Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default How high will player salaries get?

As we all know, player salaries have skyrocketed in the last decade. The NFL finally put a rookie salary cap in place so that players would actually have to earn these great rewards, but with several $100 million-plus contracts in the league now, I got to wondering how big this snowball will get before it melts.

One of the things that caught my attention this offseason was the backloading that agents have done with player contracts, specifically Calvin Johnson and Mario Williams. While this tactic requires patience on the part of the player, it pays off bigtime when their contract year comes up in terms of leverage.

When a player's contract is finished, the team has the right to place the franchise tag on him at a value of either the average salary of the top 5 highest paid players at his position, or 120% of his cap number that year, whichever is greater. Because of the backloaded contracts, both Johnson and Williams had franchise values of over $20 million. This gave them a huge amount of leverage when it came time to renegotiate. In the end Detroit gave Johnson the huge deal he was seeking, while Houston was forced to let Williams walk and he got his deal from Buffalo.

Take a look at the situation Drew Brees is in right now. Due to his contract NOT being backloaded, the Saints are not behaving in the same manner as they would if he had a huge franchise number. You better believe that every agent for a starting QB in the league is paying close attention. I don't see many similar contracts coming about in the near future.

Another thing to consider is the possibility that more and more underclassmen will declare for the draft rather than returning to school. Since the inception of the rookie cap, it has become the wiser move to come out early. The sooner you finish your rookie contract, the sooner you get the big bucks.

I don't know if I'm looking for answers here, or if I just find the money side of the game fascinating. In any case, I would like to know how everyone else sees this. Just seems like the kind of thing we all like to talk about around here:)
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Another thing to consider is the possibility that more and more underclassmen will declare for the draft rather than returning to school. Since the inception of the rookie cap, it has become the wiser move to come out early. The sooner you finish your rookie contract, the sooner you get the big bucks.
This has always been true though lol. Nothing has changed either way, except some players may never get the "big bucks" now.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is true. So will the result be a wider margin between the have's and have nots? The rookie salary cap was supposedly put into place so that teams would be able to give more money to veteran players. I don't think the intention was to just give more money to the veteran players who are already getting more money.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So will the result be a wider margin between the have's and have nots?
It should be considerably more forgiving to bad teams. If Jamarcus Russel got the contract Cam Newton got, the Raiders would obviously have more cap room/flexibility. It should increase the speed for bad teams improving if they draft well, and lessen the pain if they draft poorly.

I do think the rookie salary cap will encourage more players to leave college early. For players who will go first round as a junior, there's not the incentive to stay and try to be a top 5-10 pick. Furthermore, their rookie contract may be shorter, getting them to their 2nd contract faster.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:08 AM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad-wank View Post
onlinepharmadirect net/][img]lh3 googleusercontent com/-wDVczD535yI/T5yQr_r3cwI/AAAAAAAAADc/J9Vkm2CJPB8/s613/main_page_*******_03 jpg][/img]

pentoxifylline infertility codeina principio activo amlodipino codigo atc
estradiol bajo causas tamiflu tratamiento contra ah1n1 diltiazem efectos adversos
loratadina pseudoefedrina generico fosamax semanal 70 mg comprimidos cetirizina forma farmaceutica
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=905815
tamoxifeno infertilidad arcoxia y embarazo aldactone venta
atrovent bronquial wellbutrin compuestos voltaren bei grippe
flickr com/people/77861045@N08/
soma energetics furazolidona edad imipramina marcas
amoxicilina tifoidea clonazepam risperidona fobia social prozac medical seeds 3
litio pc hydrocodone yellow pill watson 853 metronidazol primer trimestre
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=890350
levonorgestrel farmacodinamia triamcinolona chile parlodel chile
terbutaline doses for preterm labor dulcolax tiempo fluoxetina testimonios
flickr com/people/77850681@N08/
ativan tabletas 2 mg duloxetine twice a day adalat oros nifedipino 30 mg
aciclovir pensa para que sirve panadol venta litio fmc
tenoretic en chile triamcinolona infomed motilium nombre comercial
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=208747
estradiol norelgestromin dramamine ioma mometasona que es
lamotrigine tonic-clonic ****** sus efectos ampicilina dolor de estomago
flickr com/people/79628987@N02/
panadol efervescente lactancia lovastatin induces growth inhibition apoptosis ****** femenino en chile
propecia pelo sano oxicodona kairos zyprexa tiempo efecto
misoprostol componentes propecia men's health colchicina vademecum argentina
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=17325
zyban erfolg clorpromazina uso veterinario codeina noticias
******* ****** en bogota prozac limon ketoconazol propiedades fisicoquimicas
flickr com/people/77850681@N08/
****** sleeping problems aciclovir stada 200 mg terbutaline toxicology
clomid you should lortab good fibromyalgia doxazosina vejiga
****** dolor de piernas clonazepam lemax robaxin faes farma
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=28681
imodium vademecum litio emol sporanox español
metotrexato iv dosis xenical reductil españa arava prednisona
flickr com/people/79619445@N03/
claritromicina com mx carvedilol lactantes synthroid vendo
misoprostol proceso aciclovir dosis embarazo simvastatin prednisolone interaction
lamotrigine micronor linezolid fotos xenical nombres comerciales
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=389329
leflunomida vih litio pilas recargables aripiprazol royal pharma
gabapentina tabletas avodart comprimidos terramicina usos
flickr com/people/79615917@N02/
enalapril hipoartel verapamilo iny metronidazol dosis para perros
lamotrigina stada 50 mg mometasona furoato genfar ********** vitaminas
eritromicina chlamydia trachomatis litio utilidad ribavirina rbv
cbc-gc com/articulo php?n=961472
metronidazol gatos dosis micardis efectos secundarios glimepirida venta
espironolactona cabello carvedilol cyclosporine interactions ****** line
flickr com/people/77790629@N04/

Gotta hand it to you spammy...you might just have the best username on this forum.
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that I actually liked the spambots more before Scott/Shane/Whoever took away their ability to post links.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The rookie salary cap was in place because rookies were starting to get contracts that paid them the top 5 of their position, before even playing a game. And if they busted, it set the franchise back. Now, a team can just throw that bust out and not worry about it. For instance, say Gabbert blows again this year and the Jaguars get the first pick. There would be nothing holding them back from taking a QB with that pick as they don't have the bank invested in Gabbert like the Rams do with Bradford, like the Raiders did with Russell, and so on.
I would argue that the way it used to be encouraged players to come out sooner than it does now. I don't see a sudden surge of more underclassmen declaring.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
The rookie salary cap was in place because rookies were starting to get contracts that paid them the top 5 of their position, before even playing a game. And if they busted, it set the franchise back. Now, a team can just throw that bust out and not worry about it. For instance, say Gabbert blows again this year and the Jaguars get the first pick. There would be nothing holding them back from taking a QB with that pick as they don't have the bank invested in Gabbert like the Rams do with Bradford, like the Raiders did with Russell, and so on.
I would argue that the way it used to be encouraged players to come out sooner than it does now. I don't see a sudden surge of more underclassmen declaring.
That's what I thought until the draft set a record this year with the most underclassmen declaring with 63. I think that players might actually declare earlier now because they now that they can only play football for a finite number of years. By not declaring earlier they are pushing that big pay day a year into the future, and since football players want to get paid they'll declare early under they new CBA. I fully expect the trend of more underclassmen declaring to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Salaries are irrelevant. It's all about guaranteed money. No one except a top 5 QB can expect to be paid every penny in a $100+ mil contract.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL salaries will keep rising so long as the league keeps expanding and the dollar keeps weakening.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuyjuikikl View Post
This is true. So will the result be a wider margin between the have's and have nots? The rookie salary cap was supposedly put into place so that teams would be able to give more money to veteran players.
I think it will have the desired effect. Every team will have more of their cap money to spend on vets (and a cap floor to boot), but not every team has guys that will be demanding absolute 'push the limits' top dollar. So they will likely use it to retain mid range+ vets.

In any case, I don't think the salary system how it was before was stopping many teams from keeping who they wanted in most instances, so I don't see more of the pie for vets meaning only the elite will get a lot more money and that's it - teams will still want to hang onto the other guys just like before.

Although I guess if the league really wanted to spread the wealth to more vets they could have raised the vet minimal significantly.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Under the previous CBA NFL teams had to pay huge amounts to rookies. Under the new system they can pay the money they saved to veterans or they can keep it themselves.

The NFL used spreading the money to veterans as an excuse to save money.

Not to mention it was getting pretty ridiculous that the highest paid player at some positions were rookies.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
NFL salaries will keep rising so long as the league keeps expanding and the dollar keeps weakening.
Yeah, pretty much. In the 90's, it looked like NBA salaries were going to rise to completely insane levels. Michael Jordan was signing one-year contracts that paid him $30 Million per year. 15 years ago, Jordan earned something like $33 Million for one season; but Kobe was the highest paid player last season, at about $25 Million. The league stopped expanding after the MJ Gravy Train, and I wouldn't be surprised if inflation-adjusted revenue declines eventually force them to consolidate one or two teams (if a guy like Durant doesn't turn into their new cash cow).

The weakening dollar is a great point, btw. People rarely think about that. It's just like the way that every few years we have a new "highest grossing movie EVER," but they never mention inflation and population increases.

Last edited by WCH : 06-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Yeah, pretty much. In the 90's, it looked like NBA salaries were going to rise to completely insane levels. Michael Jordan was signing one-year contracts that paid him $30 Million per year. 15 years ago, Jordan earned something like $33 Million for one season; but Kobe was the highest paid player last season, at about $25 Million. The league stopped expanding after the MJ Gravy Train, and I wouldn't be surprised if inflation-adjusted revenue declines eventually force them to consolidate one or two teams (if a guy like Durant doesn't turn into their new cash cow).

The weakening dollar is a great point, btw. People rarely think about that. It's just like the way that every few years we have a new "highest grossing movie EVER," but they never mention inflation and population increases.
To be fair the weak dollar could have an adverse effect on the revenue when you look beyond a couple of years. But right now it's definitely helping.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With a dropping dollar, even if real revenue stops growing as fast as it has been, players will continue getting bigger and bigger dollar amounts on their deals.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mario got 96 mill not 100. incentives can make it 100 mill.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just imagine that eventually QBs will take up 95% of a team's salary as that is the only position in the NFL that matters

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So rumor has it salary cap isn't going to increase much next year.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL is in the entertainment business and the salaries its stars receive are minuscule compared to what an actor or actress can make in a season and all their money is guaranteed. At leat half a dozen actors and actresses make over 100 million a year with many more in the 50 to 99 million category but nobody complains about that. Sport fans just love to complain about high salaries but in today's world, sport figures really don't come close to the salaries of highly successful CEO's or many other professions, they are just reported more by the sports media.
Salaries in the entertainment industry are based on profits and as long as profits continue to grow, salaries will expand with them. 25 years from now, fans will wonder what all the fuss was about after salaries go up 10 to 50 fold from today's numbers just like they did in the last 25 years. Right now sport salaries are peanuts compared to other professions.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I sure would like to know which actors make $100 million a year. Only a handful of actors charge $20 mil per movie, which equates to them making 5 movies per year. Really?

Quote:
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
i just imagine that eventually QBs will take up 95% of a team's salary as that is the only position in the NFL that matters
Minimum salaries will probably prevent it. If it weren't for minimum salaries, I'd imagine that most punters and "special teams aces" would be earning 50k a season.

I'm guessing that's why Brees, Manning, and Brady headlined the anti-trust lawsuit.

Last edited by WCH : 06-27-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The NFL is in the entertainment business and the salaries its stars receive are minuscule compared to what an actor or actress can make in a season and all their money is guaranteed. At leat half a dozen actors and actresses make over 100 million a year with many more in the 50 to 99 million category but nobody complains about that. Sport fans just love to complain about high salaries but in today's world, sport figures really don't come close to the salaries of highly successful CEO's or many other professions, they are just reported more by the sports media.
Salaries in the entertainment industry are based on profits and as long as profits continue to grow, salaries will expand with them. 25 years from now, fans will wonder what all the fuss was about after salaries go up 10 to 50 fold from today's numbers just like they did in the last 25 years. Right now sport salaries are peanuts compared to other professions.
I think this is pretty rare. It probably only happens to actor / actress once in their life time (I'm thinking like Will Smith around the time MiB came out). He might have made 100 million in a single year, but it would be rare.

The more important part though, is that Will Smith wasn't on a team with a salary cap where he took a large percentage of it. Movies are budgeted by different companies and different people.

The actor / actress analogy would only fit if a player was playing for multiple teams and getting paid by each.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I don't think that anybody said that players are overpaid or complained about the salaries. Sports fans are pretty sophisticated when it comes to salary issues, as they relate to the pricing mechanism.

Last edited by WCH : 06-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.