Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The more I think about it, the more I get excited about Tyrone Crawford.

When we talked about who we wanted at 14, Cox and Coples were a couple of names that more than a few mentioned, including myself. The fact that we liked Cox and Coples went to the Jets, makes me think that a player in that mold is someone who both Ryan brothers would like. Crawford was one of the few players who fit that mold as well. Played both DT and DE for the Broncos and is known as a pass rusher.

Broddaus said:

Why He's Special: Is a relentless player in his effort...always working to the ball...can handle the double team blocks...will close the hole down inside when asked too...Nice job with his hands...can control blockers...can get the edge as a rusher when he comes from the wide side...wrap up tackler...sideline to sideline type of player...will extend his hands when rushing up the field...nice job of redirection on the screen...wasn't fooled...in position to scoop up a fumble against TCU...then later get sack and cause fumble...finds the ball well...quick inside moves on stunts...avoids blocks...around ball.

Crawford will probably get a lot of playing time this season in the nickel... and that's gonna be a lot. Nickel defense is probably played equally as much as our base defense. So Crawford has the unique skill set to start in the nickel.

<3 Welcome to the dark side! I love the pick and given time to develop I honestly feel Crawford can be a top five, one-gap, 3-4 lineman. He's going to be one hell of a nickel guy though.

I love the difference in our JG/RR draft. We picked smart and instinctive players that are also athletes rather than purely measurable guys with 10 cent heads (Jason Williams I'm looking at you).
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My thoughts on what to expect from this yrs crop.

Mo Claiborne- Lofty Expectations Watching the team climb up the boards to snatch the highest rated defensive prospect in this years draft was a surprising yet much appreciated move to Cowboys Nation. With excitement running through our veins it is impossible not to fantasize on what an upgrade of this magnitude could mean to a Rob Ryan defense. In an off season that has already gifted us with the top rated press corner of free agency to add a smooth cover man who has the ability to shadow the leagues best has fans salivating at the thought of Ryan's complex pressure system's potential. Some fans and even experts are crowning the tandem off Carr and Claiborne one of the leagues tandem's without playing a down. If the pressure to succeed under the bright light of the Dallas Star wasn't enough, praise brought down from Jerry Jones himself, calling Claiborne the highest rated CB only any board since Prime Time might be over bearing. As we know a corners success is 50% mental, having the ability to forget a big catch and rebound to fight another down. In a division highlighted by quick WR's Maclin, Jackson, Moss and Cruz, one miss step can lead to big plays, we must remember as talented as he is, Mo is only a rookie making one of the hardest transitions to make to the pros. What measures success by the end of the season... is anything less then Probowl consideration a failure? Only time will tell what his future holds but his potential already has us seeing stars.

Tyrone Crawford-Patience While researching Crawford there isn't much not to like about the kid. He is long, strong and has motor the runs high every down he is on the field. Crawford has experience rusher the passer from a multitude of positions including 3 tech in a 4-3, 5 tech in a 3-4 and has growth potential to get stronger without sacrificing athleticism. That being said he will need to add another 15 lbs or so to create a solid anchor and to develop a variety of moves before he will be ready to contribute in a starter capacity.

Kyle Wilber-Lighting a Fire Definition of the type of player JG is looking for, is able to overcome a lack of elite athleticism with is ability to read the play and shear will to find the ball. The team has announced that his primary position will be at SAM behind no other the Mr. Franchise himself Anthony Spencer. He comes into the league equip to contribute as a pass rusher having some experience standing up in the 3-4 at Wake Forest. His primary role on the team will come on special teams and sub packages while his body develops. Where his value will show is some time mid season where he will be able to push Butler if not Spencer (who both are in the last year of a deal) for playing time. JG preaches competition to get the best out of his players, bringing in Wilber not only adds depth but could possibly bring the best out of the other edge rushers on the team.

Matt Johnson-Dark Horse Two prospects walk into a room... One is 6'1 211 lbs the other is 6'1 213 lbs.. Both run a 4.54 forty yard dash and leap 10'1 in the broad jump. Both prospects are described as solid tacklers, under rated ball hawks and were 2010 All-Americans who's 2011 years were cut short due to injury. One prospect was drafted in the top ten of this years draft.. the other was drafted in the compensatory 4th rd. Who's who? The answer is Matt Johnson and Mark Barron. Measurables aren't the only link between the two safeties, both were the QB's of their defenses, and were responsible for play calling on the fly. While Johnson may not be as ready as his division 1 counterpart the team feels he has the intangibles to make the leap with some coaching. Johnson has the raw skills to contribute in sub packages year one and impact on special teams. Interesting enough Sensy's contract is set up reasonably over the next three years (1 mill, 3 mil. 4 mil) to let Johnson develop on pace with the standard 3 year bell curve before taking over.

Danny Coale-Not the White Comparison I really like what is see from Danny Coale... he is a guy has good vision as a route runner, is able to find and sit in the soft areas in zone coverage... is fast enough to expose safeties and linebackers miss matches. Coale has a really nice set of hands and rarely lets balls get into his body. With some coaching he might be a good fit as the primary slot WR and can play special teams immediately. The Wes Welker comparisons are silly... Welker is one of the leagues best at turning a short gain upfield for extra yardage. Coale actually struggles after contact and is easily taken down due to a lack of lower body strength. I think he makes the team because of his ability to contribute on special teams... I can see him on the return team..kick off team and punt team, not to mention he can contribute as an emergency punter.

James Hanna-Hybrid Hanna Is he a long term replacement plan for Jason Witten? Too early to tell what he will bring to the table but the team has made a wise decision to give him a whirl. Hanna has the size a speed to create mismatches with linebackers and safeties. If the coaching staff can get Hanna to understand how to use his body he can contribute sooner rather then later... until then he will be burried on the depth chart.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Mo Claiborne- Lofty Expectations Watching the team climb up the boards to snatch the highest rated defensive prospect in this years draft was a surprising yet much appreciated move to Cowboys Nation. With excitement running through our veins it is impossible not to fantasize on what an upgrade of this magnitude could mean to a Rob Ryan defense. In an off season that has already gifted us with the top rated press corner of free agency to add a smooth cover man who has the ability to shadow the leagues best has fans salivating at the thought of Ryan's complex pressure system's potential. Some fans and even experts are crowning the tandem off Carr and Claiborne one of the leagues tandem's without playing a down. If the pressure to succeed under the bright light of the Dallas Star wasn't enough, praise brought down from Jerry Jones himself, calling Claiborne the highest rated CB only any board since Prime Time might be over bearing. As we know a corners success is 50% mental, having the ability to forget a big catch and rebound to fight another down. In a division highlighted by quick WR's Maclin, Jackson, Moss and Cruz, one miss step can lead to big plays, we must remember as talented as he is, Mo is only a rookie making one of the hardest transitions to make to the pros. What measures success by the end of the season... is anything less then Probowl consideration a failure? Only time will tell what his future holds but his potential already has us seeing stars.

Tyrone Crawford-Patience While researching Crawford there isn't much not to like about the kid. He is long, strong and has motor the runs high every down he is on the field. Crawford has experience rusher the passer from a multitude of positions including 3 tech in a 4-3, 5 tech in a 3-4 and has growth potential to get stronger without sacrificing athleticism. That being said he will need to add another 15 lbs or so to create a solid anchor and to develop a variety of moves before he will be ready to contribute in a starter capacity.

Kyle Wilber-Lighting a Fire Definition of the type of player JG is looking for, is able to overcome a lack of elite athleticism with is ability to read the play and shear will to find the ball. The team has announced that his primary position will be at SAM behind no other the Mr. Franchise himself Anthony Spencer. He comes into the league equip to contribute as a pass rusher having some experience standing up in the 3-4 at Wake Forest. His primary role on the team will come on special teams and sub packages while his body develops. Where his value will show is some time mid season where he will be able to push Butler if not Spencer (who both are in the last year of a deal) for playing time. JG preaches competition to get the best out of his players, bringing in Wilber not only adds depth but could possibly bring the best out of the other edge rushers on the team.

Matt Johnson-Dark Horse Two prospects walk into a room... One is 6'1 211 lbs the other is 6'1 213 lbs.. Both run a 4.54 forty yard dash and leap 10'1 in the broad jump. Both prospects are described as solid tacklers, under rated ball hawks and were 2010 All-Americans who's 2011 years were cut short due to injury. One prospect was drafted in the top ten of this years draft.. the other was drafted in the compensatory 4th rd. Who's who? The answer is Matt Johnson and Mark Barron. Measurables aren't the only link between the two safeties, both were the QB's of their defenses, and were responsible for play calling on the fly. While Johnson may not be as ready as his division 1 counterpart the team feels he has the intangibles to make the leap with some coaching. Johnson has the raw skills to contribute in sub packages year one and impact on special teams. Interesting enough Sensy's contract is set up reasonably over the next three years (1 mill, 3 mil. 4 mil) to let Johnson develop on pace with the standard 3 year bell curve before taking over.

Danny Coale-Not the White Comparison I really like what is see from Danny Coale... he is a guy has good vision as a route runner, is able to find and sit in the soft areas in zone coverage... is fast enough to expose safeties and linebackers miss matches. Coale has a really nice set of hands and rarely lets balls get into his body. With some coaching he might be a good fit as the primary slot WR and can play special teams immediately. The Wes Welker comparisons are silly... Welker is one of the leagues best at turning a short gain upfield for extra yardage. Coale actually struggles after contact and is easily taken down due to a lack of lower body strength. I think he makes the team because of his ability to contribute on special teams... I can see him on the return team..kick off team and punt team, not to mention he can contribute as an emergency punter.

James Hanna-Hybrid Hanna Is he a long term replacement plan for Jason Witten? Too early to tell what he will bring to the table but the team has made a wise decision to give him a whirl. Hanna has the size a speed to create mismatches with linebackers and safeties. If the coaching staff can get Hanna to understand how to use his body he can contribute sooner rather then later... until then he will be burried on the depth chart.
Excellent write up! I especially loved the secret Matt Johnson/Mark Barron comparison!

I'm with everyone else, in that I love the upgrades we made at cornerback this season... BUT... I still have a hidden fear that the secondary will still be the biggest weakness of our defense. I'll probably feel that way until the day we finally solve FS.

Hopefully that is as soon as next year's draft that is loaded with FS talent. I just have this belief that in football, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Offensive Coordinators will try to find the biggest match up advantages and try to expose it over and over again. Best case scenario, Brodney Pool is an upgrae over Abe Elam and doesn't get hurt. But if I'm bracing myself for worse than that. Really nitpicking here, so I'm not feeling like the sky is falling or anything. Just wanted to express my concern that Safety could still be problematic for us, and hinder the true impact our new CBs will bring.

As for Crawford, honestly, I keep flip flopping on him. I'll read something and get really jacked up... but when I watch the Youtube clips on him, I come away really depressed. I don't see it. I really don't. he doesn't fight through blocks very well at all. Motor...? Really??? I'll keep my faith in Garrett and company, and will withhold judgement until he's added the weight that they want him to add. But I don't see him having too much success attacking backfields in the NFL in his current mold. If Lissemore and/or Geathers succeed, I could honestly even see Crawford playing at OLB instead.

Matt Johnson is the guy that I want the Cowboys to hit on! It would be so sweet for the scouting department if Johnson turns out to be a great player. You gotta love everything you hear about him and hope it translates to the NFL.

Coale is another guy that I won't put high expectations on. Just gonna let him ride it out and see how far he can go.

I don't think Hanna is going to be Witten's replacement, but I do think he could have a solid career as a #2 TE.

Again, nice writeup W4HOF!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Let me say the following, while I have been unhappy with our drafts in the past. I strongly believe where we have failed is in player development. That is on Coaches.

Another side treat to stronger player development is that the players bond more and trust more then an FA.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Let me say the following, while I have been unhappy with our drafts in the past. I strongly believe where we have failed is in player development. That is on Coaches.

Another side treat to stronger player development is that the players bond more and trust more then an FA.
I can't really think of somebody who we drafted and failed to develop only to see them move on and be really successful elsewhere after we let them go. Would be cool to be reminded though. Who ya got on your mind?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't really think of somebody who we drafted and failed to develop only to see them move on and be really successful elsewhere after we let them go. Would be cool to be reminded though. Who ya got on your mind?
Walden comes to mind, although that's not a perfect example since we cut him in 2008 in training camp and 2 other teams did as well, before he figured out how to play and went to Green Bay.

Camp Cupcake, or whatever Wade used to call training camp did no favors to guys like Spencer, and it's nice to see Garrett with a more no-nonsense approach.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Stephen Jones said after they picked Kyle Wilber, the Redskins called them to congratulate them on taking thier guy. Skins ended up taking Keenan Robinson 6 picks later. It'll be interesting to see who pans out being better.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Stephen Jones said after they picked Kyle Wilber, the Redskins called them to congratulate them on taking thier guy. Skins ended up taking Keenan Robinson 6 picks later. It'll be interesting to see who pans out being better.
Dont you find that hard to believe? Why give the Cowboys the satisfaction of knowing we scooped their guy up right in front of them? I know if it were me, i would throw out a few curse words and move on.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Dont you find that hard to believe? Why give the Cowboys the satisfaction of knowing we scooped their guy up right in front of them? I know if it were me, i would throw out a few curse words and move on.
I don't think teams do it for every pick, but once in a while sure. The Niners called us when we took Sean Lee. I agree, I'd probably curse a few choice words and not give them the satisfaction of knowing, but I don't think teams share the same angst against each other like us fans do. LOL.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

He also talked about NT and why they keep avoiding the need to get a true big man. For one, Wade and Rob both said they could scheme around it and two, Ratliff likes the position too much. They realize his career could be extended if he moved away from it, but apparently they don't care about that enough to force them to sway away from their draft strategy. There is some hope that Brent could help out in that capacity...said Geathers can be moved around the DL, as well as Lissemore who is more of Ratliff's mold. They aren't purposely avoiding it, in fact, that's why they were gonna take Brockers at 14 because they felt he could provide that.

Last edited by D-Unit : 05-03-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think teams do it for every pick, but once in a while sure. The Niners called us when we took Sean Lee. I agree, I'd probably curse a few choice words and not give them the satisfaction of knowing, but I don't think teams share the same angst against each other like us fans do. LOL.
If I remember right we were pretty interested in Navarro Bowman and rated him with first round grade just behind Lee. Worked out pretty well for both teams in this case.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Smiled the whole time watching. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...9C4C40A1&cat=0
Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Smiled the whole time watching. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...9C4C40A1&cat=0
That's good stuff.

I know we've beat this to death, but I can't help but be optimistic for the long term because I really think JG has a plan and is executing that plan.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
That's good stuff.

I know we've beat this to death, but I can't help but be optimistic for the long term because I really think JG has a plan and is executing that plan.
Yup. I like this plan a lot. Thing about it, is that it's not rocket science or innovative, it's just simple and committed... taking high character guys, with great motors who have the skill set to succeed at their positions and then sticking like a mofo with that plan and not tricking yourself into swaying away from it.

Hope it works out. The more I hear about Kyle Wilber the more I get amped about him too. Adrian Hamilton making waves in camp too. Brilliant!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if this has been posted or not. But a breakdown of exactly how the draft fell and who we were targeting in each round.

Quote:
The Cowboys went on the clock seven times last weekend in the NFL draft. That’s seven chances to get better, seven chances to build optimism and momentum for the 2012 season.
The Cowboys entered the draft with eight selections and six pressing needs: pass rusher, cornerback, interior blocker, safety, wide receiver and tight end.
Let’s take a peek behind the curtain at Valley Ranch and see how the Cowboys went about their business selecting those players. Here’s an anatomy of the draft as seen through the eyes of the Cowboys:
First round: The Cowboys hoped Michael Brockers, Mark Barron and David DeCastro would all be available for them in the first round but realistically expected either Barron or Brockers to be gone by the time they went on the clock at 14.
When Minnesota traded out of the three spot, costing Tampa Bay the chance to get running back Trent Richardson, the door opened for cornerback Morris Claiborne, the best defensive player in the draft, to slide to 6.
Stephen Jones laid pre-draft groundwork for a trade with the Rams should Claiborne be available at 6. He was, and it came at a hefty cost to the Cowboys — their second-round draft pick.
Second round: Sitting out the entire second round was painful for Jerry Jones. Wisconsin center Peter Konz was still on the board, as was Oklahoma wide receiver Ryan Broyles. Both would have addressed a need.
Jones had a hankering to move up into the second and get back into the game — but it would have cost him a first- or second-round pick in 2013. So Jones endured the pain.
Third round: The team’s top priority was a pass rusher — and trading away that second cost the Cowboys a chance at getting one of the better ones. Seventeen edge rushers came off the board before the Cowboys went on the clock in the third round at 81.
So they took the best rusher — and best player — on their board in Tyrone Crawford. He has the strength to play strongside end but, at 6-4, 275 pounds, the Cowboys want him bigger. He’ll likely be a rotation end off the bench in 2012, projecting as a starter in 2013.
The Cowboys also liked SMU guard Josh LeRibeus in this round but he went to Washington at 71.
Fourth round: The Cowboys still had pressing needs entering the non-premium rounds: tight end, wide receiver, interior blocker, safety and another pass rusher.
The Cowboys liked Southern Cal tight end Rhett Ellison and Fresno State wideout Devon Wylie in this round, but the pass rush board was thinning fast. The best 22 edge rushers were gone by the 113th pick so the Cowboys knew they couldn’t wait. Philadelphia led the NFL with 50 sacks last season but still took two pass rushers in their first three picks of this draft.
So the Cowboys took the best available pass rusher on their board in Kyle Wilber. He was a high-character, high-motor player. He also projects as a starter in 2013 but should be a top-shelf special teams performer in the meantime.
With their second selection of the round, the Cowboys took small-school, playmaking safety Matt Johnson (17 career interceptions at Eastern Washington) at 135. Another high-character, high-motor. Ryan will have some packages that feature his ball skills, but he also doesn’t figure to push for a starting spot until 2013.
Fifth round: A tight end, wide receiver and interior blocker remained needs.
SMU tight end Taylor Thompson was in the discussion but went to Tennessee at 145. The Cowboys also discussed offensive linemen Rokevious Watkins of South Carolina, but he went to St. Louis at 150.
Fourteen guards and centers were gone by the time the Cowboys went on the clock at 152. So the Cowboys opted to go skill and took the 22nd wide receiver of the draft — another high-character, high-motor guy in Danny Coale. The Cowboys timed him in the 40 at 4.37. That gives him a chance. He projects as a fourth or fifth wideout in 2012 but should be one of Joe DeCamillis’ top special teams performers.
Sixth round: Having lost Martellus Bennett, the Cowboys desperately needed to come away from this draft with a tight end, and the clock was ticking. It was one of the thinnest positions in this draft, and the top eight prospects were gone by the time the Cowboys went on the clock at 186.
So they took Oklahoma’s James Hanna, who has upside as a receiver but needs an inordinate amount of work as a blocker. Another high-character, high-motor guy who needs to get stronger. The Cowboys will find ways to use him off the bench in passing situations this fall, and he did cover his share of kicks at Oklahoma.
Seventh round: By this point the Cowboys resigned themselves to the fact that they weren’t going to get any help on the offensive line. That was OK because the Cowboys still need to figure out what they have in young blockers David Arkin, Bill Nagy and Kevin Kowalski, who all arrived the previous April.
A pair of North Carolina Staters, wideout J.R. Sweezy and defensive tackle Markus Kuhn, were considerations at 222 as was South Carolina safety Antonio Allen. But the Cowboys stuck to their board and took the best player available, inside linebacker Caleb McSurdy. Here’s a surprise — another high-character, high-motor guy. Team captain, too.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...d-by-round.ece

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I didn't see that before. Thanks a lot man. Really cool insight. I thought they might like Wylie. He's kind of like a white version of Dwayne Harris. Very shifty and compact.

Happy to see the way they went overall and happy that they got sniped too. Though I would've been thrilled if they took Antonio Allen in the 7th. :)
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...wanted-him.ece

Pretty cool. More than half the NFL was trying to sign Saalim Hakim.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...wanted-him.ece

Pretty cool. More than half the NFL was trying to sign Saalim Hakim.
odds are he'll be on the practice squad, but if that many teams liked him i wouldn't be surprised if a team late in the season signed him off the practice squad
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
odds are he'll be on the practice squad, but if that many teams liked him i wouldn't be surprised if a team late in the season signed him off the practice squad
I've kind of lost track at who all our WRs are... If we kept 5 or 6 on the 53 roster, I guess it could look like...

Miles Austin
Dez Bryant
Danny Coale - His versatility to play outside or inside is gonna be a big key and probably help the WR depth chart to stay at 5 intead of 6 bodies.

Then I'd like to see Dwyane Harris and Andre Holmes. Love Harris, purely as a slot and I think Holmes gives us a size advantage.

Hopefully Ogletree is out. Beasley, I don't think will make it. I think Radway is also on the outs. Donovan and Little have no chance, imo.

I think the battles will be:

Hakim vs Harris vs Beasley for slot.
Radway vs Holmes vs Ogletree vs Benford for #4 WR

We may end up putting Harris on the practice squad and keep Hakim. We know Harris made his way back to our PS before. Unsure if Hakim would. It'll be interesting battles to watch for sure.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've kind of lost track at who all our WRs are... If we kept 5 or 6 on the 53 roster, I guess it could look like...

Miles Austin
Dez Bryant
Danny Coale - His versatility to play outside or inside is gonna be a big key and probably help the WR depth chart to stay at 5 intead of 6 bodies.

Then I'd like to see Dwyane Harris and Andre Holmes. Love Harris, purely as a slot and I think Holmes gives us a size advantage.

Hopefully Ogletree is out. Beasley, I don't think will make it. I think Radway is also on the outs. Donovan and Little have no chance, imo.

I think the battles will be:

Hakim vs Harris vs Beasley for slot.
Radway vs Holmes vs Ogletree vs Benford for #4 WR

We may end up putting Harris on the practice squad and keep Hakim. We know Harris made his way back to our PS before. Unsure if Hakim would. It'll be interesting battles to watch for sure.
i think order so far is

1. austin
2. bryant

and after that its toss up, my gut tells me harris will be third reciever with coale right behind him. so that puts the final spot between ogletree, radway, beasley and hakim and that battle will come down to who plays the best special teams players specifically a returner, so i think that would be radway with hakim to the practice squad. but im not counting out ogletree just yet. he might finally show up this year
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another name that caught my eye. Be interesting to see how we use our TE's this year now that tellus is gone.

Quote:
Zach Ertz, 6-6, 249, Stanford*
Ertz will not have former Cardinal quarterback Andrew Luck throwing to him in 2012, and he must stay healthy after hurting his right knee on a kickoff return last season. But this bullish runner has strong hands and just enough speed to utilize his size down the seam against smaller defenders. He has potential as a three-down contributor if he can block more consistently.
NFL comparison: Jason Witten

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i think order so far is

1. austin
2. bryant

and after that its toss up, my gut tells me harris will be third reciever with coale right behind him. so that puts the final spot between ogletree, radway, beasley and hakim and that battle will come down to who plays the best special teams players specifically a returner, so i think that would be radway with hakim to the practice squad. but im not counting out ogletree just yet. he might finally show up this year

WR3 is going to be a problem this year, I can already see it now. That's a TON of production we are leaving out there with Laurent leaving and expecting a bunch of rookies & unproven players to fill that role. If Dez or Austin get hurt/suspended defenses are going to double and triple cover 1 of Austin or Dez, whoever is out there, and man coverage on everyone else.

I am not excited about a line-up that makes Ogletree our #2 and someone like Coale our #3. There is also a solid chance Austin & Dez have to miss the same game this year. It's not like either guy is the most durable in the world.

Now it's better then having only 2 CB's which is what we have always done, but eventually the WR position is going to bite us this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

If there's one position on the team that matters least, it's WR3. So there's some comfort in that. Many teams have weaknesses, so I'm grateful we're worried about that one.

My bigger concern is at C with Costa... and our 2 sorry ass Safeties... and I still hate that we lack a big NT.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Interesting stuff.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ospects/page/6

Quote:
Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma
Oklahoma’s Tony Jefferson is an excellent athlete who reminds me a lot of Seattle Seahawks’ safety Earl Thomas. It’s his ability to lineup in man coverage that most resembles Thomas’ game. Most safeties have a hard time finding success when in man coverage. However, Jefferson has the quickness and fluidity to hold his own.

The Sooners use Jefferson a lot in deep coverage. His quick-twitch ability gives him the range needed to cover a lot of ground. Jefferson also does a good job reading the quarterback and deciphering information.

He’s an aggressive run defender who looks to deliver bit hits. Jefferson needs to become more disciplined in his run defense, as he has a tendency to take some poor angles. However, his effort and athleticism mean he has tremendous upside.
Quote:
Chance Warmack, Alabama
Alabama has a few good offensive line prospects, but Chance Warmack is the most talented of the bunch. He’s a powerful and athletic guard who immediately stands out if you focus on the offensive line play. Warmack explodes off the line delivering a powerful jolt. This jolt knocks defenders off balance and allows him to get a good push off the line.

He’s such a talented run blocker because of his inside hand placement, heavy hands that Velcro to the defender and balance to generate a push. This is one of the top overall run blockers in the entire country.

Warmack isn’t just a power player, he also has the quickness to be an effective pass protector. He quickly shuffles his feet to mirror the rusher, and has the anchor to absorb contact. This is an elite player who should hear his name called early next April.
Quote:
Dion Jordan, Oregon
Oregon’s Dion Jordan is an electrifying athlete who plays with a high motor. He uses his quickness and suddenness to generate pressure on the quarterback. He’s one of the most explosive pass-rushers in this draft class, and excels at attacking the edge.

Jordan has ultra-quick hands that he uses to keep clean as he rushes the passer. Offensive linemen have a hard time keeping him engaged because of those hands and his quickness. He isn’t just an athlete, as he shows a great feel for the game. The sky is the limit for this prospect.

One of the most interesting things about Jordan is the way Oregon uses him in coverage. At times, you will see him lined up on the outside in press coverage. The idea is to have Jordan disrupt the timing of the route then drop off into the flat. This just shows what type of athlete he is and the versatility of his game.

His tall and lanky build limits his potential as a defensive end prospect. There’s little doubt that he’ll be selected by a team looking for a pass-rushing linebacker.

This is only a starting point for Jordan, as he has the most potential as anyone in this draft class.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know Tyrann Matheiau is way overrated as an NFL prospect, but if he's on the board in the 3rd round I'd run to the podium, especially for our defense. Give me as many playmakers as possible, and he's a guy for returns so we don't need to worry about Dez back there anymore.

With Jenkins clearly not coming back next year because we simply don't have the money, Matheiau is someone I'd love in the 3rd-4th round.
TheFlash (CDCB) is offline   Reply With Quote