Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Defense 2012

How good are they?

Footballoutsiders placed them #11 in 2011. This was their weighted ranking, which compares to #13 unweighted. The rise in rank indicates improvement. We lose Carr, but gain Routt, Berry and Poe. What say you?

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We will definitely be better than last year. I'm expecting a top 10 ranking. Poe will take a bit to get used to the pro game and to be coached up, but I expect an elite run D this year. Anything less is unsatisfactory.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

losing Carr hurts.not saying Routt won't be good but Carr's departure hurt how much remains to be seen.Berry getting back is HUGE.Houston's development at the end of the 2011 season was awesome to see giving us someone oppo Tamba to get after QB.If Poe plays the way I feel he will...the Chiefs defense will be a top FIVE defense in the NFL next year.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Routt got lots of experience with the Raiders b/c teams threw away from Ndami Asomugah; he got a lot of OJT.

He is decent in man & press coverage, good ball skills but don't expect him to make every tackle.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
We will definitely be better than last year. I'm expecting a top 10 ranking. Poe will take a bit to get used to the pro game and to be coached up, but I expect an elite run D this year. Anything less is unsatisfactory.
Top 10 says almost nothing. They were at that level for most of last year. I think you can list better defenses on one hand. Take the Bears amd Texans off the top. Then you have to start qualifying, Steelers and Ravens if age has not caught them, 49ers if last year was not a fluke, Giants if they are in late season form. I think the Chiefs stack up with the best of the rest: Jets, Falcons, Eagles, Phins.

If Poe puts up ROY work, this could be the #1 defense in the NFL.

J
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"ROY work" is a little crazy, especially coming from a rookie DL, let alone a NT. I'd be happy if he didn't look lost out there this year. Many first year NTs do.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think people quite understand what it takes to play NT in a 3-4. If Poe contributes and helps give the Chiefs good depth this year, I'd be happy.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
"ROY work" is a little crazy, especially coming from a rookie DL, let alone a NT. I'd be happy if he didn't look lost out there this year. Many first year NTs do.
For NT, I agree. He will play a lot of DE in nickel sets. That's all about either penetration or forcing the pocket back. With the kind of edge pressure H&H can bring, it willl not take much. He will collect some sacks when QBs try to step up, right into him.

In any event, I mean play worthy of RoY attention, not that he will actually get it. Dorsey has deserved Pro Bowl attention. Has he gotten it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't think people quite understand what it takes to play NT in a 3-4. If Poe contributes and helps give the Chiefs good depth this year, I'd be happy.
I think Powe gets most of the snaps at NT this year.

J

Last edited by onejayhawk : 05-05-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Poe just commands two blockers I will be happy.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 PM    (permalink
ChiefMojo
Rookie

ChiefMojo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think some are forgetting that this will be year two for Powe. From the sound of it Romeo is extremely high on Powe's development. Powe was one of those players that spent most of his off-season back in KC working out at Chiefs facilities. Suppose to be in good shape (whatever good shape is for a NT) and a off-season has down him wonders. So we can afford to bring Poe along a little slower than many assume.
ChiefMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMojo View Post
I think some are forgetting that this will be year two for Powe. From the sound of it Romeo is extremely high on Powe's development. Powe was one of those players that spent most of his off-season back in KC working out at Chiefs facilities. Suppose to be in good shape (whatever good shape is for a NT) and a off-season has down him wonders. So we can afford to bring Poe along a little slower than many assume.
Well, if you saw Powe last year (not many of us saw him play and it was rare to just see him on the sidelines, but the latter is what I mean), you'd know he worked his ass off in the 2011 non-off-season and looked to be in very good shape. His body was completely transformed from when he was at Ole Miss. He looked faster and stronger. Not surprised that he keeps working hard.

As long as Poe works out, Powe is someone I could see playing DE for the Chiefs and rotating over to NT when needed. He's only 6'2, but he has long arms and big hands. Also worth noting that New England rolled out their 3-4 last year with two NTs in Kyle Love and Vince Wilfork. Very effective stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB. Difference for the Chiefs is KC's pass rushers are infinitely better than what New England has and so is the secondary.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Our pass rush sub unit has only 2 down linemen. Its more of a 4-2, since Hali and Houston are up on the line, but they are in a 2 point. I look for the interior guys to be Bailey and Poe. Both have the kind of explosion that does not let an OL set his feet to anchor. Powe will do the run stuffing. Obviously both can be in a jumbo package.

J
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Depends on the off-season. Never know how guys will develop. TJax might get even more athleticism back, Bair could emerge as a sub-package DE, Dorsey could get back to 2010 form...or they could just bring Gilberry back (fairly unlikely since he's down to around 260). It will be interesting.