Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Depending on how badly Goodell brings on the hammer down on player suspensions, I still really like our chances in the NFC South and the NFC. Defensively, we are improved and our offense should be top notch even with the lost of Nicks (Grubbs should fit in JUST fine) and Meachem.
You guys have the Super Bowl hosting curse along with all of this turmoil. Sure on paper the Saints look to still be legit contenders, but somehow they won't even make the playoffs. Can't beat the curses man.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Depending on how badly Goodell brings on the hammer down on player suspensions, I still really like our chances in the NFC South and the NFC. Defensively, we are improved and our offense should be top notch even with the lost of Nicks (Grubbs should fit in JUST fine) and Meachem.
Let's talk after those player suspensions are announced, you've decided on the coaching situation and Brees is participating under contract.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I know your better than that ESPN garbage BBD. You are definitely selling the Cowboys short. I don't think it was them "not being able to perform in a big moment" as much as it was them just not being good enough. Every team loses close games.

The athleticism on defense is significantly better and we haven't even had the draft yet. We've already talked about this in the cowboys discussion thread. They got better, younger, and more athletic at at least 3 spots (Carr, Carter, Connor), Pool could be an upgrade over Elam, and a healthy Jenkins will help the team because he was hobbled the entire season and still played pretty well.

The interior OL will be better, although we do need to find someone better than Phil Costa at center. A healthy Miles should only make the offense better, we don't have Martellus Bennett anymore to somehow magically make something bad happen on offense (although I do have a sick feeling that he is going to turn into a beast for the Giants because that would make perfect sense with the fortunes of both teams), and Dez should make significant strides in year three with a full off-season.

Combine all that with a solid draft and continued maturation by Jason Garrett and you have a team to be reckoned with. I don't mean to disrespect the Giants but let's be serious it's not like they were world beaters last season. Convincing losses twice to the Redskins, losing at home to the Seahawks in pathetic fashion, losing at hope to the Vince Young led eagles, and should've lost a number of other games including the first cowboys game and to the cardinals. We don't even need to talk about the luck the Giants received in the NFC title game with two fumbled punt returns in the 4th quarter and OT, of course something that has never happened in the history of the playoffs but it happens in favor of the giants... what do ya know?

Anyway, off the soap box, if you look at both rosters right now and say each team has a solid draft (the giants are probably better drafters at the moment under Reese but the Cowboys are picking a lot higher in every round), if both teams are clicking on all cylinders I really don't see how the Giants are a superior football team. Eli doesn't have Terence Newman, Alan Ball, Keith Brooking and Bradie James to laugh at and pick on anymore.
The thing is, when it happens one year, it's just the way the ball bounces. When it happens for 4 years to 5 years, it's a trend. All I'm saying is, I'm not sipping any Cowboys kool aid until they show me. That's all I want. Enough talking about it. They need to be about it. They gotta show it to us. Until then I have no reason to believe that this year will be any different. I really soured on the Cowboys on the final game of the season. That to me, was the most disappointing Cowboys performance of the past 5 years. All week they talked about how they were gonna show everyone that they're a mentally tough team, that they're not quitters, that they can overcome adversity etc etc etc. All week they talked about it.

And what did they do? They came out COMPLETELY flat in the first half. They quit 2 snaps into the game. They woke up in the 3rd quarter, but once it got close the Giants turned it on again and the game was over. That to me, showed me what the Cowboys were about. That's mental weakness, whether you believe in that or not, it's obvious how there is a significant difference to how the Giants respond to having their backs to the wall vs the Cowboys. The Giants thrive in that environment. The Cowboys just completely fall apart. And that's not a 1 year thing. This has happened for 4 years now. That's a trend.

Talent wise, I readily acknowledge that Dallas has a great offense. The issue I have is on the defensive side of the ball. The secondary is still a weakness, even with Carr. Is it better? Yes. But you still have the same safeties, and I need to see consistency out of Jenkins. Scandrick's contract was a bad contract. You don't pay that much to an average slot CB. And so was Sensy's contract. 2 bad contracts in the secondary, along with a 10 mill a season CB in Carr. That's a lot of money invested in an average secondary. That's going to be a problem moving forward while they try to continue to build up that defense.

The front 7 is still a ways to go. Lee is solid, Ware is a stud, Ratliff can be good but I don't see him being good in this defensive system that Rob is running, and that's pretty much all they got. 2 good players in a front 7 is very shaky. I know Carter has potential, but that's all it is right now, potential.

I do not expect their defense to be as poor as it was last year, but I don't think the improvements have been significant enough to leap frog the Eagles or Giants yet. I think both those teams are more talented than the Cowboys right now. The draft can change that, but right here right now, I'm just not buying Dallas.

Do I think they can make the playoffs? Yes I do. Do I view them as a legitimate SB contender? No, I don't. I think that's ultimately the biggest problem with Dallas, they keep making moves in an attempt to win the SB, thinking they're a couple of pieces away, but that's not the case. They need to really overhaul the depth of the entire team and install some fresh blood on the defense, but when you give out bad contracts like they have bc they're afraid of replacing players bc it can potentially impact their ability to win a SB in the upcoming year, you get yourself in a bad situation.

You can't put bandaids on a team and expect to win the SB. You gotta build it from the ground up, and they won't commit to the proper overhaul they need to get this team to where it needs to be talent wise to be a legit SB contender.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cowboys also signed Dan Connor. Supposedly, he and Lee will play two downs with Carter replacing Connor in nickel situations.

I like that a hell of a lot better than old farts in Brooking and James.

But anyway, I stand by my assessment that from the top down, the Cowboys are the dumbest organization around. Jerry needs to hire a real GM and get out of having a personal connection with every single player. He's trying to be George Steinbrenner in a league that actually has a salary cap...that's just never going to work.

Garrett should never have become head coach. He's hilarious unprepared for that...

And at the center of it all is Romo. He gets **** on a little too much and gets a little too much of the blame, but that's going to happen to the QB of "America's Team."
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know your better than that ESPN garbage BBD. You are definitely selling the Cowboys short. I don't think it was them "not being able to perform in a big moment" as much as it was them just not being good enough. Every team loses close games.

The athleticism on defense is significantly better and we haven't even had the draft yet. We've already talked about this in the cowboys discussion thread. They got better, younger, and more athletic at at least 3 spots (Carr, Carter, Connor), Pool could be an upgrade over Elam, and a healthy Jenkins will help the team because he was hobbled the entire season and still played pretty well.

The interior OL will be better, although we do need to find someone better than Phil Costa at center. A healthy Miles should only make the offense better, we don't have Martellus Bennett anymore to somehow magically make something bad happen on offense (although I do have a sick feeling that he is going to turn into a beast for the Giants because that would make perfect sense with the fortunes of both teams), and Dez should make significant strides in year three with a full off-season.

Combine all that with a solid draft and continued maturation by Jason Garrett and you have a team to be reckoned with. I don't mean to disrespect the Giants but let's be serious it's not like they were world beaters last season. Convincing losses twice to the Redskins, losing at home to the Seahawks in pathetic fashion, losing at hope to the Vince Young led eagles, and should've lost a number of other games including the first cowboys game and to the cardinals. We don't even need to talk about the luck the Giants received in the NFC title game with two fumbled punt returns in the 4th quarter and OT, of course something that has never happened in the history of the playoffs but it happens in favor of the giants... what do ya know?

Anyway, off the soap box, if you look at both rosters right now and say each team has a solid draft (the giants are probably better drafters at the moment under Reese but the Cowboys are picking a lot higher in every round), if both teams are clicking on all cylinders I really don't see how the Giants are a superior football team. Eli doesn't have Terence Newman, Alan Ball, Keith Brooking and Bradie James to laugh at and pick on anymore.

I agree with you. No one is talking about the Cowboys this off-season but they've quietly(imagine that) improved. Pool isnt the savior at FS, but he's better than Elam and that's a start and I think the world of Carr so you should see improvement on the back-end. And the additions to the interior of the O-Line should bring more consistency in your run game. What I will say is the biggest question surrounding the Cowboys is and will always be Romo. The guy has heart, moxy, fearlessness, all those traits you want back there but he must excute in criticial moments consisntently for your team to be true contender. And Garrett has to step up as both a coach and a play-caller as well. The draft will tell us the other half of the story but I dont see any team as the front-runner in the NFC East. Three-headed monster at the top of that divivison, as of now.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The thing is, when it happens one year, it's just the way the ball bounces. When it happens for 4 years to 5 years, it's a trend. All I'm saying is, I'm not sipping any Cowboys kool aid until they show me. That's all I want. Enough talking about it. They need to be about it. They gotta show it to us. Until then I have no reason to believe that this year will be any different. I really soured on the Cowboys on the final game of the season. That to me, was the most disappointing Cowboys performance of the past 5 years. All week they talked about how they were gonna show everyone that they're a mentally tough team, that they're not quitters, that they can overcome adversity etc etc etc. All week they talked about it.

And what did they do? They came out COMPLETELY flat in the first half. They quit 2 snaps into the game. They woke up in the 3rd quarter, but once it got close the Giants turned it on again and the game was over. That to me, showed me what the Cowboys were about. That's mental weakness, whether you believe in that or not, it's obvious how there is a significant difference to how the Giants respond to having their backs to the wall vs the Cowboys. The Giants thrive in that environment. The Cowboys just completely fall apart. And that's not a 1 year thing. This has happened for 4 years now. That's a trend.

Talent wise, I readily acknowledge that Dallas has a great offense. The issue I have is on the defensive side of the ball. The secondary is still a weakness, even with Carr. Is it better? Yes. But you still have the same safeties, and I need to see consistency out of Jenkins. Scandrick's contract was a bad contract. You don't pay that much to an average slot CB. And so was Sensy's contract. 2 bad contracts in the secondary, along with a 10 mill a season CB in Carr. That's a lot of money invested in an average secondary. That's going to be a problem moving forward while they try to continue to build up that defense.

The front 7 is still a ways to go. Lee is solid, Ware is a stud, Ratliff can be good but I don't see him being good in this defensive system that Rob is running, and that's pretty much all they got. 2 good players in a front 7 is very shaky. I know Carter has potential, but that's all it is right now, potential.

I do not expect their defense to be as poor as it was last year, but I don't think the improvements have been significant enough to leap frog the Eagles or Giants yet. I think both those teams are more talented than the Cowboys right now. The draft can change that, but right here right now, I'm just not buying Dallas.

Do I think they can make the playoffs? Yes I do. Do I view them as a legitimate SB contender? No, I don't. I think that's ultimately the biggest problem with Dallas, they keep making moves in an attempt to win the SB, thinking they're a couple of pieces away, but that's not the case. They need to really overhaul the depth of the entire team and install some fresh blood on the defense, but when you give out bad contracts like they have bc they're afraid of replacing players bc it can potentially impact their ability to win a SB in the upcoming year, you get yourself in a bad situation.

You can't put bandaids on a team and expect to win the SB. You gotta build it from the ground up, and they won't commit to the proper overhaul they need to get this team to where it needs to be talent wise to be a legit SB contender.
Usually we see eye to eye but I couldn't disagree on most of these points.

To start, mental toughness. I really don't buy into that a whole lot. These guys a 21-35 year old grown men who are making millions of dollars to play a sport. They are professionals. Just because Justin Tuck sounds tough on NFL Network sound FX doesn't mean a thing. Tons of players have come out and said that ra-ra speeches don't win games. This isn't pop warner. I really think the Cowboys just weren't good enough because they were behind the curve with older, less athletic players in this new pass happy league, but this off-season hopefully has begun a positive change toward fixing that.

Now to the part about the Cowboys coming out flat.. how about they just got unlucky and the Giants played a solid football game. I can review that entire first half if you want. How about on the Cowboys opening drive on 3rd down, Dez makes one of your corners look stupid on a fade route (think it was Ross) but either because of his hand or the rain Romo over threw it out of bounds. Instead of you guys getting the ball back, we probably have it inside your 40. Next, look at the two fumbles that the Cowboys easily should have recovered but of course magically fall into the giants' laps. First, Devon Thomas muffs the pump that falls directly into Alan Ball's stomach, but of course he can't control it and the Giants fall back on it. This was at midfield, and the Giants ended up scoring a touchdown. The next fumble was by Jacobs when you guys were driving. Sensabaugh has it in his hands and tries to scoop and score, instead kicking it with his own feet and it falls into Eli's waiting arms 15 yards behind the LOS and the giants eventually score on the bradshaw touchdown run.

So that's that. Your telling me that had to do with mental toughness? I'm not trying to make excuses here but COME ON. If the Cowboys just simply fall on those two fumbles they may go into halftime with a 14-7 lead. Instead it's 21-0 Giants. And yes, when the Cowboys brought it to 21-14 with 11 minutes left and it's 3rd and 9, Eli heaves a bomb to Cruz that anyone on this planet who isn't blind could bat down, but of course Scandrick has no ball skills and allows the completion, basically ending the game.

Now, onto the Giants side of this "mental toughness" nonsense. What about 2010, when the Giants had the playoffs and everything ripe for the taking? Come week 10, the lowly 1-7, John Kitna led Cowboys come into New York and bent the Giants over like a little school girl, causing them to lose 4 of their last 8 and miss the playoffs? Where was the mental toughness there?

It really is all based on the situation. It's not like the Giants were some juggernaut in their super bowl wins or any season over the past 5 years besides 2008. They had 2 nice runs in the playoffs, with some of the best luck in the history of professional sports.

Back to the main point, I'm not taking anything away from the Giants but I really think the mental toughness stuff is really overblown. The better team wins. That's why the good teams are called "mentally tough." People only say that garbage because you can't be proved wrong about it. Nothing pains me more than when all of the former Patriots who are now talking heads (Bruschi, Heath Evans, Rodney Harrison) gush about how they are so mentally tough and that will be the difference...

On to your assessment of free agency, I'll give you a pass because you aren't a Cowboys fan, because they did exactly what you suggested we should do. They didn't go out and get one or two players thinking they were 1 or 2 players from a super bowl. They went out and got 7 quality players who are all upgrades over the people they previously had and are SIGNIFICANTLY YOUNGER.

Carr is 26, Newman was 34. Carter is 24, Bradie was 31. Connor is 27, Brooking was 37. Bernadeau is 26, Holland was 32. Livings is 30, Kosier was 33. Orton is 30, Kitna was 39. Pool is 28, Elam was 31. Vickers is 28, Fiammetta was 26.

So the only player we signed who is older is Vickers, but it's the fullback position, he's a freak, and he is both a performance and durability upgrade over Fiammetta. Every other player we signed is at least 5 years younger than the player they are replacing (besides Livings for Kosier), and they all should be upgrades. Sure they might have overpaid a bit for Carr, but they needed a corner and sometimes you need to overpay to get better.

They aren't all world beaters, but again they are upgrades, are all younger and better athletes, and we still have a top 15 pick in every round to get even better.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 04-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me ask you something. Why is it that every time you make your arguments about both teams, the Giants are always super lucky, and the Cowboys are always unlucky?

If that's the case, then doesn't that completely negate your statements that the better team wins?

And if that's the case, and the better team wins, if the Giants won the SB 2 out of the last 4 years, doesn't that make them the better team?

You can't have it both ways.

You say that "if Scandrick had any ball skills he bats that down"

Ok...so how is that lucky? That means your player wasn't good. And if he wasn't good, then you agree with me that the contract Jones gave him was not a good contract (I'm not saying he's a bad player, just a bad contract).

You can't sit here and claim everything the Giants did was luck, and everything the Cowboys did was bad luck then tell me that better teams win.

Bc if you truly believe the better team wins, then you wouldn't bring "luck" into the equation. If your players aren't recovering fumbles, it's bc they aren't getting to the ball. If your players aren't causing fumbles, it's bc they're not swatting the ball.

If your qb can't hit an open WR bc he's getting hit, that's bc the pass rush got there. That's not luck.

The ball bounces the way it bounces, and every single team that played this season can point to 2 or 3 plays in the game that they "blew"

That doesn't mean they are unlucky, they just didn't execute. If you feel mental toughness is cliche, then I don't see how you can not say the same thing about luck.

I'm a firm believer that you make your own luck in football. Situational awareness is coached.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Let me ask you something. Why is it that every time you make your arguments about both teams, the Giants are always super lucky, and the Cowboys are always unlucky?

If that's the case, then doesn't that completely negate your statements that the better team wins?

And if that's the case, and the better team wins, if the Giants won the SB 2 out of the last 4 years, doesn't that make them the better team?

You can't have it both ways.

You say that "if Scandrick had any ball skills he bats that down"

Ok...so how is that lucky? That means your player wasn't good. And if he wasn't good, then you agree with me that the contract Jones gave him was not a good contract (I'm not saying he's a bad player, just a bad contract).

You can't sit here and claim everything the Giants did was luck, and everything the Cowboys did was bad luck then tell me that better teams win.

Bc if you truly believe the better team wins, then you wouldn't bring "luck" into the equation. If your players aren't recovering fumbles, it's bc they aren't getting to the ball. If your players aren't causing fumbles, it's bc they're not swatting the ball.

If your qb can't hit an open WR bc he's getting hit, that's bc the pass rush got there. That's not luck.

The ball bounces the way it bounces, and every single team that played this season can point to 2 or 3 plays in the game that they "blew"

That doesn't mean they are unlucky, they just didn't execute. If you feel mental toughness is cliche, then I don't see how you can not say the same thing about luck.

I'm a firm believer that you make your own luck in football. Situational awareness is coached.
You make valid points, but if you watched every Cowboy game this year you could realistically say they should've been 12-4. If you don't think the Giants have been loved by the football God's then I don't know what to say to that. The way those fumbles bounced for the Giants in week 17 were luck. That's not execution, the pigskin bounces where it bounces, period. There's no way you can justifiably say those fumbles bouncing back to the giants was anything other than a lucky bounce.

Anyway, take week 1, Cowboys-Jets... your saying thats all not terrible luck? Now you could say it's bad execution but come on.. How many times does a fumble on the 1 yard line and a blocked punt happen in the NFL? Let alone two in the same game in the 4th quarter..

You also said you can't have it both ways.. so what about the Cowboys comeback against the 49ers in San Fran in week 2? They were down double digits the whole games, Romo broke ribs and punctured a lung and Jon Kitna had to play for the better part of the 3rd quarter, Felix Jones got hurt in the 1st quarter, DeMarco Murray didn't even know the playbook because he was hurt all of training camp, Dez was out, Miles was limping the entire 2nd half and didn't even play in OT, and this was all against the hardest hitting team in the league and a team that turned out to be in their conference championship. I don't care if know one thought the 49ers were good then, they were still the same team.

All i'm saying is that it's all subjective. We can all bend things like mental toughness to help or hurt our argument when talking about a team.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lies. Baltimore will never falter and Ray Lewis & Ed Reed will play forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know what's crazy? Ray Lewis turns 37 next month. It seems like just yesterday that the Browns...errr Ravens, drafted him.

Last edited by WCH : 04-02-2012 at 11:18 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be responsive if you posted about the Packers, BB. Im surprised you didnt write more about anything NFC North related. Good read as always.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You make valid points, but if you watched every Cowboy game this year you could realistically say they should've been 12-4. If you don't think the Giants have been loved by the football God's then I don't know what to say to that. The way those fumbles bounced for the Giants in week 17 were luck. That's not execution, the pigskin bounces where it bounces, period. There's no way you can justifiably say those fumbles bouncing back to the giants was anything other than a lucky bounce.

Anyway, take week 1, Cowboys-Jets... your saying thats all not terrible luck? Now you could say it's bad execution but come on.. How many times does a fumble on the 1 yard line and a blocked punt happen in the NFL? Let alone two in the same game in the 4th quarter..

You also said you can't have it both ways.. so what about the Cowboys comeback against the 49ers in San Fran in week 2? They were down double digits the whole games, Romo broke ribs and punctured a lung and Jon Kitna had to play for the better part of the 3rd quarter, Felix Jones got hurt in the 1st quarter, DeMarco Murray didn't even know the playbook because he was hurt all of training camp, Dez was out, Miles was limping the entire 2nd half and didn't even play in OT, and this was all against the hardest hitting team in the league and a team that turned out to be in their conference championship. I don't care if know one thought the 49ers were good then, they were still the same team.

All i'm saying is that it's all subjective. We can all bend things like mental toughness to help or hurt our argument when talking about a team.
Tony Romo throwing a pick six was just super unlucky in that Jets game.... nothing to do with a terrible decision. Good teams don't fumble at the one or get their punts blocked, that isn't luck thats execution and fundamentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is the debate going on so long? Teams do get lucky sometimes, but for most teams it evens out over just the course of the season, much less multiple seasons. While we got lucky in some of our wins we also go unlucky in many of our losses where I can point to a play or two that would've completely changed those games. The way you deal with the things that are truly out of your control matter and the teams that are consistently luckier are that way because of what they're doing. 2 superbowls out of 4 with a great season pre-plax-shooting-himself is a really strong stretch and luck doesn't even come close to explaining it as the giants have faced plenty of bad luck alongside the good.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty certain this is the same guy who said the NFL is fixed anyway so Idk why I bothered. But his argument about luck and his example of the Jets game just brought the whole rage out in me. I watched that game so happy as a Pats fan going into the 4th, and it was a monumental collapse by the Cowboys- it wasn't luck. They just collapsed.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I'm pretty certain this is the same guy who said the NFL is fixed anyway so Idk why I bothered. But his argument about luck and his example of the Jets game just brought the whole rage out in me. I watched that game so happy as a Pats fan going into the 4th, and it was a monumental collapse by the Cowboys- it wasn't luck. They just collapsed.
If you don't think professional sports are fixed then you live in a fantasy land. Is our economy in good shape right now too buddy?

I just think somebody's mad because the Patriots aren't going anywhere for a while. The NFL is going to be such a better place with the Pats being trash again.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 04-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who cares about repeating? The media, esp. NFL network keep bringing it up as if that's very common in the free agency era. That's an exception. If a team can do that, good job especially in the free agency era. I know we are not going to repeat. After that, it really isn't much of a discussion, so don't know why the media talks about it like this is common.

It comes down to Perry Fewell. If he keeps his head out of his butt, we will be very good. If his butt gets lonely and he goes back to putting his head up his butt once again, then god knows, hold on for another wild adventure at MetLife Stadium.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
If you don't think professional sports are fixed then you live in a fantasy land. Is our economy in good shape right now too buddy?

I just think somebody's mad because the Patriots aren't going anywhere for a while. The NFL is going to be such a better place with the Pats being trash again.

Clearly that is the issue at hand here, me being angry about the Pats going nowhere and not your argument. Great job arguing your points by the way.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Lies. Baltimore will never falter and Ray Lewis & Ed Reed will play forever.
Ed did just say that 4 or 5 more years isn't out of the realm of possibility...Strong words from a guy who was considering retirement a year ago.

I think this is Ray's last year though, almost assuredly. He wasn't quite as strong last season as he was the year before, but he's still playing at a remarkably high level for a guy as old as he is. I'd be hard pressed to name 10 ILBs who are definitively better then him at this point in his career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Ed did just say that 4 or 5 more years isn't out of the realm of possibility...Strong words from a guy who was considering retirement a year ago.

I think this is Ray's last year though, almost assuredly. He wasn't quite as strong last season as he was the year before, but he's still playing at a remarkably high level for a guy as old as he is. I'd be hard pressed to name 10 ILBs who are definitively better then him at this point in his career.
It's difficult to find 10 ILBs who people don't immediately **** on and call pile jumpers. If you're not Patrick Willis you're either old and washed up (Ray, Urlacher) or you're a pile jumper who tackles RBs 5 yards downfield.

No other exceptions exist.

Except for maybe the ILB of the occasional "flavor of the week" team. This offseason, that seems to be anyone associated with the Buffalo Bills. Did you know that literally everyone on the Bills is underrated and is actually top 5 at their position? (And it's mostly non-Bills fans saying this kind of ****.)

That seems to happen to a different team every year. Last year I think it was the Lions. Literally every Lion was underrated and one of the best at his position.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Clearly that is the issue at hand here, me being angry about the Pats going nowhere and not your argument. Great job arguing your points by the way.
Ha, thanks for the negative rep. You're accusing me of not arguing my points? When I suggest some NFL games are fixed you laugh without anything to back up your claims...

Just because no one has been busted yet or the league has kept in under wraps doesn't mean games haven't been fixed before. If you don't think there is business behind the scenes in multiple games throughout an NFL season then you really are a fool. I'm not saying Super Bowl winners etc. are predetermined because obviously that isn't the case, but stuff definitely goes on.

Huge scandals have been busted in every other sport, and football is the sport impacted most by referees and you're telling me it's completely clean at all times? I don't understand why you can't comprehend this.. it's a pretty simple concept.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

So if the NFL is rigged how are the Cowboys unlucky?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So if the NFL is rigged how are the Cowboys unlucky?
It has nothing to do with the Cowboys at all. Are you telling me that the millions of garbage touchdowns and field goals at the end of games that magically cover the spread are just a coincidence?

You're smarter than that, aren't you?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL would really benefit from the Cowboys being good too... I'd have to think the fix goes their way....

And they still blow it. Damn.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote