Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I said in the draft thread....

It's not a bad pick at all, I just wanted Decastro over him. But the Rams Defensive Line has the chance to be absolutely beastly. We desperatly needed that big Nose Tackle.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brockers does help with run support and will take up a lot of space. But with those 3 picks in the 2nd they need to go after WR and O-line.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a fan of Brockers, my biggest disappointment comes from my man crush on DeCastro. However, Fisher's teams generally draft D line very well. So I do live in hope that, that success continues.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
Brockers does help with run support and will take up a lot of space. But with those 3 picks in the 2nd they need to go after WR and O-line.

The way the draft is falling, there will be a nice O-lineman on the board at pick #33. Cordy Glenn, David Decastro and Riley Reiff still on Board and Amini whaeveryoulastnameis
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

My top 10 available:

1. Alshon Jeffery WR
2. Cordy Glenn OL
3. Amini Silatolu OG
4. Janoris Jenkins CB
5. Reuben Randle WR
6. Coby Fleener TE
7. Lavonte David LB
8. Stephen Hill WR
9. Bobby Massie OT
10. Lamar Miller RB

Doubt we get any of them the way this draft is going but hey you never know.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
My top 10 available:

1. Alshon Jeffery WR
2. Cordy Glenn OL
3. Amini Silatolu OG
4. Janoris Jenkins CB
5. Reuben Randle WR
6. Coby Fleener TE
7. Lavonte David LB
8. Stephen Hill WR
9. Bobby Massie OT
10. Lamar Miller RB

Doubt we get any of them the way this draft is going but hey you never know.
Hey we got the 1st pick tomorrow. I like this list. Hopefully we get one or more of them...ESPECIALLY the WR. I think I've made it clear I wanted a WR tonight...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

And Courtney Upshaw would be up there to, I just don't see a fit for him on the Rams. He's a 43 Defensive End, it would be a nice value pick, but the Rams really don't need a Defensive End.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Brockers pick quite a bit. I get those that wanted DeCastro, but how far he slipped may be a clue as to how NFL teams view the position. Brockers is going to step in right away and help shore up a run defense that was pathetic last year (remember the Cowboys game?). I'm bummed that the Rams missed out on Blackmon and then Floyd, but Brockers and an extra second round pick takes a good bit of the sting away.

Especially when you consider what's still on the board for the Rams at the top of the second. Here's my Top 20 remaining...

Top 20 Available
1. Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
2. Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
3. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
4. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
5. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
6. Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
7. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
8. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
9. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
10. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
11. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
12. Bobbi Massie, OT, Mississippi
13. Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
14. Kendall Reyes, DL, UConn
15. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall
16. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
17. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
18. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
19. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
20. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

I donít see Upshaw or Worthy being considerations for the Rams. Glenn makes some sense for a team that has a gaping hole at left guard and who might need someone to push Jason Smith at right tackle. Throw Jonathan Martin into that discussion as well.

For me, my #33 pick would probably be Rueben Randle though. Double dip into the LSU pool by taking a great athlete with good size who can step in and contribute right away, which according to Snead and Fisher is a big point of emphasis (and an advantage over Hill in this instance IMO).

Given how many offensive lineman appear in my Top 20, I feel confident that if the Rams wanted one, they could wait and get one with their second 2nd-rounder. That leaves their third 2nd-rounder open for a number of possibilities - another WR, RB, LB, CB, etc.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Terrible draft for the Rams. I'd rather have Clairborne than Brockers and a 2nd. Brokers excites me about as much as Brian Leonard or Donnie Avery. when you consider the depth this draft has at DT you gotta wonder why we addressed the position so early. Personally I'd rather have Kendall Wright and Devon Still/Jerel Worthy than Michael Brockers and Ruben Randle. Or even Clairborne, DT than what we ended up with.

Rams have the worst 5-year record in NFL history...can't see it improving much with this choice. Bradford is wondering where the support is and so am I.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
I like the Brockers pick quite a bit. I get those that wanted DeCastro, but how far he slipped may be a clue as to how NFL teams view the position. Brockers is going to step in right away and help shore up a run defense that was pathetic last year (remember the Cowboys game?). I'm bummed that the Rams missed out on Blackmon and then Floyd, but Brockers and an extra second round pick takes a good bit of the sting away.

Especially when you consider what's still on the board for the Rams at the top of the second. Here's my Top 20 remaining...

Top 20 Available
1. Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
2. Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
3. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
4. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
5. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
6. Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
7. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
8. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
9. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
10. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
11. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
12. Bobbi Massie, OT, Mississippi
13. Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
14. Kendall Reyes, DL, UConn
15. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall
16. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
17. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
18. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
19. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
20. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

I donít see Upshaw or Worthy being considerations for the Rams. Glenn makes some sense for a team that has a gaping hole at left guard and who might need someone to push Jason Smith at right tackle. Throw Jonathan Martin into that discussion as well.

For me, my #33 pick would probably be Rueben Randle though. Double dip into the LSU pool by taking a great athlete with good size who can step in and contribute right away, which according to Snead and Fisher is a big point of emphasis (and an advantage over Hill in this instance IMO).

Given how many offensive lineman appear in my Top 20, I feel confident that if the Rams wanted one, they could wait and get one with their second 2nd-rounder. That leaves their third 2nd-rounder open for a number of possibilities - another WR, RB, LB, CB, etc.

The more and more I think about it, the more I like the possibility of selecting Upshaw with the 33rd selection. He's just a great FOOTBALL player, he's top 20 on almost everyones rankings and I think the Rams need more of those guys. Play Upshaw at strongside linebacker on run downs and then move him to Defensive End and kick Chris Long inside on passing downs. I really really am warming up to that idea.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
Terrible draft for the Rams. I'd rather have Clairborne than Brockers and a 2nd. Brokers excites me about as much as Brian Leonard or Donnie Avery. when you consider the depth this draft has at DT you gotta wonder why we addressed the position so early. Personally I'd rather have Kendall Wright and Devon Still/Jerel Worthy than Michael Brockers and Ruben Randle. Or even Clairborne, DT than what we ended up with.

Rams have the worst 5-year record in NFL history...can't see it improving much with this choice. Bradford is wondering where the support is and so am I.
Rams could/should get four or five new starters in this draft and have two 1st rounders next year and two first rounders in 2014. We desperately needed a Run Stuffing Defensive Tackle, and we got one.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So far this draft is pretty much shaping up the way I thought it would for us. Fisher and Snead both said at the pre-draft press conference that they felt like we had holes all over the place. Fisher even referred to St. Louis as "Need City." So for us to move down to 14, pick up a starter with star potential at a position of emphasis in Fisher's scheme, as well as a 2nd rounder that should be another starter, if not a solid contributor (in the event that we take a backup RB), I think is a very good move for us. I have said all along that I thought we would be going BPA with the idea of moving down if possible, and I think that is what we did here. We could argue that DeCastro is a better player, but Fisher may not have had him ranked higher. Or maybe he felt the drop off at DT was significant after Brockers and that there would still be quality guards left in round 2 like there always is.

I like us to continue the trend of BPA tomorrow, and I highly doubt it makes total sense to us whatever direction we go.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LSU D lineman always scare me recently. But as I said before, I'm willing give Fisher some leeway when it comes to D lineman because of the conveyor belt they seemed to have over in Tennessee. I love the fact that we traded down though, was always my #1 move as I just hated the value or talent of most of the potential picks at #6, although when Claiborne fell to us (I didn't expect him to) I would have been happy with that as well.

Tonight should be interesting though, 3 of the first 13 picks. I actually think we'll only make 2 though. I'm going to guess we take Hill and Konz. In what order or where I'm not sure.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Personally I'd rather have Kendall Wright and Devon Still/Jerel Worthy than Michael Brockers and Ruben Randle.
Couldn't disagree more with that.

Neither Still nor Worthy brings the kind of presence to the run defense that Brockers will, which is what the Rams really needed next to Langford on the defensive line.

As for Wright, he scares me. I prefer Randle, and would love to see the Rams just sit tight and nab him @ 33.

