Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Good thing it was a Thanksgiving episode.
Next week brother
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Then we're closer to the end of May.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Then why do it? It's even stranger to allude to it, but never have anything happen.

And really, no significant character has ever died. It's not like they keep going to that well.
I shouldn't have said nobody will die. I'm just not convinced a main character will die. It's just for a show that's built on subtlety and unpredictability, it seems too obvious to kill a main character after they've been foreshadowing death so heavily. Why do it? Explore death/mortality as a concept (something that hasn't really been a theme up until this season). Also using those allusions of death as a tool to create looming tension. Not saying it won't happen to a main character but there was a point where I was fully expecting it, now it would surprise me a bit. That's all.

Though I will say, you're theory about Pete hitting the guy from the train with his car is one of my favorite theories yet. Wife becomes a widow, how does Pete deal with it/cover it up, etc. I could see something like that happening.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god mad men is amazing

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree Fenikz. Mad Men is so ******* awesome. It really has solidified itself as a close second in my unwritten favorite television shows on air list. ******* love it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's almost sad how much satisfaction I got out of Sally wrecking Betty's hopes (the Anna stuff) toward the end of the episode.

Take that, fat Betty!

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I shouldn't have said nobody will die. I'm just not convinced a main character will die. It's just for a show that's built on subtlety and unpredictability, it seems too obvious to kill a main character after they've been foreshadowing death so heavily. Why do it? Explore death/mortality as a concept (something that hasn't really been a theme up until this season). Also using those allusions of death as a tool to create looming tension. Not saying it won't happen to a main character but there was a point where I was fully expecting it, now it would surprise me a bit. That's all.

Though I will say, you're theory about Pete hitting the guy from the train with his car is one of my favorite theories yet
. Wife becomes a widow, how does Pete deal with it/cover it up, etc. I could see something like that happening.
They've been building up the possibility all season.

Pete doesn't know how to drive. Howard and he discuss this fact on the train.
Pete goes to drivers education. Begins a path toward cheating on Trudy.
Pete is seen with his car on several occasions, then one day meets Howard's wife, who remarks how bad of a driver Pete is (speeding through a stop sign) as he takes her home.
Pete half-jokingly tells Howard to skip Thanksgiving with his wife and he will **** her for him.

Plus a lot of other stuff. A good show will do these sorts of things, building a subtle suggestion that such a thing would occur under plausible circumstances. If they spring it on us, we'll all be thinking, "Hey, that makes sense."
Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Plus a lot of other stuff. A good show will do these sorts of things, building a subtle suggestion that such a thing would occur under plausible circumstances. If they spring it on us, we'll all be thinking, "Hey, that makes sense."
I understand what you're saying but this is Matthew Weiner was a writer and producer for The Sopranos, a show that consistently went against that way of thinking. Now obviously the two shows independent of each other but my gut says that Weiner doesn't feel obligated to give the audience a satisfying 'aha moment'. But who knows.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I understand what you're saying but this is Matthew Weiner was a writer and producer for The Sopranos, a show that consistently went against that way of thinking. Now obviously the two shows independent of each other but my gut says that Weiner doesn't feel obligated to give the audience a satisfying 'aha moment'. But who knows.
The show is going to do SOMETHING significant. No season just ends without a major development or two. I'd be curious to know what you think will happen alternatively.

Season 4 Don proposes to Megan and they lose Lucky Strike
Season 3 Betty gets with Henry, files for divorce, new agency begins
Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I do think something will have to come of Roger this season. I don't think they'll go with yet another season after this one of him being marginalized by Pete with every passing week. His expiration date without relevancy is nearing.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The show is going to do SOMETHING significant. No season just ends without a major development or two. I'd be curious to know what you think will happen alternatively.
I'm referring only to a main character dying (which I'm not betting against but expecting a lot less than I did a few weeks ago). The pacing and feel of this season certainly gives off the feel that a major moment is coming.

Quote:
I do think something will have to come of Roger this season. I don't think they'll go with yet another season after this one of him being marginalized by Pete with every passing week. His expiration date without relevancy is nearing.
fenikz brought this up on irc, but if a major character was to die, Roger would make a lot of sense. Even through he's dealing with Pete/Jane, things still seem to be going surprisingly well for him recently with his new outlook. That, and like you mentioned, his storyline and development seem limited moving forward.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I don't think they'll kill of John Slattery. I know, I know ... Weiner isn't one to follow TV conventions ... BUT, I really doubt they'll part with Slattery with 2 seasons remaining.

Roger makes sense as a person to die for the sake of his narrative running out, but he's still not the one I expect to kick the can.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Random thought that I think I've dropped in this thread once before:

The death of Bobby Draper.

Child death? Sure, it's sad and not a common TV occurrence. But imagine the storylines that could come of it. If they intend to keep Betty involved in the plot, this would be a way of ensuring she remains relevant. You'd have to deal with the ramifications for Don, Betty, Sally, Megan, the office trying to keep Don together and consequently keeping the agency afloat.

Bold, but with potent consequences. Something will have to happen to shift Don's home life over the final two seasons. This is the alternative to the demise and separation from Megan, which doesn't have to happen necessarily, though we expect it.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My other theory is that nothing will happen until the last scene of the Finale when they all sit down at the conference table and Cooper just drops dead

and my theory for the show in general is that for the series finale Don will jump off his building like in the intro, but also like the intro he will fall back into the pilot episode, so all the ads and such are a worm hole :D

Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

It was Roger who said he wanted to throw something out the window of the office when Ginsgerg was hired.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many seasons so far?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

this is season 5

Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suck it fat Betty she is such a dumbass annoyance
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

"Worst" episode of the season in the sense that, if I had to rank them, this one is likely last.

But there were some obviously great scenes in there.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I do hope we don't see a return of .... this season.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

The stakes of the final 3 episodes are set, finally. This was basically the, "Let's make up for the lack of Joan, Lane and Harry stories from all season long" episode.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn dat Hari Khrishna chick
Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I do hope we don't see a return of .... this season.

Moved into the top 4 for suicide/death.

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

I'm really, really, really hoping for a strong last three episodes. Lane's storyline just seemed to come out of nowhere.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

didnt understand really... this one was all over the place and the weird cult crap... wtf?