Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Really? That is the best you can do? Harbaugh wasn't even upset about it. But wait, it has to be by the logic you defined right? Because of this one mistake, he is still a selfish person, hasn't grown in his life as a player, and doesn't care about his team. Forget everything else. A 30 yard penalty changes a man. Yes. And Harbaugh has to talk to him like child. It can't possibly be the notion that Harbaugh was serious about that matter in the game, but decided to not be as enthusiastic. I guess Tony Dungy thought all of his players were moronic people by nature when they committed penalties because of the way he talked, which was quite soft spoken.

"See! See!!! I told you he was selfish!!! Look 30 yard penalty! That proves it!!!"
That was my point. Harbaugh didn't seem upset, which is very against his personality. It seemed like he was treating Vernon with kid gloves, because he could lose him. And don't compare that to Dungy who I don't think has ever raised his voice in his entire life. In the biggest game of his career Vernon Davis made two dumb penalties and it didn't see to bother him at all. No "Sorry coach, won't happen again". Even his own teammate later had to bring it up, again speaking to him like a child. It just seems to me he is fragile. Like they can't piss him off and call him on his BS because they are afraid they will completely lose him like Singletary did.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
That was my point. Harbaugh didn't seem upset, which is very against his personality. It seemed like he was treating Vernon with kid gloves, because he could lose him. And don't compare that to Dungy who I don't think has ever raised his voice in his entire life. In the biggest game of his career Vernon Davis made two dumb penalties and it didn't see to bother him at all. No "Sorry coach, won't happen again". Even his own teammate later had to bring it up, again speaking to him like a child. It just seems to me he is fragile. Like they can't piss him off and call him on his BS because they are afraid they will completely lose him like Singletary did.
LOL how would you know Harbaugh's personality? You took a conversation out of context during the flow of the game and posted it as evidence to try and prove that Vernon Davis hasn't matured as a player and is a selfish indvidual.

I don't recall see Harbaugh giving hell to his players on the sideline on a routine basis. He isn't Singletary. Why can't I compare that to Dungy? He does raise his voice. At the officials. George Seifert was the same way with his players years back. Yeah I'm sure the 49ers are so afraid to lose Vernon Davis, that they are going to treat him as if he has a fragile psyche or is a headcase a la Terrell Owens. Yeah that coaching staff has no balls at all.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those end zone celebration rules don't even have any logical consistency. If a guy celebrates a TD by going down on one knee to pray, it's cool; but if another player goes down on two knees and points at the sky, it's unsportsmanlike conduct. Vernon Davis jumping on the camera platform is an example of using a "prop," but the Packers get a free pass every time they celebrate with a Lambeau Leap. Okey dokey then...
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just one outside perspective. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. I never realized 49ers became the sensitive fans on here.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Those end zone celebration rules don't even have any logical consistency. If a guy celebrates a TD by going down on one knee to pray, it's cool; but if another player goes down on two knees and points at the sky, it's unsportsmanlike conduct. Vernon Davis jumping on the camera platform is an example of using a "prop," but the Packers get a free pass every time they celebrate with a Lambeau Leap. Okey dokey then...
The Lambeau Leap has been "grandfathered in".

LOL since when, 1992?

Quote:
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Well the other penalty was certainly the more egregious one.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Just one outside perspective. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. I never realized 49ers became the sensitive fans on here.
You can have your opinion on the matter. Other people having a similar opinion doesn't really boost your stance. Argumentum ad populum isn't a saving grace. I'm just debating your basis for your conclusion. Sensitivity has nothing to do with the issue.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Well the other penalty was certainly the more egregious one.
Maybe. Doesn't mean Vernon's overall character is diminished because of it. That's like questioning Thurman Thomas and his integrity because he couldn't find his helmet on first play of the Super Bowl for the Bills' offense.

If I recall correctly Vernon was retaliating because Deon Grant shoved Anthony Davis in the face after Anthony Davis and I believe Michael Boley were in a tussle. Vernon shouldn't have done it, but it wasn't like he was deliberately going out of his way to take a cheap shot. He was trying to aid a teammate.

Regardless, that one incident doesn't prove anything and Vernon being a selfish person and/or headcase.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Didn't you just say that you watched a game from the 1994 season the other day with the Giants and Cowboys and claimed that a lot of schemes run now and days aren't all the different and when it comes down to it, players just have to execute?
Yes I did. Because the choice route concepts that NE runs have been around forever so the Choice Route offenses of today aren't any different from what we saw in the 80s in terms of depth.

But it's not the same as what SF runs. Schemes have been around forever, but not all schemes are the same. You're comparing a WCO to a Run N Shoot. That's like comparing a 3-4 to a Cover 2.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Lambeau Leap has been "grandfathered in".

LOL since when, 1992?
I don't know which year LeRoy Butler originally did it, but it was popularized in '95. I remember the year, because Robert Brooks popularized it the year that he became "the man" after Sterling Sharpe had to retire (and Sterling retired after '94 -- I cried like a baby).

Last edited by WCH : 06-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yes I did. Because the choice route concepts that NE runs have been around forever so the Choice Route offenses of today aren't any different from what we saw in the 80s in terms of depth.

But it's not the same as what SF runs. Schemes have been around forever, but not all schemes are the same. You're comparing a WCO to a Run N Shoot. That's like comparing a 3-4 to a Cover 2.
Didn't Vafy-ya already say that he played under Martz though which did involve a complex offense. But there was never any mention of Martz or anyone saying Vernon was "too stupid" (or implications) to grasp the concepts. Vernon, like all of Martz's tight ends during the majority of his tenure in NFL coaching, has rarely used tight ends as he focal point of his offense.

Even if you want to say that Mike Martz's offense isn't the same as New England's, it's still complex as past players have attested to. Like Vafy-ya also said, this notion that Vernon Davis doesn't have the intelligence to operate in New England's offense, or any complicated offense for that matter is unfounded. Especially when you don't even know the person. The way you made it sound was as if it was a factual impossibility.

And I was never comparing San Francisco's offense to New England's.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 06-25-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

What are your opinions on the Packers version of the WCO vs the Run-N-Shoot? I've argued (in sports bars) that the McCarthy/Philbin system is basically a Run-N-Shoot system that uses WCO concepts and terminology, along with a little bit of the old Wishbone (just to spruce things up a bit, and typically using at least one TE as a FB in a "jumbo" package). I also argue that Philbin is the primary architect of the system.

Last edited by WCH : 06-25-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, this thread went down the shitter.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Didn't Vafy-ya already say that he played under Martz though which did involve a complex offense. But there was never any mention of Martz or anyone saying Vernon was "too stupid" (or implications) to grasp the concepts. Vernon, like all of Martz's tight ends during the majority of his tenure in NFL coaching, has rarely used tight ends as he focal point of his offense.

Even if you want to say that Mike Martz's offense isn't the same as New England's, it's still complex as past players have attested to. Like Vafy-ya also said, this notion that Vernon Davis doesn't have the intelligence to operate in New England's offense, or any complicated offense for that matter is unfounded. Especially when you don't even know the person. The way you made it sound was as if it was a factual impossibility.

And I was never comparing San Francisco's offense to New England's.
Let's talk about this in the TE thread.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
What are your opinions on the Packers version of the WCO vs the Run-N-Shoot? I've argued (in sports bars) that the McCarthy/Philbin system is basically a Run-N-Shoot system that uses WCO concepts and terminology, along with a little bit of the old Wishbone (just to spruce things up a bit, and typically using at least one TE as a FB in a "jumbo" package). I also argue that Philbin is the primary architect of the system.
I haven't really studied the Packers offense in depth, so it's hard for me to comment on it.

I will say this though, most offenses in the league have their inside guys run an option.

But an option route and a choice route in the Run N Shoot are 2 different things. The complexity of the choice varies from offense to offense, down to how the defender is covering you, not just what coverage they're in. And the amount of choices a WR has depends on the individual offense as well. Run N Shoot guys typically have the most complexity in their choices.

It makes sense when you think about it. The slot is so difficult to defend, if you give that guy a choice/option to expose the defense he's practically uncoverable if he's reading it right. He has all that space to operate in, you don't want to restrict him.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
What did you expect? This is a S thread. If you're watching a game on TV, you have no idea what they're doing 90% of the time.

This is why all-22 footage rocks my socks.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I believe the correct term is 'Spam Franned'.
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sure didn't expect it to turn into a Vernon Davis thread.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sure as hell didn't expect we'd dive into a pointless discussion/argument about Vernon Davis' IQ. I figured it'd be about the competency of Alex Smith.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

All it takes to get back on track is to start talking about the premise of the thread again. It's not that complicated.

Tyvon Branch. Good thing the Raiders tagged him. He would have been a good acquisition for some teams via free agency. Apparently his coverage skills still need a good amount of work from what I've researched, but he's done pretty well with tight ends including shutting down Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Gates, and Owen Daniels.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Speaking of coaches film, I think that it's going to show that Charlie Peprah is a far more competent safety than people give him credit for. I certainly wouldn't put him in the top-ten, but I do think he's criminally underrated. He seems to be good and solid in every aspect of the position.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Another safety I find to be criminally underrated: Dwight Lowery.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I like the SS from Cleveland too. Forgetting his name at the moment.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tj ward

i think morgan burnett could be a player to watch improve as well
Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still pretty surprised neither of our safeties made the list since they've been playing at a very high level for some time now, Kenny being one of the league's best deep safeties, a task only Earl Thomas, and arguably Ed Reed, is/are better at it right now.

On the otherhand we have Rolle, who's versatility is exactly where the position is heading. As teams throw to their TEs and slot receivers more and more, having your "in the box" safety able to man up on all those different types of inside receivers will also become progressively more crucial. Then you add that he's a really good blitzer and tackler, so it's not like you're sacrificing in the box ability for those cover skills. Dre Kirkpatrick is going to really excel in a similar role with the Bengals once Zimmer gives him a shot at playing corner.

All this while Adrian Wilson and Troy Polamalu land in the top 5. Troy, I at least get, theoretically, if teams move away from the spread, and he gets a dominant front 7 again, he could be a beast again. I tend to think neither of those things is all that likely and Troy will get more and more exposed, especially as his body lets him down more and he becomes even more limited.

But Arian Wilson? We are in the year 2012 right? The hell?

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote