Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default New OL Coach Paul Boudreau - His numbers

I have read a few articles about the Rams' new coaching staff. Paul Boudreau, their new offensive line coach, had me quite intrigued, having coached several teams that had great running success. I decided to compare our stats from last season with stats from teams he has coached. It turns out his teams have been very efficient throwing the ball as well.

I compared stats in 5 categories: Passing yards, Passing TD's, sacks allowed, Rushing Yards, and Rushing TD's. These are total team stats. I went back through Boudreau's last 5 coaching stints with Atlanta ('08-'11), St. Louis ('06-'07), Jacksonville ('03-'05), Carolina ('01-'02) and Miami ('99-'00). Here is my comparison...

2011 Rams

3258 passing yards
9 passing TD's
10 int's
55 sacks
1667 rushing yards
7 rushing TD's

Average of Boudreau's last 5 teams (13 seasons)

3518 passing yards
20 passing TD's
32 sacks
1812 rushing yards
13 rushing TD's

A few things to consider...of the 13 seasons compared, Boudreau's teams gave up less than 30 sacks 6 times, including all 4 seasons he spent in Atlanta. His two seasons with the highest sack totals were in '06 (49) and '07 (48) in St. Louis under Scott Linehan. In this 13 year span only one of his offensive linemen has gone to the Pro Bowl, Tyson Clabo of Atlanta in 2010. This tells me that he has gotten great production from average linemen much like what we have in St. Louis, save for Scott Wells, who was a Pro Bowler last year in Green Bay.

All things considered, if this year's Rams team produces along the lines of the average of Boudreau's teams from the past, it would be an improvement of 260 passing yards, 11 passing TD's, 145 rushing yards and 6 rushing TD's, and a reduction by 23 sacks. Obviously, the line cannot throw and catch and score touchdowns, but it all begins in the trenches. I'm not as worried about our offensive line woes as I once was. I think he is going to light a fire under some asses and we are going to see a huge improvement up front this season.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boudreau's kind of a mixed bag for me. I understand he's had some success as a unit coach elsewhere, but I have bad memories of his Rams unit from '07. I think he has his work cut out for him in St. Louis, where the only two proven pieces on this line seem to be at center and right guard.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Boudreau's kind of a mixed bag for me. I understand he's had some success as a unit coach elsewhere, but I have bad memories of his Rams unit from '07. I think he has his work cut out for him in St. Louis, where the only two proven pieces on this line seem to be at center and right guard.
I fully agree. I am not calling him Captain Turnaround or anything. That being said, his teams' worst seasons are, for the most part, significantly stronger than what we have had here recently.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote