Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prospect of the Day: T.J. McDonald, S, USC

If you’d like a thread about a prospect of your choosing, just send me a PM and I’ll make it ASAP!

S T.J. McDonald, USC

#7 - 6'3 – 205 lbs. – 21 years old

What do you guys think of him? Do you think he's the best safety for next year's draft?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Future superstar.
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bad Ass Mofo. On my wishlist.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stud and the only other guy in Barron's class as a safety prospect ongst the 2012 and 2013 safeties. Awesome movement skills and probably has better hips, while giving up some physicality and leadership. More of what most might/will be looking for, and I liked Barron a lot. Top ten prospect in this draft IMO, and I don't just like handing out tags like that. Just a quality player...

Last edited by SenorGato : 05-08-2012 at 03:15 AM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hes awesomeness i think i love him.

please replace troy polamalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want him bad on the Steelers. Real bad.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I want him bad on the Steelers. Real bad.
this seems to be a trend with us in these threads lol

really though, hes my #1 prospective steeler for next years draft, hes my decastro <3

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
this seems to be a trend with us in these threads lol

really though, hes my #1 prospective steeler for next years draft, hes my decastro <3
As of right now, the only two I want in the first round is Te'o and McDonald. If Worilds doesn't take a step forward, then go with a pass rusher.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

McDonald and Teo are my top two as well

Rhodes is another guy im infatuated with, but i could see OLB being the pick

my god, think of another top tier guard though....damn haha

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McDonald was my favorite safety that I scouted last year and will probably enter the year as a top twenty type value for me. He's just the complete package out of what you want from an NFL safety. I'm not sure he'll ever be the type of playmaker you covet at the position, but he'll give you enough with that and the overall skill set he brings to the table is very good.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's in the mold of Deon Grant, an underrated decade starter who did a little of everything.

I think like Barron, his floor is very close to his ceiling. I do like Barron a little more on second thought...Not by much but it's there.

Last edited by SenorGato : 05-08-2012 at 12:15 PM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Stud and the only other guy in Barron's class as a safety prospect ongst the 2012 and 2013 safeties. Awesome movement skills and probably has better hips, while giving up some physicality and leadership. More of what most might/will be looking for, and I liked Barron a lot. Top ten prospect in this draft IMO, and I don't just like handing out tags like that. Just a quality player...
I don't agree with that at all. I think there are going to be much better Safety prospects than Barron.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T.J is really fun to watch. He is a very good centerfielder and makes you think twice about catching a pass in his area. The guy is a little bit of a headhunter which worried some in this day and age in the NFL, but with him I think it makes him a better player. He is the leader of the defense at USC and his play is a huge factor in their whole defense, has a lot of responsibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I don't agree with that at all. I think there are going to be much better Safety prospects than Barron.
Meh agree to disagree...Already think Rambo (gambler) and Armstrong (just not good) are wildly overrated...Lester was second fiddle for a reason...the Oklahoma kid is alright but eh...the Texas kid is good...already think this crop is overhyped and have been saying for a while that fans underrated the **** out of Barron as a prospect.

I thought Barron was the best future pro on the 'Bama D and their best defensive player post-Dareus.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Thefudge
Rookie

Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.Thefudge could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Meh agree to disagree...Already think Rambo (gambler) and Armstrong (just not good) are wildly overrated...Lester was second fiddle for a reason...the Oklahoma kid is alright but eh...the Texas kid is good...already think this crop is overhyped and have been saying for a while that fans underrated the **** out of Barron as a prospect.

I thought Barron was the best future pro on the 'Bama D and their best defensive player post-Dareus.
Lester was second fiddle because Barron was the unquestioned leader of that secondary, nothing to do with skillset or projectibility though. Overall Lester is much much better in coverage than Barron was and I see Barron as a Roy Williams, Lester is more of a Antoine Bethea kind of guy.

Back on topic though, I like Mcdonald, Love his frame and ballskills I want to see him weigh in around 215 this year though, he's kind of skinny to be tackling some of the moose that play tight end in the NFL
Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went back and watched the USC-Oregon game last night and McDonald failed to stand out. Also, I need to watch more games, but at least against Oregon, he played almost strictly the strongside and was in the box. From what I could tell, his match-up was always the running back, as they were trying to limit the Oregon running game.

McDonald had a blocked punt which was nice, but dropped an interception, and took some questionable angles at times. Solid tackler when he does get his hands on the ball carrier though and showed nice upper body strength keeping David Paulson out of the endzone on a play.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've watched two and half games now of his (finishing up Stanford-USC now), and I just don't see what is special about this guy.

First of all, he isn't even the free safety on the team. People claiming that he is a center fielder is off. It's very rare you'll find him playing a deep zone. Only time I've seen it is when they play cover two. Generally, he is asked to play in the box and has the assignment of man on a running back.

McDonald is inconsistent overall. His athletic ability is good, but I certainly don't see special. The guy can lay a lick and is a violent hitter, but is inconsistent in his angles and doesn't always properly breakdown or wrap-up. Also, he gets high in his backpedal and his hips look average.

The first half of the Stanford game, Jawanza Starling, the guy who actually plays free safety and center field for the Trojans, never came out of the game on defense, but McDonald was benched for two series in a row near the end of the second half for Drew McAllister, except for one 3rd down play, in which USC played Cover 2 and McDonald was playing deep.

McDonald just seems to be a lot more hype than substance. Maybe it's the 5-star recruit tag, maybe it's father and brother being ex-NFLer's. Two of his three interceptions came in that Arizona highlight when Foles just basically threw the ball to him. His ball skills aren't anywhere near what many try to make them out to be.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Josh Bush will play more CF for the Jets than Laron Landry. This is not because Josh Bush is a better safety than Laron Landry.

It's the same thing with Lester and Barron...Lester gets credit for being the rangier guy amongst fans but Barron was the one who fills out the stat sheet and calls all the shots in the secondary.

Safety is just a weird position....you can fill it fairly easily with role player types and so studs are few and far in between, always balancing on the "zomg so overratedz" line.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Quote:
Josh Bush will play more CF for the Jets than Laron Landry. This is not because Josh Bush is a better safety than Laron Landry.

It's the same thing with Lester and Barron...Lester gets credit for being the rangier guy amongst fans but Barron was the one who fills out the stat sheet and calls all the shots in the secondary.

Safety is just a weird position....you can fill it fairly easily with role player types and so studs are few and far in between, always balancing on the "zomg so overratedz" line.
I wasn't saying Starling is better, I was just trying to point out McDonald is overrated. I don't have a problem if a safety is playing strong and more in the box if that is what he is a fit for. I'm just pointing out that people are blindly calling McDonald a center fielder when that just isn't true.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

I think he can play CF....Moore importantly I think you can throw him in the slot and also use him to help out against TEs.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Quote:
I think he can play CF....Moore importantly I think you can throw him in the slot and also use him to help out against TEs.
I'm really not too sure about that. McDonald is high in his backpedal and has stiff hips, in my opinion.

I really don't get people hyping him as having ball skills when he has shown next to nothing on tape displaying that.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First I've really seen of the guy, but looks great in coverage while still being a good tackler. Will certainly follow this kid.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I'm really not too sure about that. McDonald is high in his backpedal and has stiff hips, in my opinion.

I really don't get people hyping him as having ball skills when he has shown next to nothing on tape displaying that.
High in the backpedcal can be fixed with coaching...Stiff hips is a common knock and something I really, really have to buy for me to put any real weight on. Seen alot of good DBs carry that knock, grab it, and poop on it.

I don't think he's as good with the ball in the air as Barron, but I do stand by the idea that he'll be able to help out in coverage.

I think his issue will be overcoming the whole "hey that corner has size, that means he could probably be a safety!" craze going on right now. True, do it all safeties just can't buy love in the fan world right now.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is he another Mays or what Mays was suppose to be?