Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've watched a few tapes of Mike Martin now. I don't like the Jurrell Casey comparison at all. He just doesn't have Casey's lateral movement ability. What I do like is that he gets penetration a very steady level and can change the directions of plays in the backfield at will almost. He also is pretty good against double teams and got he alot of that at Michigan it seems. Dude is really quick in tight spaces too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...0&#post2978550

All my thoughts on the class after watching tape.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

And not to burst anyone's bubble..but I see why Martin slid into the 6th.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
And not to burst anyone's bubble..but I see why Martin slid into the 6th.
i do too, but he was athletic played for a big time program and made plays for them. with nfl coaching I like his potential
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've watched some vids and read a bit more so I guess I'll give some amateur grades and thoughts. Sorry, this may be long and subsequently boring lol.

1. Kendall Wright - B
If WR was a position of need (imo of course), I'd give this an easy A. The only catch for me is will we get full potential and much added production out of our loaded roster of receivers (and I'm counting our 3 TE's in here too). We will need to sling the ball like we had Warren Moon still on the team. It's exciting to think about being a top passing team in the league, but how well will we transition to that and how well will our QB's fit in that role?

As far as Wright himself, he is electric like they say. Michael Irvin talked about his stride length helping him a lot. He loved him, so did Mayock. After watching him and reading up, so do I. He does bring an extra dimension to the offense. The ability to separate is huge. Supposedly drops very few passes. Not tall, but has a great vertical and can go up and snatch the ball. I hope we see lots of 3 wide sets which puts defenses in difficult positions 1 on 1, and possibly open up running lanes for CJ.

2. Zach Brown - B-
Mychael Kendricks vs Zach Brown. Both players visited the Titans. If Kendricks lasts 6 more picks, do the Titans take him over Brown? I think so. Brown just didn't look as good to me, but I see the need here.

He plays up to his timed speed, but his change of direction and lateral agility don't quite match, although they are not bad (McRath comes to mind). Seems to give up too much cushion in zone coverage or just doesn't have a great feel for it. The "allergic to contact" thing is overblown imo (like with Ayers last year), although like most athletic guys he will try to make the blocker miss which can sometimes set up the ball carrier with an easy cut away from him. Shows good blitzing ability, also played with his hand down some. Hopefully Gray will use this ability at some point (they did say they will free up Ayers more this year to pass rush...fingers crossed). Not the best break down, wrap up tackler and doesn't seem to take the best angles (instincts?).

His Sr. Stats of 105 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 4 PBU, and 3 INT's shows his versatility. I get the feeling that overall he is not top notch at anything (except speed), but has no glaring deficiencies. Can add more versatility to Gray's D, but may have a specific role planned for now from Gray's comments.

3. Mike Martin - A
Need meet for sure. I underrated this guy by others ratings and wanting a DT sooner until I watched him more a 2nd time and read some more. To me, he is a very good mix of NT and 1 gap or 3 technique guy. He can hold up against doubles and even break them. He can penetrate with good quickness and shows some lateral agility. 1 on 1 he can ragdoll o-lineman (wrestling probably playing a huge role here). Size is an issue but really doesn't really concern me too much. He will get leverage advantage. He's going to fight every play and be a constant PITA like KVB. No matter how they line him up (he even did some DE), I think he will play his role very well.

4. Coty Sensabaugh - C
Didn't find much film, so this is hard to give much of an opinion on. Physically, he seems solid. Decent size and very good measurables. Obviously fits a need. They say he can play inside or out. Had 13 PBU this year, but not many INT's over his career. Many places had him ranked late round. Very interested to see him in preseason.

5. Taylor Thompson - D+
1st off I don't like giving up a pick to reach for this guy. We've had some late round gems, so you really have to think before possibly throwing those picks away. 2nd, they say he'll start out at TE but could play DE if needed. Well I like that possible versatility (reminds me of a TE the Bears took a few years ago that I liked who was from Michigan State I think), but he hasn't played TE since HS.

The defensive tape I saw was ok. He is a long strider, not quick twitch, not good change of direction. I can see how he may actually fit better at TE. He's been compared to the Patriots Gronkowski, and physically they are very similar...but Gronkowski had a good college career at TE. Taylor should have the tools to be able to block. He reportedly lost 20 lb's to train as a TE. He may bulk back up a bit. I definitely wanted a 3rd TE who was a solid mix of blocking and receiving, and this guy looks to have the tools...but plenty of guys look to have the tools, but can't actually produce on the field...and we've drafted our fair share of those types before.

6. Markelle Martin - B+
I'm guessing the knee did set him back a few rounds. Physically, he seems to be able to do everything you ask from a modern S. He's not Dallas's Roy Williams in the box, but he does a solid job in the box and doesn't appear to be afraid of contact. Can lay the big hit on a receiver. Very smooth in coverage and fast to the ball. Had the most PBU's of any top S this year. Can be fooled by play action and can be over aggressive leading to open receivers. Should be able to help on ST's right away, and I think he has starter potential in the future.

7. Scott Solomon - B
Had to give up next year's 6th, but probably worth it. Another guy who can be a PITA like Mike Martin, and fits a need. High college production, decent size, high motor. 4.8-5.0 40 sounds bad, but I read he had a 1.62 10 yard. That's very good and much more important to a DE than the 40. Of course that lack of a 2nd gear will hurt him on some occasions. His 3 cone, vertical, bench press, and shuttle tests were all good to very good. He'll use his burst and quickness to get upfield. He has excellent weight room strength like Mike Martin, and it seems to transfer to the field pretty well. He also played some DT.

I like some of our UFA's. LaJohn Harris at times looked pretty good. With my questions about Smith and Marks, I think he could fight for a spot. The C from Bama is a thick, strong guy. Not very athletic though, and short with short arms. Bias played OT on a team that threw a ton. I saw a bit of him and he's got solid size, tested well in drills, and looked ok on tape. If he's looked at at G, there could be a possibility there. The G from Kentucky seems similar. But overall, I'm still a bit worried about O-line. Now if our plans are too pass a lot, the arguement can be made that the line will be ok as is. I would still look to upgrade though. It also makes you wonder if they think they have backups who can maybe take the spot of Amano and/or Harris.

Overall, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic about this draft. I see potential, but also wonder how effective we will be at using some of it. I think the floor is at least fairly high for a lot of our picks and some of our roster needs should be meet.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice avy. <3<3<3<3<3<3 Firefly.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Nice avy. <3<3<3<3<3<3 Firefly.
Coolest short lived tv show I've ever seen. They need to get their **** together and bring it back with a sequel to Serenity. I just don't understand how this didn't live long. Too witty and smart for people? lol
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1.After finally getting over DeCastro, I like our draft. I like everything about Kendall Wright. He reminds me of bigger,thicker and little slower Santana Moss.

A-

2.Zach Brown - I like his man to man coverage skills. In one of the 2010 youtube videos he played physical and took on blockers and made a tackle. He wasn't Ray Lewis but wasn't Todd Pinkston. Then against Missouri he looked awful. He tried to jersey tackle and tackle by dipping his shoulder hoping the guy fell down. He is either confused/lost or he was avoiding contact.

B+
Hopefully his own UNC coaches calling him soft motivates him. I disagree with Bobo on the lateral agility part. I think his lateral agility matches his speed.

3.Bobo is spot on with Martin

A

4.Great combine numbers for Coty.

IDK, B I guess

5. I actually love the Taylor Thompson pick. He is just as big as Gronk and going by they're pro-day numbers a little more athletic and .1 seconds faster than Gronk. I am not worried about his blocking because like Munch said most college TE's don't block anymore. I think he can be a 10-25 catch guy this year hopefully more.

A

6. Solid tackler which is a good thing. To many he does everything right and is pretty athletic. He isn't a playmaker and bites on play-action and pump fakes maybe he is too aggressive? hopefully better film study helps him fix those issues.

B-

7. Scott Solomon - Has every passrushing move in the book. He looked like a beast.

A+

If Jake Locker fails it will not be because of the lack of weapons.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
2.Zach Brown - I like his man to man coverage skills. In one of the 2010 youtube videos he played physical and took on blockers and made a tackle. He wasn't Ray Lewis but wasn't Todd Pinkston. Then against Missouri he looked awful. He tried to jersey tackle and tackle by dipping his shoulder hoping the guy fell down. He is either confused/lost or he was avoiding contact.

B+
Hopefully his own UNC coaches calling him soft motivates him. I disagree with Bobo on the lateral agility part. I think his lateral agility matches his speed.

6. Solid tackler which is a good thing. To many he does everything right and is pretty athletic. He isn't a playmaker and bites on play-action and pump fakes maybe he is too aggressive? hopefully better film study helps him fix those issues.

B-

7. Scott Solomon - Has every passrushing move in the book. He looked like a beast.

A+
I should explain a bit more of what I saw for Zach's lateral agility being not bad but not matching his elite straight line speed. I saw several plays where he was in full sprint to the ball carrier, but then couldn't make a turn on a dime move to make the tackle. Simple bad angles is what it looked like sometimes, but not always. I saw Kendricks make those quicker cuts laterally where he kept his speed up and that's what I was trying to describe. Of course Kendricks had an unheard-of 3 cone for a LB of 6.68 along with his 4.4 speed. Now Bulluck's movements were more like Zach's, and obviously I'd be happy as **** if Zach turns out similar to Bulluck.

I also wonder if they plan on sticking Zach man to man with TE's a lot. We definitely sucked there last year, and Gray talked about a specific role for Zach...

For Markelle, I think he's a proven to be a semi-playmaker I guess you could say. He broke up a ton of passes, just didn't get many INT's.

I liked Solomon's moves too. He would set a guy up outside, then do a rip/swim move inside or spin move. He used his strength well to throw guys aside. He can get a good burst off the snap, shrug his shoulder, and turn the arc well. He had some good bullrushes and seemed to have a good feel for stunting. Not a one trick pony for sure.

Last edited by Bobo : 05-01-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Zach Brown thing has been taken a little too far, ironically mostly by posters who at one point really liked him

It's not like we're talking about Michael Boulware here, Zach Brown may not be a big thumper, but he doesn't need to be. Keith Bulluck wasn't overly physical, and yeah it drove me crazy at times, but he was still probably the most underrated in the NFL for his time.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote