Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Dan_Steele
Rookie

Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan_Steele is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Seattle Seahawks...Who is running this team?

I'll be the first to admit, I am big fan of a ton of the work Pete Carroll has done since he arrived in Seattle (i.e. Marshawn Lynch and Mike Williams' revival, finding late round gems like Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin, and I'm happy he up and traded Aaron Curry).

However, for the life of me I cannot figure out what they are doing with the QB position. First, they trade away several draft picks for Charlie Whitehurst in the hopes he'll be their franchise signal caller...FAIL #1. The next year they make up for their mistake by adding Tarvaris Jackson??? I do not think there ever was a soul on this earth who believed he was the answer to their QB issues. Lo and behold, the prophecy was fulfilled after a season in which he looked absolutely hopeless behind center they have given up. I'll give the guy credit, its not like that offensive line was the best and its not like he had the best weapons play with but I don't think anybody in their right mind believed, even for an instance, that this guy had winning potential...FAIL #2. Now the Seahawks have signed Matt Flynn, and for a player with his potential the contract was pretty safe, at least for a QB. He is exactly the type of player Carroll needs to run his style of offense and I am interested to see how he does. Best case scenario he is Mark Brunell, worst case he is AJ Feely...lets just table this one for now and give the Seahawks (and Flynn) the benefit of the doubt.

However, here is where my question lies, if there is any merit to the Hawks' love for Ryan Tannehill why even sign Flynn in the first place? In no way was Flynn brought on to be a place holder for a young guy, being still a young guy himself. Although it is becoming clear that Tannehill will be long gone by #12, would it really have cost them more than they are willing to give up if they were to pull off a trade with a team in the Top 10? IMO, you can never overpay for a franchise signal caller, and with the rookie wage scale the way it is, the financial risk would not be debilitating if he is to be a bust. Also, if they are indeed as enamored as much as they say, why not let Miami go ahead and sign him in the first place? The only team you really have to compete with is the Chiefs...maybe. Its looking more and more likely that Cleveland will give McCoy all the weapons in the world and allow him one more season to prove himself.

As a football move having Flynn already locked up is wise. It doesn't force your hand or make you desperate to get a young guy and force him to carry the franchise. As a business move it is baffling. Why sign a young guy to be your franchise signal caller and then go ahead and draft another QB with a relatively high pick before your new investment even hits the practice field?

Seahawks fans help me out here. Look I am very well aware this could be a smokescreen, but for debate's sake lets just say its the truth, please tell me how having both of these guys makes any logical sense?
Dan_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote