Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm already upset that Harper is going to win that fan vote.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it too late to let Cutch start the All star game?

Burnett pitching tomorrow to give the Pirates a chance to get 8 games above .500 for the first time since the end of the 1992 season. Wow.

And I'll second the idea of Willingham being a Pirate and a Pirates-Mets NLCS.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK, we will take James MacDonald and Garrett Cole. And we will even through in a former MVP (not Mauer). Deal?

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well have to negotiate on the return some. Take your pick of AAA pitchers.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I'd be 100% happy if all the Pirates got was Cody Ross and Ryan Dempster.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since June 1st, Kyle Lohse has been an absolute monster. No way did I think he'd be our ace at this point in the season.

6 starts: 42.1 IP, 9 runs(9 earned), 24 strikeouts, 9 walks, 3-1, 1.91 ERA

Also, Allen Craig is ridiculous. played in 40 games this year, has 13 homers and 42 RBIs, batting .316.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I went back and read some of the offseason posts. The ones about the Melky/Sanchez trade were quite enjoyable.
Yeah. I had no idea what kind of prima donna that dude was back then.

And I studied Melky's numbers before the trade. Last year was no fluke and neither is this year. He's always been a good hitter. He simply figured it out. Evidenced by the only real change coming from his SLG numbers.

Also worth noting is Melky was traded in-part to make room for Lorenzo Cain...an unproven "prospect" who is less than two years younger than Melky. Not overly fair to Cain since he's been injured all year...but he's been injured all year. The biggest wrinkle is that Cain had way more trade value at the time and could have been included in a package for, say, Gio Gonzalez (along with Mike Montgomery and a few other guys the Royals have that are close-ish and had nice value (but kind of sketch) at the time).

But...at the time and not knowing anything about Sanchez's mentality (it's complete dog ****), it was a solid-ish move in an attempt to improve the starting pitching situation in KC, which is the only thing keeping them from the division crown even now (but especially so then).
Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J Sanchez has always had amazing stuff, but he has the composure of a tee-baller.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
J Sanchez has always had amazing stuff, but he has the composure of a tee-baller.
And the control of one too at times....
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

(I still don't think Melky will maintain this).

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Isn't Villalona coming back once he gets the visa ordeal straightened out?
I don't know about the Visa stuff, but Villalona is back in the SF organization playing in the DSL.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
I'm already upset that Harper is going to win that fan vote.
No! Chipper should be the winner!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, and it's not like I was sayin' that BA is the end all be all or anything like that. I just find it amusing that Uggla is hitting .235 on the year, and a paltry .160 over the past month.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Is it too late to let Cutch start the All star game?
You mis-spelled Chooch, lol.

I was at the Phillies AAA teams games yesterday and got to see 10 innings of baseball and the Iron Pigs beat the Scranton Yankees on a walk off wild pitch (after a walk off walk last night), but Howard was the DH last night and I figured I'd offer some input because I hadn't seen much news about him in here and figured someone is probably interested in knowing.

IDK if he is rushing himself back, or the organization is doing it, but its obvious he isn't ready. Luckily my friends and I had seats directly in line with left-handed batters back, so you could get a great view of their mechanics, but its obvious he isn't ready just watching him in the batters box. Instead of driving off his back leg and generating power with it, he really is only transferring his weight forward during his swing. His swing right now is all upper body. IDK if its because he isn't willing to truly test the Achilles yet or if its because he can't, but everyone there (even the drunk lady behind me who seemed like she knew very little about baseball) can tell he isn't anywhere close to 100% and doesn't have confidence in his recovery. I don't remember his exact line last night, but I think it was 1 for 4 with a double to left field (should've been a homer if he were able to drive off his back leg), a groundout to second, and either one or two strikeouts. His double came in his last at bat and was right down the third base line. I doubt even before his injury he would've been able to stretch it for a triple, but in his groundout and in this double he has a very noticeable limp, which is more properly labelled an uneven trot. Basically, he may be playing, but I don't expect him to be the player we was before the injury for a while. Until he is confident in his tendon, I would personally keep him in the minors, because most major league pitchers will eat him alive solely since they really don't have to worry about themselves becoming a highlight home run.

My only hope is that this work without the power he is used to will make him work harder to become a more balanced hitter, but I won't be holding my breath for that, lol. One positive thing I will say though is that he looks much slimmer than I'm used to seeing him, which means he is at least keeping in shape. He isn't BSing reporters when he says he is in better shape overall than he's ever been.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good thing Howard is in year 1 of a nice shiny new huge contract!

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
(I still don't think Melky will maintain this).
Maintaining .352 may be a bit lofty, but he can certainly maintain slightly better than his end of year numbers from 2011. The main difference between 2011/2012 and the rest of his career is he is getting contact more consistently. He made adjustments and learned how to cover the holes in his swing.

Jonathan Sanchez's numbers look like a pretty legit line for a single offensive player...
.287avg, 5 hr, 52 hits, 35 rbi, 40bb/32k

Last edited by nepg : 07-03-2012 at 08:10 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Maintaining .352 may be a bit lofty, but he can certainly maintain slightly better than his end of year numbers from 2011. The main difference between 2011/2012 and the rest of his career is he is getting contact more consistently. He made adjustments and learned how to cover the holes in his swing.

Jonathan Sanchez's numbers look like a pretty legit line for a single offensive player...
.287avg, 5 hr, 52 hits, 35 rbi, 40bb/32k
Except that's not true at all. He has a .390 BABIP which almost 70 points higher than last year so that's going to come down. As far as the contact thing.

2005 - 86.7 %
2006 - 87.6 %
2007 - 88.1 %
2008 - 87.5 %
2009 - 89.0 %
2010 - 87.4 %
2011 - 88.3 %
2012 - 88.8 %

Remarkably similar. He's making better contact outside the strike zone but worse than in the strike zone.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Except that's not true at all. He has a .390 BABIP which almost 70 points higher than last year so that's going to come down. As far as the contact thing.

2005 - 86.7 %
2006 - 87.6 %
2007 - 88.1 %
2008 - 87.5 %
2009 - 89.0 %
2010 - 87.4 %
2011 - 88.3 %
2012 - 88.8 %

Remarkably similar. He's making better contact outside the strike zone but worse than in the strike zone.
NERD!!!!!!!
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah who wants facts to get in the way of a bogus argument.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmmmm, no posts about Zach Wheeler over the past three weeks ...

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Hmmmmm, no posts about Zach Wheeler over the past three weeks ...
Hit a bit of a rough patch. Still having a great year and still expect him to be a top 15 prospect when all is said.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yank's Low-A trio of Tyler Austin, Gary Sanchez and Mason Williams finally promoted to High-A Tampa.

I'm guessing whenever Slade can field again (DHing since hes been back) he'll move over to left giving us a Heathcott - Williams - Austin OF in Tampa. That will be fun to watch for the rest of the year.

It'd be nice if DBJ and Culver were playing better, but they'll likely finish the year in Low-A.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post

2005 - 86.7 %
2006 - 87.6 %
2007 - 88.1 %
2008 - 87.5 %
2009 - 89.0 %
2010 - 87.4 %
2011 - 88.3 %
2012 - 88.8 %

And his babip last year was about 50 points higher than the years before... Here making much better contact and is using all parts of the field. The reason he can maintain is because he's simply a much better hitter than he was in the past. It seems like you're suggesting luck, which out isn't.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Haha I just have you all his contact percentages. He's not making more contact at all. You're suggesting something that's just not true. I think he'll end up having a similar year to 2011 but he's not going to continue to hit at this rate.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Only two previous years were comparable, and that there were two previous years that were similar is why last year and this year aren't flukes. He's just been making better contact on top of more contact and isn't trying to pull everything like he used to (evidenced by his babip). Again, you come off as though you are suggesting it's pure luck.

Last edited by nepg : 07-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote