Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can play LT but he has rather short arms which is his only negative, Add 2 inches to his arm length and he goes top 10. He may start out playing OG which he played in college but eventually, he'll get a shot at LT, RT is a worst case scenario.

I love the pick, Mayhew stayed true to his board and drafted the BPA.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. We can't go wrong with this pick. He will certainly be starting this year somewhere on this line. Not at LT thisyear which will give him time to develop some more. Between him and Fox I have to believe that Mayhew thinks he has his OTs of the future.

I may have preffered Decastro though. Just because he grades out to be a great OG. Ultiamately though, if you look at our division, all the teams are build to rush from the edges, not the middle. With this in mind I'm happy with it. Every team in our division (after CHI and GB both took DEs) has a threat from both sides of the ball so a RT is just as Key.

Next round interests me a lot now. Theres no denying we really need some secondary help, but if Cordy Glen or Kronz is there I wouldn't doubt Mayhew to chalk this draft up as his oline draft. Adding 2 solid young starters would pay dividends in a year or two. Allowing these guys to compete for jobs behind our veterans for a year and then having a nice change over next year. If we actually built a very good line, our offense doesn't have a single flaw in it.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would keep an eye on the cowboys now. Mike Jenkins is now sitting as hteir 4th CB on the depth chart. Former first who I have always though had some talent. Cowboys will be looking for a DT and don't have a second round pick. I could see us moving Corey, Hill, or maybe fluellen and a low pick for either sensabaugh or jenkins.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I would keep an eye on the cowboys now. Mike Jenkins is now sitting as hteir 4th CB on the depth chart. Former first who I have always though had some talent. Cowboys will be looking for a DT and don't have a second round pick. I could see us moving Corey, Hill, or maybe fluellen and a low pick for either sensabaugh or jenkins.
Jenkins is actually our 3rd best CB now. I wouldn't expect to see him get traded, but there is a chance. Sensy is nothing special... I wouldn't be interested in him if I were you.

Thought you guys were fortunate to find a great value in Rieff where you were picking, but I share Xio's opinion.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Jenkins is actually our 3rd best CB now. I wouldn't expect to see him get traded, but there is a chance. Sensy is nothing special... I wouldn't be interested in him if I were you.

Thought you guys were fortunate to find a great value in Rieff where you were picking, but I share Xio's opinion.
Interesting. I was under the assumption Sensy would be your Nickle guy. Don't know too much about Sensy but you dont think you guys will try and shop a corner?

I'm just saying it would not shock me if Mayhew goes BPA again. And if Kronz or Cordy is there it will test Mayhew's values and blueprint on how he approaches the draft since they would most likely be BPA.

Overall, I am hoping a CB is there that has enough value in Mayhews mind. I think either molk or brewster may be there in the 3rd for us which he may go that route. But i definitley think he goes secondary in round 2. The issue iss that the value has to be there.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not a LT right now. But this is really the perfect pick for the Detroit Lions. I'd even take Reiff over DeCastro. Reiff offers us the versatility we needed. We've had the same offensive line for 2 full seasons now. When Reiff comes in, he'll have to compete for a starting job, but they can do so many things with him. They can start him at RT and bump Gosder down to RG. They can start him at RG and keep Gosder. All the while, he'll be working with seasoned veteran Jeff Backus and be an eventual starter at LT.

The Lions don't need to trade up at all. I say stay put, same as in the first round. And continue to take the BPA. You're not going to fail if you get the best player possible in every round. Round two, there's so much talent still on the board. Easily, I could see Amini Silatolu, Josh Robinson, Janoris Jenkins, and Zach Brown being available for us when our pick comes up. And if not all 4 of those guys, at least 2.

Great draft so far for the Lions. They don't need to go safety right away in round 2, though. Iloka might fall, then there's some solid guys that will be available in round 3.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, passing on DeCastro might come back and haunt us. I'd at least like to try Reiff out at LT and see if he can handle it.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't need him at LT right now. He can afford to take a year or two to be groomed for that.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very solid pick though. None of this Mike Adams or Jenkins non sense. Mayhew is smooth.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 AM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't know he wasn't projected as a LT but I still like the pick, even though I wanted DeCastro.
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayhew drafted Reiff as our LT of the future. He's made that very clear. I think at worst he carries on with career performance that's on par with Backus. In the short-term, RT will be where he cuts his teeth in the NFL. It will be similar to how the 'Boys broke in Tyron Smith. I love the pick and the value.

I would not mind one bit if Mayhew goes back to the O-line in round two. Spending a draft gathering key pieces for the future line is not sexy, but it's certainly going to benefit us in the long run.

I think we can still grab a defensive starter in round 3 if we don't go D in round 2.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another great draft pick and he will start at somewhere next year on the OL while maybe taking over for LT in the future. Glad the lions didnt trade up
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
Another great draft pick and he will start at somewhere next year on the OL while maybe taking over for LT in the future. Glad the lions didnt trade up
Yeah, agree 100%. And for round two, there's enough talent on the board to sit there at #54 and just let someone come to you. No need to move up for Jenkins, it's not worth losing picks over. I really like Josh Robinson for the Lions in round 2.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reiff gives the Lions options now and depth if Gosder is pushed to the bench. Reiff has a great shot to be LT of the future(Mayhew said so) or at worst a good RT. Gosder and Hilliard are UFA and Fox is a restricted free agent next year. This pick makes alot of sense and evenmoreso that Reiff may be an upgrade over Gosder definitely and maybe Backus at LT(we shall see on that). Reiff will start this year over Gosder and then maybe they make the switch next year with Backus at RT and Reiff at LT. Thats the best way to do it IMO.

Scott Wright should be happy. Lions finally took a Tackle Round 1.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And another thing I love. BPA for sure and no character issues with this farm boy from South Dakota.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

I personally think you keep Cherilus in the lineup. Maybe a move to the inside, because I can't stand Stephen Peterman at RG. We also only have 3 Guards on the entire roster right now. It would be good to keep as much consistency as possible on the O-line. jmo
Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Reiff pick. GREAT value, he was not even on my radar for guys Detroit would get b/c as the #2 LT typically that is gone in the top 10. As Schwartz said, usually you are onto the #4 or #5 LT at pick #23 so outstanding talent although not the sexiest pick. LT is argualby the #3 most important position behind QB & DE ... getting the #2 talent at that spot is solid, combine that with the one of the oldest O-lines in the NFL, it's a great fit.

2 things...

"What If"
If Perry is a sack master in GB, or Mercilus truly replaces Super Mario in Houston, or if Hightower develops into a Pro Bowl LB in NE <<all likely btw >> It could have turned out a little bit better for Detroit imho, by taking one of those 3 players. But again, I like a player who's adjectives are tough, big, versatile, smart any day of the week. Only real knocks are small feet & short(er) arms ... not crucial. 3x state champ in wrestling, he is a tactical dynamo!!

"What's Next?"
Pick #54: (CB Jenkins - gone?) CB Boykin, DE Branch, DE Curry, OLB Brown, CB Norman
Pick #85: S Iloka, CB Dennard, DE Crick, CB Minnifield
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

I think...

Pick #54: Josh Robinson CB UCF (I've been high on him all year)
Pick #85: Keenan Robinson LB Texas
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

These guys will probably go before our pick but I want

Cordy Glenn
Silatolu
Zach Brown
Konz
Vinny Curry
Lamar Miller
Boykin
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteinebach View Post
I personally think you keep Cherilus in the lineup. Maybe a move to the inside, because I can't stand Stephen Peterman at RG. We also only have 3 Guards on the entire roster right now. It would be good to keep as much consistency as possible on the O-line. jmo
Gosder is too inconsistent. Reiff should start at RT and then switch to LT next year. Gosder development time is done after 4 seasons. And Gosder is a huge disappointment in run blocking. He's a free agent next year. Peterman is better than Gosder. Peterman could be upgraded but only if guard is BPA in the next 3 picks and a Round3/4 pick won't replace Peterman IMO.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Man, passing on DeCastro might come back and haunt us. I'd at least like to try Reiff out at LT and see if he can handle it.
I think Reiff is a better pick for Detroit. I think he can play LT, and if he does work out there it's a much better pick than a guard.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fun Fact Time!

Jeff Backus' arms measured out at 32.5"
Joe Thomas' were 33 3/4"
Riley Reiff's are 33 1/4"

arms are the same as Jordan Gross and 1/8th longer than Jason Peters

That was him arriving at Allen Park today.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Yuck. Showed up in a Lincoln. lol
Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though I wanted DeCastro, Reiff provides great value at a position of need. Hopefully he can work out as a LT eventually, but even if he doesn't at least he could replace Gosder at RT. For the second round I would like to go CB but I wouldn't mine going OG if someone like Silatolu falls to us(which us unlikely IMO). So my top three for the second round would have to be like this:

1. Janoris Jenkins
2. Amini Silatolu
3. Josh Robinson
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty cool pick, I'm personally wasn't feeling the depth in the 1st round, so I'd say we did well with a safe pick who should be a consistent performer for us.

I think this pick is even better when taken in the context of our salary situation for the forseeable future. I truely hope we got a highly consistent performer who can be the anchor of our line as it becomes younger, and we can get away without paying him top -5 tackle money.

I hoping we can snag another O-line, two DBs and 1 DE from here on out.

IF we address RB I could stand Miller, or perhaps we can luck out and snag a guy like Edwin Baker in the 6 or 7th (if we have any picks).