Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
How do the Titans (other than your bias) win the AFC South?
It's a tough one between them and the Texans, you could flip them if you prefer as I think they'll have very close records. With that said, I went with the Titans for numerous reasons.

1) The Texans have a history of choking, and being underachievers. Is one year enough to change the whole philosophy of the organization?

2) The Texans lost Brisiel and Winston on the offensive line, as well as Vickers at FB. Even with the addition of Jones and Brooks, (neither of whom I think fit the system real well) I don't think they'll be as good at blocking for Foster, or keeping Schaub up right. Which brings me to the next point:

3) Matt Schaub has a history of injuries, since coming to Houston he's only played more than 11 games twice in his 5 seasons. Yates played ok, but I'm not sure they can really rely on him.

4) Texans as a whole have injuries concerns. Aside from Schaub, Andre Johnson has only played 5 whole seasons out of his 9 seasons he's been in the NFL. He's played in 36 of the past 48. Owen Daniels also hasn't been able to stay healthy, playing most of the season 3 of his 6 years.

5) They still don't have a 2nd WR, Posey isn't likely to contribute much this season. Walters is nothing more than a possession guy.

6) Lackluster draft, although they upgrade the team for the future, they really could have added players to contribute this year and bring this team to the next level.

7) Will the defense be figured out?

On the other hand, the Titans went far beyond people's expectations last season.

They upgrade the pass rush, and the offensive line as well as WR and depth at LB.

CJ wasn't in football shape for the first few weeks and the running game never really got established. They still passed for 4000yards and CJ is still explosive. Add explosive Kenny Britt back from injury and Kendall Wright in the draft and it's looking good. Add the fact the Titans have one of the few TEs in the NFL that is a legitimate threat to go 80 yards.

On defense they lost Finnegan, which will hurt. But they still have McCourty and Verner, and if the pass rush is improved life should be much easier for them than it was last year.

In the end these two teams finished 1 game apart, and I feel the Titans have upgraded while the Texans have downgraded this offseason.

Just my two cents.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, anyone not choosing the Texans in the AFC South is out of their minds. The team beat the Bengals and nearly knocked off the Ravens with TJ Yates. No team in the AFC South is even close to the Texans.

Holy delusional Titans fan. The Titans spin on that damn near gave me vertigo.

PS - Chris Johnson is nowhere near as good as he was three years ago. He actually kind of sucks now.
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Fico
Rookie

Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fico is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
It's a tough one between them and the Texans, you could flip them if you prefer as I think they'll have very close records. With that said, I went with the Titans for numerous reasons.

1) The Texans have a history of choking, and being underachievers. Is one year enough to change the whole philosophy of the organization?

2) The Texans lost Brisiel and Winston on the offensive line, as well as Vickers at FB. Even with the addition of Jones and Brooks, (neither of whom I think fit the system real well) I don't think they'll be as good at blocking for Foster, or keeping Schaub up right. Which brings me to the next point:

3) Matt Schaub has a history of injuries, since coming to Houston he's only played more than 11 games twice in his 5 seasons. Yates played ok, but I'm not sure they can really rely on him.

4) Texans as a whole have injuries concerns. Aside from Schaub, Andre Johnson has only played 5 whole seasons out of his 9 seasons he's been in the NFL. He's played in 36 of the past 48. Owen Daniels also hasn't been able to stay healthy, playing most of the season 3 of his 6 years.

5) They still don't have a 2nd WR, Posey isn't likely to contribute much this season. Walters is nothing more than a possession guy.

6) Lackluster draft, although they upgrade the team for the future, they really could have added players to contribute this year and bring this team to the next level.

7) Will the defense be figured out?

On the other hand, the Titans went far beyond people's expectations last season.

They upgrade the pass rush, and the offensive line as well as WR and depth at LB.

CJ wasn't in football shape for the first few weeks and the running game never really got established. They still passed for 4000yards and CJ is still explosive. Add explosive Kenny Britt back from injury and Kendall Wright in the draft and it's looking good. Add the fact the Titans have one of the few TEs in the NFL that is a legitimate threat to go 80 yards.

On defense they lost Finnegan, which will hurt. But they still have McCourty and Verner, and if the pass rush is improved life should be much easier for them than it was last year.

In the end these two teams finished 1 game apart, and I feel the Titans have upgraded while the Texans have downgraded this offseason.

Just my two cents.
I think this post is silly.

You are counting on Locker who has yet to prove anything of substance in the NFL and Matt Hassellback who is old and got beat up last year. You are counting on CJ bouncing back to 2000 yards which isn't going to happen. He is a great player and he will produce in 1200 range but he never sniffs 2000 again. You are counting on your injury prone receiver to dominate while discrediting the Texans' best player because he was injured. Hell Andre with 1 hamstring was better than Britt has ever been. You think your unproven draft class is better than the Texans. You also think an offensive coach who has been running his system since 1996 is picking players that don't fit his scheme.

Here is the reality, the Titans got smashed at home, flat out embarrassed, last year by the Texans with no Andre and with our starting safety going out. The Titans then beat the Texans JV squad by 1 point to close out the season. In a game, I might add, that the Titans had everything to play for and from which the Texans could not benefit from.

Realistically the Texans offense improves as a whole. The running game may take a step back since you there isn't much room to improve from #2, but it will still be top 5 in the league. The system plus Foster and Tate = production. The passing game will be better than 18th due to Schaub, Andre and Foster getting more than 1 quarter together this season. Additionally the chances that they have to play a significant stretch with our #3 QB again is pretty small.

The defense will still be good but will probably take a step back to the 5-7 range as well. You just can't improve much from #2 and the odds are against it being just as good.

If your counting on the Texans choking I believed that ship sailed in 2010. Their whole season last year was clinic in perseverance. Foster is hurt, Andre is hurt, Mario is hurt, Ryans is hurt, Sharpton is hurt, Manning is hurt, Schaub is hurt, Lienart is hurt, yet they still won games. They played frickin Jake Delhomme at QB last season and he almost beat the Titans.

I think the Titans will be 9-7 team again with a shot at the wild card. I also think they get swept by the Texans.

Last edited by Fico : 05-07-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: words are hard
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To do a proper job, you need to check the schedule to see which Division and odd games each team has drawn.

The NFL is a schedule/QB league and if you draw the NFC North, the NFL East, or the AFC North then the Division is more than likely not going to get a Wild Card team, you can almost count on that. Only a great QB can overcome those odds. I didn't include the NFC South because New Orleans is such a huge question mark.

Hence the AFC East will produce 2 or 3 playoff teams because their schedules are ridiculously easy.
And the NFC North will for sure, barring injuries, produce 3 playoff teams as their schedule is also ridiculously easy.

NFC
1) Green Bay - In a tough fight within their division but should win out with a great QB
2) Philly - The Giants may suffer the Super Bowl woes and Philly is next in line.
3) Atlanta - New Orleans looks doomed for next season so Atlanta is the likely division winner.
4) San Fran - Arizona might upset a letdown by the 49ers, but I still give the edge to San Fran.
5) Detroit(WC) - Will be even better next year and will give Green Bay all they can handle, but GB in a close one.
6) Chicago (WC) - If they can stay injury free, they will also be a Super Bowl threat.

1) New England - Ridiculously easy schedule and the addition of Lloyd and some defenders won't hurt.
2) Pittsburgh - Improved OL may give Roethlisberger even more time and their defense is still potent.
3) Houston - Just not another team in the AFC South capable of challenging them. but aren't special at QB.
4) Kansas City - Peyton won't reach top form till the middle of the season and KC is a team on the rise when healthy.
5) New York Jets(WC) - the AFC's easy schedules will get a 2nd team in as a Wild Card.
6) Cinncy(WC) - Baltimose lost an awful lot in Suggs so Cinccy will replace them as the #2 AFC North team
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres definitely a lot more Titans love than I was expecting to see in this thread. Not really a team I look at an group with the teams that I think make the playoffs, but they should have a pretty easy division schedule with the Colts and Jags.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico View Post
I think this post is silly.

You are counting on Locker who has yet to prove anything of substance in the NFL and Matt Hassellback who is old and got beat up last year. You are counting on CJ bouncing back to 2000 yards which isn't going to happen. He is a great player and he will produce in 1200 range but he never sniffs 2000 again. You are counting on your injury prone receiver to dominate while discrediting the Texans' best player because he was injured. Hell Andre with 1 hamstring was better than Britt has ever been. You think your unproven draft class is better than the Texans. You also think an offensive coach who has been running his system since 1996 is picking players that don't fit his scheme.

Here is the reality, the Titans got smashed at home, flat out embarrassed, last year by the Texans with no Andre and with our starting safety going out. The Titans then beat the Texans JV squad by 1 point to close out the season. In a game, I might add, that the Titans had everything to play for and from which the Texans could not benefit from.

Realistically the Texans offense improves as a whole. The running game may take a step back since you there isn't much room to improve from #2, but it will still be top 5 in the league. The system plus Foster and Tate = production. The passing game will be better than 18th due to Schaub, Andre and Foster getting more than 1 quarter together this season. Additionally the chances that they have to play a significant stretch with our #3 QB again is pretty small.

The defense will still be good but will probably take a step back to the 5-7 range as well. You just can't improve much from #2 and the odds are against it being just as good.

If your counting on the Texans choking I believed that ship sailed in 2010. Their whole season last year was clinic in perseverance. Foster is hurt, Andre is hurt, Mario is hurt, Ryans is hurt, Sharpton is hurt, Manning is hurt, Schaub is hurt, Lienart is hurt, yet they still won games. They played frickin Jake Delhomme at QB last season and he almost beat the Titans.

I think the Titans will be 9-7 team again with a shot at the wild card. I also think they get swept by the Texans.
Hasselbeck didn't battle injury last season. And I'm not counting on CJ getting 2000 yards, we came down to the final game and lost a tiebreaker to get into the playoffs. We were 9-7 with Chris Johnson being a step slow the first part of the season and without Kenny Britt for most of the season.

What you're ignoring is that CJ is just as explosive as he ever was, he still was tied for 3rd in the NFL in runs over 20 yards. But due to the interior offensive line he often got stopped for no gain.

You're also ignoring the fact that we had a first year head coach, still trying to find his way and be his own player. We destroyed the Ravens, a team that nearly went to the superbowl. We got blown out by the Texans and Steelers.

We also lost Britt very early in the season, and our WR corps is much deeper than the Texans is.

Your whole post is opinion, and it's mostly based on past results
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
3) Houston - Just not another team in the AFC South capable of challenging them. but aren't special at QB.
The Texans are coming into green pastures of playoff $ now. Once they've tasted that boost in their salaries they won't want to return to where they came from.

Matt Schaub has been special ever since UVA, he just hasn't been able to stay healthy. If he does this yr. he could move into that elite category of NFL QBs.

The talent is there, the coaching, the system, the fanbase, they believe in themselves as winners, all the pieces in place.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post

The talent is there, the coaching, the system, the fanbase, they believe in themselves as winners, all the pieces in place.
Pieces have been there for years, they finally make the playoffs once and all of a sudden everyone's drooling over them
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Pieces have been there for years, they finally make the playoffs once and all of a sudden everyone's drooling over them
Their roster top to bottom is better than the Titans. The homer in you just wont allow you to see it.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Their roster top to bottom is better than the Titans. The homer in you just wont allow you to see it.
It has been for years, whats your point?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone who picks the Bucs to make the playoffs must believe Schiano will be an amazing pro head coach. Right after he was a mediocre college coach whose greatest strength was as a recruiter...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Anyone who picks the Bucs to make the playoffs must believe Schiano will be an amazing pro head coach. Right after he was a mediocre college coach whose greatest strength was as a recruiter...
To be fair they have added some good players, Carl Nicks, Vincent Jackson, a couple solid picks in Mark Barron and Doug Martin. I think they are looking at a 7-9/8-8 season more than anything though.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Their run defense was atrocious last season. Barron might help in that area a little bit and they obviously will put forth more effort than they did last season down the stretch, but the defense still looks very weak against the run and at getting to the QB. That combo is usually not a recipe for making the playoffs, even if the offense is better. And Atlanta, NO, and CAR are all better anyway. Not to mention the GB/DET/CHI division losers and NYG/DAL/PHI division losers. Hell, Arizona is better, mainly because their D is respectable. Tampa's is not.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tampa's wildcard is the young defensive line (McCoy, Bowers, Clayborn, Price). If they ramp up their level of play it could make a huge difference.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about..

AFC

East
1. Patriots
2. Bills
3. Jets
4. Dolphins

*I'm one of the few that still likes Sanchez, but Fitzpatrick is easily the 2nd best QB in the East. Bills are steadily rising while the Jets are moving away from what made them good. If the Jets contend, Rex Ryan deserves coach of the year.

North
1. Ravens
2. Bengals
3. Steelers
4. Browns

*Steelers are rebuilding a good part of the defense and might be counting on two rookies to protect Ben. Ravens were a bad drop from the SB. Only question about the Browns is if they take a QB with that # 1 overall.

South
1. Texans
2. Titans
3. Jaguars
4. Colts

*Texans headed to New Orleans this season. If the Titans get their running game back to go along with Jerry Gray's D they'll be in the playoffs. So ready for Gabbert to have a decent 2nd year and say "**** you all" to his critics.

West
1. Broncos
2. Chargers
3. Chiefs
4. Raiders

*Hard to bet against the Broncos. If Cassell struggles or a key guy gets hurt, I could see the Chiefs self destruct....again.

NFC

East
1. Eagles
2. Giants
3. Cowboys
4. Redskins

*Eagles aren't favorites so they'll play to win instead of not to lose. Cowboys secondary will be their achilles heel.

North
1. Packers
2. Bears
3. Lions
4. Vikings

*The Bears were really picking up steam before Cutler went down. If the Lions can keep from being one dimensional they could contend but..

South
1. Saints
2. Panthers
3. Buccaneers
4. Falcons

*Either the Saints or Falcons will tumble. The Saints pass protection on the ends looked progressively worse last season and defensively, Jenkins looks like a bust - they still won't get a strong pass rush but... Brees won't let them fail...unless he gets injured. The Falcons hung on last season but the running game and defense lagged and haven't gotten better.

West
1. Niners
2. Seahawks
3. Rams
4. Cardinals

*Unless Flynn or R.Wilson emerges as a big time QB I don't think the Niners will get seriously challenged. Smith is still the QB but the weapons have improved. Oline is still a weakness but Looney will make a difference. I'd rather see Skelton start than Kolb but Wiz is going to wait too long to make the call here and the line is going to wreck them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Bucs147
Rookie

Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Their run defense was atrocious last season. Barron might help in that area a little bit and they obviously will put forth more effort than they did last season down the stretch, but the defense still looks very weak against the run and at getting to the QB. That combo is usually not a recipe for making the playoffs, even if the offense is better. And Atlanta, NO, and CAR are all better anyway. Not to mention the GB/DET/CHI division losers and NYG/DAL/PHI division losers. Hell, Arizona is better, mainly because their D is respectable. Tampa's is not.
Getting Gerald McCoy back is vital for our run D. With him in the lineup, the Bucs actually had a pretty good run D (If I remember correctly, they were top 10 in the league) but when he went to IR, the run D went from being pretty good to being the worst run D I have ever seen. Getting Cody Grimm back will also helps since he was the best tackler in our defense for the last two years (though after two important leg injuries, I have no idea how good or bad he'll be this season). Another point is that Raheem had no idea how to coach a defense and they were also tons of quitters in that defense. Guys like Tanard Jackson, Sean Jones and Geno Hayes just quit during our 10 losing games streak and they were atrocious on run defense.

That being sad, I still think this defense isn't very good and we'll finish around the 8-8 mark. Though, I also think the NFC South will be mediocre at best this season, so there's a chance we can win the division.
Bucs147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
West
1. Broncos
2. Chargers
3. Chiefs
4. Raiders

*Hard to bet against the Broncos. If Cassell struggles or a key guy gets hurt, I could see the Chiefs self destruct....again.
Self destruct? Did the Chiefs REALLY self destruct? Three of our best players got hurt, then Cassel got hurt, and we started Tyler Palko. And after all of that ****, we were a blocked FG away from winning the division.

Is that really self destructing?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Self destruct? Did the Chiefs REALLY self destruct? Three of our best players got hurt, then Cassel got hurt, and we started Tyler Palko. And after all of that ****, we were a blocked FG away from winning the division.

Is that really self destructing?
The Chiefs are really a team that aren't getting respect. They are a real playoff contender. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they get a wild card or even win the division.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh my god dude, the Titans aren't doing anything this year. The Texans are clearly superior.

Chris Johnson is mediocre now, he didn't even average 4 yards per carry last year unless you round up. He averaged 3.99 yards per carry. He was 14th in the NFL last year in yards, 9th in attempts and amongst runners who played at least 50% of their teams snaps his YPC average was 25th out of 30. He had the 46th highest success rate of any RB who had more than 100 carries. Football Outsiders and ProFootballFocus both graded him as the worst RB in the AFC South last year. The Titans as a team (where Chris Johnson had a lion-share of the carries) had their runs stuffed 24% of the time, the 29th worst mark in the NFL. And they were 31st in open field yardage which would suggest that Chris Johnson struggled in the open field and he struggled to create at the second level and was only getting what the offensive line gave him. He was 5th in the NFL in stuffs. He's not good anymore, he's JAG now and the Texans have two backs who are better (Foster and Tate).

And this is hilarious: You keep talking about Andre Johnson's injuries and keep talking about how Kenny Britt is going to be healthy this year. Kenny Britt has missed 17 games the past two years. Andre Johnson has missed 12 the past two years. Be consistent with your criticism.

And do you know the first thing about ACL injuries? You don't just come back 100%, it takes quite a bit of time to make a full recovery from an ACL injury. Most don't regain their explosiveness until year 2 if they ever get it back at all. Look at any player who tore their ACL and I highly doubt you find one who was equally as effective the first year they came back.

And who are you to say that the draft picks don't fit in their scheme? As someone who has watched Howard Mudd at work I can tell you that Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones are going to do just fine in the Texan's ZBS. It's not about finding smaller guys, its about finding good athletes who can play in space and Brandon Brooks at 6'5" and 346 pounds running a 4.9 40 with a 1.7 10 yard split and a 32" vertical jump is about athletic as they come. And Ben Jones is exactly the type of scrappy, heady player that can get to the second level who is perfect for a zone blocking scheme at guard or center. The left side of the line with Brown-Smith-Meyers is still one of the best. And the interior of that line is vastly superior to that of Titans, a weakness that even you admitted.

And that Texans defense is a powerhouse. JJ Watt, Jonathan Joseph and Brian Cushing are all top 3 at their positions and their pass rushers (Barwin, Reed, Mercilus) are better than the ones the Titans have. Top five yardage defense, top 5 rushing defense, top 5 passing defense and top 5 scoring defense. The Titans defense is worse at every level (DL, LB, DB).

And who the heck do you have rushing the passer? Kamerion Wimbley? Bah. He's so inconsistent year to year and when is the last time he played 4-3 DE? Let me answer that: not since college. Who else after him? Mr. 4 sacks in two years with a torn ACL on his record aka Derrick Morgan?

And you beat the Ravens? That must mean the Titans are going to be amazing. The Eagles have beat the Giants 7 of the past 8 times they played but you want to hear something funny? It doesn't matter; the Giants have two rings on their fingers. And funny thing is that sure, you beat the Ravens but you lost to the Steelers who lost to the Ravens. OHMAGAWD. Doesn't. Matter.

The only spot you're better than the Texans is weapons in the passing game and the Texans still have the best one in Andre Johnson. You just have more. But who tosses them the ball? Locker, Hasselbeck? Both are inferior to Schaub at this point in their careers.

Texans have a better running attack, better QB, better offensive line and a better defense at every single level. All you have is depth at WR. The Texans are better than the Titans and they will show that again this year.

Last edited by Bixby (Thumper) : 05-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This anti-Steelers stuff is really confusing to me. They still have one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Explosive group of receivers. Upgraded offensive line. From what I can tell, they lost an inside linebacker and maybe a running back, two relatively low impact positions. What's the problem here? And how on earth is Cincinnati better than them?

And this Titans/Texans discussion is stupid. Obviously the Texans have the edge coming off the division win, but the Titans were surprisingly good last season. I'd probably take the Texans, like most others, but you can make the argument for the Titans, depending on how you feel about some of their unknowns: Locker, CJ2K, Wright, etc. Nobody should pretend to know how any of those guys are going to play, but obviously the Titans fan is going to see things optimistically. Really not worth an 800 word retort, filled with just as much opinion and speculation, from an Eagles fan of all people.

Last edited by ChiFan24 : 05-08-2012 at 12:32 AM.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
The Chiefs are really a team that aren't getting respect. They are a real playoff contender. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they get a wild card or even win the division.
The Chiefs would be the favorites if it wasn't for Peyton going to Denver. Both should make it, it's just a matter of who takes the division
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
This anti-Steelers stuff is really confusing to me. They still have one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Explosive group of receivers. Upgraded offensive line. From what I can tell, they lost an inside linebacker and maybe a running back, two relatively low impact positions. What's the problem here? And how on earth is Cincinnati better than them?
Their secondary and defensive line is the problem for me. Aside from old Ike Taylor, who do they have at corner? Their safeties are old and the depth behind Troy P and Clark is awful. Polamalu is getting more one dimensional by the year (same thing happened to Dawkins) and Clark is pretty bad. And they had to let go of Aaron Smith and I think their depth at DL is suspect. With the exception of OLB, that entire defense is pretty thin IMO.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright, finally got around to doing mine

NFC
1. Packers
2. Saints
3. 49ers
4. Giants
5. Bears
6. Lions

The NFC North will be extremely good this year - minus the Vikings. I think the Bears will have the 2nd or 3rd best record in the conference. Unfortunately, Green Bay is still in the division, so that'll just get them a wild card. I think The Lions will just get in over Atlanta. As long as Brees signs I don't think the bounty crap affects the Saints too much. The offense is still intact and incredibly good. On defense they'll lose Vilma, but they replaced him with Lofton, so it's not a big deal. The 49ers are still a good team, but will fall a few wins short of last year. The Giants will do their usual thing and have 9-10 wins in the regular season and then play hard in January. Although in this scenario I'd say they lose in the first round.

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Texans
3. Chiefs
4. Steelers
5. Broncos
6. Bengals

The AFC is harder. The Patriots and Texans are the clear cut top 2 teams, and I think the only locks for their divisions. After looking at the schedules I did go with Kansas City over Denver. Obviously only 2 games are different, but Indianapolis and Buffalo vs New England and Houston is a huge 2 game difference. That'll win the Chiefs the division. Denver falls one win short for the top wild card. The Steelers edge out Cincinnati for the division. They were worse last year than they were their Super Bowl year, and I think that decline will continue just a bit. However, they still have Roethlisberger, and retaining Wallace was huge. I could see them falling off to a .500 team in 2013, but not quite yet. The Suggs injury eliminates Baltimore for me. Obviously they have a bunch of talented defenders, but he was the most important. Without his pass rush, and no proven OLBs I think their in for trouble. 7-9 wins for them. That leaves Cincinnati, Tennessee, and San Diego for my final spot - in that order, although it'll be very close. If Dalton and Green progress, there's no reason they shouldn't make it back to the playoffs.

Wildcard
49ers over Lions: 28-24 close game, but San Francisco edges it out.
Bears over Giants: 27-17 I think the Bears are only below Green Bay, and just as good as seeds 2-4. The Giants don't have it in them 2 years in a row. A healthy Cutler, Forte, and now Brandon Marshall will get it done with a solid defense.

Chiefs over Bengals: 31-17 A healthy Chiefs' offense will pull away from the Bengals. Too much explosion for Dalton to keep up
Broncos over Steelers: 24-21 Manning gets it done in a game that'll be closer than it should

Divisional
Packers over Bears: 24-17 As I've been saying, I think the Bears will be really good. They'll be the team that'll have the best shot to knock Green Bay out. But I think they fall just short again. After the embarrassing loss to the Giants last year, the Packers will be ready to go this time.

Saints over 49ers: 35-20: Rematch of last year's game, but this time in New Orleans. The 49ers' defense is good, but Brees has a great game in the Superdome and the Saints win easy

Broncos over Patriots: 24-21 Another Brady-Manning match up, and the game lives up to it. I think Brady takes the regular season game, but the Broncos steal the second one. Notice I said the Broncos steal the second one, not Manning steals the second one. The Broncos defense is what'll give them this, stopping Brady and the offense, while the Pats defense can't match it.

Texans over Chiefs: 31-24: The Chiefs put up a fight, but fall short. The Texans are the most balanced team in football. Top notch run game, very good passing, and elite defense. As long as their healthy they'll do damage in the playoffs.

Conference Championship
Packers over Saints: 31-21 Away from their comfy dome, the Saints have a let down. The Packers offense is just too good to stop and their defense should be much improved after the draft. They're headed to their second Super Bowl in 3 years.

Texans over Broncos: 28-24 After and extremely impressive comeback year, Manning falls just short of his second Super Bowl. Houston is the better team to begin with, and the home field advantage gets it done for them.

Super Bowl
Texans over Packers: 28-27 A healthy Texans squad can beat anyone, as shown by their Super Bowl victory. Aaron Rodgers puts up a very good fight, but in the end it's once again that balance from Houston that takes home the Championship. Arian Foster goes over 170 as he chews up the clock in the 4th quarter, to give the Texans the Lombardi Trophy in their 10th anniversary season.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
Oh my god dude, the Titans aren't doing anything this year. The Texans are clearly superior.

Chris Johnson is mediocre now, he didn't even average 4 yards per carry last year unless you round up. He averaged 3.99 yards per carry. He was 14th in the NFL last year in yards, 9th in attempts and amongst runners who played at least 50% of their teams snaps his YPC average was 25th out of 30. He had the 46th highest success rate of any RB who had more than 100 carries. Football Outsiders and ProFootballFocus both graded him as the worst RB in the AFC South last year. The Titans as a team (where Chris Johnson had a lion-share of the carries) had their runs stuffed 24% of the time, the 29th worst mark in the NFL. And they were 31st in open field yardage which would suggest that Chris Johnson struggled in the open field and he struggled to create at the second level and was only getting what the offensive line gave him. He was 5th in the NFL in stuffs. He's not good anymore, he's JAG now and the Texans have two backs who are better (Foster and Tate).

And this is hilarious: You keep talking about Andre Johnson's injuries and keep talking about how Kenny Britt is going to be healthy this year. Kenny Britt has missed 17 games the past two years. Andre Johnson has missed 12 the past two years. Be consistent with your criticism.

And do you know the first thing about ACL injuries? You don't just come back 100%, it takes quite a bit of time to make a full recovery from an ACL injury. Most don't regain their explosiveness until year 2 if they ever get it back at all. Look at any player who tore their ACL and I highly doubt you find one who was equally as effective the first year they came back.

And who are you to say that the draft picks don't fit in their scheme? As someone who has watched Howard Mudd at work I can tell you that Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones are going to do just fine in the Texan's ZBS. It's not about finding smaller guys, its about finding good athletes who can play in space and Brandon Brooks at 6'5" and 346 pounds running a 4.9 40 with a 1.7 10 yard split and a 32" vertical jump is about athletic as they come. And Ben Jones is exactly the type of scrappy, heady player that can get to the second level who is perfect for a zone blocking scheme at guard or center. The left side of the line with Brown-Smith-Meyers is still one of the best. And the interior of that line is vastly superior to that of Titans, a weakness that even you admitted.

And that Texans defense is a powerhouse. JJ Watt, Jonathan Joseph and Brian Cushing are all top 3 at their positions and their pass rushers (Barwin, Reed, Mercilus) are better than the ones the Titans have. Top five yardage defense, top 5 rushing defense, top 5 passing defense and top 5 scoring defense. The Titans defense is worse at every level (DL, LB, DB).

And who the heck do you have rushing the passer? Kamerion Wimbley? Bah. He's so inconsistent year to year and when is the last time he played 4-3 DE? Let me answer that: not since college. Who else after him? Mr. 4 sacks in two years with a torn ACL on his record aka Derrick Morgan?

And you beat the Ravens? That must mean the Titans are going to be amazing. The Eagles have beat the Giants 7 of the past 8 times they played but you want to hear something funny? It doesn't matter; the Giants have two rings on their fingers. And funny thing is that sure, you beat the Ravens but you lost to the Steelers who lost to the Ravens. OHMAGAWD. Doesn't. Matter.

The only spot you're better than the Texans is weapons in the passing game and the Texans still have the best one in Andre Johnson. You just have more. But who tosses them the ball? Locker, Hasselbeck? Both are inferior to Schaub at this point in their careers.

Texans have a better running attack, better QB, better offensive line and a better defense at every single level. All you have is depth at WR. The Texans are better than the Titans and they will show that again this year.
wow what an extreme waste of time
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both the Texans and Titans have good OLs, both have questions going into the season but both should be at least top 10. If CJ is 100% next season he will be much better than he was last season, especially if the OL improves. So I think the Titans running game could well be on par with Houston's. Especially if CJ regains his explosiveness. Schaub is the best QB, but Locker looked great when he stepped in and has the ability to surpass Schaub.

I really think offensively both teams could end up very similar, but the Texans have a much better defense which is why I expect them to win the Division, but the Tennessee Offense could certainly get them a wild card spot.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote