Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I'm not debating the fact that football is big in Ohio, I'm saying that it is as big in other places. I can't really see any place topping Texas but that's just me.
Weather permits football year round in a state like Texas.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard someone (an analyst, I can't remember who) suggest that Chicago should get a 2nd NFL franchise (like baseball).

That would be terrible.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I heard someone (an analyst, I can't remember who) suggest that Chicago should get a 2nd NFL franchise (like baseball).

That would be terrible.
Where would the fans come from? No fan and I mean NO FAN would ever convert from the Bears to a new team....no way in hell.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
go_ravens94
Veteran

go_ravens94 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
Where would the fans come from? No fan and I mean NO FAN would ever convert from the Bears to a new team....no way in hell.
Yeah, I agree. The Bears are Chicago.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

missippi or bama needs a team
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate to say but Miss is pretty poor

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said it a million times, either Austin or San Antonio. And those of you quoting populations of cities to help support/bash arguments, you don't understand how it works. It's about how big the TV market is.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Phrost can't really believe that Ohio is a bigger football state than Texas, California, or Florida.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I've said it a million times, either Austin or San Antonio. And those of you quoting populations of cities to help support/bash arguments, you don't understand how it works. It's about how big the TV market is.
i heard austins a nice city

Old 04-14-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I know it's a big state, but I would rather see a state with no team get one than add a third to Texas.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:41 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
It's probably the greenest big city in America. It's nothing like a normal urban city.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:49 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think San Antonio, Los Vegas, Portland, Orlando, Oklahoma City, or Memphis are the most likely areas.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Belish
Rookie

Belish hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Anyone who's suggesting Toronto doesn't quite understand the whole TV revenue thing.

The NFL thrives on its huge TV contracts that are split evenly amongst the teams. In Canada, however, the Canadian stations bid for the rights to broadcast in Canada and put in their own commercials, which is why we don't see the good Super Bowl commercials.

The problem is that these contracts only factor in US ratings. As a result, the ratings people only record half of the potential viewers because all the Canadian viewers don't register for American TV ratings. Why would advertisers pay for only half an audience? I doubt that the FCC and the CRTC (the Canadian equivalent of the FCC) would agree to merge revenues.

As much as I'd like to see an NFL franchine in Toronto, it's an economic impossibility.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
bryanGENE

San Antonio..great sports city.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
bryanGENE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
austin is a college town, no professional sports please.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't see a need to add any more franchises. There are 32 franchises currently, and they are all doing well (well = turning a profit). Yes, things could be better, but there is a huge TV contract, the merchandise is selling, and most teams play in front of sold out crowds on Sundays. Between the AFL, NCAA, and NFL, I would believe that football is the most popular sport in America in terms of ratings and money earned. The NFL owners benefit tremendously from expansion. The huge entrance fee is split among the owners, and the added TV markets make the bargaining power for television contracts even larger.

The big problem I see with expansion is that it waters down the talent pool. Teams can protect players, then the expansion franchise can pick from the dregs. After that, it takes at least 3 years for the team to improve enough that they can be even baseline competitive. I also don't see that much new talent flowing into the NFL every year that there are 60+ new jobs that need to be created. The loss of talent and spreading of draft picks among another franchise will weaken the league in general, and that's not what anyone wants.

I see everyone in this thread throwing out names of larger cities without thinking about history, media clout, public monies, and whether it makes sense. IMO, no city necessarily needs a team so badly that it would absolutely benefit the NFL to make this move. Los Angeles is a huge market, but people really don't care. The city and state are also unlikely to build a stadium for a new ownership group. Las Vegas is an interesting market, but the presence of the gambling and sports books, the likelihood for trouble, and the sometimes transient population makes it a very questionable destination. Other cities I've seen proposed (Austin, San Antonio, Milwalkee, San Jose, Portland) don't have the legitimate clout to make it worthwhile.

A new team would crush the talent base in the NFL and lead to a lesser product. The current divisional balance would also be eroded. The draft pool would be strained, and it would lead to a loss of overall quality, not a gain. I would much rather see a relocation of a team that has revenue troubles than a new team in the league. The NFL shouldn't make the mistake that the NHL and MLB made. When things are going well, don't make a drastic change that will mess things up. Period.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post

A new team would crush the talent base in the NFL and lead to a lesser product. The current divisional balance would also be eroded. The draft pool would be strained, and it would lead to a loss of overall quality, not a gain. I would much rather see a relocation of a team that has revenue troubles than a new team in the league. The NFL shouldn't make the mistake that the NHL and MLB made. When things are going well, don't make a drastic change that will mess things up. Period.
Which is why most people have just said to move a team. Most everyone has agreed that adding a team wont work.

Milwaukee

Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure the NFL owners might want their cut of a joining fee ($10mm-$20mm for little work on their part), but the overall problems outweigh the benefits here.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
J-Hype
Rookie

J-Hype hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

what team would move and why?
J-Hype is offline   Reply With Quote