Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This reminds of the pro arguments in favor of Blaine Gabbert last year. He played poorly in 2010 for Mizzou, yet his advocates argued his franchise QB tools made him worth a top 10 pick. So far he hasn't shown that in the NFL, but I'm going to give him more than a rookie year before I make any final evaluations on his NFL career.

The argument for Tannehill is slightly different. Statistically he had a good season in 2011, and put up better numbers than either Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, while throwing for more yards and TDs than Andy Dalton and more yards than Newton.

Tannehill ended the 2010 season with six consecutive wins in his first six starts, and played well against LSU in the Cotton Bowl.

Tannehill lacks experience, but he has had enough moments where he flashed next level ability at his position that it's not totally insane for him to
be overdrafted in the top 10.

Poe is a curiosity to me.

I'd love to have my team bring him into camp and kick the tires, see if he can be coached/motivated into an NFL Dlineman. But if the SKins took him at 6 I'd be nauseous.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There were arguments in favor of Blaine Gabbert?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
we can say the same thing about Ryan Tannehill, with the exception of not having once in a generation tools. The draft isn't really about what's fair or who's the better football player. it's about need matching upside. a team needs a QB they will reach. a team needs an interior DT they will reach. It happens every year.
If you don't see Tannehill doing things on the field that other QBs don't, you don't know what to look for.

Quote:
several years ago, I actually was very much against drafting JPP high based on backflips and 6 career sacks. Live and learn. rare once in a generation physical tools absolutely matter. And it's deserved. the draft is beholden to laws of supply and demand, and guys with Poe's skills are in high demand ( and extremely low supply).
JPP was an All-American each year he player. 6.5 sacks isn't mind-blowing, but 16.5 tackles for a loss is impressive, and it was his first year playing D-I ball after having 24.5 sacks the previous two years. I just wrote this in another thread. No, JPP didn't have a high sack total for South Florida, but he had everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I had never thought about it and it does indeed make perfect sense. That's why my mind was blown because it's a good idea.
I actually kinda think this, too. I'm curious.

And just to be clear, I don't think he'll be terrible. But people've got him going top-10. He's a second or third rounder. He's a more athletic, less impactful Terrance Cody. He gets pushed around even though he can throw the bench press up over 40 times and weighs 350. Second round is fine, early first is not.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God damn this is an informative thread. Completely did a 180 on my opinion of this guy.

Sounds like he has a bunch of potential, but he is just a technical mess. Short arms and poor leverage generation and instinct - sounds like a horrible combination for someone being touted as a developmental prospect.

Obviously speed and size are intriguing, but I think he falls to 20. Better hope he is coachable.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
God damn this is an informative thread. Completely did a 180 on my opinion of this guy.

Sounds like he has a bunch of potential, but he is just a technical mess. Short arms and poor leverage generation and instinct - sounds like a horrible combination for someone being touted as a developmental prospect.

Obviously speed and size are intriguing, but I think he falls to 16. Better hope he is coachable.
Fixed for accuracy. If a 6'5 350 pounder with that kind of athleticism is sitting there for Rex Ryan I have trouble seeing him pass. Jets might have the biggest, most athletic front 3 in the league, and the coaching staff knows how to coach DL guys. Also, they grabbed Dunbar after the Vikings fired him.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly can't see Poe fall past 14 with Dallas. You really think Jerry would pass on a prospect like Poe, plus they need NT/DE help. Ratliff and Poe would be fun to watch.

I still have Poe going to Carolina at 9 for now, theres a chance Kuechly could get drafted there which would cause Poe to fall some. KC at 11, DAL at 14, PHI at 15 and NYJ at 16 will all consider Poe if he's on the board.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Last edited by RaiderNation : 03-22-2012 at 04:47 PM.
RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I honestly can't see Poe fall past 4 and Dallas. You really think Jerry would pass on a prospect like Poe, plus they need NT/DE help. Ratliff and Poe would be fun to watch.
If you're an NFC East running back.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
gator3guy
Veteran

gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poe's going top 10. He's got the size, the tools, and the versatility. Some team is going to fall in love and want to get into the top 10 if he is there.
gator3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What makes Poe different than a guy like Bruce Campbell?

Both tore up the combine, had bad tape but was in EVERYONES top 15 picks, Mayock had him in his first round as well, and a lot of people had him going 8th overall to the Raiders. And a lot of people had him as the best tackle in the draft.

He was picked by the Raiders.....in the 4th round, 12th or 13th tackle taken.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
gator3guy
Veteran

gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gator3guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You could be right, but I think it is an apples to oranges comparison.
gator3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Defensive tackle and offensive tackle are very different positions? From DTs you take impact plays when they come, but you don't need a guy to be 100% all the time, you honestly don't need them to be 90%+ all the time. On the other hand, for OTs "consistence" is arguably the single most important characteristic, is that if your LT takes a play off 5% of time time, then it's only going to take 20 plays to get your QB killed.

It's also somewhat simpler to mold a DT from raw clay than it is for an OT. Most defensive tackles coming into the NFL have to go through a significant seasoning process, very few DTs are ready to go as rookies.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I'm gonna call it now Poe is going to the Eagles.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!
SRK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post

Both tore up the combine, had bad tape but was in EVERYONES top 15 picks, Mayock had him in his first round as well, and a lot of people had him going 8th overall to the Raiders. And a lot of people had him as the best tackle in the draft.

He was picked by the Raiders.....in the 4th round, 12th or 13th tackle taken.
From what I remember, Campbell had a medical red flag - not sure it was something that came out into the public domain.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

finally came across some video:

Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How seriously do we take the talk of Poe to Carolina at #9? I am about 60/40 that it has to be the first option in a mock.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just thinking outside the box a little bit...is anyone else wondering why Poe isn't an offensive guard? 6'5", 350, can move well, super strong, short arms...
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Just thinking outside the box a little bit...is anyone else wondering why Poe isn't an offensive guard? 6'5", 350, can move well, super strong, short arms...
The good thing is that as an OG, Poe would have an advantage from his experience at DT because he would know what a DT would be thinking.

This is a great idea.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
The good thing is that as an OG, Poe would have an advantage from his experience at DT because he would know what a DT would be thinking.

This is a great idea.
Would someone really draft a defensive tackle in the first round to convert them to offensive guard though?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
How seriously do we take the talk of Poe to Carolina at #9? I am about 60/40 that it has to be the first option in a mock.

J
Carolina has been obsessed with Quinton Coples throughout the draft process; Coples is a far more productive player than Dontari Poe with similar potential. Poe would be my backup option there if someone such as Jacksonville grabs Coples although it would be a mistake to draft a second-team all-Conference USA player in the top ten.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Would someone really draft a defensive tackle in the first round to convert them to offensive guard though?
No, they wouldn't. I wasn't really suggesting that they do so either. I guess I was just thinking out loud that he had the build and skillset for a guard, and maybe if someone had thought about that a few years ago we would be talking about a fantastic guard prospect with lights-out numbers.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
My post was actually a parody on another former poster's frequent "switch Player A to opposite side of the ball for this advantage" posts.

I believe this poster once said Vince Young should be a DE and Michael Vick should be a CB--in each instance it was because they would know what the opposing QB was thinking.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My post was actually a parody on another former poster's frequent "switch Player A to opposite side of the ball for this advantage" posts.

I believe this poster once said Vince Young should be a DE and Michael Vick should be a CB--in each instance it was because they would know what the opposing QB was thinking.
Didn't it start with Juice Williams converting to DE? I forgot Juice Williams even existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Didn't it start with Juice Williams converting to DE? I forgot Juice Williams even existed.
I think you're right.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Was that Starheather? Who kept making those threads?

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was that Starheather? Who kept making those threads?
Nah, Starheather was all about Sergio Kindle and how he was the evolution of the LB position and a lock two wins. Championship.

Juice to DE was IDD I think.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote