Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Terrelle Pryor says he took $3k

Quote:
"At that point last year, I'm 21 and it just felt like everything was against me, like I can't do anything right. I did something to help somebody else out, and I end up getting into trouble. I understand. I shouldn't have sold the stuff and taken $3,000. But I was kind of in a place where I didn't understand why this is happening to me -- especially for the reason that I did it."
Link

I just have to say that I respect the man a little bit more now after reading this article. Before everyone jumps out and gets all riled up about Pryor receiving improper benefits, let's look at the reason Pryor states he took the cash.

Quote:
"Let me remind you it was freezing cold in November, December, and she's using the oven as heat. That's what I did as a kid. I was telling the NCAA, 'Please, anything that you can do. I gave my mother this so my sister wouldn't be cold, so my mother wouldn't be cold.' They didn't have any sympathy for me."
Damn son. That's a noble thing to do. Clearly this man cares very deeply for his family. Does it change the fact that what he did broke the rules? Not at all. But at least it gives a little insight to the reason behind the move. Rather than this as an entirely selfish, self-promoting move, Pryor broke the rules so his family would make it.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait, are we supposed to hold something against Pryor for taking some money?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, that really changed my perspective on him. That takes a lot of guts to put something that you are that good at in jeopardy for your family. What a good human being.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Wait, are we supposed to hold something against Pryor for taking some money?
Some people do.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't blame the athletes, but I do blame the boosters and company the do provide the cash.

It's tough when you have a situation like Mr. Pryor's, but there are also guys that don't need the money that are getting it by the duffle bag.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

is an oven really a cheap source of heat?

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not dismissing that top-athletes should get financial gain, I find the "heat" aspect of this story quite suspect. I live right down the road from Jeannette, PA and I can say that his mother was often seen in expensive vehicles that reportedly came from the same money man that helped provide Terrelle with several expensive vehicles. Perhaps they could've gone with less luxury in their vehicles and more efficiency in their utilities.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...s8X3ZsvzroU0Bi

Just trying to provide heat for his family.

Last edited by phlysac : 05-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So..those seven different new cars (all registered to the same dealership) that he had at Ohio State...

Was he only taking them so he could park them in his mother's house and crank up their heaters?
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know sheet, but I think this is a BS story concocted by Pryor's reps to change public opinion about him.

If that were me and I was really selling my OSU gear for a 'noble' cause, I would have been in front of every local newcamera in Ohio telling my story.

Pryor got his coach fired and left a stain on the Buckeye program. He should keep his mouth closed and try to develop into the best backup NFL QB he can be, or try switching to WR.

His story is just to neat and tidy for me to buy it without more confirmation than, 'that's what Terrelle Pryor said happened.'

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 05-10-2012 at 02:44 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
is an oven really a cheap source of heat?
It can be if you aren't trying to heat the entire home, but it's also incredibly dangerous (Carbon Monoxide can be a big threat). If it's a gas powered oven, then it has the advantage of running when the power is cut off (for whatever reason). My parents live in Michigan and they keep a propane space heater around for those 2-3 times in the winter when their power goes out. If you do have electricity, then an electric space heater is a much better option.

The key to all of this is that you obviously only heat a small space. Nobody is going to heat their entire home with a space heater or their oven.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post

Just trying to provide heat for his family.
Hey, he needs that car to transport the 32" TV on the left, which I am sure he paid for.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And the arm sleeve tattoo as well. I'm sure that helped with the water bill. Or he was told he had to get it. Not his fault.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
regarding the cars, if they weren't given to him, there may not have been a choice to be made (as in, "here, drive this around! but i can't give you money, this is different.")
You can easily and anonymously pay for someone else's heat bill, at least here in Indiana. I would be surprised if the same wasn't true for other states.

edit: I want to say that this story may be true in part. Like maybe he started taking money to help his mom and sister get through the winter, and it snowballed from there. But that is hardly the only reason or the only amount of money/benefits he took.

Personally I don't care, I don't blame these kids much for taking money. Maybe they should know better but at most I'd say the blame goes 10% kids, 90% NCAA, schools, and boosters.

i done stole dis sig

Last edited by killxswitch : 05-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Personally I don't care, I don't blame these kids much for taking money. Maybe they should know better but at most I'd say the blame goes 10% kids, 90% NCAA, schools, and boosters.
Yeah, I don't want to look like I'm piling on. I feel the same way. I just feel he should take accountability and not make it sound like economic hardship and family welfare were the crux for his benefit grab. I'd rather he take thousands upon thousands and admit it became a lifestyle than say he only took a little to help his family. Honesty would win for me, in this instance.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, if I was a star D1 athlete at a top 20 program, hell yes I'm taking booster cheese in a handshake if I think there's NO WAY I'm gonna get caught.

I wouldn't, I don't think(lol!), go overboard like Reggie Bush did, but it's so easy to rationalize accepting improper benefits in college at big time programs when you see how much revenue your school is making off your sweat and blood on the football field.

Terrelle should just say he made a mistake and leave it at that. He doesn't owe anyone an explanation.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand Pyror's situation. You're a college student, who in his case, is playing at a top D1 school. It's a huge benefit that your tuition is getting paid for you 4 years of schooling, but how do you live? You really don't have time for a job as your time is mostly gone towards school then football and you don't get paid for football in college.

Most of these guys that take the money don't come from high income households either.

I respect Pryor a bit more admitting his mistakes.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
I understand Pyror's situation. You're a college student, who in his case, is playing at a top D1 school. It's a huge benefit that your tuition is getting paid for you 4 years of schooling, but how do you live? You really don't have time for a job as your time is mostly gone towards school then football and you don't get paid for football in college.

Most of these guys that take the money don't come from high income households either.

I respect Pryor a bit more admitting his mistakes.
He's not really admitting his mistakes though. I agree with whoever said he should just say that he made mistakes and move on, and that he doesn't owe anyone an explanation. Using his poor upbringing, which I'm sure has a kernel of truth to it, is pretty lame when he is driving brand new cars around campus and the surrounding area.

i done stole dis sig
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

everyone, please read the article, hes hardly taking responsibility for his actions, basically saying 'it wasnt fair, i felt like i got picked on.'

then he went and dropped some gems of 'woe is me' lines:

Quote:
I don't think I deserved (being punished) in that way, because of the reason I was doing it. I felt like I was doing God's work in a way, and I was getting driven into the ground.
Quote:
She was four months behind in rent, and the (landlord) was so nice because he was an Ohio State fan
this is actually a violation for improper benefits in and of itself, a lesser version of bush's violation: free housing with the promise of we'll make it up to you.

Quote:
Let me remind you it was freezing cold in November, December, and she's using the oven as heat. That's what I did as a kid. I was telling the NCAA, 'Please, anything that you can do. I gave my mother this so my sister wouldn't be cold, so my mother wouldn't be cold.' They didn't have any sympathy for me.
HA! TAKE THAT BIG BAD NCAA! look how souless they are! my family was freezing and they just laughed in my face as they left the freezer door open to add to their struggles!! what a freaking joke, way to try and villianize the ncaa. im sure they were like 'oh your family's suffering, thats just the way we love it! fap fap fap'

pryor is a dumb*** for letting someone talk him into this story. He broke a rule and payed for it, it happens. I dont hold it against him but the pitty party is pathetic and his story is illogical, which isnt a shocker.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You can easily and anonymously pay for someone else's heat bill, at least here in Indiana. I would be surprised if the same wasn't true for other states.
I know you can do this in Alabama and Texas as well. There is an option on the bill to pay more than what is due on your account and have it go to people who can't afford their bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terelle Pryor was on a full ride scholarship and if he was poor as he makes his family out to be got loaded with grants or loans if he wanted too. There is a lot of legal money he could have gotten from the state to give back to his family.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive heard from players on the team that it's much closer to 30k than 3k.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Terelle Pryor was on a full ride scholarship and if he was poor as he makes his family out to be got loaded with grants or loans if he wanted too. There is a lot of legal money he could have gotten from the state to give back to his family.
Can you still get grants and scholarships when you have a full ride scholarship already? It's hard to imagine you'd qualify, and pretty ****** considering the other candidates that would miss out so athletes could have "legit" drinking money.

i done stole dis sig
Old 05-10-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can you still get grants and scholarships when you have a full ride scholarship already? It's hard to imagine you'd qualify, and pretty ****** considering the other candidates that would miss out so athletes could have "legit" drinking money.
Yup, athletes can get a Pell Grant at Ohio State as well which will pay them a bit of money weekly depending on their parents income bracket.

They also get payed a flat sum for their books, food, etc. For example, a student athlete I RAed got $500 for books per quarter. Generally, they will run a student 200-300 dollars. So, he went and bought new shoes with the rest.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 05-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't buy the pity party. I agree it is a sob story that wasn't necessary. I certainly agree that the NCAA pushes their weight around, as do the boosters and agents. Everyone is out for themselves, lets not kid ourselves. Ultimately the athletes/students are at the bottom of the barrel and will take the brunt of it in the end, but they themselves hardly live the tough life.

If there is a level of helping the family then I can appreciate the desire to help them out. However, given what we know we can agree that at least a portion was used for personal pleasure, not strictly to 'support the family'.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I certainly feel for Pryor's family to an extent, a lot does not add up here. And while I don't think the system is perfect, the whole "feel bad for me, I had no choice" thing I can't go with.

First, I'm not sure what it's like in other states, but in Illinois it's illegal to turn off the heat to a residence in winter. So while it would have racked up unpaid bills, you wouldn't need to use an oven. No idea for PA.

Second, as others have mentioned, Pryor couldn't apply for other financial aide for his family? Or his family couldn't get aide? His ONLY choice was to accept improper benefits? Come on...

Third, Pryor is constantly seen off the field with valuable items, whether it be electronics, cars, jewelry, etc. Either one of two things is happening: he accepted everything against the rules, or someone was dumb enough to buy him all that stuff (within the rules) instead of spending the money on a heating bill.

Finally, it's not the NCAAs fault if you are poor. Does it suck? Absolutely. But they aren't forcing you to go to play football or go to school. Pryor could have graduated high school and gotten a full time job to provide for his family if it was that bad. He could have trained for a couple years while working, and enter the NFL draft in 3 years. Is that the optimal scenario? Of course not. But it's not like playing college football is his only option in life after HS, and so he was "forced" into cheating and accepting money improperly. And I know football is the reason why he's in college, and the reason why he can go to school for free, but millions of people don't go to college and at least scrape by in life. Sometimes life sucks and you can't always get what you want or play football for a living.

Again, I feel for his family if they are that poor, but it's really hard to believe things were soooo bad and he had no other choice.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote