Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.
Default Franchise Tag

Should teams have the power to use the franchise tag on a player without his consent?
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yes, b/c that puts the teams in control. If they had to have the players' permission, it would put said players in control and it would likely never be approved.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears9654 View Post
Yes, b/c that puts the teams in control. If they had to have the players' permission, it would put said players in control and it would likely never be approved.
And make the tag worthless.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's in the labor contract, which the players union agreed to.

That's like asking if fireman should be able to put out fires.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think a better uestion would be:

is the franchise tag fair?

in which the answer would be no

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1690 View Post
i think a better uestion would be:

is the franchise tag fair?

in which the answer would be no
Define fair.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Define fair.
Define define.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Define fair.
i mean is it fair for the players that are free agents to not seek a big money contract from another team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
i mean is it fair for the players that are free agents to not seek a big money contract from another team?
They are part of the union, it's a collective agreement. They know this. They have the option to sign longterm contracts with the teams they are on knowing that they likely will be tagged. Not to mention they are still making multi-million dollar deals, and they don't even have to show up till week 10 to make the money.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804 View Post
Define define.
Define "define define."

thaaaaaat's amore

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is very fair from the team's/owner's/GM's/Coaching Staff's end, maybe a bit more fiar than from the player's end!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

Quote:
They are part of the union, it's a collective agreement. They know this. They have the option to sign longterm contracts with the teams they are on knowing that they likely will be tagged. Not to mention they are still making multi-million dollar deals, and they don't even have to show up till week 10 to make the money.

Sounds fair enough to me.
I already have enough negative rating btw. No I don't think it's fair.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It kinda sucks for the player that they won't no where they will be the next year but the money is good give and take.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post

who cares whether or not it's fair? the player's agreed to it in return for some other concession in the labor agreement that isn't fair to the owners and teams. maybe we should just suspend the entire labor agreement. i mean, realistically the most "fair" thing is a completely free market, wherein the packers would have to hope they have a good GM and the redskins could potentially buy the entire pro bowl team. but at least the players could sign with whomever they want when their contracts are up.

stupid question.
No. You're the idiot.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

of course the bears fans are defending the tag. With out it no way Briggs is in chicago. At least this way they may get something for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yes it's up to the team not the player.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
of course the bears fans are defending the tag. With out it no way Briggs is in chicago. At least this way they may get something for him.
I'm not "defending" it becuase it's not something that needs to be defended. It has nothing to do with me being a Bears fan. If the league suspends Tank for 8 games or even a year I'd be fine with it, it's their league policy that they agreed to.

It's like asking if it's fair that you can't watch every game on television without buying Sunday ticket. Sure it sucks, but that's the way the business world works.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

BF51 and njx nailed it. The Players Association agreed to the franchise tag being a part of the collective bargaining agreement, so they have no room to cry over spilled milk.

I find it extremely hard to believe someone making the average of the top five players at their position is being treated unfairly. Furthermore, most of these big contracts are all fluff and will never, evvvver pay out.

And they still have every ability to seek a long term deal with any team that they want to. The team is just protected with the right to first refusal and compensation in the event that they decline to match. If Lance Briggs or Asante Samuel or Charles Grant want to go out and sign a mega-contract somewhere else, they have the right and ability. They find out very quickly, though, how much they are worth when the team can't simply throw money at them and have them for free.

Walter Jones is a perfect example. The guy was franchised, what, three years in a row before he signed his long term deal? He ended up making more off of that then he ever could have dreamed of had he signed a long term deal from the start. Boo hoo if he had to play hard for three straight years to maintain a level that would make him maximum dollars. That is the way it should be, anyway.

The thing these guys don't seem to understand is that job security is a privilege, it is not a right. Sure, everyone wants to have job security and wants to make the most money they can. Unfortunately, like everyone else in the real world, these guys that get slapped with the franchise tag have to follow procedure. If they play hard enough, they will get their money. If they get hurt, they still got a lot of money from the franchise contract, and they wouldn't have gotten all their money off of the long term deal because if it was that bad that they can't play anymore, they are going to get cut.

These players are assets to their current teams. The Bears, the Patriots, the Saints, whoever chooses to franchise a player, have invested a great deal of time, training, coaching, draft pick(s) and money into these players and considering they think so highly of them they are willing to pay them as one of the highest paid at their position, they are obviously vital cogs to their teams success. The team has every right to protect their asset.

And that's just the way the ball bounces...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would think that it is fairly fair for them to get the average of the top 5 contracts at their position. I get the whole "what if I get injured" thing, but they are getting paid regardless and the franchise tag does not stop them seeking a contract elsewhere, it just protects the team that has put the development time into them.

I like it, realistically its a huge hit for the team as well.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the players reps signed it then they must think its fair, and there's is the opinion that matters.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Franchise players are not under contract until they sign the franchise tender. This means that a player given the franchise tag could theoretically sit on his ass for nearly the whole season, show up and sign it (anytime before Week 10, as was said earlier in this thread), and not receive any fines from the team. If anything, it's unfair to the guy who's under a long term contract and is unhappy. Even then, it's still stupid. This whole thread is stupid. Just to reiterate, the Players Association agreed to this.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
B-Dawk
Veteran

B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not "defending" it becuase it's not something that needs to be defended. It has nothing to do with me being a Bears fan. If the league suspends Tank for 8 games or even a year I'd be fine with it, it's their league policy that they agreed to.

It's like asking if it's fair that you can't watch every game on television without buying Sunday ticket. Sure it sucks, but that's the way the business world works.
Sunday Ticket isn't fair but because it is only on direct tv which is not available to everyone.

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)
B-Dawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawk View Post
Sunday Ticket isn't fair but because it is only on direct tv which is not available to everyone.
NFL Network is not available to me where I live. I'd love to be able to get it, but I can't. You don't hear me bitching.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 04-11-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the franchise tag at all, and either do most of the guys who it is slapped on. Players want security in this type of sport and it takes that away.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I don't like the franchise tag at all, and either do most of the guys who it is slapped on. Players want security in this type of sport and it takes that away.
Yeah, cause you know, getting the average salary of the top 5 highest paid guys at your position just sucks. Please, that one year contract sets the franchised player and his family up pretty comfortably. So they could get hurt or play poorly and miss out on that big contract the next offseason? Same could happen under contract, they just get cut. These guys are getting paid far too well to get any sympathy from me. Besides, they DID agree on the Franchise rules.

Sig by jkpigskin