Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
He's an UFA next year... so I don't think a team would be foolish enough to deal anything for Turner.
Are you serious? Then why are teams like the Bills, Titans, Cowboys, Jets and Packers reportedly interested? They want Turner this year and lock him up for good.

Plus, the most that AJ Smith will get for him in a compensentory pick next year would be a 3rd. Then again, you have to factor in the value of Turner playing for the Chargers this year. That is why i think a 2nd and a 3rd, one this year, one in 2008, would be fair for both teams.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Also keep in mind that Marv Levy (Bills GM) and AJ Smith have a history. Back in the glory days of the 1990's, Smith was the director of pro personnel in Buffalo when Marv Levy was the head coach of the Bills. So I think that if Buffalo REALLY wants Turner, which I think they do, they will be able to work out a trade with AJ Smith.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
Are you serious? Then why are teams like the Bills, Titans, Cowboys, Jets and Packers reportedly interested? They want Turner this year and lock him up for good.
You're missing the point. The point I was making was if Turner remains a Charger going into this season it would be foolish for teams to THEN give up draft picks for him knowing that he's going to be a UFA at the end of upcoming season.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
You're missing the point. The point I was making was if Turner remains a Charger going into this season it would be foolish for teams to THEN give up draft picks for him knowing that he's going to be a UFA at the end of upcoming season.
Well that's definitely not how it came out. I mean obviously nobody's going to trade for him when it's already into the season (before Week 8). That way he would miss OTA's, training camp, etc.

Turner is expected to be traded before the draft or on draft day, no later.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM    (permalink
vonbrynt

Remember the Chargers have shown in the past that they are willing to keep a player on roster and let them walk the next season. Drew Brees was able to hit the open market. That is why AJ holds all of the cards. He knows that if/when Turner hits the open market, his cost is going to be a lot higher because there will be more than a few teams trying to buy his services and that will drive his cost up. If the deal doesn't make sense to AJ, he isn't going to make the move. The Titans and Bills came to the Chargers, not the other way around so they obviously have interest in Turner. There has also been some rumblings here in San Diego that GB has shown some interest.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbrynt View Post
Remember the Chargers have shown in the past that they are willing to keep a player on roster and let them walk the next season. Drew Brees was able to hit the open market. That is why AJ holds all of the cards. He knows that if/when Turner hits the open market, his cost is going to be a lot higher because there will be more than a few teams trying to buy his services and that will drive his cost up. If the deal doesn't make sense to AJ, he isn't going to make the move. The Titans and Bills came to the Chargers, not the other way around so they obviously have interest in Turner. There has also been some rumblings here in San Diego that GB has shown some interest.
Green Bay has no interest. I can provide a link for that. It is down to the Bills and Titans.

In Brees' case, he was the starter. Turner is a backup and his value probably will never be higher than this. Smith was able to create his value by slapping him with the highest franchise tag (1st and a 3rd). Also, this time before the draft and draft day will be the only time that Smith will be able to deal Turner because the Bills and Titans will end up addressing RB via the draft if they don't get Turner. I'll say it again too, don't underestimate networking. The fact that Levy and Smith already have a working relationship is huge, IMO.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha, do you really believe that? Then why has said that he is willing to accept less than a 1st and a 3rd?
Well, the question was "Is AJ satisfied with having Turner for another year and then losing him for nothing next year?" and AJ has stated numerous times that he is fine with that situation.

Having the best backup RB in the league in the middle of an attempt at a Superbowl run is nothing to be sneezed at, especially when your offense is so RB-based.

So yes, I do believe that. Everyone is talking about how Turner is worth a 2nd most or whatever, or a 3rd next year: What are we going to do with those picks? The Chargers' needs are WR and Safety, and after that: just depth in a couple areas.

Since we already have 4 first day picks to fill those holes, it would take a special offer to get a guy considered an asset to the team away rom AJ. He's willing to take less than a 1 and 3 because if some team REALLY believes in Turner (1st rounder) than he's going to get the deal done. Otherwise, he's not. Hence, he's holding the cards.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
vonbrynt

The point I was making is that AJ still allowed a player that had value to remain on the team and not trade him away just for the sake of getting something in return. AJ realizes the talent of Turner and by placing such a high value to him, he assures his team the power to negotiate a possible trade with a prospective team. The danger is you tender him lower and a team comes in a negotiates a deal with Turner and forces the Chargers to match or lose. The Chargers lose any bargaining chips they may have had. Look what happened to Seattle with Hutchinson. The Vikings were willing to lose the draft pick and negotiated a deal that they knew the Seahawks could not match, They basically stole Hutchinson away from them. AJ is too smart for that to happen.
I think the relationship that AJ has with the Bills absolutely puts them in front but the deal has to be good for both sides for it to happen.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Well, the question was "Is AJ satisfied with having Turner for another year and then losing him for nothing next year?" and AJ has stated numerous times that he is fine with that situation.

Having the best backup RB in the league in the middle of an attempt at a Superbowl run is nothing to be sneezed at, especially when your offense is so RB-based.

So yes, I do believe that. Everyone is talking about how Turner is worth a 2nd most or whatever, or a 3rd next year: What are we going to do with those picks? The Chargers' needs are WR and Safety, and after that: just depth in a couple areas.

Since we already have 4 first day picks to fill those holes, it would take a special offer to get a guy considered an asset to the team away rom AJ. He's willing to take less than a 1 and 3 because if some team REALLY believes in Turner (1st rounder) than he's going to get the deal done. Otherwise, he's not. Hence, he's holding the cards.
I said that Turner is worth a 2nd and a 3rd, spread out over two years. That would be the most fair trade for everyone. I agree with you that he is in no hurry to trade Turner, but I think that he will definitely trade Turner if that deal is offered to him. Nobody is going to give up a 1st. The only deal that could happen would be a #12 and #30 swap, which would still be giving up alot on the Bills part.

Turner's worth on SD is really up in the air for me. Sure, he can take some wear off LT, but so can many RB's, and definitely under $2.35 million. Plus, Sproles is a serviceable KR. You mentioned that you have 4 first day picks. You have to remember that, from what I have read, you aren't really in great cap shape right now and signing 4 day one picks isn't going to help that.

In the end, I think it will come down to how valuable Turner is as a backup RB and KR to the Chargers. IMO, he can be replaced easily. I mean he only had 80 carries and 2 TD's last year. If you want alot of production from your backup RB, sure keep Turner around. But if you just want a guy to let LT rest, there are plenty of RB's in FA and in the draft that can do that for much less $. Plus, you will end up getting great value for him. I guess we will have to see.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbrynt View Post
The point I was making is that AJ still allowed a player that had value to remain on the team and not trade him away just for the sake of getting something in return. AJ realizes the talent of Turner and by placing such a high value to him, he assures his team the power to negotiate a possible trade with a prospective team. The danger is you tender him lower and a team comes in a negotiates a deal with Turner and forces the Chargers to match or lose. The Chargers lose any bargaining chips they may have had. Look what happened to Seattle with Hutchinson. The Vikings were willing to lose the draft pick and negotiated a deal that they knew the Seahawks could not match, They basically stole Hutchinson away from them. AJ is too smart for that to happen.
I think the relationship that AJ has with the Bills absolutely puts them in front but the deal has to be good for both sides for it to happen.
Well the Brees situation really isn't a good example. He was the starting QB coming off a great year. Some indications were that Rivers would be traded and Brees would be kept. Obviously this didn't happen because of Brees' shoulder and the Chargers worry that it wouldn't heal properly.

IMO, trading Brees would be like trading LT. That obviously isn't the case. Nobody in their right mind is going to trade a premeir player at their position just to get value for them because they will be a FA the next year, especially at positions like QB or RB.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Buffalo can draft a RB to pair with Anthony Thomas and Tennessee drafted LenDale White with its 06 2nd round pick, they can avoid Turner and proceed business as usual. Hanging on to Turner to keep a Super Bowl run alive in case Tomlinson goes down to injury is certainly understandable, but so is the reality that if San Diego doesn't get anything for Turner now, then they'll have to wait until the 2009 Draft for a compensatory pick (assuming of course they don't sign anyone in the 08 off-season to offset Turner's signing elsewhere in any way).

By the way, I only said that Turner was unproven as a primary back, unlike Willis McGahee or Travis Henry who the teams in question willingly parted ways with, as opposed to your "so talentless" claim.
Yeah, I agree with all of that, which is why I think neither team "needs" to get a deal done. I didn't mean to come off addressing the "so talentless" part to your post though, that was more of general blanket statement on some of the criticism I have heard given to him by others. It's true he's unproven as a starter also, I wasn't debating that, it's just he's given no indication he can't do it.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I said that Turner is worth a 2nd and a 3rd, spread out over two years. That would be the most fair trade for everyone. I agree with you that he is in no hurry to trade Turner, but I think that he will definitely trade Turner if that deal is offered to him. Nobody is going to give up a 1st. The only deal that could happen would be a #12 and #30 swap, which would still be giving up alot on the Bills part.

Turner's worth on SD is really up in the air for me. Sure, he can take some wear off LT, but so can many RB's, and definitely under $2.35 million. Plus, Sproles is a serviceable KR. You mentioned that you have 4 first day picks. You have to remember that, from what I have read, you aren't really in great cap shape right now and signing 4 day one picks isn't going to help that.

In the end, I think it will come down to how valuable Turner is as a backup RB and KR to the Chargers. IMO, he can be replaced easily. I mean he only had 80 carries and 2 TD's last year. If you want alot of production from your backup RB, sure keep Turner around. But if you just want a guy to let LT rest, there are plenty of RB's in FA and in the draft that can do that for much less $. Plus, you will end up getting great value for him. I guess we will have to see.
Just for the record, we are in fine cap shape. We will be frugal in FA for a long time, because we need to re-sign guys like Merriman, Mcneill, Castillo, Rivers, Jackson, and Olshansky to name a few.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
ginpo

Fwiw...

Draft Sharks
BREAKING NEWS
April 10, 2007
=============

** Our Titans source tells us the team is "indeed very interested" in nabbing restricted free-agent Chargers RB Michael Turner after a "wonderful visit" to Nashville last week. The buzz is that the Titans offered their 19th overall pick and a 3rd-rounder for Turner and San Diego's 30th overall pick. So basically San Diego would just move up 11 spots in the 1st round plus add a 3rd-round pick. Turner's restricted tender actually calls for an extra 1st- (not just swapping up) and 3rd-rounder in compensation, so it's up to Chargers GM A.J. Smith to accept this lesser offer in a sign-and-trade deal. However, our source also says not only is Buffalo "really after him" but Green Bay is now "in the mix" as well... Fantasy Nation is watching this situation closely because not only could it shake up the NFL Draft with exchanged picks, many experts see Turner as capable of top-10 fantasy status in a feature role.

Thanks,
John Miller
Managing Editor
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
parcells
Rookie

parcells hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpo View Post
Fwiw...

Draft Sharks
BREAKING NEWS
April 10, 2007
=============

** Our Titans source tells us the team is "indeed very interested" in nabbing restricted free-agent Chargers RB Michael Turner after a "wonderful visit" to Nashville last week. The buzz is that the Titans offered their 19th overall pick and a 3rd-rounder for Turner and San Diego's 30th overall pick. So basically San Diego would just move up 11 spots in the 1st round plus add a 3rd-round pick. Turner's restricted tender actually calls for an extra 1st- (not just swapping up) and 3rd-rounder in compensation, so it's up to Chargers GM A.J. Smith to accept this lesser offer in a sign-and-trade deal. However, our source also says not only is Buffalo "really after him" but Green Bay is now "in the mix" as well... Fantasy Nation is watching this situation closely because not only could it shake up the NFL Draft with exchanged picks, many experts see Turner as capable of top-10 fantasy status in a feature role.

Thanks,
John Miller
Managing Editor
So it seems like a minimum offer has been set, and Green Bay or Buffalo could trump this offer by basically making the same offer (switch 1sts, add a 3rd). I'm not sure about GB, but I'll be very surprised if Buffalo doesn't make a move for Turner.

The math for that comes out as 875 + 140 - 620 = 395, which is between #50 or #51 in the draft. Buffalo's 2nd and 3rd this year would total 690, which is around #25.
parcells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcells View Post
So it seems like a minimum offer has been set, and Green Bay or Buffalo could trump this offer by basically making the same offer (switch 1sts, add a 3rd). I'm not sure about GB, but I'll be very surprised if Buffalo doesn't make a move for Turner.

The math for that comes out as 875 + 140 - 620 = 395, which is between #50 or #51 in the draft. Buffalo's 2nd and 3rd this year would total 690, which is around #25.
Im positive repping you because of your sn, and the fact that I have a mancrush on Bill Parcells.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on Thompson's outlook on FA/trades, I'd be stunned if the pack made a deal for Turner.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Super Bill (Orchard Park, NY): Mort, you're coming to Upstate NY! We'll roll out the welcoming mat for sure.

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: (4:08 PM ET ) That's going to be a great night with the Bills getting back on Monday night. ..especially against the Cowboys. I'm on record as saying I don't like how the Bills proceeded this off-season but I think they can still be competitive and I do really like their coaching staff. They do have to get an RB, as you know - I hear they may have offered a 2nd rounder to San Diego for Turner but that's not enough, apparently. They also have to get an LB and Patrick Willis will be tempting with that first pick.

From ESPN Chat with Mort, (BTW, this wasn't me but I found it).
Old 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

--The Bills continue to talk with the San Diego Chargers about a possible deal for restricted free agent RB Michael Turner. After tendering him a $2.35 million contract, the Chargers are entitled to draft pick compensation of a first- and third-round pick in 2007. Buffalo would have no problem giving up a third-rounder -- it has two this season -- but its first round choice is No. 12 overall. That is way too valued to give up for Turner. If Buffalo somehow were able to trade down into the lower portion of the first round, obtaining more picks or a veteran player they could use to address their many needs, then deal that lower first-round pick for Turner, it would factor out better. Stay tuned. Turner, just 25, has great speed and power and could blossom as a starter after three years backing up LaDainian Tomlinson.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/10117946
Old 04-12-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
--The Bills continue to talk with the San Diego Chargers about a possible deal for restricted free agent RB Michael Turner. After tendering him a $2.35 million contract, the Chargers are entitled to draft pick compensation of a first- and third-round pick in 2007. Buffalo would have no problem giving up a third-rounder -- it has two this season -- but its first round choice is No. 12 overall. That is way too valued to give up for Turner. If Buffalo somehow were able to trade down into the lower portion of the first round, obtaining more picks or a veteran player they could use to address their many needs, then deal that lower first-round pick for Turner, it would factor out better. Stay tuned. Turner, just 25, has great speed and power and could blossom as a starter after three years backing up LaDainian Tomlinson.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/10117946
This will have to be a trade then, because they won't be able to use someone else's first and third round pick to get Turner.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone knows it is going to be a trade if it happens.