Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that the OL is probably set. We might get a mid-round guy for depth that could surprise and start at guard or something. But I expect high round picks will be used on the positions you outlined. That said, I do think there's a good chance we'll pick up a WR if the value is right. I don't think you can count on Avery.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I agree that the OL is probably set. We might get a mid-round guy for depth that could surprise and start at guard or something. But I expect high round picks will be used on the positions you outlined. That said, I do think there's a good chance we'll pick up a WR if the value is right. I don't think you can count on Avery.
I would advocate a BPA mode at all times. The only areas that wouldn't be sensible will be QB, RB, MLB, RLB and FS. There are other positions that we have a starter who isn't that good, like WR, OL, DE and SS but we still have a starter. But if there is good value (Barron at the top of the 2nd etc) and aren't similar value for glaring weaknesses then pull the trigger.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going into the start of free agency, I would've ranked the Colts' needs like this:

1 - QB
2 - NT
3 - interior OL
4 - (tie) CB, WR, SS
5 - TE
6 - ILB

Now, with FA signings, it looks like those priorities have changed

1 - QB
2 - NT
3 - CB
4 - (tie) TE, WR
5 - ILB
6 - SS

At this point I think anyone expecting to take an OLman early in the draft will be disappointed. Grigs went after so many FA OLmen for a reason. In fact, unless the value is extraordinarily high, I doubt the Colts will go after an offensive player at all in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Safely assuming the Colts take Luck in the 1st, I think the big questions in round two will be which position between NT and CB holds the best value, and is there a pass catcher whose value significantly overshadows that of any available NT or CB?

In the first 3 rounds I think the Colts will completely ignore OL, DE, S, RB, FB, and LB. Thoughts?

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, although majority of our signings are just temporary fill-ins, at least we don't have 14312435125454 MAJOR holes anymore.
MaxV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone here like Coby Fleener in round 2?

I keep seeing that in mocks and it is frustrating. I guess I could see it happening, but I'd rather snag a defensive player. I'd like to see a NT or CB. Is there little depth at TE or what?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The TE class is kinda thin. I was against it at first, but I'm warming up to Fleener more and more. People knock him for being a below average/poor blocker. But we had Clark for most of a decade and until his hands turned to concrete everyone was more or less pleased. He's 6'6, runs in the 4.5s, and already has familiarity with Luck. Seems that's exactly what we need.

It used to be Ta'amu which was the obvious pick, but for some reason he's predicted to go 45-55, not 34.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

If we can somehow get Ta'amu in the 3rd, awesome. If not, I won't be upset if we get him in the 2nd. If we get Fleener there, that's fine too. There are going to be plenty of good players available at 34 that will help the Colts. That's the silver lining to having such a bad roster.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't Brandon McKinney still a FA? He was the backup NT in Baltimore last year. He'd be a decent option if we swing and miss.

I'm seeing it as: Luck, Fleener, RB, and Josh Norman/Donnie Fletcher later on. Maybe throw in a 34 DE, WR, S and call it a day. I haven't watched anything from Josh Chapman except for 3 Alabama games where I wasn't paying attention to him, but he's got the size and the Saban pedigree.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reason the team haven't signed or even persued any of the available NTs is that the team are only, by my calculations, about $300K below to the Salary Cap.

Now some of those contracts (Reggie Wayne etc) are just estimates and could be a lot more back loaded than they currently appear. Even if the cap value is less than I have estimated they will probably need $7M or so to sign the Rookies.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Isn't Brandon McKinney still a FA? He was the backup NT in Baltimore last year. He'd be a decent option if we swing and miss.
Colts just signed him. 6'2 345. He's 28, was with the Chargers for 3 years, Ravens for 4. Seems like was never the starter, so no clue what we can expect. Makes NT not a dire need.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/4/4...andon-mckinney
Old 04-04-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

It's no longer a dire need but it's not good that he was never able to supplant Kelly Gregg, and that he appears to have been injured a lot. I think NT is still a draft need, maybe just not as much of one as before.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Okay that proved me ******* wrong about the Salary Cap.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay Free Agency.

I don't remember Colts signing so many FAs in... well, ever.
MaxV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

This offense is in for a complete overhaul. Nice deep class of WR this year so i'm sure we will draft atleast two if not three.

Round 2- Fleener(praying he falls),Stephen Hill(tape looks alot like AJ Green)
Round 3-Broyles,Toon,Hilton
Round 4-Joe Adams,Dwight Jones

Just a couple of scenarios but i'd be happy with any of them.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishspinners View Post
This offense is in for a complete overhaul. Nice deep class of WR this year so i'm sure we will draft atleast two if not three.

Except for the fact that the team are relatively solid at Wide Receiver (Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Blair White) and if they get anything out of Donnie Avery it renders Wide Receiver very close to the bottom of the needs pile.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:

You want to go QB and then 3 receivers? Terrible idea. We need a balanced team.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Aside from Luck, I wouldn't spend more then 1 pick on offense unless the board forces you. Though I am thinking, with Fleener, I think we could have a very good offense, depending on Luck's abilities.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Terrible idea

Quote:
You want to go QB and then 3 receivers? Terrible idea. We need a balanced team.
I'm not saying that they need to draft a WR in each round 2 through 4. I'm saying any of those picks in any of those rounds would be nice. Reggie is older,Collie may not ever play a full season,Blair White is terrible, and Donnie Avery is a HUGE question mark. They really need to rebuild this offense. I know there are plenty of holes on Defense and there is a whole new scheme but I see them drafting a couple WR in this draft.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Except for the fact that the team are relatively solid at Wide Receiver (Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Blair White) and if they get anything out of Donnie Avery it renders Wide Receiver very close to the bottom of the needs pile.
Bottom of the needs pile? Cmon man! TE is a major need for sure. I think Wayne is the only for sure thing at WR right now. Collie when healthy is good but I highly doubt he ever plays a full season again. Blair White is terrible and Donnie Avery is a big question mark.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

Default Defense

As much as i'd like them to utilize that 2nd round pick it might be better to trade it and move down and pick up another couple picks. I think they may have 10 total picks? But this is a huge draft for them and the more picks the better.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not saying that they need to draft a WR in each round 2 through 4. I'm saying any of those picks in any of those rounds would be nice. Reggie is older,Collie may not ever play a full season,Blair White is terrible, and Donnie Avery is a HUGE question mark. They really need to rebuild this offense. I know there are plenty of holes on Defense and there is a whole new scheme but I see them drafting a couple WR in this draft.
So you were just presenting options that may be available at those picks. Got it. Yeah I expect we'll take a few receiving options. I would personally prefer to get a guy like Michael Egnew later in the draft and hopefully get some WR talent earlier. I am not a big fan of TE-centric passing attacks.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

Default Offense

Quote:
So you were just presenting options that may be available at those picks. Got it. Yeah I expect we'll take a few receiving options. I would personally prefer to get a guy like Michael Egnew later in the draft and hopefully get some WR talent earlier. I am not a big fan of TE-centric passing attacks.
Arians likes to implement the TE so I gotta see them taking one casue Eldridge is more of the blocking type. I like Orson Charles but but I don't think he is ever going to be a big numbers guy. I think Fleener will be gone by the time we pick again. Egnew kinda reminds me of Greg Olsen the way he moves. I wouldn't mind taking him. James Hanna of Oklahoma is another TE I wouldn't mind seeing in the blue and white. Hopefully he is there in 4th or 5th round if we haven't taken a TE yet.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Bottom of the needs pile? Cmon man! TE is a major need for sure. I think Wayne is the only for sure thing at WR right now. Collie when healthy is good but I highly doubt he ever plays a full season again. Blair White is terrible and Donnie Avery is a big question mark.
Tight End isn't Wide Receiver. They are two different positions. Austin Collie played 16 games last season. Blair White just got cut but you don't draft a guy in the 2nd Round to replace Blair White while Donnie Avery is a big question mark. But the entire roster is a big question mark. There is a big question mark at WR, we don't even have a question mark at TE, questions about the OL, major questions at NT, questions, not big ones but still questions, at DE, major need at ILB, questions at OLB, major questions as CB, major questions at S and questions in the ST.

Last edited by Seamus2602 : 04-14-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Arians likes to implement the TE so I gotta see them taking one casue Eldridge is more of the blocking type. I like Orson Charles but but I don't think he is ever going to be a big numbers guy. I think Fleener will be gone by the time we pick again. Egnew kinda reminds me of Greg Olsen the way he moves. I wouldn't mind taking him. James Hanna of Oklahoma is another TE I wouldn't mind seeing in the blue and white. Hopefully he is there in 4th or 5th round if we haven't taken a TE yet.
Arians does like the two TE set but the Colts are in total rebuild mould and so we shouldn't expect to get every player we need in this draft. That being said TE is a major need but we can't afford to reach on anyone. Additionally we need someone who can be a complete Tight End, and contribute in the blocking game, rather than just be a big Receiver. That makes me shy away from the likes of Michael Egnew who will be a liability in the run game.

Hanna is a track star but doesn't play at 4.49. He really struggles in blocking, route running, defensive recognition. He's fast, though not too fast, though does have good hands and body control. My main difficulty with your suggestion is that if the Colts take him anything earlier than Comp pick in the 6th then it will be a poor value selection. Hanna isn't anything better than a 6th, maybe even 7th round pick.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think arguing over positional picks is really meaningless when rebuilding like this. I'd be perfectly fine seeing the Colts snagging the best player on their draft board for their picks. If that be WR/TE/CB/NT/ILB whatever. Just pick your guy. All positions need to be addressed so just pick the best player on the board for our new system.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote