Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default How long will it be before Youtube becomes a major marketing tool by Football?

I was thinking about this earlier. Marketing is a major part of running a successful business. You see many musicians using youtube as a means of marketing their product and creating a buzz for themselves. Youtube has become a major tool for businesses to promote their product.

For example, 50 cent has a deal with youtube that he profits off of every single video that has the words 50 cent on it. He uses youtube to promote music videos, and mixtapes. He uses it to promote his underground artists.

When will the NFL, and college players alike starting doing the same? College players can use highlight clips etc and post them on youtube as a means of creating a buzz for their draft status. Info on the net that is readily accessible to the masses will create messageboard buzz that can eventually trickle to scouts and in turn raise draft status.

These highlight clips will in turn provide marketing for college football, and will garner more interest in the sport. Ratings will increase.

Right now, the NFL has a strict policy on copyright infringement. Anything NFL related on youtube gets taken down immediately. I think thats a mistake. By allowing classic clips etc of the NFL to be on youtube, they would have an extra source of marketing available to the masses to create a buzz for their product. I think theyre hindering the amount of interest they can generate by forbidding clips on youtube.

Why not just make a deal with youtube like 50 cent did? I think eventually youtube will get to a point where you can't control its copy right infringements, so the NFL might as well cash in while they can. I think it will eventually happen. How long it will take before they realize this is the question though.

Slow NFL day. Im curious to hear your thoughts on this subject matter.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, no one cares huh?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NHL is doing something along the lines of this. They show the top plays of yesterday's games throughout the season and I'm unsure if it has helped them at all.

NBC does this and they are enjoying quite a wave of success, even gaining some interest back into SNL (with Dick in a Box and Lazy Sunday) which has paid dividends.

Now I do think the NFL will eventually start marketing via YouTube and other video sites but I think there will be a test trial by Arena Football (that's my hypothesis, not a real news story) or NFL Europa that makes the NFL use their decision. The NFL is the biggest moneymaker in sports thanks to TV, Fantasy Football, Jerseys, etc.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Star Wideout
Veteran

Star Wideout hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Judging by the NFL's current stance on YouTube or any other videos not licensed by them. I'd say Never.

They're so retentive about it.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha you know what's funny, you type in reggie bush and look for one of his touchdowns, and they are taken down. But, if you look at reggie bush and sheldon brown, or reggie bush "jacked up" there's hundreds of the same clip still on there.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO they shot themselves in the foot when they took off the majority of the NFL plays on youtube, I mean come on... People can see some of the great plays made by players every sunday, instead they take those plays off. Who knows who is going to show those plays to a friend or something, maybe that would grab their attention and could get them interested in football. Instead they took them all pretty much off.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
IMO they shot themselves in the foot when they took off the majority of the NFL plays on youtube, I mean come on... People can see some of the great plays made by players every sunday, instead they take those plays off. Who knows who is going to show those plays to a friend or something, maybe that would grab their attention and could get them interested in football. Instead they took them all pretty much off.
And thats what I don't get. With the internet being such a powerful marketing tool, they should expand their venues. Do they honestly think everyone will go to nfl.com and check out highlights?

Alot of people on youtube will stumble onto an NFL clip while surfing, and be like wow and that will catch their interest. They will generate more interest in their sport.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
And thats what I don't get. With the internet being such a powerful marketing tool, they should expand their venues. Do they honestly think everyone will go to nfl.com and check out highlights?

Alot of people on youtube will stumble onto an NFL clip while surfing, and be like wow and that will catch their interest. They will generate more interest in their sport.
I was actually thinking about this the other day when my friend and I were looking for clips and weren't having that much luck (especially with old school players)...
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the NFL should make its own football video highlight website.(not NFL.com)

make like an NFL youtube. Show clips of players past andd present. Just type in a guys name and come up with a bunch of his highlights.
just an idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

make like an NFL youtube. Show clips of players past andd present. Just type in a guys name and come up with a bunch of his highlights.
just an idea
That won't work. You want to target a larger audience that wouldn't necessarily look for NFL highlights, but would "stumble" onto it and garner interest in the sport.

Youtube can do that for you. It targets a much larger audience. Making an NFL film website wouldn't target any new people to your sport. Just diehard fans like us who they have by the balls anyway.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it would be a great idea, Barcelona (Spanish soccer team) has their own official FC Barcelona Youtube page. They have interviews, highlights, Barca commercials and other team related stuff(The page is new, so there isn't a lot of clips yet). Now imagine if an NFL team had it's own page, and if it's done right....it could become like a one-stop resource for your favorite team.

Last edited by slightlyaraiderfan : 04-12-2007 at 03:12 PM.
slightlyaraiderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
I think it would be a great idea, Barcelona (Spanish soccer team) has their own official FC Barcelona Youtube page. They have interviews, highlights, Barca commercials and other team related stuff. Now imagine if an NFL team had it's own page, and it it's done right....it could become like a one-stop resource for your favorite team.
Exactly. And thats what I don't get. If executed properly, it would bring in more revenue. Theyre trying to consolidate everything into their own inner circle, ie nflnetwork, nfl.com, nflfilms etc. But by doing that, theyre hindering their ability to reach a more diverse audience.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A friend of mine just got a full ride to James Madison. JMU put a video of him on Youtube, why... I dont know

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think its a mistake, for big fans of football it doesn't matter at all, but people who aren't familar with football can see great plays could be encouraged to watch more of it. Especially in Europe and the rest of the World.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2 years, 3 months, 74 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes, and 13 seconds to be exact.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

It makes sense to start working with websites such as Youtube instead of against them. They're the future and the NFL is being short-sighted by taking all the videos down. It's just a matter of some of these old-timers realizing that change is coming and they're going to have to adjust their techniques to keep up with the time. It's very similar with the problem record companies are having right now. They can't figure out how to change their revenue streams to take advantage of a service like Youtube or file-sharing programs.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should have their page on youtube, like Barcelona does. It would definetly help the marketing issue and expansion of the NFL's fan base.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i doubt it since they are taking nfl videos off youtube since they dont have perminsion to have it on there

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
Amari Cooper or Melvin Gordon Please
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:42 AM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

just an idea
They used to have one.....NFLFilmsTV.com. Unfortunately, it went away around the same time the NFL made a deal with IBM to digitize decades of NFL game footage.

It was an absolutely incredible website, with an unbelievable amount of content.

Well whaddya know.....

One of the web designers who created the site has recreated it and made it available as part of his portfolio.

http://www.sioli.com/filmstv/

The video content has all been removed, but you can see what the site was like, and get an idea of the amount of content that was available.

Incredible site....I'm still mad at the NFL for taking it down.

The sad part is, five years later, NFL.com charges for memberships, and offers only a fraction of the content was freely available on NFLFilmsTV.com.

Last edited by zoinks : 04-14-2007 at 09:55 AM.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_perfection View Post
I think its a mistake, for big fans of football it doesn't matter at all, but people who aren't familar with football can see great plays could be encouraged to watch more of it. Especially in Europe and the rest of the World.
Very very true. A proper website with some film material on the internet (something more than NFL total acces off the video section off the NFL website) sure as hell would've made me understand all the little things about football, instead, I (and most other European football fans) have been forced to becoma an autodidact. You won't believe the amount of time it cost me just to figure out what Cover and Tampa 2 are. Madden studies.

But on the other hand I doubt the European market is really a goal for the NFL... most europeans feel Football goes to slow... anyways there's no way anything gets bigger than football (our football, your soccer). So... since in america you can get Football info pretty much everywhere, I suppose that's their philosophy.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just think it's dumb when people don't want to deal with YouTube. A TON of people go there, who can just randomly stumble upon your product and like it.

Anyways, the clips are ALWAYS going to be out there, taking them off of YouTube doesn't take them off of the internet. People know what they're doing, there's always going to a way to do things they don't want you to do.. Just accept it and make money off of it.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
mfkrush
Rookie

mfkrush hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I have my highlight video on it, coachs email me about information reguarding their college, camps, news, etc etc. It has been a good tool in showing them my highlight tape without actually having to email them & go through the trouble of paying for shipping & such. Youtube basically is awesome.
mfkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
I think it would be a great idea, Barcelona (Spanish soccer team) has their own official FC Barcelona Youtube page. They have interviews, highlights, Barca commercials and other team related stuff(The page is new, so there isn't a lot of clips yet). Now imagine if an NFL team had it's own page, and if it's done right....it could become like a one-stop resource for your favorite team.
seems like a reasonable idea, but they already thought of that with myspace pages.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote