Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prospect of the Day: DE Alex Okafor, Texas

If you’d like a thread about a prospect of your choosing, just send me a PM and I’ll make it ASAP!

DE Alex Okafor, Texas

#80 - 6'4 – 260 lbs. – 21 years old

Could he be the top DE this year? Do you think he's better than fellow Longhorn Jackson Jeffcoat?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Okafor as a player. He's got all the physical tools you're looking for, plays with his hands fairly well, and has versatilty at DE or OLB...if there's one thing I'd like to see more consistently from him, it'd be getting off the snap more quickly but that's something that can be worked on

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want him to blow up next year...One of my favorite players in this draft. Good idea to stay for his senior year. I want to see more sack production and TFLs.

Jeffcoat is a decent player himself. He even stands out in that YouTube clip.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will keep a close look on Okafor this year. One of my favorite DE prospects.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Buc Baller12
Rookie

Buc Baller12 is a cocksman.Buc Baller12 is a cocksman.Buc Baller12 is a cocksman.

those bookends of ut are nasty
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be looking for him for the Saints' pick, but if he's the top DE in the draft then I really don't hope to be in the position to draft him.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think teams avoiding players with character issues will push him down their boards.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you're saying he's high on the Bengals' board.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:19 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I really like Okafor as a player. He's got all the physical tools you're looking for, plays with his hands fairly well, and has versatilty at DE or OLB...if there's one thing I'd like to see more consistently from him, it'd be getting off the snap more quickly but that's something that can be worked on
That is the only thing that I didn't like from the video. He uses his hands well to rip off blocks. He looked fantastic at playing the run.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
That is the only thing that I didn't like from the video. He uses his hands well to rip off blocks. He looked fantastic at playing the run.
He should be great vs. the run. He played out of position as a sophomore as primarily a (265lb) DT for the Longhorns. Although it was out of necessity and he was miscast there, I can't help but think that his time inside made him that much better against the run now that he's moved back to end.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
He should be great vs. the run. He played out of position as a sophomore as primarily a (265lb) DT for the Longhorns. Although it was out of necessity and he was miscast there, I can't help but think that his time inside made him that much better against the run now that he's moved back to end.
Yeah I can definitely see how it has helped him. He eats up the run.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was going to hold off on posting this until I create my topic for defensive ends but here's what I've got for Okafor:

Alex Okafor, Texas (6’4”, 260, 4.65)

Positives:

• Has a sturdy build along with the height and bulk to play in either a 4-3 or 3-4
• Long arms are effective at creating separation from offensive linemen
• Powerful style of play; can drive blockers back and shed blocks to get to the ball
• Tackling fundamentals are sound; wraps up with proper form and hits forcefully
• Change-of-direction is impressive; can bend the edge in order to get to the quarterback
• Motor is more than adequate; gives effort against the pass as well as the run
• Uses a few different pass rush moves in order to create pressure; active hand use
• Anchor is solid; avoids getting driven back too often by keeping his feet moving
• Does a nice job of scraping down the line in order to make plays against the run
• Has rushed out of both two and three-point stances in college (more effective from three)

Negatives:

• Inconsistency must be addressed in the 2012 season (week-to-week play)
• Must improve his initial quickness off of the snap; lags behind his teammates
• Recognition skills will require some work; ends up out of position a little bit too often
• Overly focused on winning the outside at times and surrenders inside (overaggression)
• Played the left end in college rather than the more reassuring right end position
• Pad level gets a little bit high when he rushes from a two-point stance
• Has not been an incredible finisher; six sacks in 2011 was a career high (10.5 total)
• Character will be investigated after being arrested in a bar this month

Grade: First round
Old 05-12-2012, 02:24 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Double post, my bad!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

better bookends, UT or LSU?

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 AM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he would work out Okafor many teams.
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Semi topical but the amount of pass rushers in next year's class is really good. Just look at this list of eligible players:
Jarvis Jones, Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery, William Gholston, Devin Taylor, Dion Jordan, Brandon Jenkins, Bjoern Werner, Michael Buchanan, Sean Porter, John Simon, Stansly Mopanga, Chase Thomas and Corey Lemonier are all legitimate college pass rushers who are going to be given a shot to produce at the next level. Heck, one of the most productive and athletic prospects, Nordly Capi, won't even be playing next season.

At this stage I'd say this is a really strong pass rushing class.
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure what exactly transpired with Okafor's arrested, but it seems nothing more than being a little rowdy at a bar. I don't think that's a 'character concern' of any significance. Obviously there may be teams who disagree, but for me at least it wouldn't be a black mark.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

About the character issues...he and a couple teammates were arrested at Ropolo's pizza while waiting in line (which is in the street), apparently for a disturbance. It's on 6th street, which is where all the bars in Austin are, and the cops there are usually pretty quick to make arrests, just because it's easy. I've hung out with him before, and I think teams will quickly realize he's a good kid.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 10 talent if he passes the character test.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Him and Jackson Jeffcoat are both first rounders. I hope the G-Men get one of them next year

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM    (permalink
ChiefMojo
Rookie

ChiefMojo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is a top 10 talent or the best DE in the country but he is pretty good. From a pure pass rush aspect, he is down the list compared to many in this upcoming draft. He is a very good against the run but is NOT a elite pass rusher imo.

I'll say this, trying to judge Okafor off the Kansas State film probably isn't the best considering what you see there offensively isn't NFL caliber or style (KSU makes it work)... unless your facing Tim Tebow every week.
ChiefMojo is offline   Reply With Quote