I still visit VN is for the recruiting forum, where 1 in 200 posts is actually useful.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Can't remember how many post I tried to verify the reasons Jimmy Clausen was not a first round QB, in fact many believe he was better than Sam Bradford only be replied with "Vince Young is your QB" or when I was arguing Jason Pierre-Paul was heads above the next best DE in the class. I'd go into deep analysis on what I saw on film of each player, and get responses like "he's dumb as a box of rocks" or "there's rumors he's 26" or "he only had (blah blah) amount of sacks"

Very happy not to be there anymore
Most people on this board like Jimmy Clausen as well. I laughed at Vince Young comment.Only a few people on this board liked JPP. I thought JPP was the 2nd best Dlinemen and Sam Bradford being better than Jimmy so..

Last edited by Complex : 03-27-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Complex is offline   Reply With Quote