Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was reading some of your comments regarding your training staff and I thought I'd pass on this peice I saw on Brandon Jacobs that I thought was a interesting insight into the Giants training methods.

Quote:
Brandon Jacobs says he hadn't done a squat in six years. This astounds me.

After all, Jacobs is a running back, and you would think that of all the positions groups, running backs would concentrate on building up their legs the most. What's more, he's 6-4, 264 pounds. His game is built on intimidation and power. You'd think he'd want to accentuate that as much as possible. You'd think that he'd be squatzilla.

He hasn't been. Jacobs said the concern when he was with the Giants was that squats - the most basic of all thigh- and butt-building exercises -- wouldn't be good for his knees, so he didn't do them.

But when he arrived with the 49ers, the trainers identified quickness and burst as a shortcoming in his game. Indeed, the critique in New York in recent seasons was that Jacobs has the size and appearance of the ultimate power runner but didn't hit the hole like one and was tripped up in the backfield too often. The 49ers prescribed a regimen of squats, and Jacobs says he notices a difference after only two months.

"My legs already feel a lot stronger," he said. "I'm stronger, I'm more explosive, I'm hitting the hole. I'm just ready to go."

Jacobs said he's slimmer than he was in New York, but he weighs the same. That's due to the muscle he's built up since joining the 49ers, he said. Jacobs turns 30 in July, but he says he's faster than he's been in years.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...francisco.html
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that is interesting, not sure if i can believe that, but I you do realize you can work the same muscle groups without squats and without putting strain on the knee, right?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
that is interesting, not sure if i can believe that, but I you do realize you can work the same muscle groups without squats and without putting strain on the knee, right?
Of course there isnt just one singular method to work those muscles but squats are generally considered the more direct approach to increasing explosion and base strength. The fact that Jacobs says he feels the difference already I think point to that. Just thought it was something to ponder, seeing as some you questioned the methods of your training staff after Nicks injury. Not saying squats are better than any other method, just passing along info.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Of course there isnt just one singular method to work those muscles but squats are generally considered the more direct approach to increasing explosion and base strength. The fact that Jacobs says he feels the difference already I think point to that. Just thought it was something to ponder, seeing as some you questioned the methods of your training staff after Nicks injury. Not saying squats are better than any other method, just passing along info.
maybe, most of our injuries are lower body, but I assume that that's how it is across the boards. We'll see if it makes a difference, I think the offensive line is what is/could be the only difference, he never really had the lateral movement.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did I miss anything?
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...1&#post3013341

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but I think we stole Rueben Randle. The more I watch of him, the more I'm surprised he fell so far.

He's actually a lot like a poor man's Vincent Jackson, in terms of how he moves, the routes he runs, his hip movement, etc. He's not a quick slant guy, but he can use that big long body and long strides to go down the field and get open and work the sidelines really well, run some square ins, comebacks, skinny, double moves etc.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree completely. I know a lot of us wanted Sanu round 2, but I know for me, that was because I never imagined that Randle would be there round 2.

To me, the picks I am most excited about are Randle, Hosely and Robinson. I think Randle is NFL ready and will be a big help. Hosely is just a straight baller that can make plays and I love his ability to make a INT a pick six. Robinson is a project yes, but we don't need him right now and he can still be an immediate red zone threat and will help blocking. Not to mention the fact that I fully trust Pope to get the most out of him.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I was reading some of your comments regarding your training staff and I thought I'd pass on this peice I saw on Brandon Jacobs that I thought was a interesting insight into the Giants training methods.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...francisco.html

Thanks for the post! I always found this stuff interesting from the days I coached and heard different trainers talk about their various methods for their programs.

I posted this on BBI, another Giants MB.

I remember when I coached I would listen to various trainers and how they would train the players during the off season vs other trainers on other teams.

Usually, you get to see or hear if any one team gets a specific injury that repeats itself over and over. For example, knee injuries or hamstring injuries, and we other teams or programs may not have these occur.

I found that to be an interesting element in football, how perhaps fans may not be aware. I guess, it's football, injuries are part of the game saying is a popular one, however, while injuries are part of the game, some occur on one team more than another.

Usually if a coach sees this trend he may fire the training staff or implement another work out program to help eliminate a certain injury.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nicks thinks he'll be ready by the start of training camp.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope they don't rush him. Let the young guys get more reps. Nicks doesn't need them.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I hope they don't rush him. Let the young guys get more reps. Nicks doesn't need them.
They won't. We're pretty cautious when it comes to injuries.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Nicks
Cruz
Randle
Barden
Jernigan
Hixon
DePalma
Stanback

Those are our 8 WRs heading into this training camp. Let's assume 6 make the team. DePalma and Stanback are most likely not making the team. Which means our 3 backups are Barden, Jernigan, and Hixon.

Not a terrible group of players. Hixon has his injury concerns. Jernigan and Barden have a ton to prove. I guess Barden is gonna survive this year, I don't see how we cut him when that's our depth chart at WR this season.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DePalma could make the team. I know he is a favorite amongst some of the coaches for his work during the week. Especially over Barden. Barden's draft status will no longer guarantee him a spot on the team.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm curious to see how our depth chart at LB shakes up.

Boley
Williams
Blackburn
Rivers

I think those 4 are locks to make the roster. The guys on the bubble are Sintim, Herzlich, Jones, Paysinger, Tracy.

I'm curious to see if Sintim has anything left in the tank. I doubt it.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
DePalma could make the team. I know he is a favorite amongst some of the coaches for his work during the week.
His chances of making the team comes down to 2 factors:

1. How terrible Barden looks in training camp.
2. Can he play special teams? Those backend guys have to play special teams, and Barden doesn't which would give DePalma a leg up on him if he's capable of doing it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
His chances of making the team comes down to 2 factors:

1. How terrible Barden looks in training camp.
2. Can he play special teams? Those backend guys have to play special teams, and Barden doesn't which would give DePalma a leg up on him if he's capable of doing it.
I imagine he could, or at least would try. Obviously don't know a whole lot about him, but he did a lot of scout team work.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I imagine he could, or at least would try. Obviously don't know a whole lot about him, but he did a lot of scout team work.
What's the rules for being on the scout team? Can we have him on the scout team for 2 years in a row?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
What's the rules for being on the scout team? Can we have him on the scout team for 2 years in a row?
From Wiki:

Quote:
However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve list.) If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad. Games in which a player is listed as the third-string quarterback (a designation that has been abolished as of 2011) do not count as being on the active list

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

He'll probably be a practice squader again then.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
He'll probably be a practice squader again then.
You'd have to worry a little about another team claiming him after the Giants coaching staff has publically lauded him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-29-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
You'd have to worry a little about another team claiming him after the Giants coaching staff has publically lauded him.
Yeah, but it's a risk we have to take. We can't keep em all. Unless he plays out of his mind in camp and during the preseason.

Very quietly, our depth in some key positions are slowly going to disappear. The next couple of drafts are going to be important on not only reshaping our roster, but also replenishing our depth.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, but it's a risk we have to take. We can't keep em all. Unless he plays out of his mind in camp and during the preseason.

Very quietly, our depth in some key positions are slowly going to disappear. The next couple of drafts are going to be important on not only reshaping our roster, but also replenishing our depth.
I'm also worried that when Ross leaves he's going to poach some of our players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I'm also worried that when Ross leaves he's going to poach some of our players.
I'm sure of it. I know if I was an owner and I was trying to rebuild a team from the ground up, the first move I make is hiring Ross as my GM, and the best medical staff, training staff, and scouts money could buy.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'll be very shocked if Ross doesn't have a GM job after this year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Well...he is black, so you never know. The vp of scouting of the Browns might get a shot before he does.