Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if O'Brien chooses PSU he will be the starter. Sure they will say its a QB competition but he isn't going to go somewhere to be a backup. He was a really good player as a freshmen/ Edsall's change in offensive scheme really was not tailored to O'Brien's strengths.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

@TorreySmithWR
aye @DannyOBrien5 you look good in those Penn St colors

I'm inclined to agree with Torrey on this one : )

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santonio10 View Post
Yeah I thought he was supposed to be at Wisconsin today. I think it is pretty clear that he is leaning towards Penn State. IMO he is the type of QB Coach O'Brien wants for his offense.

Having said that, I still think Paul Jones has a good shot to be the starter if he keeps his academics in order.
He wasn't supposed to be at Wisconsin today. All reports were that he was only scheduled to be there this past weekend which he was and he reported the visit as 'unbelievable'. I have no idea which way he is leaning at the moment.
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like he's choosing Wisconsin... :( :( :(

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...hoose-badgers/

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Looks like he's choosing Wisconsin... :( :( :(

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...hoose-badgers/
Oh poop. Wisconsin probably promised him the job outright while PSU had to appease their garbage QBs to say it would be a QB challenge even though O'Brien is better than all three of them.

Here is another link:

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by SolidGold : 03-28-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Oh poop. Wisconsin probably promised him the job outright while PSU had to appease their garbage QBs to say it would be a QB challenge even though O'Brien is better than all three of them.

Here is another link:

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...9bb2963f4.html
Or he saw that Madison is a far superior college town and he felt that the Badgers presented a better chance to win and position himself for a pro-career.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
Or he saw that Madison is a far superior college town and he felt that the Badgers presented a better chance to win and position himself for a pro-career.
State College is right up there IMO (pre scandal anyways) and playing for Bill O'Brien in a pro style offense would of helped him prep for the pros. I wasn't trying to knock Wisconsin at all, I think it is a good fit for him but to be fair Wisconsin has never been a NFL QB factory (although I do think O'Brien has a shot to be a first rounder pick if he plays well - he has all the attributes of a pro QB).

From the article I posted it looks like he likes that Wisconsin is dedicated to running the ball, play action. Congrats to Wisconsin and I hope O'Brien plays well, he was fun to watch at UMD his freshman season.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

O'Brien to Wisco. Not Ole Miss but at least its not Ped State
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is pretty clear that o'Brien chose Wisky because the QB situation is worse there. Makes me think that Paul Jones might be doing really well and may have scared him off. Hope he can keep his grades up!

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all seriousness I hope Bill O'Brien does great at Penn State and turns it around. All of the creep fans still worshiping Paterno will either come to their senses or jump ship which is a good thing. I think he will bring them back but it will still be a while. Danny O'Brien has some ability but I don't think he will come in to any team and do what Russell Wilson did for Wisconsin this year, I know Wisco was loaded last year but Wilson was amazing. Say what you want about scheme change etc. but O'Brien got demoted at Maryland, he isn't that special.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No he definitely isn't that special. He's pretty good but certainly no Wilson. I think Wisconsin will be good with him. I'm totally on board will Coach O'Brien. He has done a great job so far and I don't we could have hired anyone better. He is exciting and has brought a lot of positive attention to the program.

BoneKrusher

Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
In all seriousness I hope Bill O'Brien does great at Penn State and turns it around. All of the creep fans still worshiping Paterno will either come to their senses or jump ship which is a good thing. I think he will bring them back but it will still be a while. Danny O'Brien has some ability but I don't think he will come in to any team and do what Russell Wilson did for Wisconsin this year, I know Wisco was loaded last year but Wilson was amazing. Say what you want about scheme change etc. but O'Brien got demoted at Maryland, he isn't that special.
Edsall employed a totally different offense though, Edsall wanted to put his guy in his offense. It is more of a spread attack, O'Brien excelled as a freshman in the pro-style offense of Friedgen - he was ACC Freshman of the year. He has all the tools to be a very good QB and I believe his success will mirror that of Wilson's this season.

In regards to PSU - O'Brien has done a great job landing some really solid recruits - Santonio10 provided a list on the last page. Once he gets his guys in and the current crop of QBs out of State College he should have a solid foundation.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

O'Brien I hope he does good, but just loses to Temple this year.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Edsall employed a totally different offense though, Edsall wanted to put his guy in his offense. It is more of a spread attack, O'Brien excelled as a freshman in the pro-style offense of Friedgen - he was ACC Freshman of the year. He has all the tools to be a very good QB and I believe his success will mirror that of Wilson's this season.

In regards to PSU - O'Brien has done a great job landing some really solid recruits - Santonio10 provided a list on the last page. Once he gets his guys in and the current crop of QBs out of State College he should have a solid foundation.
I see what your saying though but if a quarterback is that good you work with him. I understand how Edsall ran a different offense but if he thought he could win with O'Brien he would have kept him as the starter. I personally just don't buy into O'Brien being anything that special and I have seen him play several times I'm not just hating.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Da'Rick Rogers might transfer. He is calling for press conference for later today.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

Quote:
I think it is pretty clear that o'Brien chose Wisky because the QB situation is worse there. Makes me think that Paul Jones might be doing really well and may have scared him off. Hope he can keep his grades up!
Whatever helps you sleep at night. These and those below from you are the exact quotes that always come out from the side that loses out on a transfer or a recruit. Maybe, just maybe, he chose Wisconsin because he felt better there, felt the program was better, better personnel around him? No, that can't be it, as we saw last year it all boiled down to the quality of the QB depth at PSU.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night. These and those below from you are the exact quotes that always come out from the side that loses out on a transfer or a recruit. Maybe, just maybe, he chose Wisconsin because he felt better there, felt the program was better, better personnel around him? No, that can't be it, as we saw last year it all boiled down to the quality of the QB depth at PSU.
I am sure he probably did, Wisconsin is a more stable program. I do think the QB situation there did have a little something to do with his decision - it seems all of Wisconsin's current QBs have differing health issues. I don't think it was the only reason he decided on Wisconsin but I am sure it factored into his decision.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The bolded part is laughable. I say that because comments like that are blanket laughable because most top college towns are created equal. Its laughable to think that Madison is any better than State College or Austin or Ann Arbor or Boulder or Charlottesville or South Bend...etc. All those places are AMAZING college towns and to say any are "far superior" to the others is just false.

The rest of it is true though. He probably picked Wisconsin because it gave him the best chance to play and win right away and they have proven success of getting a transfer QB to come in and lead them to a Rose Bowl.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
The bolded part is laughable. I say that because comments like that are blanket laughable because most top college towns are created equal. Its laughable to think that Madison is any better than State College or Austin or Ann Arbor or Boulder or Charlottesville or South Bend...etc. All those places are AMAZING college towns and to say any are "far superior" to the others is just false.

The rest of it is true though. He probably picked Wisconsin because it gave him the best chance to play and win right away and they have proven success of getting a transfer QB to come in and lead them to a Rose Bowl.
Considering I've spent 4 years in Madison, 2 years in AA and about a month in Charlottesville I'm confident I have some perspective and I'm still fine going out on a limb like that and that there is a differnce. They're all great, some are just better.

Last edited by andyjo672 : 03-29-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah you are right. They certainly have more certains in their program than PSU does. Better (and bigger) O-Line, Montee Ball, history will Russell Wilson etc. But PSU has some good talent. Yes, we graduated 4 o-linemen, but we have a good number of junior o-linemen with room to grow and get better. We also have Silas Redd, another really good running back in B1G. IMO I think it came down to what the QB situation was worse. He had an immediate shot to start at either program because PSU is putting in a brand new offense and everyone starts from scratch and Wisconsin has QB issues of their of own.

Again, just my opinion

BoneKrusher

Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah you are right. They certainly have more certains in their program than PSU does. Better (and bigger) O-Line, Montee Ball, history will Russell Wilson etc. But PSU has some good talent. Yes, we graduated 4 o-linemen, but we have a good number of junior o-linemen with room to grow and get better. We also have Silas Redd, another really good running back in B1G. IMO I think it came down to what the QB situation was worse. He had an immediate shot to start at either program because PSU is putting in a brand new offense and everyone starts from scratch and Wisconsin has QB issues of their of own.

Again, just my opinion
Fair enough, I just find it very hard to believe that he was scared off by the QB situation at PSU moreso than he was won over by the UW offerings. Either way, we'll see if lightning can strike twice in Madison. If we weren't the favorite to win the Leaders before this, I have to think we definitely are now.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
State College is right up there IMO (pre scandal anyways) and playing for Bill O'Brien in a pro style offense would of helped him prep for the pros. I wasn't trying to knock Wisconsin at all, I think it is a good fit for him but to be fair Wisconsin has never been a NFL QB factory (although I do think O'Brien has a shot to be a first rounder pick if he plays well - he has all the attributes of a pro QB).

From the article I posted it looks like he likes that Wisconsin is dedicated to running the ball, play action. Congrats to Wisconsin and I hope O'Brien plays well, he was fun to watch at UMD his freshman season.
Umm...I think you're forgetting about
Brooks Bollinger
and of course
the immortal Jim Sorgi

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Da'Rick Rogers might transfer. He is calling for press conference for later today.
He is such a headcase. Wherever he ends up, he's gone after the season anyways.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Da'Rick Rogers to Georgia State.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good thing we got Cordarrelle Patterson.