Considering the Rams had Claiborne on the board and chose to move down eight spots for only a second round pick, I'm guessing they weren't particularly high on him.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

This should be required reading for all Rams fans this morning. Really interesting insight into the Rams' war room yesterday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ra...e-drafted.html
Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Oh calm down. You don't win games by only finding starters in the 1st round. You win because you find them in rounds 4-7. They can find a #1 WR in the second and there are several guys there with a ton of potential. The fact that Jeff Fisher is our head coach and people are actually surprised they went with D-Line is the shocking part to me. C'mon folks.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Really cool read man
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
This should be required reading for all Rams fans this morning. Really interesting insight into the Rams' war room yesterday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ra...e-drafted.html
No interest in Kalil or Floyd, and straight up ranked Brockers over Cox from the start. Did anyone else get the feeling from that article that the Rams don't think the O-Line needs to be addressed as much as we do?

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
No interest in Kalil or Floyd, and straight up ranked Brockers over Cox from the start. Did anyone else get the feeling from that article that the Rams don't think the O-Line needs to be addressed as much as we do?
In my 2nd to last mock, I didn't have them taking an Offensive Lineman until the 6th round....

Quote:
6th Round - Ryan Miller OG, Colorado
- I'm pretty confident with the Rams Offensive Line and I know to some that might sound crazy but IMO Saffold, Wells and Dahl are locks and I still have faith in Jason Smith. If Smith is healthy I think he can be a very good Right Tackle for us and I like what the Rams have done this offseason adding a few players to really increase the depth throughout the line in case something happens with Smith. Miller would continue that.
That being said, Cordy Glenn, Amini Silatolu, Brandon Brooks are absolute maulers that would be great picks here in the 2nd.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
All indications are they're going to give Saffold and Smith a shot this season, we'll see if that's smoke or fire but they did restructure Smith. They have a gaping hole at OG though that I think needs to be considered at some point.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, just read the yahoo article. I figured Floyd would be our pick if he was there at 14. Guuess not. And I was frustrated last night, the 3 guys I wanted were the two receivers or (FLETCHER!) Cox and they were taken right before us. However, I've seen video now, I've seen some analysis, and quite frankly Fisher has a track record of doing a good job, Brockers has the potential to finally get us out of the bottom of the league, where we seem to always be, in run defense.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a great read. I almost felt as if I was in the room as it all played out.

I have a feeling we may trade out of the #33 spot. There are several players still available that were mocked in the first round. We could pick up another 3rd rounder by trading down, maybe even a 3rd and a 5th to the right team who really wants someone. More than anything I get the feeling like Fisher and Snead are both looking at this draft realistically and know that at this point we are trying to bolster the roster and add as many good players as possible.

I am not the least bit concerned if we do this. There will still be a very good WR at #39. And, honestly, if we keep the pick, I'm not sure I would go WR anyway. I know it is our biggest need, but Fleener might be just as potent of a weapon as any of the receivers still out there, and we could do a lot of things with him and Kendricks.

One receiver that is still available that I haven't given much thought to is Brian Quick from Appalachian St. Does anyone have any thoughts on him? His measureables were similar to Reuben Randle at the combine. I like his game tape here against VT. He shows impressive balance and awareness in traffic. Looks like his QB wasn't very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Yz2yy6Rwo
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

This is a great video of Brockers in the BCS Championship game. He isn't directly involved in a whole lot of plays, but he is double-teamed throughout and holds his own on a consistent basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73WOdWwgG_I
Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I give the Rams a solid B grade with the Brian Quick selection. It wasn't the sexy Receiver selection but Quick still has crap load of potential and imo we have to trust our coaches to coach him up.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I'm fine with Quick. He wasn't the best receiver on my board at that point, but keep in mind the Rams had some of these second round guys in and worked them out in person. They've seen them up close as well as on tape. I'll defer to their opinion on who is the best fit for them, with the grades likely being so close for these second round prospects.

In other news, Rams take a shot at Janoris Jenkins. I'm not a huge fan due to the off the field red flags, but maybe Fisher can keep him in line. If he can, they just got an outstanding cover guy to play across from Finnegan.