Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I decided to create a LinkedIn, but I have no contacts! Who else has got one?

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=117946567
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have one. I rarely use it but I'm on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am too. I'm still not quite sure how linkedin will help me, but hey

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
I am too. I'm still not quite sure how linkedin will help me, but hey
Found you! :)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Linkedin hasn't helped me too much. I work in Government so it's not really about networking as much as Private Sector jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having a Linkedin account helped me get through the first round of interviews at the company I will be interning for this summer. What happened was that I knew who was interviewing me and I found his profile on the website, and took a mental note of a couple of his accomplishments (kind of creepy...yes). But when it came time where they asked if I had any questions, I brought it up, and I was told afterwards that they liked the fact that I did that.

For college/just graduated students, LinkedIn is a great way to keep track of your connections. The more you have, the more secondary and third connections you have. For example, I have about 70 connections right now, and say I want to look up the company Apple. You can go to their company page and see who all is in your network that works there. From there you can connect with those people in your network, and conduct informational interviews (which is helpful in learning how to get into the company/field/getting advice) or to see if there is anything available.

In this economy, everything is in connections. I think I had posted this earlier, but I applied online to probably around 6-10 different companies and received either no reply or declining my application. The interviews that I did have, and the offers that I got came through connections and meeting people face to face.

My advice:
Ask your relatives if they know anyone who can even just meet with you for 20 minutes. This will give you the opportunity to make an impression on someone in a potential field for you as well as gain knowledge and insight from them. Bring your resume too so they can see it. More often than not they will hold onto it, or pass it along to see if other places may be hiring. Just having one connection to a company helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was going to take me slightly more than 4 years to finish my degree in mechanical engineering so I'm going to add a minor in materials and finish next spring. I have an internship at a place I really want to work at this summer so I'm pretending I'm graduating now, but I still get to go to college next year! If I don't get a job out of college I'll probably go to grad school for optical engineering.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Be prepared to wait a long time to find a dream job. I graduated with my masters last year and now I have been receiving leads/interviews.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!
SRK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good advice from everyone. Congrats on graduating. I have been out of college for seven years now but can still remember the initial apprehension and anxiety upon graduating. It sounds like you have a solid idea of what you want to do which is a good start. The key moving forward is to begin networking with people - asking friends/relatives if they can pass your resume along or if they know of anyone hiring. You should pretty much approach your first job as a "foot in the door". Also, consider the local economy and the possibility you may have to relocate to find employment.

Once you get hired, just display a good work ethic, show your a competent individual, don't be late for work, show a positive attitude and eagerness to learn. Don't ever think you are above doing any task assigned to you. After working for a few years you will have already encountered several people and wonder how the hell they have jobs and how they manage to hold onto them.

I am actually in the process of relocating/job hunting now as well. Hope my advice helps - it is just what I have picked up/observed in my 6 or so years in the "white collar" world.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am no expert but can give advice/recommendations.

Good Luck!
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what line of work are you in?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go back to college... working life sucks compared to college and the longer you can delay reality the better ;)

In all seriousness though, apply for everything and fluff your resume out with everything and always make it sound better than it is but don't be stupid about it, don't put stupid cliche's in your covering letter for instance as they will just get laughed at and undermine your resume.

Always do an individual cover letter to hand in with your resume. Every job wants someone with experience but the reality is that if it says 2-5 years experience you can get it with none if you can show that you really want it and that you are capable of learning quickly, they only want 2-5 to save on training, if you are willing to work for a bit less and show that you are capable of learning then you can get a job.

For your interviews, always push that you are a fast learner, hard working, love to be challenged and that you can work independently or as part of a team, both are equally important, no one wants to hire a weirdo who will sit in the corner unless they are absolutely brilliant and no one wants someone that will be a drain on everyone else because they can't work alone or have no initiative.

Mostly, just apply for everything that you think your degree might even remotely apply to, you never know when you will apply for one job and get offered another that they haven't advertised yet. It's important to remember that it is insanely unlikely that your first job will be your last job and that you will be there for anything more than the experience to get the next job.

Connections are always helpful as well if you know anyone that can help.

I can't comment on internships, Australia isn't big on the whole slave labour thing so they basically don't exist over here so I don't know if they are good or not!

Interviews are basically common sense but be honest and self aware, if you have flaws(and we all do) turn them into strengths in the eyes of the interviewer, for instance I lose interest in things quickly if they aren't challenging so I make it quite clear in my interview that I can "lose focus" if I'm not being constantly challenged by things when they ask if you have any weaknesses. That way I've spun one of my biggest weaknesses into a potential strength. So far I've been offered every job I've applied for, touch wood!

Good luck, I hear the job market in the US is very competitive right now so should be tough. You could always come to Australia! We have boat loads of jobs on offer!

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
what line of work are you in?
I.T. - SW Development
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
When every job requires 2-5 years experience a little unpaid labor when you are still in the grace period of your student loans is a good thing.
My summer plans are to start looking a year early.

Anyway, I need to find companies that I am interested in. Is there any site that has like a consolidated list of companies in different industries or regions?

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
My summer plans are to start looking a year early.

Anyway, I need to find companies that I am interested in. Is there any site that has like a consolidated list of companies in different industries or regions?
Just google search something like "top companies in ____________". That is what I did for Chicago area and found and applied to several places that I wouldn't even have thought about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's what I have been doing for the last hour. I'm just sending out inquiries at this point, since I don't graduate for a whole entire year. But I figured I should start researching and getting my name out there.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK85 View Post
Be prepared to wait a long time to find a dream job. I graduated with my masters last year and now I have been receiving leads/interviews.
What's your major?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
The advice I got from my college is to start applying 7 weeks before graduating.
Wrong. You should be applying the semester before you graduate so you can have a job lined up at graduation.

Most companies will do most of their recruiting on campus during the fall semester.

What exactly have you guys been doing as far as looking for employment during your last year in college? I graduated 3 years ago from Texas A&M (business major) and it was pretty much assumed that your senior year/last 2 semesters should be devoted to finding a job. You don't do it last minute right before you graduate. Take advantage of your career center and the career fairs on campus. My senior year, I probably had 20+ interviews and ended up with 4 offers. Keep in mind this was at the height of the recession where companies were still coming to our career fairs but weren't even accepting resumes.

Last edited by foozball : 05-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's interesting to see that everyone on here is in such a rush to start working when they finish!

I personally didn't go straight into work after and found it to be a great decision (I still don't really know what I want to do!). Full time work is an absolute reality check, you pretty much lose 90% of your life so it's a huge change from uni/college where you have maybe 3-5 hours a day worth of commitment, compared to 9+ hours and no real "I don't feel like going so I'll play Xbox all day" option either.

Just saying I don't really get the mad rush to start working full time, you'd actually be amazed how comparatively less well off you actually are. I had just as much disposable income at uni as I do now and I actually had the time to dispose of it...

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
It's interesting to see that everyone on here is in such a rush to start working when they finish!

I personally didn't go straight into work after and found it to be a great decision (I still don't really know what I want to do!). Full time work is an absolute reality check, you pretty much lose 90% of your life so it's a huge change from uni/college where you have maybe 3-5 hours a day worth of commitment, compared to 9+ hours and no real "I don't feel like going so I'll play Xbox all day" option either.

Just saying I don't really get the mad rush to start working full time, you'd actually be amazed how comparatively less well off you actually are. I had just as much disposable income at uni as I do now and I actually had the time to dispose of it...
But what the hell do you do then? If you don't start working do you just hang out? I need money, definitely can't afford to not start working asap.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
But what the hell do you do then? If you don't start working do you just hang out? I need money, definitely can't afford to not start working asap.
Work part time and just enjoy life. Beach, travel, sports, partying and all that type of thing.

They weren't wrong with more money more problems. The more you make the more you spend, you don't end up any further ahead, you just live in a nice area, drive a nicer car which are all great for the first couple of months and then you realise it's just a house and just a car still! You end up spending half your life in traffic, that sort of thing!

Reality sucks is all I'm saying :)

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Work part time and just enjoy life. Beach, travel, sports, partying and all that type of thing.

They weren't wrong with more money more problems. The more you make the more you spend, you don't end up any further ahead, you just live in a nice area, drive a nicer car which are all great for the first couple of months and then you realise it's just a house and just a car still! You end up spending half your life in traffic, that sort of thing!

Reality sucks is all I'm saying :)
You know what sucks more than that? Student loans. I'll take my full time job ha

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
What's your major?
Undergrad International Studies. Graduate degree in Central/Eastern European Studies. Can not really reveal my career interests other than I want to work with something related to foreign policy.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Undergrad International Studies. Graduate degree in Central/Eastern European Studies. Can not really reveal my career interests other than I want to work with something related to foreign policy.
i'm an international studies major too. i would love some kind of think tank or ngo position but i don't think i'm qualified enough with just a BA. did you have any career opportunities after undergrad or did you go straight into grad school?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i'm an international studies major too. i would love some kind of think tank or ngo position but i don't think i'm qualified enough with just a BA. did you have any career opportunities after undergrad or did you go straight into grad school?
I went straight to grad school but then again I got my undergrad in 2009. The job market was awful back then and my GPA was kinda low. As for NGO or think tanks ask your adviser.

Also these links are good: http://www.ncsu.edu/majors-careers/d...ajor.php?id=97
http://pdx.edu/careers/what-can-i-do...tional-studies
http://careers.usc.edu/students/care...onal-relations

Now if you want to work in the intelligence community an advanced degree and prior experience abroad is a must. Also if you want to be a diplomat register for the FSOT. It is hard but the career is very rewarding.

Also remember pursuing a dream career can take over 12 months find a reasonable job and the meantime. Just keep on applying eventually you will land the job you want. It today's economy patience is key.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I went straight to grad school but then again I got my undergrad in 2009. The job market was awful back then and my GPA was kinda low. As for NGO or think tanks ask your adviser.

Also these links are good: http://www.ncsu.edu/majors-careers/d...ajor.php?id=97
http://pdx.edu/careers/what-can-i-do...tional-studies
http://careers.usc.edu/students/care...onal-relations

Now if you want to work in the intelligence community an advanced degree and prior experience abroad is a must. Also if you want to be a diplomat register for the FSOT. It is hard but the career is very rewarding.

Also remember pursuing a dream career can take over 12 months find a reasonable job and the meantime. Just keep on applying eventually you will land the job you want. It today's economy patience is key.
A masters to work in the intel community is not a "must." Experience abroad is also not a must. They are nice to haves and do put you above the rest of the competition, but I wouldn't say they're a must.
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote