Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think they'll take Upshaw for the exact same concerns you mentioned. He's not versatile enough, think his upside is a poor man's Brian Thomas. Would be fine on the second day, but I want somebody who can be more in the first round. You never know until draft day though.

Rich Cimini recently updated his list of players he thinks the Jets might take at #16. He's been money the last few years and his lists of 5 or 6 guys have always included the guy the Jets have taken. This year's most recent list has Quinton Coples, Mark Barron, Dontari Poe, Courtney Upshaw, and Michael Floyd. It's an interesting list to me because you've got two guys who are major boom or bust prospects (Coples, Poe), one guy with a low ceiling high floor who doesn't appear to be a good fit (Upshaw), and two guys who kind of make sense but seem likely to be off the board (Barron, Floyd).

Cimini also mentions that he thinks they plan on taking the best defensive player available, and tosses out that the six that he thinks they'd like are Claiborne, Cox, Kuechly, Ingram, Poe, and Coples. The reason he lists Poe and Coples on the list instead of the other four is that he thinks those are the two who are most likely to be on the board at 16. He also manages to slip in Whitney Mercilus and mention that they've shown recent interest in him, so his 5 person list really mentions 10 players, though of all of them Claiborne is basically a lock not to be available and I think Cox is close to it as well. Certainly seems like they'll stick to their prior BPA strategy, although i'm not huge on the boom or bust guys. It'll be interesting to see what his final list looks like.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Please, someone assure me that the Jets are not going to take Upshaw with their pick! I keep seeing too many mocks that have Upshaw going to the Jets. With all the players that have positives and hype coming out around the area of the 16th pick, Upshaw is not one of them. Recent sources through SportsNews and ESPN have Upshaw dropping to the 20 to 40 range, "over concerns about his edge pass-rush ability" and "teams worry he can't cover". I feel like this would have bust written all over it! The Jets need an impact rookie, and can't miss on this one.

I am fine with Jets taking Upshaw or another pass rusher with a questionable package in the 2nd round. It is not uncommon that rush OLB falls out of the first round due to a lack of hip flexibility to play space. All we care is to have someone that is registering 8-11 sacks annually.

2nd round is a lot of cheaper than 1st round when it comes to money for performance situation.

If we concern about hip flexibility for rush OLB then Chandler Jones should be the one Jets take in the first round. Jones will suffer some serious negative media down in the season.

I want Bruce Irvin for either 2nd or 3rd round after all "top" rush OLB are taken but I can accept one of any "Boom or Bust 1st round" OLB in the 2nd round. Good value to gamble on having a full package OLB and it will be a nice value if he sacks regularly

For 16th overall selection, Jets can't afford to gamble one at all. Not even Ingram.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I don't think they'll take Upshaw for the exact same concerns you mentioned. He's not versatile enough, think his upside is a poor man's Brian Thomas. Would be fine on the second day, but I want somebody who can be more in the first round. You never know until draft day though.

Rich Cimini recently updated his list of players he thinks the Jets might take at #16. He's been money the last few years and his lists of 5 or 6 guys have always included the guy the Jets have taken. This year's most recent list has Quinton Coples, Mark Barron, Dontari Poe, Courtney Upshaw, and Michael Floyd. It's an interesting list to me because you've got two guys who are major boom or bust prospects (Coples, Poe), one guy with a low ceiling high floor who doesn't appear to be a good fit (Upshaw), and two guys who kind of make sense but seem likely to be off the board (Barron, Floyd).

Cimini also mentions that he thinks they plan on taking the best defensive player available, and tosses out that the six that he thinks they'd like are Claiborne, Cox, Kuechly, Ingram, Poe, and Coples. The reason he lists Poe and Coples on the list instead of the other four is that he thinks those are the two who are most likely to be on the board at 16. He also manages to slip in Whitney Mercilus and mention that they've shown recent interest in him, so his 5 person list really mentions 10 players, though of all of them Claiborne is basically a lock not to be available and I think Cox is close to it as well. Certainly seems like they'll stick to their prior BPA strategy, although i'm not huge on the boom or bust guys. It'll be interesting to see what his final list looks like.
Clairborne going to Jets. I doubt it but I surely hope it happens because it is a good chance that Jets find a trading down partner.

Barron and Floyd are ideal targets so that means Jets could trade up to get whoever is last availability. I don't want to see Jets to sit back for 3 years in row.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Kendall Wright's fat percentage is 16 percentage and benched a mere 4 times. That is good enough for 3rd round. Think Jets can toughen him up with pro conditioning?

Patriots are going to try to burn Jets' picks by suggesting that Mike Barron is their target. Not cool.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Wright in the first but the game tape speaks for itself. The guy was fantastic this year.

And Derza, it's interesting that Cimini didn't mention Ingram in the 5 or 6.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I don't want Wright in the first but the game tape speaks for itself. The guy was fantastic this year.

And Derza, it's interesting that Cimini didn't mention Ingram in the 5 or 6.
Yeah I know they brought Wright in for a visit. I think in the first it's obviously a mistake as you said, but they're doing their homework in case he slips and he's there in the second. I've got major concerns about him, namely how much RGIII influenced his production/numbers, but if he's there in the second it'd be tough to say no.

And I think it's kind of interesting, but at the same time Cimini's probably jerking people around a bit. He's going to write another one I'm sure before the draft, and I'd bet you that Ingram's going to be on that list. He needed to write this one so he'd have some built in changes. I wouldn't be surprised if he took off Upshaw and/or Floyd and added Ingram, and possibly Mercilus.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read this report on Wright today. No thanks in the 1st round.

(According to Pro Football Weekly, Baylor WR Kendall Wright is "parked in the third round" on a number of teams' draft boards after an unimpressive offseason.
There were rumors of an offseason weight gain for Wright, and his forty time at the Combine was slower than anticipated. "Randall Cobb was a lot better," one NFL evaluator said. "Wright is nowhere near as good with the ball in his hands and (Cobb) lasted 'til the back of the second (round). People are getting snookered (by Wright)." Wright managed only four bench-press reps, and Pro Football Weekly reports his body fat was 16 percent. Per PFW, it's "one of the highest percentages for a receiver in the past decade." )
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm loving what I hear about Donta Hightower...I WANT HIM. either at 16 or a trade down. Can play inside or out. Start the discussion pros/cons.

-Hightower
-Harrison Smith
-LeMichael James

Dream Scenario

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
I'm loving what I hear about Donta Hightower...I WANT HIM. either at 16 or a trade down. Can play inside or out. Start the discussion pros/cons.

-Hightower
-Harrison Smith
-LeMichael James

Dream Scenario

Hightower should not be a member of top 20 so trading down for him is fine with me. Bart Scott's weight is already down to 235, give or take so I don't see them take ILB in the first round this moment.

Jets should not try to get "versatile" player in the first round because that kind of versatile player will not give us a 10 sacks annually. I think it is a wasted value, anyway. I like him as a downhill pass rushers but I wont be surprised that Jets would want him to lose weight in order to become 3 or 4 down players. Playing coverage against experienced or better players with speed will be problematic for Hightower if he translates from college to pro the exact way.

Smith is no objection to me but after media, scouting rumors and some fans went crazy for having Mark Barron at 16th. Not sure if Smith and Barron holds value equally.

I like Barron and Smith to play FS as a stopgap for a couple years. SS will be perfect for Jets.

Why James?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Because he's an underrated player who produced as a HR hitter at Oregon. We need a 3rd down back and I'm not sold on mcknight. He never HR ability on either level. 3rd rd value helps the offense that will run more. I don't think anyone who's not a homer would say I'm absolutely comfortable with Green Powell and McKnight as my backfield.

Also Hightower does belong in the top 20. He was the captain and playcaller of the best defense in college football. Bart isn't 235 and if he is he shouldnt be in our system thats wayy too small. He lost 15 lbs from 260 which he reported ballooned up to during last season. hes at his playing weight, but his replacement isnt on the roster. And versatility is HUGE in Ryans system they generate pressure from the inside and outside. Robinson played DE OLB and ILB at Bama. He's big young and fast, if not for a knee injury in 09 he'd be the first bama defender off the board and the most productive. It would spell Scott at times prolong his career and create a dangerous inside for years to come, while at the same time allowing Rex to put Harris Scott and Hightower on the field at the same time. Watch Hightower's highlights he's better in lateral coverage than upshaw.

Like I said Harrison is a dream scenario. he wont be there.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I dont recall Scott weighed more than 250 in his entire pro career. Always close to 245 than 250. He lost weights to get rid of fat and then planning to gaining some muscles on with pro conditioning. His weight should be back to his usual 242-245 without fat. Lockout may be the reason he gathered unnecessary fat due to not enough pro conditioning. Next year, Scott should revert to his old self.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read the BDPA report as well, and it seems like were going to get who the Cowboys and Chiefs dont take. Im assuming one will take decastro and it its the chiefs the cowboys will take either barron or poe and if not the chiefs take poe or kuechly. Barron probably goes to eagles if cowboys dont take him so Poe or kuechly are most likely. Would absolutely love Kuechly, even though the direct need isnt there, scott is likely to be traded/released, making cap room to fill a need. Would also love Poe, the ceiling is high with him even though theres a huge bust risk

Coples could also fall to 16 in which case he'd clearly be bdpa but not sure if he can adjust to becoming a 2gap run stopper in the 3-4, he definitely wouldnt be OLB.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Because he's an underrated player who produced as a HR hitter at Oregon. We need a 3rd down back and I'm not sold on mcknight. He never HR ability on either level. 3rd rd value helps the offense that will run more. I don't think anyone who's not a homer would say I'm absolutely comfortable with Green Powell and McKnight as my backfield.

Also Hightower does belong in the top 20. He was the captain and playcaller of the best defense in college football. Bart isn't 235 and if he is he shouldnt be in our system thats wayy too small. He lost 15 lbs from 260 which he reported ballooned up to during last season. hes at his playing weight, but his replacement isnt on the roster. And versatility is HUGE in Ryans system they generate pressure from the inside and outside. Robinson played DE OLB and ILB at Bama. He's big young and fast, if not for a knee injury in 09 he'd be the first bama defender off the board and the most productive. It would spell Scott at times prolong his career and create a dangerous inside for years to come, while at the same time allowing Rex to put Harris Scott and Hightower on the field at the same time. Watch Hightower's highlights he's better in lateral coverage than upshaw.

Like I said Harrison is a dream scenario. he wont be there.
Fyi, speed change of pace back isnt the same thing as 3rd down back. James is servicable in the pass game. He is a homerun hitter indeed but his hands and blocking are definitely not that of a 3rd round back. Not saying he wouldnt be a solid mid round pick, just not what LT was by a long shot.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

According to Pro Football Weekly, the Jets are likely to target a WR who can stretch the field in the draft. Seems like it'll be somebody outside of round 1, and they're looking for a good size to speed ratio.

I don't see how they're going to find a big, fast guy who's ready to play right away outside of the first round (not that I think that they should draft one in the first, but guys like that will be gone), but the fact that they're looking for a stretch the field type is music to my ears. Last year the receivers just didn't separate well and Holmes is much better with a receiver across from him who demands safety attention.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
According to Pro Football Weekly, the Jets are likely to target a WR who can stretch the field in the draft. Seems like it'll be somebody outside of round 1, and they're looking for a good size to speed ratio.

I don't see how they're going to find a big, fast guy who's ready to play right away outside of the first round (not that I think that they should draft one in the first, but guys like that will be gone), but the fact that they're looking for a stretch the field type is music to my ears. Last year the receivers just didn't separate well and Holmes is much better with a receiver across from him who demands safety attention.

It is hard to find the ready one, indeed. Tommy Streeter, Michael Calvin, Toney Clemons, Tyler Shoemaker and perhaps Stephen Hill are ideal for non first round WR.

Jets could draft either of them and sign Braylon Edwards. Trading Dustin Keller for higher pick to make room in salary cap for Edwards and sign UDFA blocker. That would work if Jeff Cumberland is fully ready in health and pro skill. Or give Josh Baker a shot at TE.

Depend on what team thinks about Dustin Keller vs Coby Fleener. Jets could net a good value in return. Rams' 2nd round pick? something like that.

Dunno, I was at a loss when Tannebaum decided to keep Hunter's 2.5m.

If Jets willingly give up the greater size/speed combo for speedy compact WR then it should be no problem. We will see.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
It is hard to find the ready one, indeed. Tommy Streeter, Michael Calvin, Toney Clemons, Tyler Shoemaker and perhaps Stephen Hill are ideal for non first round WR.

Jets could draft either of them and sign Braylon Edwards. Trading Dustin Keller for higher pick to make room in salary cap for Edwards and sign UDFA blocker. That would work if Jeff Cumberland is fully ready in health and pro skill. Or give Josh Baker a shot at TE.

Depend on what team thinks about Dustin Keller vs Coby Fleener. Jets could net a good value in return. Rams' 2nd round pick? something like that.

