Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cassel threw for almost 3700 yards in NE. His best yardage season in KC is 3116.

I just averaged the two.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
DT-I'll say push it's close.
Lol. No. SF is significantly better on D.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Lol. No. SF is significantly better on D.
It says DT, not D. There is a letter after the D there.

And I'm not arguing coaching, but after RAC took over the Chiefs went 2-1, with one of those victories coming against the previously undefeated Packers and the only loss being in overtime because of two blocked FGs.

I'm not taking anything away from Harbaugh, just saying that the coaching situation has been improved SIGNIFICANTLY in KC.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

And I'm not arguing coaching, but after RAC took over the Chiefs went 2-1, with one of those victories coming against the previously undefeated Packers and the only loss being in overtime because of two blocked FGs.

I'm not taking anything away from Harbaugh, just saying that the coaching situation has been improved SIGNIFICANTLY in KC.
That remains to be seen. I mean Crennel did stink up the joint with the Browns. I'm not sure I can see a improvement over Haley other then a freah set of eyes up until this point. Can he manage the game on Sundays consistently and not get out-coached? Can he identify personel and put them in a position to succeed? Can he motivate and instill a work ethic in his team as a whole? Those were some of the issues that plagued him in Cleveland. The talent on this team though is leaps and bounds better than those Browns teams he coached so that wont be a excuse going foward. We'll see how he handles the rest.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not just RAC, but Daboll is a significant leap over Haley as far as playcalling goes (which should be obvious, since Haley was awful at it when he was here) and we fired our ST coordinator after the season too, and yeah, like you said, it was Cleveland. No offense to my Cleveland buddies here, but can anyone name the last coach that was successful there?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
That remains to be seen. I mean Crennel did stink up the joint with the Browns. I'm not sure I can see a improvement over Haley other then a freah set of eyes up until this point. Can he manage the game on Sundays consistently and not get out-coached? Can he identify personel and put them in a position to succeed? Can he motivate and instill a work ethic in his team as a whole? Those were some of the issues that plagued him in Cleveland. The talent on this team though is leaps and bounds better than those Browns teams he coached so that wont be a excuse going foward. We'll see how he handles the rest.
Who doesn't? It's the Browns.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Cassel threw for almost 3700 yards in NE. His best yardage season in KC is 3116.

I just averaged the two.
Since 2008, when Cassell began starting in New England...

Matt Cassell - Yards per Attempt - 6.623
Alex Smith --- Yards per Attempt - 6.785

So if Smith threw it anywhere near as much as Cassell, I guess it wouldn't be a "dream season" for him.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm well aware of what it says. SF's DTs are better.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I can't give either Cassel or Alex Smith an advantage over the other. They cancel each other out.

EDIT: The Raider and SD still have good talent. Ingram and Jarret Johnson are huge pickups for the Bolts, who IMO had a hiccup last year. And I still believe Peyton Manning at 75-85% makes the Broncos a threat to beat anyone they play.

It may not be the best division in football, but the AFCW has to be one of the more competitive.
Coaching is really important too, and the x-factor. I don't think Smith would do as well well under KC's offensive coaching staff. Heck, switch Harbaugh and Crennel around (and the coaching staffs) and i think KC becomes instant contenders, and the 49ers would be 10-6 at best.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Cassell has one 3500 yard season. Which was in New England's pass-heavy offense. Cassell's second best season was similar in yardage to to that of Smith's last year (conservative, power-running offense.)

Why make it out to be a "dream season" for one player, and a eh, "just has to play well" for the other?
Didn't Cassel have Moss that season too?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No offense to my Cleveland buddies here, but can anyone name the last coach that was successful there?
Butch Davis, for a season.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Holy christ. I get that SF had a great year last year, but stop acting like Harbaugh is some coaching genius. The homer here is getting out of control.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Holy christ. I get that SF had a great year last year, but stop acting like Harbaugh is some coaching genius. The homer here is getting out of control.
You are taking things completely the wrong way. There really isn't even a bad vibe in this thread the last couple pages. This discussion mainly has to do with the Chiefs and what Crennel plans to do going forward. No one said Harbaugh is a coaching genius. A few people implied that he did a good coach with the players last season. But the conversations gravitated towards Crennel and if he'll succeed in Kansas City where he failed in Cleveland. VAfy-ya just said he has better talent than he did with the Browns, so we shall see.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
You are taking things completely the wrong way. There really isn't even a bad vibe in this thread the last couple pages. This discussion mainly has to do with the Chiefs and what Crennel plans to do going forward. No one said Harbaugh is a coaching genius. A few people implied that he did a good coach with the players last season. But the conversations gravitated towards Crennel and if he'll succeed in Kansas City where he failed in Cleveland. VAfy-ya just said he has better talent than he did with the Browns, so we shall see.
Yep , nothing malicious going on here.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't see how Crenell did that bad with the Browns I mean when was the last time the Browns had a 10 win season without Romeo? 1994? Yeah the Browns are not exactly a team use to winning.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
I don't see how Crenell did that bad with the Browns I mean when was the last time the Browns had a 10 win season without Romeo? 1994? Yeah the Browns are not exactly a team use to winning.
Well the Browns last made the playoffs with Butch Davis. Doesn't matter, he didn't succeed in Cleveland end of story. That doesn't mean he can't succeed with Kansas City though.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well the Browns last made the playoffs with Butch Davis. Doesn't matter, he didn't succeed in Cleveland end of story. That doesn't mean he can't succeed with Kansas City though.
My point is no one can succeed in Cleveland. I just didn't want to push the Browns fans off the bridge.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
My point is no one can succeed in Cleveland. I just didn't want to push the Browns fans off the bridge.
That is what folks said about Detroit. Cleveland was fairly decent in the 1980's. They haven't been good since then.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 AM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KC was a blocked FG away from winning the division last year. A blocked freaking FG. And that was with Tyler "I don't belong in the NFL" Palko starting for a month.
You give KC Jamaal Charles last year, they make the playoffs. Hell I think if Matt Cassel didn't get injured we make the playoffs.

You guys need to realize that Romeo took over an absolutely awful Browns team. Him winning 10 games is a miracle in itself.

I think with our injured players coming back and Cassel being back in the Pats system he thrived in, with so much talent around him, will have him playing at a level similar to 2010.

Oh and reports in KC is that Baldwin looks fantastic. I fully expect him to make a big impact this year.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That is what folks said about Detroit. Cleveland was fairly decent in the 1980's. They haven't been good since then.
In the Millen era they would have been right. I imagine we had a couple good coaches in the Millen era we were just devoid of any target.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jeesh, I like these Niners quite a bit, appreciate how the roster is assembled, and admire the coaching staff for their impressive performance, but reading some of the posts in this thread make it seem like this team is straight from the eighties, and it isnít.

An honest roster comparison can be had here. Both teams have a firm commitment to running the ball as the foundation of their offense and being strong on defense and an infusion of new blood on their coaching staff. Those are their hallmarks. And both teams have similar shortcomings, too. Their quarterback situations are just average. Thereís a valid thought process behind the comparison. To dismiss it based on the Ninersí wild success last season is being shortsighted. Past result isnít the perfect indicator for future success.

At quarterback, Iím far from sold on either. And, to me, thatís the thrust of this comparison. Teams composed of comparable, above average talent elsewhere and a maligned quarterback that just needs to be solid. Because I think both, at their core, are caretaker quarterbacks. I was impressed with the maturation and perseverance that Alex Smith showed, but I still donít think heís something to get excited about. Heís a good caretaker with a little potential. His brand of football fits San Francisco, but heís limited and the scheme must be manipulated around him at this point. As of right now, Matt Cassel needs to improve to get there. With the rash of injuries, Cassel struggled and handicapped the Chiefs offense. He must rediscover that solid form this season. He has proven to be a capable caretaker quarterback before. His performance is the biggest factor for the Chiefs. If he can be stable, I donít think a return to the postseason is far-fetched at all. Right now, I would give the Niners a clear edge at the position. Letís not forget how Alex Smith was viewed around nine-to-twelve months ago though.

Running back is close. Jamaal Charles is an electric home run-hitter coming off a torn knee and Peyton Hillis is a bruiser coming off a forgettable season in Cleveland, but I love how their skill sets complement each other and believe itís a potent one-two punch. Frank Gore is a reliable workhorse, Kendall Hunter is a well-rounded backup, LaMichael James adds some explosive elements, and Brandon Jacobs is irrelevant. The Niners line mauls, but the Chiefs added a premier right tackle in Eric Winston to anchor that side. Overall, I like the Ninersí line more, but I prefer the Chiefsí stable of backs.

On defense, I think the Chiefs are being slept on. Itís not like this is a slam dunk no-brainer. This unit has legitimate talent at each level. On the whole, Iíd give San Francisco the edge, but most of that is based off the strength of their front seven, and Justin Smithís absurd beastliness in particular. The Chiefs arenít even devoid of difference-makers there though. Tamba Hali is a stud edge rusher and Derrick Johnson has emerged as one of the gameís top odd-front inside linebackers. If some of the Chiefsí greener pieces continue to progress, this could be a real interesting debate.

Now, this thread seems to have devolved into coaching. For starters, Iím a big-time Harbaugh believer. The man knows how to maximize his football teamís potential. You could even see it at Stanford. Those Cardinal teams featured the best coached, most prepared units in the nation. I expect he will cement himself as one of the NFLís best in no time.

Which brings me to Romeo Crennel. As a Browns fan (who felt the sting of all those hurtful and true things), the following is what I remember of Crennel. Aside from poor clock management, the thing I disliked most was how unimaginative and vanilla the defenses were under his watch. But, in all fairness to RAC, Clevelandís talent level pales in comparison to his current crop of defenders and his approach to the defense back then was more hands-off. From what Iíve heard, heís retaining his defensive responsibilities this time around. That sounds like a self-aware man thatís capable of learning from prior experiences and changing as needed to me, so I donít think the Brown blemish on his rťsumť should be weighted too much going forward. Not to mention, I donít see Pioli looking to undermine him on a regular basis either.

TL; DR Ė I think the Niners are the better team, but the comparison has definite merit. If Cassel excels in a well-defined role, the Chiefs are capable of matching or even surpassing their 2010 form.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The question isn't if Matt Cassel can have an Alex Smith like season, it's a matter of will he?

He's already shown he's capable of putting up a year like that. He did it in 2010 under Weis. He had 3100 yards, 27 tds and 7 ints.

Alex Smith had 3100 yards 17 tds and 5 ints. So if you think about it, Cassel not only has shown that he can perform like Smith in a similar role, he's shown he can perform better than Smith in that role.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
Jeesh, I like these Niners quite a bit, appreciate how the roster is assembled, and admire the coaching staff for their impressive performance, but reading some of the posts in this thread make it seem like this team is straight from the eighties, and it isnít.

An honest roster comparison can be had here. Both teams have a firm commitment to running the ball as the foundation of their offense and being strong on defense and an infusion of new blood on their coaching staff. Those are their hallmarks. And both teams have similar shortcomings, too. Their quarterback situations are just average. Thereís a valid thought process behind the comparison. To dismiss it based on the Ninersí wild success last season is being shortsighted. Past result isnít the perfect indicator for future success.

At quarterback, Iím far from sold on either. And, to me, thatís the thrust of this comparison. Teams composed of comparable, above average talent elsewhere and a maligned quarterback that just needs to be solid. Because I think both, at their core, are caretaker quarterbacks. I was impressed with the maturation and perseverance that Alex Smith showed, but I still donít think heís something to get excited about. Heís a good caretaker with a little potential. His brand of football fits San Francisco, but heís limited and the scheme must be manipulated around him at this point. As of right now, Matt Cassel needs to improve to get there. With the rash of injuries, Cassel struggled and handicapped the Chiefs offense. He must rediscover that solid form this season. He has proven to be a capable caretaker quarterback before. His performance is the biggest factor for the Chiefs. If he can be stable, I donít think a return to the postseason is far-fetched at all. Right now, I would give the Niners a clear edge at the position. Letís not forget how Alex Smith was viewed around nine-to-twelve months ago though.

Running back is close. Jamaal Charles is an electric home run-hitter coming off a torn knee and Peyton Hillis is a bruiser coming off a forgettable season in Cleveland, but I love how their skill sets complement each other and believe itís a potent one-two punch. Frank Gore is a reliable workhorse, Kendall Hunter is a well-rounded backup, LaMichael James adds some explosive elements, and Brandon Jacobs is irrelevant. The Niners line mauls, but the Chiefs added a premier right tackle in Eric Winston to anchor that side. Overall, I like the Ninersí line more, but I prefer the Chiefsí stable of backs.

On defense, I think the Chiefs are being slept on. Itís not like this is a slam dunk no-brainer. This unit has legitimate talent at each level. On the whole, Iíd give San Francisco the edge, but most of that is based off the strength of their front seven, and Justin Smithís absurd beastliness in particular. The Chiefs arenít even devoid of difference-makers there though. Tamba Hali is a stud edge rusher and Derrick Johnson has emerged as one of the gameís top odd-front inside linebackers. If some of the Chiefsí greener pieces continue to progress, this could be a real interesting debate.

Now, this thread seems to have devolved into coaching. For starters, Iím a big-time Harbaugh believer. The man knows how to maximize his football teamís potential. You could even see it at Stanford. Those Cardinal teams featured the best coached, most prepared units in the nation. I expect he will cement himself as one of the NFLís best in no time.

Which brings me to Romeo Crennel. As a Browns fan (who felt the sting of all those hurtful and true things), the following is what I remember of Crennel. Aside from poor clock management, the thing I disliked most was how unimaginative and vanilla the defenses were under his watch. But, in all fairness to RAC, Clevelandís talent level pales in comparison to his current crop of defenders and his approach to the defense back then was more hands-off. From what Iíve heard, heís retaining his defensive responsibilities this time around. That sounds like a self-aware man thatís capable of learning from prior experiences and changing as needed to me, so I donít think the Brown blemish on his rťsumť should be weighted too much going forward. Not to mention, I donít see Pioli looking to undermine him on a regular basis either.

TL; DR Ė I think the Niners are the better team, but the comparison has definite merit. If Cassel excels in a well-defined role, the Chiefs are capable of matching or even surpassing their 2010 form.
The most thought out and well-spoken post I've read around here in a good while. I think Cassel has proven he can have a season as good as, if not better than the one Alex put together last year. They both need to prove they can accomplish those feats consistently, game after game, year after year.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both QBs can be more than "caretakers", though. The key for both is playing with confidence. Alex Smith is a BAMF when he plays angry and Cassel's beast mode is triggered if he gets a nice rhythm going early in the game. It's a matter of consistency for both. I think with non-****** protection and non-****** weapons, Cassel can achieve that consistency.

Alex is different in that I think he just needs to be made the guy and have a consistent year-to-year coaching situation.

Really doesn't matter what they need at this point, though. They both have it on paper for 2012 and they both need to prove they can play at those elevated levels over the course of an entire season and beyond.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Alex Smith is a BAMF when he plays angry
I appreciate that a non-biased observer can see that in his game. If he's able to bottle that consistently (BIG IF,) alot of the naysaying will become completely irrelevent.