Dunno, I was at a loss when Tannebaum decided to keep Hunter's 2.5m.

If Jets willingly give up the greater size/speed combo for speedy compact WR then it should be no problem. We will see.
I do think Hill's going in the first round, but that's a solid list of size/speed guys. Don't think any of them are ready though.

Signing Edwards would be smart (though they'd be smart to have another option on the table), I don't think trading Keller would be though. For one, there are a ton of question marks at the TE spot outside of him, not sure anybody would actually step up and be a legitimate starter. And more importantly, given Sanchez is the starter (for now at least) trading his favorite receiver and the one he's most comfortable with isn't a great idea for trying to help him be successful. In fact if they trade Keller, I think it's a sign that they're looking for Tebow to start long term.

Was shocked about keeping Hunter as well. There are some rumors they're looking to move veterans for cap flexibility, wonder if Hunter is one of those veterans.

Also agree that they'd have an easier time finding a field stretcher if height wasn't so much of a concern. Guys like Givens from Wake Forest, Adams and Wright from Arkansas, and Jenkins from Illinois could be 2nd-3rd round options. I know they visited with Givens and Adams.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A stretch the field WR is a must for the Jets. But I agree that finding one outside the 1st round would be tough. During the Jets Predraft News Conference Tannenbaum did say that the door was still open on a Braylon Edwards return.

With less than a week until the draft the news and smokescreens are flying around. But I did find it interesting that during the conference when asked about where the strenght of the draft was, Bradway started with RB's and mentioned of course, Richardson. Then today I read, "ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes the Jets first priority in round one of Thursday's draft will be to explore trading up for Alabama RB Trent Richardson." Can't imagine what the Jets would have to give up to move up high enough to get him. While having a star RB would be awesome, not sure it would be worth the haul when we have so many needs.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I dont mean Jets should move Keller but given the situation between Sparano, Sanchez, Tebow and Keller, it is not exactly closed rectangle.

Sparano misused TE for blocking job so I am not sure Keller is strong or consistent at that but if Jets could not find any WR that stretch then I suggest Jets would use Keller for that part. If Jets find someone but Keller is the price to pay for a certain WR then I have to go for it.

Blocking TE is easy to find and UDFA is filthy cheap.

Tebow will be used as a position that is not QB. 2 QBs or 3 RBs in the backfield?

Losing Keller will be blown away for Sanchez, indeed but Sparano plans to throw football a little so who knows.

Moving Keller will create some cap room for whatever reason. Scott stays put. Pitouita or Hunter may be cap causality as low level veteran (sort of) but I am not sure if it will cover Edwards' price.

Trading up Richardson may requires to clear extra cap room. It also burns few good picks which I am not a fan. I may be okay with slower Richardson in Doug Martin in the low part of the first round if Jets are committed to taking RB in the first round.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So what do you think about him today reporting that they're looking to deal up for Richardson?

Despite something I'm sure we agree on (the fact that this team cannot afford to trade up because doing so has made the bottom of their roster terrible - they have no quality depth), here are the reasons why I think it's possible:

A) The player they'd get at No. 16 is going to be heavily flawed. Each pass rusher/DL has huge warts as prospects. Except Barron, who will be gone.

B) The "**** it" mentality of this regime. They aren't afraid to make big moves. And they are at a crossroads. They are not building some sort of deep dynasty and can delude (maybe not?) themselves into thinking that yet again missing out on opportunities to draft role players won't kill them.

C) Trent Richardson was the missing piece. I said it all along - the offense had a myriad of issues from QB to OC to OL to WR but the MAIN reason they struggled so much was because they lacked the signature running game they had in the past. I blamed Greene. The team went 8-8 with Greene, who I believe was the main culprit for the offensive putridity. THEORETICALLY, improving that one spot with a HUGE upgrade, may be just what the team needs to get back to AFCCG status (and over the hump). They had a bad year last year, but not terrible, at 8-8. I understand that the defense wasn't great either, but adding a question-marked riddled pass-rusher at No. 16 and some other decent talents later may not make nearly as much as an impact as a guy who could potentially restore ground-and-pound, which helps, not only the offense, but the defense staying off the field, and the overall culture of the team.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I dont mean Jets should move Keller but given the situation between Sparano, Sanchez, Tebow and Keller, it is not exactly closed rectangle.

Sparano misused TE for blocking job so I am not sure Keller is strong or consistent at that but if Jets could not find any WR that stretch then I suggest Jets would use Keller for that part. If Jets find someone but Keller is the price to pay for a certain WR then I have to go for it.

Blocking TE is easy to find and UDFA is filthy cheap.

Tebow will be used as a position that is not QB. 2 QBs or 3 RBs in the backfield?

Losing Keller will be blown away for Sanchez, indeed but Sparano plans to throw football a little so who knows.

Moving Keller will create some cap room for whatever reason. Scott stays put. Pitouita or Hunter may be cap causality as low level veteran (sort of) but I am not sure if it will cover Edwards' price.

Trading up Richardson may requires to clear extra cap room. It also burns few good picks which I am not a fan. I may be okay with slower Richardson in Doug Martin in the low part of the first round if Jets are committed to taking RB in the first round.
Jets have plenty of cap room, so I don't think that's really going to be a consideration in terms of trading someone like Keller. Scott and Hunter are staying put anyway because cutting them won't save any money in terms of the cap.

And there's a chance that Sparano used blocking TE's because that's what he had. I'm sure given a tight end whose strength is catching the football and who has a good rapport with the team's starting quarterback, they'll use him that way. Good coaches will modify systems somewhat to fit personnel, I'm sure that won't be too hard to do in terms of finding slightly different ways to use the tight end.

And blocking TE's aren't that hard to find, but that just opens up another hole and one that would probably need to be filled in the draft as free agency is basically done. I also think Keller can stretch the seam a bit, but won't stretch the field like a fast WR would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
So what do you think about him today reporting that they're looking to deal up for Richardson?

Despite something I'm sure we agree on (the fact that this team cannot afford to trade up because doing so has made the bottom of their roster terrible - they have no quality depth), here are the reasons why I think it's possible:

A) The player they'd get at No. 16 is going to be heavily flawed. Each pass rusher/DL has huge warts as prospects. Except Barron, who will be gone.

B) The "**** it" mentality of this regime. They aren't afraid to make big moves. And they are at a crossroads. They are not building some sort of deep dynasty and can delude (maybe not?) themselves into thinking that yet again missing out on opportunities to draft role players won't kill them.

C) Trent Richardson was the missing piece. I said it all along - the offense had a myriad of issues from QB to OC to OL to WR but the MAIN reason they struggled so much was because they lacked the signature running game they had in the past. I blamed Greene. The team went 8-8 with Greene, who I believe was the main culprit for the offensive putridity. THEORETICALLY, improving that one spot with a HUGE upgrade, may be just what the team needs to get back to AFCCG status (and over the hump). They had a bad year last year, but not terrible, at 8-8. I understand that the defense wasn't great either, but adding a question-marked riddled pass-rusher at No. 16 and some other decent talents later may not make nearly as much as an impact as a guy who could potentially restore ground-and-pound, which helps, not only the offense, but the defense staying off the field, and the overall culture of the team.
I basically agree with you. Essentially, the entire post.

I'd be okay with standing pat at 16 and holding onto picks, but if they're attached to drafting a pass rusher that's scary to me because as you said, they all have a ton of warts. Honestly I'm not too big on drafting a pass rusher for that reason, and especially trading up for one. I get that it's a need, and if there was a relatively clean pass rusher in this draft I'd be down to move up to get him. But there's not at all, and I think drafting one's essentially a coinflip. Not exactly what's needed.

In all honesty there aren't a ton of great directions to go in at 16. Kuechly is one of the cleanest prospects in the draft but doesn't really fill a need and is probably gone. Exact same thing goes for DeCastro. Barron's not quite as good as those two but still damn good and also probably gone.

Then even the non pass rushers have warts Floyd's good aside from off the field and toughness issues, andh e's probably gone. Glenn's ideal aside from issues about how dominant/physical he is for his size, and it looks like they aren't going to take a RT anyway. Poe's a physical beast but doesn't play like it on the field, I think sitting for a couple years and learning from Ryan/Dunbar and Pouha would be one of the best possible situations for him but that's a huge gamble. Coples has the motor/effort issues, and I'm still not quite sure where he fits. Looks like he could be a really good 5-tech to me if he wants to be, but a) I'm not sure if he does and b) I think they might try to stand him up a-la Mario Williams and I'm not sure he's that kind of athlete.

There's a couple of guys I think fit but they don't really match up in terms of need. Hill I think is a great fit for what they need at WR - good blocker, deep threat, size - but he's super raw and in a run first offense do you really make that investment in the first round? Randle is another really interesting guy, played with eh QB's and was productive which is good because he'd see that here. Size, can run after the catch a bit and make some plays, pretty strong, think he can separate, I think he could end up a pretty good receiver but the value at 16 doesn't match up. Kirkpatrick as a FS is really interesting, but you're changing his position and since the money's better at corner he probably wants to stay there. Then pass rushers like Perry and Branch have more tools than Upshaw and Ingram but again value doesn't match up and they still have warts. I love Doug Martin, but don't like the value and he's just not nearly the back Richardson is.

If I could out of this draft with any player it's Richardson, and the reasons you outlined are rock solid. I also agree completely that this team really can't continue to just throw away picks and the depth is awful. Honestly to me it probably comes down to this - can they move up to get him without giving up their first in 2013? If they can, I'd be upset that they ignored needs and depth to go get a running back, but because I really agree with C above along with A and everything I just outlined about my opinion, I could live with it. But if they do give up that pick, and it appears they might have to, I think it's just too much to give up for an important piece on a very flawed team. Honestly I think/hope Tannenbaum wouldn't, I know that was an issue in trading up for Harvin and I think he really values number one picks, but who knows. If the team had two legitimate starting caliber safeties, wide receivers, and RT who wasn't a turnstile I think I'd be pissed about giving up the #1 next year but could deal a little better. But to give all that up to get Richardson and then watch the team fall flat on its face because of other holes and go 8-8 next year and have no #1 pick would suck.

So all in all I agree and I ended up ranting a bunch, but I think it depends where Richardson goes and how much they have to give up to go get him.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets want more than 7.8m cap room. Why? I dunno. It could be Jets bite the stick and release both Scott and Hunter after the draft is completed. It could be Jets have an expensive stud to trade for during the draft.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Trading up for trich isnt a possibility, he isnt getting past 6 how in the world are the jets going to trade for pick 4? Thats the pick theyd need bc if hes there at 5 the bucs would take him. I doubt the Browns would even trade the pick they did it last year in lieu of taking Jones I doubt theyll do it again, they need trich badly. Our depth is **** if we trade up for anyone i dont care if its jesus h christ, its a huge mistake.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
ESPN New York‘s Rich Cimini believes that the Jets will first “explore” a trade up for Alabama RB Trent Richardson. Should that not work out, Cimini sees them shifting their focus to South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram. If by chance they can’t get either deal done, Cimini believes that they’ll stay at #16 overall and take the best player available.

A trade up for Richardson is going to cost them a lot in terms of draft picks, and considering that they’ve had a limited number of picks to work with in the past few year’s, it would make sense for them to try to do as much as possible with them this year. Running back is a need, but giving up the majority of your draft for one seems like a poor decision.

I’m a huge supporter of Melvin Ingram and see the Jets as one of the best possible fits for him. His versatility should be a huge addition to their defense and there’s actually a chance that he could still be on the board by the time they’re on the clock at #16 overall.

Cimini mentions that S Mark Barron, NT Dontari Poe and WR Michael Floyd could all be options for them if the other two players are gone.
Did I just copy and paste legally?

According to Cimini, Jets' plan will be Trent Richardson, Melvin Ingram, Mark Barron, Dontari Poe and Michael Floyd.

Is it in sequence? I am not happy with Poe and Ingram before Floyd.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a fan of Trent Richardson as a player. But I'm not a fan of the idea of trading up to get him. To me Doug Martin offers the same type of value, except you can get him at #16 most likely. But I'd rather have Michael Floyd, personally at #16

If the Jets go defense at #16. It wouldn't suprise me if they traded back into the late 1st to get a RB or WR to help out Sanchez. Like they did when they grabbed Vernon Gholston & Dustin Keller.

Sig by, Hitman D

Last edited by katnip : 04-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

As a fan, I'd like to see the Jets stay where they are at #16, but to find a way to move up in the 2nd round. For example, maybe a situation where we land a defensive player, like Ingram, at 16, then move up in the 2nd to grab a player like Doug Martin or David Wilson. Or the other way around, land a player like Floyd at #16, then move up in the 2nd for a defensive player, like Chandler Jones (who've they seem to be rumored to have high interest in).

There seems to be many directions the Jets could go at #16 where players draft out with a similar grade. Makes sense to stay put.